Hackettstown Hyundai won't honor warranty

Bought a used truck from hackettstown Hyundai, they sold me an extended warranty through a second party. Thought this was an excellent idea since the truck was for my son. Low and behold the transmission fails,the warranty company won't honor the warranty,this is a covered item and Hyundai refuses to stand behind their product they sold me! Is anyone else had problems with hackettstown Hyundai!

Dave spender Dave spender
May '15

Sounds to me like the second party is not honoring the warranty, not Hyundai. Did Hyundai warranty the truck or did you buy an extended warranty from another company and Hyundai was only selling the warranties on their behalf. You may be blaming the wrong people.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
May '15

Better business bureau on-line should help.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '15

Sometimes those second party warranty's will honor the warranty, but the purchaser
must pay to truck / tow the vehicle to their listed authorized repair facility in your area.

Embryodad Embryodad
May '15

Hope you learned your lesson about extended warranties. It's not HH that's responsible, it is the warranty company. I still can't believe people buy these things. If its for an automobile or a new computer, it just isn't worth it or the hassle they are going to put you through. File a complaint with the NJ attorney general. That should get them to jump a little. BBB is pretty much useless.

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/Pages/adr.aspx

NoHopeForHumanity NoHopeForHumanity
May '15

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/index.html

NJ division of banking and insurance governs this - make a report forthwith

skippy skippy
May '15

Surely they gave you a reason for denying your coverage. What did they say?

Gadfly Gadfly
May '15

I would think HH would honor the warranty they contracted to sell for the third party vendor and then recoup the cost from that vendor. Rather than watch the customer chase their tail on a warranty from a company/product, they chose to endorse & sell, to an unsatisfactory end. That would seem to be a good business decision to me.

weebiekins weebiekins
May '15

An expensive business decision. That's why they likely used the third party in the first place.

The warranty company is the issue. I can't see how this has anything to do with HH at all.

Justintime Justintime
May '15

I agree everything said about the 2nd Party warranty, but I also wonder how much selling was done about how good the 2nd Party warranty is by the salesman.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '15

BBB won an impossible case for me against Apple; close to $1,000 paid in full. Legally, no way I should have won, BBB just got Apple to do the right thing.

May '15

Did not buy a used sonata from hackettstown hyundia, partly because of the warranty being offered and price. This confirms I made the right decision.
Consider painting it yellow, like a lemon, and putting a sign on it telling the public where you bought it.
good luck

if I only knew then if I only knew then
May '15

I don't dispute MG in regards to the BBB - but banking and insurance in NJ has the force of law and can levy sanctions - I have had success pursuing that route - best of luck in any regard..

skippy skippy
May '15

The Hyundai dealer may not be legally responsible--that would depend on the details of the legal contract. But if they want to maintain a good reputation, then they should be offering extended warranties only through reputable companies that are going to honor those warranties properly.

That being said, I've had much success, filing formal complaints with the Consumer Affairs office (or the equivalent, in other states). They usually don't actually "force" a company to pay up, but just having the government contact a company to ask them to answer a complaint is usually enough to motivate them.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '15

Hackettstown Hyundai, sold you the warranty,they have to back it up! I would get a permit,and stand in front of there dealership on Saturday,with as many people as you can,with signs! They will respond,it will cost them much more then a warranty! I hope everyone keeps posting for your sake! Also post on facebook,Buyer beware!

LoBo - best idea ever!!! LOL!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '15

Make sure to read the actual contract. The brochure is not the contract.

Don't discount the power of social media. Post it on their Twitter and Facebook. Also post it on those of Hyundai in genera and the warranty company as well.

btownguy btownguy
May '15

These vehicle service contracts have so many loopholes. How do we know the op is correct and the trans is covered? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. There are no actual facts or details in the original post.
Vehicle service contracts are known for exactly this. Read the contract. If you are right then fight.
And if you are wrong then apparently start an internet smear.

I read a second party extended warranty contract once. The list of what was not covered was much longer than what was covered. The powertrain coverage looks better on a brochure. If the specific issue is seemingly covered, write them that you are contacting the NJ Div of Consumer affairs. Then file an online complaint. As for Hackettstown Hyundai, they should be explaining why the repair is not covered, or working with you to get a response from the warranty company that is in compliance with the contract. If they are selling a bad product, i.e., the warranty, they need to fix that. File a complaint against them also. Owners generally are made aware of those.

They sell used cars for a living. Did you really expect them to tell the truth? They have one goal, put as much money in their pocket as they can. The sales person gets a huge spiff for selling those extended contracts. Its the same as extended warranties at Best Buy or Verizon Wireless. The sales people get a huge percentage of the sale price of the extended warranty. That's why they make it sound so good. It never is.

hot under the collar
May '15

I completely agree CBGB

When looking at a new car from HH a few years ago, they had a great warranty but required maintenance at 3500 miles which was more frequent than the manufacturers requirement.

So keep that in mind when looking at any warranty.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '15

I am going through the exact same thing with their sister store Newton Kia ( same general manager ). A year ago I bought a uses Dodge Nitro , it had 52000 miles. It now has only 60000 miles. So you can see that I don't drive much. Last week I suffered a transmission failure as well. I also have an extended warranty. I called Newton Kia and they told me that they do not service dodge products, Even though they sold me the warranty.

If you call the warranty company on the contract or go to their website , they will usually give you the name of someone local that will honnor it. If you're is,the same as mine, Lee Miles and Aamco in Hackettstown are both listed. In my case I took mine to Elite Automotive in Byram, they said they will honnor the warranty because the company will pay by credit card, and Elite has a pretty good reputation.The only stipulation is that I had to authorize the tear down to make sure it was covered, if they do not authorize the repair, then I am responsible.

As far as purchasing the warranty, I was told by the finance department that it was a mandatory stipulation of the bank issuing the loan( which I doubt) but we let it go, and good thing because if this repair is not covered, I could be looking at upwards of $2000 or more.

Also for anyone interested Newton Kia / Hackettstown Hyundai are amongs the most disreputable dealers that I have ever seen. I spent 30 years as a service manager and never saw the dishonesty that they exhibited.

After purchasing the car, I was called a week later telling me there was a mistake in the paperwork, when we went back , the F&I manager said let me see something on your paperwork , my wife handed it to him and with out even looking at it , he immediately put it I the shredder, then tried to make us sign new paperwork that was almost $100 per month more. I said no , give me my old car, they said it was already gone, fortunately I had copies of the original documents, and when I threatened to call the news and all, the re did the contract at the original rate.

At this same time, after only a few days of having the car, I got a flat tire, it turns out the tire pressure valves were corroded and broke off, we spoke to the service manager, who said he would order new TPMS Senosrs for all 4 wheels , while waiting for the part to come in I had a second flat, this time after being towed to STS, the guy there told and showed me that all 4 were dangerous and would break, I could see that as well, so he said he would replace the sensor with old fashion rubber valve stems, as a temporary repair ( it was the day before Easter and we needed the car)

When I returned to Kia , they said because I had the valve stems changed out there was no proof the original sensors were bad , so they would not replace them, even though he had already looked at them 2 weeks earlier.

I placed many calls and emails to CJ Myer the general manager who never once returned my call , email or written letter. I filed a grievance with the BBB, the Kia service manager lied on the response and said that I refused to come back to the dealer. This was a lie, as I even have a repair order to prove that I was there, the BBB sent a second request for a resolution, the dealer refused to respond, Currenty this still sits as an unresolved case and the dealer do sent seem to care.

When I posted my problems on their Facebook page asking for help, my posts were immediately deleted, you will only see the positive stuff there.

My point in all of this detail it to make people aware. As I said, I spent over 30 years in car dealers as Service Advisor, Manager, Prep, Parts and Customer Service. In all that time I have never seen such poor respect from a dealer.

After doing some research , the owner of this dealership, whose name escapes me at the moment, has had several other dealers in NJ , and had lost them due to similar business practices, the state attorney general had fined them hundreds of thousands of dollars for improper business practices, one of which was taking money for extended warranties but never actually filing a warranty, if the customer didn't have a problem , they never knew,that they were screwed over.

All dealers have their people here and there that try to get one over on the customer, But in my Opinion Newton Kia/ Hackettstown Hyundai have people in upper management and ownership that not only condone this type of practice, they actually encourage it.

For those asking, the only reason that I didn't take them to small claims court was I had health issues and didn't need the added stress of it all. Also everything that I said here can be supported by documentation, either in my possession or online.

Anyone looking to buy a car needs to be careful, but here they seem to prey on those that are a little more naive.

Tony N Tony N
May '15

A lot of time the warranties have so many little rules that you know nothing about it. I know one that if you go more than 500 miles past the recommended oil change servicing they will not honor any work on the car saying you didn't properly maintain the car.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Tony, I too had been in the business for years as mechanic, service advisor, and service mgr for numerous dealerships.....unfortunately, bottom line are sales and maintenance dollar$$$$....leaving customer service and satisfaction in a far off distance. I read where the president/owner for these 2 dealerships was Drew Picon. I used to work for an Artie Picon (dad?) many years ago when I was with Lincoln/Mercury. I can tell you stories about what was going on there regarding customers and employees.....OMG !...guess certain things never change. Enuff said, you get the picture ?

If you call your lawyer, and tell him what is going on,they lose! Plus the cost of the lawyer,if the warranty was not explained to you, and you were not offered a better warranty, you win! Also the added charges, like window etch,Doc fee,etc,are just money making adds.Did you run a carfax?Did they tell you the car had a 159 point inspection,or not ! You should have a copy in your paperwork of the pre delivery inspection,and what work they did! The service department will have a record of what the sales manager approved, before putting the car on the lot.Trust me call your lawyer, you will win unfair practice.

If they seel the warranty to you, they are acting as an "agent" of that company, I beleive that makes them responsible ....check with an attorney ,

Steven Steven
May '15

JFC : I'm sure we can spend hours talking about the stuff we saw , both sad and funny too. We may have even crossed paths along the line. I've been out of the business for about 15 years at least. But my phillosophy had always been that if you give great customer service, the money will follow and for the most part it always did, but then some new GM would come in and get greedy and have you pull back on the CSI efforts, and of course the $$$ would drop and they want to know what your going todo about it...lol, usually it was at that point that started looking for another job.

And yes that's it Drew Piccon, don't know him but there's a lot you can find online.

I guess I'm still a little old school, all I want is to be treated the way that people expect me to treat them, so it saddens me to no end when I see a business that's really enjoyed and worked hard at , do such underhanded things.

But I know it's all about $$$.

Tony N Tony N
May '15

I bought a brand new hyundai accent from them with free tires for life. Come to find out they wouldn't honor that either claiming I had maintenance done on my car at a different garage. I called hyundai corp. Before I even went and had the oil change done else where and they assured me that my warranty would still be good. Apparently htown hyundai doesn't understand customer loyalty.

curiousc curiousc
May '15

What does where you get your oil changed have to do with your tires??

Heidi Heidi
May '15

Heidi
they claimed it voided my free tires for life warranty by going to a different garage.

curiousc curiousc
May '15

You really need to read what you sign..the tires are not really free..you have to service your car at Hyundai..have alignments done..etc
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Car-Talk-Is-free-tires-for-life-deal-a-scam-1229644.php

sometime a little bit of "Mr Google" will stop a major headache

a better link
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Harrisburg-Hyundai/Harrisburg-Pennsylvania-17110/Harrisburg-Hyundai-CAUTION-SCAM-Tires-for-Life-Warrantee-SCAM-Harrisburg-Pennsylvani-472659

Brad2
May '15

You people have no idea how dealer programs work and you right away want to get your lawyers or call BBB and take the dealer to court. First of all the person with tires for life...why would Hyundai honor that when you went elsewhere for Service? They expect you to be a loyal customer, and right out of the gate you go elsewhere. So how can you say that you're a loyal customer and Hyundai doesn't understand. Sounds like YOU don't understand the meaning of customer loyalty.
And the guy whose transmission failed and the warranty wasn't honored. First, you never mentioned what happened to the transmission. Was it customer induced? Perhaps the problem wouldn't be covered under any warranty due to the cause of the problem?
And no, I'm not a car dealer or work for one. I'm just an intelligent consumer.

America America
May '15

America is right and wrong IMHO. Sure, whatever warranty you signed will rule even if no one mentioned "you must......." for something pretty obvious like all service. Also, basically if you did it through neglect, only one heck of a warranty would cover that.

But BBB and other "for free" services to help you with this will probably start by telling you that so what the heck, you can either give up like America and figure it's your fault or you misunderstood or you can ask someone, for free, who has a lot of experience for advice and help. Mom always said, "doesn't hurt to ask." After all, it is America.

Once I took a truck under warrant and attempted to pull the unmovable to the point where all you smell was clutch. Before warranty ran out, I started it one day, clutch not engaged and almost drove through the house. Contracted the manufacturer, got a book to fill out and instantly gave up.

Another time I put in a multi-thousand piece of electronics myself which never worked right. My work was good but the unit was hinky. Replaced controller under warranty, multiple valid service calls under warranty, etc. etc. Went one month beyond spec on a maintenance item, thing went completely belly up, and company stiffed me basically because I did my own install. Because of "the rules," even though self-install was allowed, they had me in a vise I could not break easily without paying to go after them. I gave up.

Nonetheless, it did not cost me more than a bit of time to try and many times have been successful even on cases that most would have said "you'll never win." So America may be intelligent but block-headed me has almost $1,000 for being not so smart.

May '15

Wait, you mean they won't just give anyone a $300 to $500 set of tires for free without subsidizing that through other services? How awful...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

I have one of those contracts and it clearly states that you must have all your services done at Hyundai to receive your tires. READ PEOPLE! DUH

America America
May '15

You don't have to read the contract even, just start with "if it's a deal you can't believe, jfgi........" I realize they're are many idiots out there just like me and most, when pissed off, put it on the internet. (and I thought I type a lot.......)

To me, internet research mandatory for any 4-digit decision.

When you google "free tires for life," Hyundai comes up right away and the first human (not sales pitch) response says....... http://www.justanswer.com/car/1nxxu-hyundai-tires-life-perk-just-gimmick.html#

I am sure the horror stories are only a few links down.

May '15

I purchased my extended warranty thru credit union , they were more than glad to give me names and contact numbers of persons top speak with directly, at the warranty compnay .
I requested they provide "in writing " their labor rate , did if vary by area of country ?( in the event I were traveling )
I asked if I could go to the shop of my choice ...answer was "yes, as long as tech is ase certified".
What is the "mark up allowed for parts that would be purchased / provided by shop doing work ? ( they allow 30% mark up of parts, for the shop , I checked with my local repair shop, they would accept that rate )
Asked "What do you use for labor rates ...they responded "Mitchell " ( this was agreeable with my repair shop as well.
I spent about an hour + on the phone questioning items covered, not covered, what if anything was consdiered neglect, abuse, etc..
You need to do this research up front, before you make a purchase.

The Stealers ( I meant to say dealers ) are always going to blame the salesman for not properly "expalining the coverage to you correctly......"If it ain't in writing , it ain't so" .

Steven Steven
May '15

We had the same tire deal at Nissan and had all our service there. When it was time for new tires they honored the program with no issues at all. Our service records were in their computer and we had a copy of the original agreement. On my extended warranty from 46 Chevy I had my struts replaced with no issues. The dealer checked that they were covered under my extended warranty (careful with that level you get, some cover a lot less) and did the work for the $50 deductible.

The warranty company sent an inspector out to look at my truck when the transmission went. The reason for the warranty company denying my claim was because the truck was lifted/modified. When I purchased the truck from Htown Hyundai I bought it exactly how it sits right now. Never modified it at all. So Htown Hyundai sold me a warranty contract that was no good from the moment I purchased it because the truck was lifted. (Owner of truck)

Ryan Spender Ryan Spender
May '15

Now we have a bit of detail. Lets get some facts.
Was the denial of claim because of the modification only? Was there a clause that states any modification is reason for denial?
Was the denial based on the inspectors belief that the modification caused undue stress on the transmission which was the cause of the failure. There is a difference. Wouldn't there need to be proof that the lift caused undue stress?

At a minimum hackettstown hyundai should not do business with a third party with out knowing there reputation, whether HH realizes it or not, its there reputation that will get hurt, no one wants to go to the dealeer and here owe its them not us. I still blame HH for falsely representing a product the warraty that they apparently know nothing about, and they should step up and help you, it doesnt help now,but never buy ffrom them again, and tell people what they did just like you are

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

Did you take any photos of the truck when you bought it? Did your parents? Insurance company? If you've got a photo, i would bet you have a very good case.

Gadfly Gadfly
May '15

I have a ton of photos from
Every angle of the truck from when I bought it. The denial was because the truck was lifted but as I stated I bought it that way therefor HH sold me a warrant that doesn't cover my truck

Ryan Spender Ryan Spender
May '15

Have you looked in to your legal options? You should look into small claims court.

Gadfly Gadfly
May '15

Ryan,

Do a little research into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There is a simplified writeup on Wikipedia.

Basically, one of the many things that the Act provides for is the ability for us as consumers to install third-party add-ons to our vehicles without voiding a warranty.

Unless there's a specific clause in warranty that prohibits lift kits, the warranty company has to prove that the lift kit caused the damage. And if the clause does exist, you have recourse against HH for selling you an unenforceable warranty.

Although I'm the last person to say "lawyer up!", in the case I would discuss this with an attorney. Most attorneys will provide you a free short consultation prior to requiring a retainer.

Bemused Bemused
May '15

Email this thread to Hackettstown Hyundai. Also, post the name and phone number of the manager. We can have an HL telethon to annoy him.

How much was the extended warranty? The least Hackettstpwn Hyundai should do is to give you back the cost of the warranty.

kb2755 kb2755
May '15

Are you dealing with Dean Mitchell at the dealership? We recently had to deal with him because our car was totaled and we paid for extended warranty. We needed to cancel it and we were told we were owed money. It took three freaking long months to get the refund.

If they refuse to honor the warranty, demand a full refund on it.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Unless you have a lawyer in your family, chances are it's going to cost a lot more for using an attorney than the cost of the entire warranty. These companies have floors of lawyers waiting for work, it costs them nothing extra to shoot down ANY claims , be it a truck or a disability.... the answer is usually a big, fat NO!
As far as the truck goes, go to the Belvedere Court house and they will tell you how to sue them in small claims court, without a lawyer, as long as it's under 5k. After the warranty company is served with papers from the court, they are probably not going to fight it and may finally pay up.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

Sally's idea is good for this one reason. In small claims court you do not need a lawyer to file or when you appear in court. Whoever you are suing MUST be represented by legal counsel. Some will settle rather pay a legal fee to defend and probably lose anyway if your case is good.

I don't think either side is permitted to be represented by counsel in small claims court.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '15

I don't think MK can possibly be right. It may be that corporation has to be represented by counsel, but I really don't think an individual must be represented by counsel just be they are the defendant.

Gadfly Gadfly
May '15

If they sold you a lifted truck,with a warranty,and not honor it,stop threading, go to small claims court, you win ! That simple! They will settle the day of court,you dont need an attorney.

Did Hackettstown Hyundai step up and fix this problem?

hot under the collar
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.