Who do you call when you see a wolf?

Just saw a wolf in my wooded backyard - who do we call?

Peter and Sasha?

Cool... How big was he?

Reggie Reggie Message Reggie
Nov '08

animal control # it is 908-689-6657 for Mr and Mrs Wysocki---- got this from the stray cat link.

Nov '08

Why do you need to call someone? Also we don't have wolves around here unless it escaped from the Lakota Preserve. Could be a coyote?

I agree, Bryan - I love wolves, they fascinate me.

happy2bhere happy2bhere Message happy2bhere
Nov '08

Are you sure it was a wolf? Maybe it was a coyote or a stray/loose dog. Unless it escaped from somewhere I dont believe there are any wolves in NJ but hey you never know! people have claimed to see bigfoots an the nj devil too!(I'm not making fun of you Ike)

larry21 larry21 Message larry21
Nov '08

Me too. :-) What a beautiful animal. I remember seeing one on the side of the road panting with his big teeth, freaked me out! He was a big boy! Oh my, what big teeth you have!

Restaurant off route 46 Red Wolf Inn, they have wolf hybrids there.

Nov '08

You guys were right... it's a coyote. Thanks for the info!

Lakota Preserve is a great place to go see the wolves. I believe it is in Columbia? I have been a few times, quite a beautiful sight.

Cherie Cherie Message Cherie
Nov '08

Ghostbusters!!!!!!!

Total Nobody
Nov '08

From another thread....Madison Hedgecock, the fullback from the Giants said he sees "cougers" in Allamuchy.... :)

the Roadrunner, or better yet - Little Red Riding Hood.

Bear Grylls

BigDeal
Nov '08

Jan....I did hear on the news the other night that the mountain lion is making a come back in the tri-state area soooowho knows....

I know we have a fisher in our neighbourhood it scares the heck out of anyone that hears it screaming/crying

Hockeymom Hockeymom Message Hockeymom
Nov '08

I hope that fisher doesn't cry over spilled bait.

BuzzLightyear
Nov '08

Hockeymom - my post referred to a previous thread - http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/62820. :)

Where was the coyote, in Hackettstown?

I had heard they were around, but I never knew anyone that saw one.

Thanks for the tip.

Aren't they a little, how do you say this...dangerous?

Erik

Erik, maybe the people of Hackettstown should have an open hunting season for this wild pack of cayotes! They might take over the town. Where can we hide............LOL

Back to reality, the only thing I would even consider worrying about is your pet cat roaming around aimlessly.

BuzzLightyear
Nov '08

No wolves in hackettstown, just the occasional fox or cayote.
Maybe it was neighbors poodle.LMAO!

donkeykong
Nov '08

One question: Was this "wolf" spotted on October 31?

BuzzLightyear
Nov '08

Erik, People are dangerous.

old man
Nov '08

Erik, the voices in your head could be dangerous.

BuzzLightyear
Nov '08

Buzz, Is Happy2bhere, TonyS and Dolly the voices in Eriks head?
They seem to be the "voice" of the forum. LMAO!

donkeykong
Nov '08

LMAO, forum is f"in funny tonight.

Nov '08

Any wild animal sightings that cause a concern to public safety should be reported to North Jersey Wildlife Control in Clinton at 908-735-8793.

Coyotes generally weigh 25 to 50 pounds and come in all color phases. They are becoming alot more common to see because of their increased population.

There has never been a confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in NJ. One would think someone would have a photo or one would have been hit by a car. Reports usually turn out to be a coyote with mange.

fishmaker
Nov '08

let's remember that the aimals were here before us. We have encroached on their turf. We are taking their homes away by building so much.

If there is a way to live WITH them -- then please try. For every one taken away, you break up an animal family, kill off their natural home.

how would you like it if you were carted away -- from everythig you knew and possibly killed?

A terrible thing to happen...

Max Max Message Max
Nov '08

Didn't Reggie say that there were a couple of wolves hanging out (maybe a bad choice of words LOL!!!) at the Laughing Lion?

Coyotes in New Jersey
Division of Fish & Wildlife

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

better yet, who would a wolf call because people are encroaching on its territory??

around here, if you see a "wolf", it would be amazing.

wolves tend to run in packs and are really large, maybe it was a coyote?

i grew up in west milford and my back yard was the wetlands preserve there. our neighbors raised wolves, had special permits to be a part of the repopulating or something, so my whole childhood was spent hearing those howls and yelps.

and once, we had a zebra and kangaroo in ur back yard when the animal zoo thingy closed and they released the animals. that was pretty crazy!

muffin muffin Message muffin
Nov '08

Boy Attacked by Coyote in New Jersey
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?sectin=news/bizarre&id=5326929

------------------

Some Reported Coyote Attacks on Children.
http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm

Erik,
Point taken.. but let's be honest -- never like now have we HUMANS destroyed so much of the natural habitat. Its only now that we are actaully realizing the effects -- greenhouse effect, ozone layer, air quality, and destruction to all that nature gives us.

If we HUMANS didnt destroy THEIR turf, allowed for the natural order of things (food chain) and didnt kill off all that we do (land an animals) -- this would not be a problem.

But as typical humans -- we destroy, we fight, we kill. And we call ourselves advanced creatures? We are a virus to this planet. Its time we clean up our own act so that we can leave something behind for our children. As it is, they wont have 1/2 the animal kingdom we did.

Children already have no clue about record albums... and soon no clue about polar bears. We've infected the earth... Its time to respect it - and all that grows within.

Max Max Message Max
Nov '08

Saw a coyote on Mt. Bethel Rd. near Russling 2 weeks ago. The thing was huge - at least 50-60 lbs. Was surprised at how beefy he looked - I always pictured a scraggly thing. He ran down the middle of the road in front of our car for a while. He definitely looked wolf-like, but wasn't THAT big! Wouldn't want to meet one in a dark wood, though.

Rebecka Rebecka Message Rebecka
Nov '08

Max, news of the polar bears' demise has been greatly exaggerated. You may want to put that bemoaning on hold for a spell.

ianimal ianimal Message ianimal
Nov '08

please don't confuse feral dogs with wolves or coyotes please...two differing creatures and coyotes tend to avoid humans while feral dogs are very unpredictable...

Nov '08

I think it was a coyote.....

Katy Katy Message Katy
Nov '08

and as for record albums, led zeppelin and a bunch of other bands have recently been releasing compilation album on records!

Nov '08

and lastly, because i am so wordy today....

there were two confirmed coyote attacks in the same town last year...probably the same coyote, that was never caught...

and NONE this year...

they state in one ofthe articles above that there had never been UNprevoked coyote attacks on children until then, which tells me that the one coyote causing all the issues was sick or starving or what have you.

coyotes live all around us, and if you grew up almost anywhere in nj, you probably had coyotes near you your whole life...

we have become a very paranoid state (though i love how the one guy int he article says his three kids age 10 and under, play outside all the time, but now he'll keep a better eye on them! i never let my daughter out my sight when she is outside playing and she is 8!)

Nov '08

Just some info : Cougars have been spotted in our area for the past 5yrs. and wolves are definately making a come back. They have been seen in PA in the last 10yrs. ! not too hard for them to get across the river. I saw one on Rockport Rd about 2 months ago. I know it was a wolf as I have had them as pets !

I Know
Nov '08

Recently moved to Washington. Couldn't believe it, but a coyote ran through my backyard and into the woods late Sunday afternoon. I heard they were around. Guess it's true.

Vito
Nov '08

A couple of nights ago I was out in batsto, NJ. I heard what sounded like a pack of wolves. It sounded like they where surounding our parked car in the woods. Then it had just went silent. Has anyone ever heard that out there before or any clue of what animal it might be? Thanks.

Lisa Lisa Message Lisa
Feb '09

My parents just recently moved to a ranch in Wyoming near Yellowstone. They have to be outside with their dog at all times in the winter because the wolves come down from the mountains. Not that this has anything to do with NJ, lol, but it has to do with wolves. :-)

Birdie
Feb '09

I live on Saxton Drive in H'town and had a Coyote in my back yard a few years ago - no mistake. It was pretty scrawny, but still an amazing sight.

RES2
Feb '09

Hey Lisa, It was probably a pack of coyotes. They make some really eerie sounds. There are no wild wolves in NJ. One of the reasons that coyotes in NJ seem so big is because they are. With no wolves or other large predators to compete with they have plenty to eat.

TemporarySaint
Feb '09

It was most likely a pack of coyotes. Was it a dog-like yipping / barking sound? We hear them sometimes (we're in Independence / Mt. Bethel). One actually ran across our front lawn around 3pm 3 weeks ago.

Rebecka Rebecka Message Rebecka
Feb '09

Perhaps you should run into the nearest brick house before he huffs and puffs and....

Well honestly i hope we get a lot of wolves in NJ and NOBODY HUNTS THEM because they are loving animals trying to survive just like us and they are mostly afraid of humans and dont usualy attack them only if they have rabies and also a random fact for you people a mother wolf buries her pup if it dies just like humans bury their family and they love their family and just want to provide food and shelter thats all.

If you love wolves and life in the north eastcoast and want to find someone else who does you can contact me on myspace.com/foxracerguy28 or email at Motocrosss_p@yahoo.com my name is sandro im 17 and want to learn as much about wolves as possible oh and i live in central NJ

My daughter wants a wolf as a pet, they used to have them on the top of Hackettstown mountain at the garden store up there. They are gorgeous animals but not to sure how they would be as a house pet. Anyone have any info on this?

chrisb chrisb Message chrisb
Jul '09

They have wolves as pets at the Red Wolf Inn in Belvidere/Harmony. They have them out in back of the restaurant, but I believe they also take them to their house.

Calico696 Calico696 Message Calico696
Jul '09

Lakota wolf perserve in the Blairstown area is a wonderful place to visit. You can set up private photo shoots, there are also bobcats and some other animals to see also. Nice 1/2 day trip if your looking for something to do the last time I was there it cost $15 to see them and the funds go to helping them survive. What a beautiful animal.

Cherie Cherie Message Cherie
Jul '09

I thought I saw a coyote running through our backyard in mid-June (on Countryside Drive), then my husband saw one tonight on his way home, he followed it and thinks it's definitely a coyote...a man walking his dog said the same thing when my husband asked him. It ran down Countryside Lane. We have been finding some miscellaneous garbage in our backyard some mornings, must be the coyote dragging stuff over here...GREAT! Makes me nervous to go out after dusk.

tripsy tripsy Message tripsy
Jul '09

I would call Duran Duran (circa 1982).

Max,
You are right on!
We are suppose to be the intelligent ones.
We have perfected one thing on this planet and we strive to do it even better. We kill like no other.

dore33 dore33 Message dore33
Aug '09

we hear them all the time in great meadows. let them be is what i say.... we have mt lion around here as well. lol no lie though.

Laurezle
Aug '09

Coyote are a live and well in NJ. We used to hear them all the time in Liberty (Near Pequest WMA) , and they are quite common in Allamuchy and Independance in the Great Meadows area. I have seen them near Point Mountain in Mansfield, and they have been spotted all the way down in Pine Barrens (Quite few at Ft Dix).

There is a limited hunting season, though they are quite difficult to hunt and very few are killed every year. (More die from cars than hunters, by a long stretch.)

There is also substantial evidence that the coyote we see in the East have quite a bit more wold genetics in them than the coyotes out west. (Probably from the wolves in Minnesota and Southern Canada, as the repopulated their way east over the past few decades.) There are also quite a few incidental reports of Coy-dog hybrids.

Moral rhetoric against hunting happily ignored, hunters and their funds are one of the main reasons we still see most wildlife still present. Who do you think pays for F&W and all the biologists studying bears, coyote, mink, bobcats, eagles and deer.

Agust
Aug '09

Seen a Coyote from a distance once back at Minebrook, but heard them up on the mountainside on a couple occasions including a litter. It sounded like mom/dad made a kill and brought back dinner. The pups were yipping for like half a minute.

Deep Thought Deep Thought Message Deep Thought
Aug '09

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.