Stonemason needed

My front steps are in need of being fixed. I did look at past posts on this and they are quite old, so wondering if anyone has a recommendation for someone they have used.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
May '15

Re: Stonemason needed

Finding a good mason, around here, can be difficult--I know from my own experience.

I had my front stoop about 75% re-built, with new limestone treads and blue stone inlay on the top--I've attached a photo. It was done by Robert Goetting, in Hackettstown, 973-769-2064. Last I heard, he was extremely busy, but you could try giving him a call.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '15

Jason Pacheko 201 471-8080 he's not local but amazingly cheap. he's a young fella that does nyc style stonework. meticulous and clean. very reliable, good honest communication

marty mcfly marty mcfly
May '15

Ron Watosick (908) 246-5784. He's done my front bluestone walk and my fireplace. Local and reasonable. I am a general contractor so I recommend him often.

Patton8 Patton8
May '15

Eli Graff, master mason
njstonemason@gmail.com
Fine stone work
Brick laying
Block work/patios
Chimney construction & repairs

honey badger honey badger
May '15

Tough to get one with availability. Two regularly mentioned masons on the forum - Bencivengo and Scalera. Do a forum search at the top of the page for more info.

Don't bother to call John Sayer. He was previously recommended on this forum. He was supposed to come Monday to give me an estimate for my steps. He never showed up and never phoned. I call him again the next morning (Tuesday), and he gave me a lame excuse why he didn't come (that was no reason why he couldn't have called to tell me), then promised he would come on Wednesday. He was supposed to call me on Wednesday morning and set up a time. Again, he never called and never showed up. I won't call him again. If he didn't want to do the job, he should have just said so. Don't make me wait around all day for you if you have no intention of showing up!!

PV Lady PV Lady
May '15

my neighbor in Flanders was going to use Robert Gotting of Hackettstown to do some work but he decided NOT because he is crazy...

Nature Lover, who ever you decide to use you should ask for there ins co to send you a copy of their ins (ins certificate should come directly from the ins co. If a contractor hands you a copy it is not legal and might be forged!). Also make sure they have workers comp ins too!!!
One last thing to check on is there home improvement contractor licenses, ask them for there Lic# and check up on it, there was just a mason in Flanders working in the clover hill section that did a lot damage to someone's house and just left!! Do your homeeork! Don't get taken advantage of...

Sean wolf
May '15

Mark Kendra 908-637-9876

Calico696 Calico696
May '15

I highly recommend Marl Kendra as well. He repaired our steps and also did our fireplace. He is very easy to work with and did a great job. He was very responsive to all phone calls and emails.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
May '15

I "third" Mark Kendra ... used him on a recommendation on HL from @Calico696 and could not have been more happy with his responsiveness, price and quick completion of the job (small job - he had to rebuild our chimney from roofline up). He returned our call within 24 hours and had the job completed in the quoted timeframe.

ChimneyFix
May '15

Do you think any of the people you recommend would reface an old brick fireplace? It's old, dirty, and ugly..........

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

what do you mean " he is crazy "?

justsayin justsayin
May '15

I have finally just about completed the project I posted about months ago. Stone came from R.P Smith in Succasauna. Bluestone for hearth and mantle came from Meier Bros.
I used Bill Pollard,mason from Blairstown and he has done an excellent job. I highly recommend him - though he is, for good reason, very busy. All that's missing, besides a little touch up paint, is the door.

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '15

looks gorgeous, 5catmom... enjoy.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '15

Thanks ianimal

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '15

I would recommend Vin Iacampo - 201-317-7161. He is out of Long Valley, excellent mason!

stayintune stayintune
Dec '15

Looks wonderful:) We just finished having a chimney chase covered in stone veneer and it looks great also. Ready for winter now:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Dec '15

Mazzeo Master Masons out of Long Valley
908-635-0325

RMMJS RMMJS
Dec '15

Anyone know of a reasonably priced, reliable mason to put in a stone circular "patio" for the base of a fire pit - nothing fancy. Received one estimate that I thought was high. Have called a few others for quotes with no return calls.

Would appreciate any referrals!

Cuppa Cuppa
Apr '16

Try Rob Scalera 908-377-0147. Great work. He's local too.

Hopeful Hopeful
Apr '16

Good stone work looks nice

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

Does anyone know of a structural mason that can give a quote to repair a cracked retaining/support wall to a house?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '16

I second Frank Mazzeo-
908-635-0325

spilly spilly
Apr '16

I too second Frank! Stay AWAY, FAR FAR FAR AWAY from Robert Goetting from Hackettstown!! The man is a nut case.

Teacher of h town
Apr '16

I'm looking for someone who can replace my concrete steps with something nice and simple for under $1000. I need just 2 steps done. Everyone I have called has been over $2000
Is that what stonemasons charge these days?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '16

I highly recommend Bill Pollard. He came highly recommended to me by the stone company where I purchased materials to reface my fireplace. He did an excellent job and a very fair price: https://www.buildzoom.com/contractor/william-pollard-masonry

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '16

Try calling Matt @ Garden Grove Landscaping. He did our front proch. 5 steps at a very reasonable price. Removed all old concrete steps to. did the job 3 summers ago and it is the same as the day he left it. 908-763-2634

Donna55
Apr '16

I am looking to see if there are any new recommendations on stone masons

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Sep '18

I second Matt @ Garden Grove! He’s a real artist with his work!

BigHeart BigHeart
Sep '18

Bob Voorhees - Fieldstone masonry out of Glen Gardner 908-537-2353

Thank you for the recommendations. And I had another question why is Robert Goetting a nut case as noted in earlier posts? Thanks much

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Sep '18

I’m also looking for a mason.

Fairly large job, and I want quality work that won’t fall apart in a few years. Naturally I don’t want to get taken advantage of though.

My GC gave me a quote, but I’m looking for other bids for comparison.

So if you are a mason and read this- contact me and bring your A game. You will end up with something to show in your portfolio.

Matt at Garden Grove guaranties his work for a life time. He loves being a mason and it shows in his projects. He did a lot of work for me and I highly recommend him.

Max Steiner
Sep '18

Actually, I’ve used Rob Goetting and was very happy with the finished product.
Found him to be honest, competitive in pricing and dedicated to providing quality work.
My highest recommendation.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '18

Robert Goetting has done several projects for me and I am very pleased with everything he has done. Nice guy and a dedicated family man.

Walker Walker
Sep '18

Not sure if you found someone but mike from
Clinton landscape is amazing! Give him a call or text he’s very reliable and he’ll get back to you right away. 908-674-1647.

Kandice Kandice
Sep '18

Matt from Garden Grove does outstanding work. He's the man.

I've received 4 mason quotes for the job I want to start. They ranged from what I would consider high, to absurd, and then up to waay beyond absurd.

Permits are done, excavator is waiting for the go ahead. Contractors ready to drop a dumpster and tear off my old deck, walkway and walls..

So- still looking for a mason who wants a job without thinking he can pay for his kids 4 years of college working at my house for a month! (and the #'s they quoted are only for cmu wall + labor- we are providing the veneer, walking surface finish, etc)

I am extremely frustrated.

Nick Bencivengo in Hackettstown... I highly recommend them...

Havaclue Havaclue
Aug '19

Did you try Mark Kendra 908-637-9876?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '19

Do it yourself. If you dont have the ability to do this project then your gonna have to pay the going rate for someone to do the job. What your failing to recognize is when you hire a contractor for a job you're paying them for the knowledge they have to do the task, plus the tools, insurance, vehicle(s) and their helpers.

EveryWeekendIsHallow EveryWeekendIsHallow
Aug '19

I'm not failing to realize anything. I have full understanding. I run my own business which takes knowledge, tools, etc- etc.

In fact- it is my knowledge, experience and realization in general that keeps me from falling for rip-offs, whether a mason or a car dealer, etc.

I have an idea of what a fair price is, and know when I am getting fleeced.

Literally one of the quotes (from a recommended local mason on here) was over 3 times the quote from another local mason. And both of them were high.

Pretty good bet that jerk is one of the mason. :)

Other choice is to get 20 estimates and just pick the lowest one. Done deal.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '19

Structureworx
Robert Goetting 973.769.2064
Have utilized him several times and referred him to others.
AAA-1

Stymie Stymie
Aug '19

Between the contractor, excavator, and yourself, I think you already have too many people with their hands in the job. If you want the job done right, get rid of the contractor and excavator, and use the money you were going to pay them, to pay one company to do the whole job right. It is not going to be cheap if you want it done right. Sounds like you want someone to work at your house for a month, for next to nothing. Good luck

bassHappy
Aug '19

No, that is not the case. Re-read what I wrote. Next to nothing is certainly not the case.

I literally had a guy quote over 3 times of another guy. Did you miss the part where I said he could put his kid through 4 years of college for what he wants? Absurd.

At no point did I not say I would pay a good wage for good work.

I also don't agree with a jack of all trades company, as they tend to be master of none.

If I already have an excavator that has done several jobs for me and I trust, and a deck guy I trust- why gamble everything when all I need is a mason.

BTW- my jerk comment above was to another guys response that was deleted.

You get what you pay for.. If you want the job done right... You’re gonna have to pay what the person deserves for the job!!! If you don’t want a good job..Just hire anybody.... I really get tired of people who sit at a desk making 6 figures!!!! Not wanting to pay someone who has a trade.....

Havaclue Havaclue
Aug '19

I really get tired of people who sit at a desk making 6 figures!!!! Not wanting to pay someone who has a trade.....

Plenty of people with college degrees are elitists who look down on the rest of society as if they are worthless. Why else was Lori Loughlin willing to spend so much money to fake her daughter's college degree. It's a status symbol.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '19

Well- I didn't go to college and I don't make 6 figures.

In fact- I dropped out of high school, served in the Army, and now get my hands dirty every day working with tools. I am not in an office. Not sitting at a desk. I work for a living.

Elitist I am not.

Josh
You have too much common sense

Bug3
Aug '19

@ Stymie

Thank You - You are correct …

Structureworx - Robert Goetting 973.769.2064

Highly professional and responsive to my phone call and answered all of our questions professionally … Looking forward to working with him...

AS a FYI - Most mason I called never called back or showed up for to provided a estimate...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Aug '19

I am looking for a stonemason to fix my stairs. Any recommendations?

townmom townmom
Apr '21

Tom Schwenk 973-347-3599

Bemused Bemused
Apr '21

Structureworx in Hackettstown
Highest recommendation

Stymie Stymie
Apr '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.