Best prices for pet food locally?

Who in/around Hackettstown has the best prices on pet food? I checked out Pet Smart for Natural Balance canned food and they are rather high.

Thanks.

Pet Lover Pet Lover
May '15

We actually switched our dog to a mostly grain free food that is a private label of Tractor Supply. The salmon and potato variety. It's a pretty reasonable price too. They carry many of the higher end brands. Before that, she ate Iams and we'd usually buy it at Target.

Tracy Tracy
May '15

Check Tickner's...for Merrick grain-free dog food (premium brand), they were almost the same price as online.

Davis Davis
May '15

I've been getting mine from amazon. With amazon prime I pay no shipping and it comes in 2 days and is much cheaper.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

Jim's pet on Main St - great service and competitive pricing
Support our local shops :)

kepa
May '15

Jim's Pet ?.....Is that the "Hackettstown Pet Supply", near the Chinese Restaurant on Main Street? I heard they have very good prices ~ I'll have to check them out soon ! Thank you.

Pet Lover Pet Lover
May '15

Yes, Pet Lover, it is Hackettstown Pet Supply, the prices usually beat or at least match the large chain stores, plus they will load any large/heavy items in your car for you.

A year or so ago, when several pet food company's had recalls, Jim researched and changed several of the brands he carries to ones that were not involved. He will order specific items for you as well, if you want something that he doesn't have.

Lynnada Lynnada
May '15

I also buy grain free. Get it at Hackettstown Pet. They were cheaper and close to home. Plus he also has grain free treats, toys and anything else you need for your furry baby.

teenie teenie
May '15

I also buy everything at Hackettstown Pet on Main Street. Jim will order any special items you need plus he gives a discount if you buy a case (24 cans). Parking is never a problem. Behind the store is plenty of free parking. If available, you can park directly in front of the store. He seems to really care about the animals.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
May '15

I read that Grain Free can increase the risk of the dogs stomach twisting? I switched my dogs food to grain free, but she doesnt has to be on it. Just wondering if I should switch back. Its said it makes them gassier.

gypsymom gypsymom
May '15

believe it or not walmart is cheap

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

Where did you read that gypsymom? Grain free means just that, no grains. Feeding large quantities of food and water to a large, deep chested dog before exercising it can cause the stomach to twist on its axis, but I have never heard of your claim. Can you kindly post a link to what you've read?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

gypsymom - I hadn't heard that either. Source? Vet? Or online article maybe?

Having very energetic German Shepherds, though, I always exercise the heck out of them, then feed, then have them rest for an hour and a half before allowing more rowdiness to begin. Just to be safe. Bloat is very scary.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

I use PetGoods down in Ledgewood/Succasunna. I currently cook (daily) boiled chicken and white rice for my dog and we've had major issue finding a dry kibble that she isn't allergic to. I go there because PetGoods lets me try the product for 7 days and I can return the unused portion for a full refund as long as I have the receipt. They've never given me a hassle so I appreciate that immensely given the fact that some of these specialty foods are serious $$$. They end up donating the food to shelters since it can't be sold once returned. We know almost immediately if a food isn't tolerated - one time just 6 pieces of kibble made the dog sick. It was such a relief to not have to lose money on that!

Antimony3 Antimony3
May '15

I cringe when I hear and see that people buy their dog food at Walmart. There are no quality dog foods sold at Walmart. Everything they sell has CORN as the first ingredient (a useless ingredient that has no nutritional value to a dog). Your dog is better off being fed table scraps.

CkrSpanLover CkrSpanLover
May '15

Rebecka I read it online. I believe web md for pets lol.

jaimie jaimie
May '15

All my dogs are on grain free due to allergies and never had a problem or issue like above. I buy mine at Hackettstown Pet.

teenie teenie
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.