Bear in Diamond Hill

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the big, black bear cruising around D. Hill last night? I wanted to get a closer look , as he strolled right past me, but my friend pulled me back. No photo as my phone is an antique..almost 8 years old.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

Was it at the top
Of the hill or down bottom?

The little guy strolled up Highland to Parkview between 9:00 and 9:30

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
May '15

It's usually up at the top. I haven't seem it yet, but my neighbor has spotted it or one of its friends crossing my lawn a few times since last Fall.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
May '15

Near Ridge St.... right in the middle of D. H. , walking through a couple of yards.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

sallysimpson you need to visit our fine community more often. The Bears are regular guests around here, especially on garbage day.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
May '15

I've only seen one (last spring) down on Brookside, and it looked like he was hightailing it up the hill behind my neighbors house. They are pretty cool to watch. When I lived in Panther Valley I would see them almost every day.

We live in Hackettstown (46 W) and have had bears coming into our yard for a while now. Last visit they knocked down my hummingbird feeder and broke it into bits and also took the house gutter along with it. Last night hubby forgot to put ammonia in one of the garbage cans and from what we hear a Mama Bear and her cubs enjoyed that. From what I am know... bears are pretty plentiful this time of year not only in Diamond Hill but in areas elsewhere...

joyful joyful
May '15

One was walking around some neighborhoods in Washington on Saturday.
Police notified those who lived in the area to keep their pets inside. I was at my hairdresser and all of us were advised to look out the window to check for a bear before going outside to our cars!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
May '15

I saw one bear near my house and now every time I go outside, I look around first, just in case. You never know where they will show up. They are not intimidated by people.
Did anyone see the news about 2 weeks ago of the bear walking down Bloomfield Ave
in Bloomfield, like he was a shopper.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '15

Was he shopping at the liquor store for some Labatt? They do that you know.

https://twitter.com/labattusa

http://patch.com/new-jersey/bloomfield/black-bear-sightings-increase-spring-arrives-essex-county-0

He was window shopping.

May '15

I don't care who you are, human or bear, that urn just begs to pee in it. Can't blame the bear at all, it's perfect after you've been holding it in for 4 months!!

LOL! too funny GC

May '15

Hey, hibernation is a bear. ;-)

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true

We see bear quite regularly on Canal Way .... our back yard faces the hill and they often wander down from the woods.

Btw, ... thanks GC for your comment. I'm still cleaning the coffee off my monitor. :-)

Robert Durana Robert Durana
May '15

Bear family struck again last night but did not get too far. Ammonia in cans and also used cat litter plus cans sealed down and secure did not keep Mrs. Bear and her cubs from dragging the can down the back yard almost to the woods and making a big hole in the bottom of the can (ruined garbage can) and start pulling out the bag from that end ..suddenly realizing that the contents were not to their liking so left the bag sticking out of the bottom of the ruined garbage can. Now what????

joyful joyful
May '15

They want steak and potatoes Joyful! Picky, picky. They act like they are humans.

May '15

A friend said mothballs also work to deter the bears. She just puts the mothballs around the garbage can, and so far the bear is staying away.

Ms. Fishy Ms. Fishy
May '15

Now what?? Keep your cans in your garage and garbage does not go out until morning of delivery.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '15

Thanks for the suggestion, Ms. Fishy ..will try that next. @ CraftbeerBob: I would be happy to do that except our home has a attached open carport and not a garage. Someone I know found a hole in their garage door from the bears trying to get to the garbage cans inside. Any bird feeders in the neighborhood are put away too at this point or have been destroyed...

joyful joyful
May '15

Maybe the waste company can help you with a solution.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '15

I will say it again, have had my garbage cans outside the house for 15 years and never had any animal get into them. Nothing around them to keep animals away. The only issue I had once was I left a garbage bag outside the side door and the neighbors dog got into it. Guess I'm just lucky.

May '15

Yes, you are lucky, botheredbyuu2...We live on a private road near a lot of woods so we constantly have deer, fox, racoon, bear, feral cats, rabbits, etc. in our yards. We have lived here almost 26 years and this year has been the very worse for problems with the bear . They are so bold, my neighbor took a picture of one the other day while the bear waited for him to get a good shot!!

joyful joyful
May '15

My house backs up to 100 acres and yes, we have had fox, racoon, coyote, ground hogs in the yard. Rabbits are here all day long. 1 bear. Nothing has gotten into the trash. Better not speak too soon, LOL.

May '15

"while the bear waited for him to get a good shot"

They have good grooming habits you know. Never get out your camera until the bear has had a chance to brush out those awful tangles. Keep a comb and tweezer set nearby at all times. You never know when Yogi will be ready for his close up. ;-)

GC!!!!! You are a riot!!!

joyful joyful
May '15

Re: Bear in Diamond Hill

I'm regularly getting a pair - maybe the siblings who were here last year with their mother. Far end of Russling Rd.

Re: Bear in Diamond Hill

And here is a closeup of one from a few minutes ago.

RAD, she/he looks pretty big. I'm in the middle of Russling Rd. Think he/she passed by me too as my dog was barking a lot.

Very cool pictures

=> Iris Might be the same ones. They come up the hill in my back yard and then I see them move east (towards H-town) along the ridge overlooking Johnson Rd. Looks like they are moving towards the wooded areas behind the houses just north of Thomas Drive. Maybe you are at the part of Russling where they cross over to the south. My wife has seen them a few times crossing the road further down Russling.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.