Just Mayo

Has anyone tried this? It's fantastic.
It is non-GMO and also vegan -- shoprite had it in it's flyer last week which brought it to my attention.
I grew up with Hellman's mayo but I think this tastes better.
Also for those who can only use a vegan mayo, this brand is much less costly than other vegan mayonnaise brands.
Shoprite had the quart size for $2.99 last week.
If you are concerned about GMO's in your food, this product is the way to go.

hapiest girl
May '15

Absolutely love it. I like that I can get it at Walmart and Target too.

Sandy Sandy
May '15

Gonna give it a shot as starting to choose non-gmo over questionable gmo. Hellman's is beyond questionable and when I see statements like "well, the chickens eat GMO grains but the GMO does not pass through to the egg," then I get even more worried. Same guy probably thinks it's OK to smoke and drink while pregnant. "Hey, the baby's aren't born drunk....."

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '15

my favorite mayo......

dismom dismom
May '15

Hellman's ( instead of butter ) is the best to make a grilled cheese sandwich !

Steven Steven
May '15

Mix parmesan cheese in with the Hellman's before you spread it on the bread... it's even better.

ianimal ianimal
May '15

If you're really concerned about the contents, then make your own so you can source your own ingredients. I really like olive oil as a mayo base. And I prefer aioli instead of regular mayo.

GC-
That's great if you have the time.
However, Just Mayo is GMO-free Verified. It's right on the label. So no concern about the contents.
Plus - no eggs. It's vegan.

hapiest girl
May '15

Oh good. Vegan is the way to go. I will try this

A good day
May '15

If there aren't any eggs in it, shouldn't they call it Just Not Mayo?

ianimal ianimal
May '15

Or Mayonot!

Completely agree Steven, coming from a mayo fanatic. That's the only way I make grilled cheese. I also like to dip french fries in mostly mayo mixed with a little bit of ketchup.

positive positive
May '15

Posi,
Can't say I have tried that one, will keep it in mind though.

Steven Steven
May '15

I thought I was the only one who dipped fries in mayo! I love it when I do eat fries!

Teenie Teenie
May '15

No eggs means not mayo. Maybe you call it salad dressing?

Redwing
May '15

Might not be just mayo. (dressing, really) Maybe make your own. The non-refrigerated version may contain a preservative.
CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA

It is made from formaldehyde, sodium cayanide, and Ethylenediamine.

I always have a shaker of calcium disodium edta on my table rightvnext to the salt and pepper!

Home made mayo takes minutes. Check out youtube demos. Put ingredients in jar (or whatever container you use), place immersion blender in jar so it sits on the bottom, run blender at bottom a minute then slowly raise blender to top & you will see as the ingredients turn into mayo. No preservatives required, very few ingredients, easy to customize.

melmel melmel
May '15

Not to worry about the name, Hellman's, i.e. Unilever is suing them over it for irreparable harm to the Mayo name and their product. Hampton Creek is a venture-capital deal funded by Bill Gates and Paypal's Peter Thiel, along with Li Ka-shing, Hong Kong container yard, health and beauty magnate and philanthropist.

Oh wait, suit dropped due to Just Mayo's "Egg-Free" labeling. They replace the eggs with pea protein.

Carry on and look for the IPO, could be a good one.

May '15

"They replace the eggs with pea protein. "

And some "modified food starch"... yummy.

ianimal ianimal
May '15

positive, out in Utah, they call that "fry sauce" - two parts mayo to one part ketchup.

ianimal ianimal
May '15

The word "Mayo" is a nick name. If they wanted to call it Mayonnaise it would have to have eggs. Unilevers suit was dropped. The stuff tastes great, why act like pea protein is grosser than protein from chicken fetus? Just because you're accustomed to it, doesn't mean it isn't yucky, lol.

Sandy Sandy
May '15

Chicken eggs used for mayonnaise aren't fertilized, so there's no "fetus" involved. The yolk also acts as the "food" for the fetus in fertilized eggs, not what eventually becomes the chicken itself. Egg yolks are also one of the few natural sources of Vitamin D...

ianimal ianimal
May '15

I think Sandy was just egging you on Iman. You just didn't get the yolk.

May '15

Stay classy, Sandy Eggo?

ianimal ianimal
May '15

You're right, eggs are basically chicken period, waaay less gross than pea protein. ;) I really don't give a hoot what others eat, just a pet peeve of mine when people act like something from a vegetable source is gross.

sandy sandy
May '15

sandy,
Pretty sure these people have eaten peas or have enjoyed a nice hot bowl of split-pea soup (surely with ham .... that's the meat that's in it, I think ....)
It's just a very juvenile attempt to put down a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Very strange that they are so threatened by a lifestyle different from theirs that they would go so far as to make fun of a jar of Just Mayo.
LOL

hapiest girl
May '15

Personally, my distaste is with the "modified food starch" and not the pea protein, per se. But even the pea protein has to be extracted in some sort of laboratory process, whereas real mayonnaise is much more natural, needing only oil, egg yolks and vinegar.

ianimal ianimal
May '15

If you think Hellmann's is *much more natural*, read the label. The Canola Hellmann's has "modified food starch" as it's 3rd ingredient, right after water and oil. Just Mayo has it in the 2% or less category.

Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise has among it's ingredients "natural flavors"

You mentioned your concern with "laboratory process".
Natural flavors in the food industry is a misleading terminology and isn't much different from artificial flavors. The distinction is based on how the flavor has been "made" rather than on what it actually contains.
Natural and artificial flavors sometimes contain exactly the same chemicals, produced through different processes.

If you try to find out what the *natural flavor* is, you will get nowhere.
It is "processed" in any number of ways, and can come from anything -- plant, fruit, vegetable, poultry, seafood, meat, dairy, eggs.

hapiest girl
May '15

How much "modified food starch" does "real Hellman's" have? None? Why would you quote some other variety's ingredient list? Because it drags it down to the level of your chosen brand?

Like GC said, making your own mayonnaise isn't that difficult or time-consuming. But, if you're going to buy a commercial product out of convenience, the compromise is that it will, out of necessity, need to contain preservatives and stabilizers, whether vegan or not.

ianimal ianimal
May '15

ianimal,
Firstly, you mentioned that you use Hellmann's to make your grilled cheese -- you didn't specify which Hellmann's variety.
To say mentioning Hellmann's Canola variety "drags it down to the level of my chosen brand" is humerous as Hellmann's has the modified food starch as a primary ingredient. Just Mayo doesn't.
I know I can make my own mayo --- just as you can too.

My original post was to say how good I thought Just Mayo was, and that it was non-GMO and vegan.
YOU were the one to *try* to drag it down by making fun of it's ingredients ....... which I still maintain was a juvenile attempt to make fun of a non GMO vegan product.
The proof is in the above posts.

hapiest girl
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.