Tannery Field Parking

Are we seriously not allowed to park there after 6pm? I took the sign to mean that you need a permit to park there from 6am-4pm.

Kelleo22 Kelleo22
Apr '15

I got a ticket there on a 20-degree February night in 2009, when I parked next to the field (in one of those spots behind the right field fence) so I could cover a Centenary basketball game.

There was no softball game going on, could not believe I got a ticket.

Still can't ... and it's been a few years.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Yes, you seriously are not supposed to park there....The parking is for the ballfield, NOT the college. Currently there are 3 softball games there every night and parking is tight

deviljet
Apr '15

Several women in my water exercise class (at Centenary) were also ticketed. This was at 8:30 am to 10:30 am. On a week day, when Centenary and schools were open. Of course there wasn't any soft ball game, or ice skating either. Doesn't make much sense does it?

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '15

Park there for what purpose? To attend a softball game, you sure are allowed,

Tracy Tracy
Apr '15

"This was at 8:30 am to 10:30 am. On a week day, when Centenary and schools were open."

Since the purpose is likely to prevent unauthorized student parking, I would expect tickets to be given during school hours - just like it is at most colleges (I got a few tickets at Rutgers when I parked where I shouldn't have). There should be some sort of temporary tag that could be given to valid attendees of on-campus activities, though.

Writing someone a ticket after hours is dumb - unless it's at the wee hours of the morning to discourage overnight use.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Our class is held at Centenary, and we are subject to the rules of the college. Now that the ice is gone from the parking lot, we are allowed to park along the first baseline and second as well. Also, this is town property, not the college. Their students were ticketed as well. It has something to do with the ice rink.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '15

If you are a Hackettstown resident you can get a free tag for your car so you can park there.

Teenie Teenie
Apr '15

My parking ticket was in FEBRUARY. The weather was cold.

The really funny thing is, there was a snowfall the night before I paid my ticket.

I drove down Grand Avenue past the field and saw those spaces had been plowed.

I remember thinking, WHY?

They want more ticket revenue, that's why.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Where have you people been for the past 5 yrs. No parking means no parking. When the parking issue got out of control from the college, the council came up with the no parking in certain areas certain times around the college. It was never a revenue issue, it was to protect the tax paying residents. Anyone living in that area had endured years and years of driveways being blocked, no place to park cars for their family or guests. Couldn't dare move your car for even a minute because it wouldn't be there when you got back. They had to do something for the residents. It has been a sigh of relief to the residents of that area. If you are a resident of Hackettstown go to town hall and get your FREE parking pass. You don't have to live in the area, just proof you reside in Hackettstown. They are really strict about giving parking tickets and I'm glad. Almost got one myself because my pass fell off the mirror and was laying on my seat.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '15

I didn't block anybody's driveway.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Well put auntiel! The college just keeps building and adding on, and they don't factor in parking!

deviljet
Apr '15

Just revenue for the town. Has nothing to do with safety or anything else.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

Bothered by u
That is the farthest thing from the truth the recreation department allows students to park there however during softball season they have rules. The pd has received several complaints and I know centenary sends out emails to all the students.

Trueblue
Apr '15

There is also no parking while the ice rink is frozen. Got a ticket there last month because of that while taking my six year old to swimming lessons. It stinks because there is no other available parking closer to the pool and I have to lug three kids ages 6 and under across campus to the pool in 20 degree weather for a half hour lesson.

Kelly1 Kelly1
Apr '15

Most of you are missing the point. This parking is NOT in a residential area. It is only around the Tannery field. Andy knows the story as do the ladies who swim at Centenary pool. Everyone's favorite officer can be seen writing tickets at the field during the winter months. (only on the first base line side.) Supposedly it's b/c of the ice rink. So, if school is in session, who is using the ice rink. During the warmer months the rink is a parking lot for the ball games. The parking law is written on the signs. All you need to do is read the signs. Sorry Andy.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '15

No offense the HPD, but how do they know I wasn't there for the game?

Kelleo22 Kelleo22
Apr '15

Kelleo22

Tickets are issued before the games start. If people continue to park there the recreation committee could revoke their agreement with Centenary and not allow parking at all there for the whole year.

trueblue
Apr '15

Maybe they looked at the softball schedule.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

As stated earlier there was an agreement between recreation and centenary unfortunately when it is not followed people call the police and they are the ones that have to come in and enforce the ordinance

Trueblue
Apr '15

First of all the police officers asked all the players and fans if any of the cars were there's. Second the agreement is between Centenary and the Recreation Department. Rec has upheld their end of the agreement Centenary not so much. Typical give an inch take a mile.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Apr '15

What don't you people get! It is town property, as is the Tannery Field, not Centenary's! if they can't provide adequate parking for their students, too bad!

deviljet
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.