Looking for dermatologist specializing in skin cancer

I am looking for a dr specializing in skin cancer. It is very hard to find a good dermatogist that u can trust. I am willing to travel just want to receive good care. If any one knows of a great dr they have had success with please let me know.

Missy Missy
May '15

http://www.drjaygeller.com

He has an office in Hackettstown as well. He only sees skin cancer patients and his assistants deal with mostly everything else.

Good luck and God speed.

I will continue to sing the praises of Dr. Andrew Li. He has treated myself, my husband, and many of our friends that had skin cancer or signs of it and has a wonderful bedside manner. He has offices in Phillipsburg, Washington and now certain days in Hackettstown. Telephone Number is: 908-387-1001

joyful joyful
May '15

Dr Geller gets my vote as well.

Hockeymom115 Hockeymom115
May '15

I'm one of those friends. Luckily I haven't had skin cancer but see Dr Li for screening I need. My mother now makes the trip from PA to here to see Dr Li, she has follow ups after her cancer. He does MOHS where they remove just the tiniest sliver at a time in order not to have more issues from the surgery.

Wouldn't go anywhere else, and would seriously do a forum search before going to Dr Geller.

Missy, Dr. Milbauer is my dermatologist in Parsippany. I have been seeing him since 1992 and would never go anywhere else. He doesn't take my current insurance and I still pay out of pocket just to see him. Caring, thorough and sensitive are three words I would use to describe him. I started seeing him when I was younger for different issues and still see him yearly for my annual exam, thankfully have not had anything come back positive. I can honestly say I would recommend him 150% to you.
http://www.parsippanydermatologist.com/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '15

I would not use Dr. Geller. Do not care for him or his practices.

Bernie Bernie
May '15

@ Bernie. I agree!.. To each his own but....No to Dr. Geller for us too.

joyful joyful
May '15

Another negative for Dr. Geller. He just cuts and cuts and does his own biopsy. He will even cut teens and most of them only have friendly moles. Any of the other are great.

Ms. Fishy Ms. Fishy
May '15

Have had a bad experience with Dr. Geller and so have a lot of other people I know.

Joyce Joyce
May '15

No to dr geller here as well! Went to have one mole looked at, came home with 30+ bandaids.

Kit87 Kit87
May '15

I agree with many above stay away from Dr. Geller. He did a number on my 6 month old daughter. One huge scar and hysterical baby!

Teenie Teenie
May '15

I recommend Dr. Almeida in Parsippany. She is very professional and thorough.

Natural Image Skin Center
Dermatologist

Address: 108 Bilby Rd #202, Hackettstown, NJ 07840

Phone:(908) 509-1938

Love them!

Kit87---Pretty much what happened to my husband and he takes the medicine.. Cumadin (Blood thinner)...

joyful joyful
May '15

Am a former patient of Dr. Geller...would avoid at all costs for the reasons outlined...currently use Dr. Blackwell who is primarily based in Newton but does see patients in Hackettstown.

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
May '15

Another vote for Dr. Millbauer, best dermatologist I've ever been to!

Popkin and Schneider Morristown

justsayin justsayin
May '15

I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel but I just started coming here recently at the suggestion of both Dr. Nicole Rocca from Natural Imaging (who I do like very much) & Dr. Eric Siegel from the Millburn. Both recommended Dr David Cohen who apparently is well know in the dermatology world as Doogie Houser. He has a couple of offices in the Murray Hill section however only the NYU clinic will take my insurance.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/dermatology/ronald-o-perelman-department-dermatology

I was very disappointed with Dr. Li. After waiting 40 mins, he saw me for less than 5 mins.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
May '15

Dr. Li, very good. Dr. Geller, no. I've been to both.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
May '15

Just be sure he/she is a miss surgeon....they are the best, trained to take thin layers of skin and look under scope till they are sure no cancer cells are present. Least scarring and most successful at getting ALL the cancer. Good luck to you. I will say a prayer for you.

sientje smith sientje smith
May '15

Not a miss, a Moes surgeon

sientje smith sientje smith
May '15

Do NOT go to Geller!

Dr Blackwell. Had office in Hackettstown and Newton. He is great as is his nurse practicioner .

ziggy ziggy
May '15

Derm group, they have an office in Flanders

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '15

Natural image skin care. We use Dr Nervi

I did not have a good experience with Dr. Blackwell, I would not go back to him.

Dr. Li is an amazing MOHs certified surgeon. He did very complicated surgery on my husbands nose with skin grafts. You can't even notice any scaring. Sloan Ketering would not do it as they insisted on a plastic surgeon. Amazing Dr. Never waited more than 10 minutes and have had numerous appointments as hubby has extensive skin damage from the sun. Love Dr Li and his surgical skills and bedside manner. Been to Sloan Kettering, NYU etc. stay away from Geller.

Pleased
May '15

I have been to 3 different dermatologists , including Dr. Geller. They have been all "cutters". Go in for one mole , they cut 5 more. The only one that was "suspicious " was the one I wanted looked at. Luckily, however the insurance companies reimburse the doctors so little, they have to do unnecessary procedures to stay afloat. Still looking for a dermatologist, myself. Dr. Geller does have an excellent P.A. (physician assistant). She knows her stuff! I wish she was the doctor, instead.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

Agree, stay away from Dr Geller.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

Dr. Nervi........He is on Bilby Rd.

Teenie Teenie
May '15

Dr. Geller: Not good! Not nice!

Eleanor Eleanor
May '15

I second Mark Popkin and Rhonda Schnieder.....

Husband and wife team on James St. Morristown.

http://doctors.healthgrove.com/l/475766/Mark-Popkin-in-Morristown-New-Jersey

The receptionist (s) / Office not always the best, but the Dr's are Excellent.

Embryodad Embryodad
May '15

Dr Nervi (Natural Image on Bilby Rd) is fabulous. Very recent experiences with him were far beyond my expectations! Incredibly competent and fabulous bedside manner.

Sunflower
May '15

100% Natural Image Skin Center. Have seen both Dr Rocca and Dr Nervi and they are both EXCELLENT. Stay far away from Dr Geller!!!!!

Really?
May '15

Do Drs Rocca and Nervi perform the mohs surgery? I am at a point whee I need to make a decision as to whether I should have another regular ( scraping ) type procedure or the Mohs surgery...I really do not know what to do or what to expect from a Mohs surgery.. any experiences shared would be wonderful and thank you! Location is the face.

Hockeymom115 Hockeymom115
May '15

if you know what you have- mohs is great- doc removes what he thinks is it- and while you wait biopsy is examined - if all margins are clear no more will be removed- if not more will be done until margins are clear- this get you cared for in one appointment - rather than waiting for biopsy results for a week or so and going back---my mom had several things done that way - worked great

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

I had the MOHS. Dr. Nervi did it. BUT there is an initial biopsy. My insurance would only do it that way. He called me 4 days later and 1 out of 3 was cancerous. So I went back and he did it bit by bit. This was on my nose. He did a great job with no scar. Very good bedside manner and gentle and calming.

Teenie Teenie
May '15

Yes, Dr Nervi does Mohs. I had it done last spring. He was wonderful and reassuring. Very skilled and left no scar on my nose at all even after stitches.

Really?
May '15

I don't want to hijack this post. It is regarding dermatology, just not for skin cancer...I have questions regarding accutane. Have a dermatologist that wants to put me on accutane. I've heard this is a very, serious drug. Anyone have any input or experience? Should I start a new thread?

villani villani
May '15

Villani - There was a previous thread on this from earlier this year that offers some opinions. Click below:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/662301#t662323

luvlife
May '15

Has anyone heard of or used Dr. Ciatti out of Morristown for MOHS? I was going to have Dr Nervi do the procedure, but the doc he uses to close after the procedure is not on my insurance so Dr Nervi suggested I use Dr Ciatti for the entire surgery.

Thanks

hockeymom115 hockeymom115
May '15

I'm looking for a female, english speaking dermatologist. In the immediate area.
Went to Natural Image last year and wasn't satisfied.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '15

Sad to hear you did not like natural image. I have used them twice and thought they were good although I have nothing to compare to. Why didn't you like them?

Abc123
Sep '15

Bothered ~ Not female and not too local, but I used Dr Ciatti out of Morristown, Fairfield. He was the only MOHS surgeon on my insurance, but he was amazing ! Good luck in your search !

hockeymom115 hockeymom115
Sep '15

I recommend Dr. Geller -- although labeled a "cutter" in the posts above, in my opinion better safe than sorry. My mother had been told that a mole on her leg was fine by her dermatologist and that there was no need to perform a biopsy, I insisted she consult with another doctor. The growth was indeed malignant. Although she was treated at that point, she passed away from melanoma five years later. My daughters and I have been patients of Dr. Geller for many years and we are very happy with and confident in the treatment received from him and his staff.

I believe they all do skin cancer. I had gone to the above mentioned and after removing several "friendly" moles and leaving the office looking like I went through a windshield, I went elsewhere.
A nurse at Dover General told me of Dr. David Najarian who is in Randolph. He will spend all the time you need to help you with whatever needs you have. Also MOHS surgeon. He is young, so I hope he will be there for the rest of my life. Nice doctor too.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '15

MOHS is actually safer than indiscriminate hacking. The amount removed is razor thin and tested on the spot. That leads to less bleeding and smaller chance of infection. Far less chance of scaring doesn't hurt either. Hacking you won't even know until later if the scar you've got was even necessary at all.

Thanks hockeymom.

abc123 - Dr. Navi (?) cold and rushing thru my visit.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '15

Bumping this thread up.. any new Drs to recommend, in particular for facial plastic surgery? My son has a mole on his jawline that we want to remove, he keeps nicking it while shaving.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '16

There's a large group with offices in Morristown, Mt. Arlington, Bridgewater & Liberty Corner. Both DH and I saw them. The number for the Morristown office is 973-267-0300. Dr. Lauren Cooper.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

I don't know of any new practices locally. I continue to recommend Dr Li for that hktownie. Both me, my mom, and several others here on HL see him.

Dr Blackwell has a fantastic assistant! She is a mt olive graduate, young with a great bedside manner. I highly recommend both her and dr Blackwell!

Ziggy Ziggy
Aug '16

Natural Image Skin Center, located in the medical building on Bilby Road. Dr. Nicole Rocca and Dr. Stephen Nervi. 908-509-1938

Wonderful Wonderful
Aug '16

Memorial Sloan Kettering; they have an office in Basking Ridge and in Manhattan

The absolute best

Summer Summer
Aug '16

Hi! I had a mole removed on my eyebrow. It was very large, and it was in a very delicate area.I was so worried about a scar. I went to see Dr. Ross Zbar. He is a plastic surgeon, and a very talented one. My procedure went without a hitch. It healed so well that you can't tell it was even there to begin with. He used to have a satellite office in Hackettstown and saw patients there one day a month. Not sure if he still does. He also participates in insurance. :)
Here is his link: http://www.drrosszbar.com/about.html

LadySkiDog LadySkiDog
Aug '16

I see a lot of no to Dr. Geller on here and had read the same in the past on another thread. Personally I've been going to him for a full body scan yearly for years. Two years ago he found nothing to take off. I missed last years visit and just went this year. Again he found nothing to take off. In fact, he told me that I didn't need to return for a while unless I noticed something of concern since I've had nothing the last two visits. If I had wanted the skin tags removed he would have done so if they were bothering me. I chose not to do anything about them this visit as I wanted to be able to go swimming in the 90 degree heat that week. Having not had to deal with skin cancer I can't say how he would be for that issue. Best wishes.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '16

Dr. Lauren Cooper

Momof3 Momof3
Aug '16

Thank you all!

hktownie hktownie
Aug '16

I would NEVER recommend dr gellar. He messed up my chart. I had a melanoma/dysplasia nevus and he never reported that for a referral to the surgeons office thank god I'm still alive I had several moles biopsied and he forgot to let me know about a cancerous mole. He's an a hole in my opinion. Dr. Gross in hackettstown took care of me. Loved him.

Jessica C Jessica C
Aug '16

No to Dr. Geller. He left a scar on my face - told me he didn't do stitches. Yes to Dr. Almeida (who fixed it and treated me) in Parsippany (973) 335-2560 and The Derm Group (I like Dr. Nossa) 973-571-2121. They have various locations - the closest is West Orange.

MtBethel MtBethel
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.