Mower blades sharpened?

Besides Mayberry's, is there anywhere local to get mower blades re-sharpened?

I've bought the silly little "toys" they sell to do the job at home, but they don't work well. You need a grinder to do it properly, and I don't have one, or I'd do it myself.....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '15

Ron's sharpening. 852-1609. Independence

Friend Friend
May '15

Ron's Sharpening service - been using him for years and he is absolutely the best in the business. While your at it have him tune up anything else - kitchen knives (including serated bread knives), saw blades...etc. He does it all!

Address
7 Mount Rascal Rd
Hackettstown, New Jersey 07840
Phone (908) 852-1609

I use Ron for my chain saw blades. Great guy and great work.

sack
May '15

JR, I had tried a small homeowner grinder without much success. Not only do you need to get em sharp, they need to be balanced as well. You really need grinder, guides, plus a balancing mechanism to sharpen your own.

Dremel tool = $6 Makita system (including grinder) $400. You be the judge on which one does the job.

I still grind out any big hits but take them in when sharpening the entire blade. I love Mayberry's but their turnaround time on blades can be longer than other spots.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '15

i do them myself with a flat file,

take them off, put them in the vise, grab a good flat file that still has bite in it,

file away from the cutting edge not towards or into it, perform that motion in equal amounts from each side, shortening the counts each way to really polish up a razor sharp edge. for the mulching blades with the curves in them get a half round metal file, (not a real big one) to reach the valleys on the curved parts

you will have really sharp blades in no time, (about 15 mins for me)

balancing is not too big a deal, they balance if you take off the same amount each side, just put a bolt in the hole and see if one side weighs down the other, easy peasy, i sharpen all my own tools, axes, chain saw blades etc, almost always use a hand file to do it, you'd be surprised how much detail work you can accomplish by hand with a little practice, it's ok to turn off the power tools now and again, they are not always the best choice

i know im very different, and im ok with it most of the time,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '15

You have at least one other strange one B D, Me. I always did mine also. My bench grinder, Files and Dremel did everything.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '15

Thanks for the info! I'm currently in the same situation as JR above.

Most important thing with sharpening is that they balance them. Unbalanced blades lead to shortened spindle life.

I'm sure mount olive small engine repair on 46 does it too.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
May '15

Morgan's on rt. 46W going towards Independence. He sharpens everything. Don't know what the rates are though but he did a great job on a set knives that I had. ~$30 for 7 knives a pair of kitchen shears. That was a few years ago.

+1 to the "Home File Sharpener Club"

I have a bench grinder but found it to be just as quick (but with a little bit more elbow grease) a $10 set of files and a vice. Each blade takes about 10 minutes and is sharper than any store bought blade.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '15

I'm a DIY guy, so I will try to sharpen 1 set myself (I have 2 spare sets).... I didn't realize 15min with hand files is all that's needed. Thanks, BrotherDog!

I'll also give Ron a call.... ESPECIALLY for kitchen knives.... I have several of those that need sharpened..... I don't do those myself because they are stainless steel, and take forever with a stone. At least for a novice like me. I do sharpen my own pocket knives, but they are not stainless.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '15

I take anything that needs sharpening to Ron's on Mt.Rascal Rd. He sharpens
Everything from axes to wood chipper knives.It's worth the trip just to see the
equipment and machines that he has in his shop. Great guy to meet.

Diane P. Diane P.
May '15

I do my own with an angle grinder once a season for my pushmower. I've never had a balance problem and I don't pay much attention to that, though it sounds like I should. If I did a bad job I would probably feel it while mowing. For my tractor (JD425), I take them to Warren County Service center or Kenvil Power Mower.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '15

It's usually not as big of a problem for a single blade mower, but you should balance them if you can.

The part that breaks in the single blade mowers is so expensive to fix, it's not even worth it if the mower was less than $300 and more than 3 years old. But you're more likely to toast it hitting a stump than from unbalanced blades.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.