Recomendations for shady area plants

have a big bald spot outside bedroom window- very shady area. thinking of putting low shrubs ( colorful, fragrant) , azalea, hydrangea or maybe some perennials lillies or something. i planted flower seeds but nothing came up. any suggestions...

stressed out stressed out
May '15

Astilbe or heuchera work well in shady areas. Also ferns, I just went out in my woods and dug up some ferns and they are doing great for my shady spots.

You challenge in a shady area is the "colorful, fragrant" part. Ferns do well but aren't high on the list for either of those. The azalea or rhododendron would satisfy the color part. Day lilies do very well in the shade and are great for the variety of colors.

iris has two other good flowering plants in astilbe and coral bells, the coral bells in particular have a variety of leaf colors to choose from. The other thing you might consider that flowers is hosta's. Just don't plant that if the area is easy accessible to deer.

All of those are good in the color area, but most fragrant things need more sunlight.

Hosta

Peter Peter
May '15

Japanese pieris/Andromeda is a small shrub that flowers and does well in the shade. Mountain Laurel, if you can find it, may be a good choice too.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

Re: Recomendations for shady area plants

Also, If you are looking for a not-seen-everywhere ground cover, search for Sweet Woodruff. Very easy to grow and deer resistant.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

Astilbe is about the only one of the things mentioned that the deer haven't decimated. Mine have been there for @ 20 years. Pretty blooms - not fragrant - feathery in appearance.

I agree with GC, color and fragrance don't really do well in the shade, but you do have options.

I would go to donaldson's and talk to Denise or one of the other very knowledgeable people there. They will give you great recommendations, and show you what your options are. For some spring color, one of the varieties of rhododendron may be an option.

Perrenials that are not shade tolerant will most certainly die, and shrubs that are not shade tolerant won't flower and will likely not thrive at all.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
May '15

If you want an annual plant option, coleus thrive in shade.

gm mom
May '15

Deer do not seem to eat Sweet woodruff. I have a yardful the have never touched, although they have eaten just about everything else. I have lots and can give you some, along with pachysandra if you like; also good in shade and deer don't eat. I live nearMountain Ave in Hackettstwn, off Mitchell Rd. E-mail me if you want plants or text 908-500-2237.

Dansker Dansker
May '15

thank you for all the suggestions.

stressed out stressed out
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.