Car registration

I am confused. My car inspection sticker says July 2015 and on the back registration must be renewed before inspection. But my registration is due in nov 2015. Can I just have it inspected in July and renew in nov.? I called dmv but they were closed. Can anyone help me with this? Don't make fun of me I am really asking for info.

A good day
May '15

I just renewed my registration up to April 2016 ... I renew it each year.

The car is due for inspection every second year. They check to make sure the registration, insurance, driver's license are up to date, but you don't have to get the car inspected every time you renew the registration.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

The way I read your post, your car registration WAS renewed before the July inspection. Last November.

To me it looks like you're OK, all caught up.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Can I just have it inspected in July and renew in nov.?

YES!

Teenie Teenie
May '15

True, as long as your registration, insurance and license are valid.... dates don't matter. Go to the DMV website to make an appointment for mid July, that's the least busiest time, at the Washington DMV . Have those three items and you're in and out in 10 minutes. Make sure you're wearing you're seatbelt (not a bad idea anyway), off the phone, stuff off the rear view mirror hanging. Good luck, as inspection can be a little nerve racking if you have an older car, and little money.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

You need an appointment for an emissions test?

They really don't inspect anything anymore

Brad2
May '15

Go to Randolph = no appointments -- in/out.

Shelley2cats Shelley2cats
May '15

I don't think appointments are necessary, but suggested for Washington, which is a lot closer. I think Brad2 is correct, as last time I went, they didn't seem as nit-picky as they used to be..... still a nervous experience as I wait for another expensive car bill. Now that I have a 2016 Mercedes convertible, fully loaded, and all paid off I won't have to worry for a while.( don't I wish... just happy I have a car that works).

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

Washington DMV is by appointment ONLY. There are big signs up everywhere. You will be turned away if you show up and are not on their appointment list.

Randolph is much larger that you can get in and out in maybe 20 mins if you hit it right in the middle of the month and on an off day. You can also get behind 5 lanes a half mile long and it will be an hour and a half.

Thank you for the info. This is great. I think I will schedule an appt. in Washington. I found a site to do this online. :)

A good day
May '15

Took my jeep to Randolph, 3 lines were full, in and out in 30 minutes.
They only check paperwork and emissions , so it goes pretty quickly.

Steven Steven
May '15

Yes, GC is correct. Washington you need an appt.

Your sticker and reg don't match up anymore. It's been like that for years. Your car is due for inspection in July, so take it in July. Your reg is still good until Nov, so everything is fine. Then in Nov, get the reg renewed. Simple! Good luck! If you go to Washington you are in and out. But MUST make an appt. Do it online. Very easy.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '15

Used to be that you could just arrive at Washington without an appointment but had to wait for all appointments to get in, so much better to make appointment. Sounds like that is not the case any more.

With appointment, it's basically in and out, maybe a 10 minute or so wait.

And yes, emissions only every two years POST the first five. So, a new car, or new used, first inspection is five years after manufacture and then every two years.

I think they might tap into the car's computer so if your diagnostics show failure and you reset, they will catch you unless to drive ....... (need an expert to post how long to drive post computer reset.)

Also, I have never been gigged for being overdue but they still put the original date on the sticker so you can't change December, grrrrrrrr.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '15

I went to Randolph yesterday, Monday May 4th, and was in and out in under 12 minutes. 4 lines were open, no need for an appointment and there were 3 cars ahead of me. Since I was going in that direction anyway it was so much faster than Washington. DMV there is also pretty quick.

Ms. Fishy Ms. Fishy
May '15

I go to Newton for inspection no appointment needed as far as the sticker on window that's when you go and your registration has a date one it for renewing you follow it
what I find funny is that I have to pay the same rate for service I no longer get the cost of reg was to pay for the inspection and for my truck I dont even get any sticker now

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '15

"I think they might tap into the car's computer so if your diagnostics show failure and you reset, they will catch you unless to drive ....... (need an expert to post how long to drive post computer reset.)" <---from Mr G.

I believe is approx. 100 miles the car needs to be driven after reset .for the computer to "re-calibrate " .

Steven Steven
May '15

Steven - Every manufacturer has a different set of criteria for what a "driving cycle" is. So there is no one set number of miles. The cycle is based on variable driving conditions which can include things like engine temps and humidity, braking and idling, and acceleration rates. I've had it reset in 20 miles on my GMC. I've had it not reset in 125 mi on my Honda. Mr G is right. Do a quick web search on OBD drive cycle's. They really are rocket science. ;-)

The current inspection program is a joke, you can have bad brakes and a loose front end and a taillight burned out and you will pass!!! All they are interested is the stupid Emission test!!!
Why bother with State inspections in NJ any more!!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
May '15

GC, appreciate the update, I knew they all varied but had no idea they would reset as quickly as 20 miles of driving , that's a very brief time .

Steven Steven
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.