Driving to Orlando

Hi looking for the way down to Fl...avoiding Balt/CD/Va area...heard some take the 78 to 81 route, then 81 to 77 south. Does this cut off a lot of traffic? Where is the halfway point to stop?
All the threads are old.
Thanks!!!

acl76 acl76
May '15

That way is fine , BUT!!! If there is an accident on 81 you are stuck with no alternatives. The Exits are a long way in between them. I cant help with Lodging. We drove straight through.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '15

Half way is still Dillon South Carolina

skippy skippy
May '15

I went to college in SC and I would go 22/78 through Harrisburg and pick up 81 South to 64 East to I95 in Richmond and take 95 South.....................

I took 95. Left at midnight ... Didn't hit traffic till I got into Florida.

Booster90 Booster90
May '15

Whatever you do do not use 95!!!! 81 and 77 are best. Come to Charleston S C every year. Stay off 95

you can use 95 going down just got to hit it at the right time, like maybe 10 am. Some people say the 81 thing is great, i did it twice, what they dont tell you is a ride that is all hills and the truckers cut off the cars in the left lane then you do 40, then back to 65 then back to 40, this is for hundreds of miles, i guess its less trafic but its a lousy ride, and i did not arrive earlier, it was later, hope this helps

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

When I've visited my brother-in-law in Norfolk, I've taken 301 into downstate Delaware (make sure your tank is full, you won't see a gas station for a long time) to 50 west into Annapolis. (The natives call it NAPLIS).

Around Bowie, take 301 South which gives you a nice rural ride into Virginia.

If you're a real dare devil, you could stay on the Delmarva Peninsula and take that Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel and experience the feeling of not seeing land whatever direction you look .... I would only do that if it is a beautiful day with no wind.

My wife kinda freaked out when we went that way, really got scared.

Or... you could take Garden State Parkway to EXIT 0 (Cape May) and take the ferry across Delaware Bay --- that puts you in downstate Delaware and you could do the coastal route into Virginia. I fed the seagulls cheese curls, such fun, those gulls love the junk food. Take in a Tides game, my favorite Triple-A ballpark.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

78 to 15 in Harrisburg is only 19 miles longer to DC. Used to use it all the time. Very pleasant traveling compared to 95. 81 would be 2nd choice.

Rach
May '15

Andy, a friend and I came back that way from NC once. It was indeed quite scary to be on a bridge then a tunnel then more bridge for what, 11 miles or so? Crazy.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
May '15

I used to do the drive from NJ to Orlando all the time taking the route you mentioned. I did 95 once and vowed never again. I now actually live in Charleston, SC burbs so I live off that route mentioned. The ride is not bad at all.

When we did stop (most time we didn't) we stopped where I live now

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Drive to Lorton Va and take the Amtrak Auto train. It will dump you off in Sanford Florida the following morning.

M & K M & K
May '15

Last time I went to Orlando I FLEW ... AirTran from Lehigh Valley.

I remember looking down at the bright lights of Charlotte at night, that was pretty cool.

When we came back and the plane was descending, some teenage girl shouted, "wow, there's Lehigh Valley Mall."

Yeah, I was real excited about seeing it, whoop dee doo. I was going to yell, "wow, there's City View Diner, there's Pep Boys," but better judgment took over.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Thanks Everyone! Think we will avoid 95 until south of DC.

acl76 acl76
May '15

Take the 81/77 route. Same time, no tolls, and it is a nice ride. Plan on stopping before 77. Not too many places to stay around there.

Stevie Stevie
May '15

Andy - I took both those routes and they both are pretty good. Been on The Chesp Bay Bridge Tunnel as a child a few times and as an adult and I must say as an adult its MORE scary. LOL! Beautiful rides anyway you go heading south.

I must agree, if you can, stay off 95. 81 is a LONG ride and yes, lots of crazy truckers, but a beautiful ride.

Good luck and have fun. Will be heading south to visit and home search in July! Can't wait!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '15

They used to have awesome flounder sandwiches at the rest stop in the middle of the bridge

skippy skippy
May '15

Can't beat the Chesapeake Bay area for seafood.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

We do the drive 3-4 times a year. 95 is awful with the Baltimore-DC corridor traffic and the construction south of DC (doesn't clear out until nearly Richmond) is a nightmare and can stop dead anytime night or day. 78 to 81 to 77 to 26 and back to 95 in SC is the best way. On the downside it is two lane for the most part and the moron truck drivers can be irritating but most of time it's fine and a nicer ride. Rock Hill, SC is exactly halfway (9 hrs from H'town) with a good choice of hotels and restaurants if you choose not to drive straight through.

ExTownie
May '15

I'm moving to Florida in July if everything goes well with selling my house. For what you said I guess I really need to avoid 95. I had never drove to FL. I always flew there but with 2 dogs, a 3 month old baby and my mother, I really need to know the best way there. Safe but free from traffic. I probably going to be making many stops ughhhh. Also any advise of how yo keep dogs calm in such a long trip. Thanks for the advise.

Bella76 Bella76
May '15

We drove down to Orlando last July and completed the trip in 18 hrs. Left H'town at 3AM...and arrived in Orlando at 9 PM ... with 3 kids ages 7, 11 and 12.

7 yr old slept all the way till our first stop in VA ...past DC metro area ...no traffic whatsoever at that hour.

Used 22/78 to Penn Turnpike...avoided 95 till past DC area. Smooth sailing on VA, NC, SC and GA. Hit traffic once in FL since it was evening rush by then. We made brief stops at literally every state border since my son is very into maps so he can collected state maps wherever we went.

babyboo
May '15

Bella76 - I drive from SC to NJ taking the 26/77/81 route all the time and I do this ride alone with three young kids (my kids are 6,6,and 5) and it is very safe.

As for taking 95 all the way,there are many areas I would not be comfortable stopping alone with three kids. South of Border is such a dump and I will never understand why some thing it is a great place.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Wow Mommyof3, I give you a lot of credit. I get very nervous with the trucks all around me when driving the hi-ways. Plus I don't like speed and I know if you aren't doing 80MPH+, cars and trucks push you out of the way.

May '15

On our way to NC on 95, and traffic has been awful so far !!

Mariann Mariann
May '15

botheredbyuu2 - when we used to drive to Orlando from Htown, I did 90% of all the driving while DH slept. Long rides with the kids don't scare me at all. I actually I am trying to convince my husband to drive from SC to California next year!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

LOL Mommyof3, that's a long trip. My DH does 95% of the driving. Says I drive too slow. No problem with me. : ) But when he's driving, I can't sleep. Have to be the other set of eyes on the road. Guess I'm just a nervous nellie.

May '15

I really don't mind long car rides and my kids are pros at now since they have been doing since they were 4 months old!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Take 78 to 81 (or 80 to 81) and then 77 South in southern Virginia through NC and then I-26 east towards Charleston back to 95. Halfway mark is Statesville NC, and it's got a lot of places to stay. Easiest from the traffic point, even Charlotte isn't very congested. You want to avoid as much of I-95 through NC and SC as possible - it's two lanes each direction only, with backups at VA line, Lumberton NC, and past Florence, near Lake Marion, and before I-26. Also, just because Statesville is half-way, you should be able to get down as far as Columbia in 9 hours, and 1-95 in 10 hours. The ideal place to try and stop may be either Columbia SC (if you come up short) or Walterboro on 95. From Walterboro you can make Orlando in 5-6 hours.

Also, to make your life easier (if you're going to Disney etc) - stay on I-95 in Florida until you get to the Bee-Line just south of Titusville. From there it's 30 minutes or less to International Airport, and another 20 minutes to parks. I-4 is a construction nightmare right now and by the Gallaria Mall just before Disney. Lastly, I-95 downtown Jacksonville is under severe re-construction, so you want to take the eastern loop 9A / I-295.

Stephan Stephan
May '15

I am near Raleigh if anyone wants to say "HI" lol

skippy skippy
May '15

I may be in that area in July. I will yell "Hi Skippy" when I drive thru. LOL

May '15

awesome! seriously if I can help ping me

skippy skippy
May '15

I thought you were in SC, Skippy

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

Cary NC

skippy skippy
May '15

Ah ok. I'm in SC now for a job interview but nowhere near I-95.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

Seems like a lot Htown lifers are moving too NC and SC! I am so glad to live down here!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

I drove to Hollywood Florida in April. Drove straight through. 95 South was fine going down but 95 North coming back was nothing but traffic! Accidents, road construction, etc. It was backed up for miles. I did get off of 95 at one point, but got back on because the alternate route was traffic lights every five miles. We made it down to Florida in 18 1/2 hours but coming back took us 23. I would pay the money and fly....wasted so much time on the road.

catlover1 catlover1
May '15

Last time we (my brother and I) drove down we made it from Budd Lake to Daytona Beach in about 12 hours.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

Holy crap Mark Mc, how the heck did you do that? I live in Charleston, Sc and it takes me 12 hours to get from Hackettstown to here. It's another 6 hours for us to get to Orlando!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Two drivers, NASCAR style pit stops for fuel/bathroom, and bouncing off the speed limiter for the truck (~96 mph) through the southern states at god-awful early morning hours...

Another time a friend and I drove down with a 27 foot trailer to the Miami area to pack up his sisters apartment. Budd Lake to Miami and back (wirh packing) in 52 hours.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

We live in Charlotte now and take the 81 route whenever we have to travel North. mommyof3 - You are near Charleston? It's wonderful there!! Seems quite a few of us are down here now.

Kathydg Kathydg
May '15

Thanks again, Stefan that is perfect. Flying is not an option. Going yo try to leave 3 amish and drive til early afternoon. Cannot wait for vaca!

dsl102927 dsl102927
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.