Where does Waterloo Valley Road end and how long is it?

Just curious as to where Waterloo Valley Road ends. I'm not referring to Waterloo Road, but the side road near one of the fishing/picnicking entrances by Stephens State Park.

I tried Googlemaps but had no success. Operator error no doubt.

It ends in the trade zone by UPS and the Mt. Olive train station.

A spur heads up into the compost area just before there, but that is gated off.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

Re: Where does Waterloo Valley Road end and how long is it?

Just as a follow-up... the new version of Google Maps is absolutely horrid, so I doubt it was user error if you couldn't get what you were looking for.

This is from Bing Maps...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

Mark's right iRun,

If you're planning on trying to run it, I would suggest driving it first so you can be aware of the pitfalls, so to speak. There are some nice hills and elevation changes along it, however, the road is very rough, with lots of ruts in it and after rain, the ruts are filled with water. I would say that it's a nice road for an experienced trail runner, but there is a lot of opportunity for injury along it too. Also, while the coyotes I've spotted on the North end of the road may not be in the area any more, there have been some recently spotted in the area of the boat landing on Waterloo Road itself, so there could be some across the river on Waterloo Valley Road as well. Though usually shy, you don't know how they may react to a single runner.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '15

If you go into a pot hole filled with water it could be a foot deep.The coyotes are there and are not very shy.

janster janster
May '15

I love this road after heavy rain, or snow.....

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
May '15

Thanks everyone. I attempted running it yesterday and experienced the potholes, using them as hurdles. LOL. I didn't go too far out of bear and coyote fears, and the one-lane dangers of being run over! I did enjoy the incline challenges is though.

I did drive it once and I was on edge the whole time. The ruts were massive and I will never do it again. I entered the road at the ITC.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
May '15

Are you looking for incline/trail running? I don't know if they ever open to the public or how often they have races but off of Waterloo Rd there's a Boy Scout camp and I did a trail run race there 2 weekends ago. It was a 5K/10K and the first damn mile was uphill. I don't know how I made it, LOL. There was even a bear at mile 2 but I think he was strategically placed for authenticity ;)
I'm just learning of some more trails and trail running groups in the general area (I'm on the Warren/Sussex border). Message me if you want the little bit of info I have

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
May '15

Dirt roads are the best fun

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '15

Lori, bear was there to help you make it up the hill!!!!

littlelu littlelu
May '15

I run and mtb back here all the time. Technical trails would be in Stephens proper and more so Allamuchy North on the opposite side of Waterloo Rd and would make a nice loop (through Tilcon) from Waterloo Valley. Wildlife is not going to bother you.

kepa
May '15

littlelu,

I'm pretty sure he was just laughing behind my back ;)
I was too tired to even care that he was there!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
May '15

I drove it about 10 years ago thinking it was a cut thru. Omg. Thank goodness i didn't have kids yet. I was actually scared and questioned why i did it. I think i hit my head on the roof of my car a few times, keys jingling and banging against the dash. Ugh. The worst.

@Lori:

I've done the Boy Scout camp incline as well. It's a great feat or should I say "feet!" No bear though, or should I say not yet.

P.S. Check your inbox!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.