2015 Mulch Pricing

Who has the best pricing for black mulch? I would need it delivered.

I did a search but didn't find anything recent.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '15

You missed out on the Home Depot Spring Black Friday sale where they were selling bags 5/$10. Cant beat that deal anywhere - but you do have to pick up.
Kirk Allen had a coupon in the ValPak, and I know Donaldson's delivers but I do not know their pricing.
Good luck

Natalie Natalie
Apr '15

Try Hoffman's Supply in Long Valley. They deliver. Don't know prices.

I got 15 bags at Home Depot when they had that 5 for $10 deal going on. Made me happy!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

Plant Farm had it for 30.99/yd. not sure what their delivery would be for you but they charged us $20 since we are so close. Can't hurt to call and ask.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '15

Your best price for black hardwood and delivery would probably be tickners.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Apr '15

I need at least 10 yards that's why I didn't want to do the bags. However, if it's a lot cheaper I would

Nosila Nosila
Apr '15

Also check Mackey's Orchard. I know they sell loose mulch. I purchased from them a few years back.

TICKNER is $30.98 not incl delivery.

BACI'S mom BACI'S mom
Apr '15

Mulch in bags is 2 cubic ft. And a light 2 cubic feet at that, bagged mulch never goes as far as it should.

There are 27 cubic feet in a yard of mulch, and usually a little more.

So you need 13.5, more like 14-15 bags for one yard of mulch.

At $2 a bag, it comes out to $28 a yard, while it seems cheap, you'll spend more time and more money in gas driving to and from Home Depot all day rather than have it delivered for $20.

For 10 yards, you'd need somewhere around 140 bags of mulch, weighing somewhere in the vicinity of 7000lbs.

Apr '15

I did 95 bags from HD during the sale. It took 3 trips butI am only a mile away

If you have a vehicle to transport it with, I think the Sussex County landfill sells it for $15 / yard. Not sure if the Warren County landfill does something similar? It's just outside of Newton in Lafayette so by the time you drive up it may not make sense.

M & K M & K
Apr '15

I believe the mulch at the sussex county landfill is free as long as you load it yourself. The is a fee to have it loaded (something like $5 a yard). Beware... it can sometimes have a lot of trash (plastic bag fragments, etc.) in it.

The colorized mulch is not free.

Mr. Mulchie
Apr '15

My 15 bags took 1 trip. All fit in the SUV with no problem.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

I just purchase 10 yards of black mulch from TRANQUILITY FARMS in andover

I paid $350.00 with FREE DELIVERY

I called them at 9am last Saturday and it was delivered TWO HOURS later

MariaJJ MariaJJ
Apr '15

MariaJJ- That's $35 a yard that seems really high. So you may have gotten "free" delivery but you paid for it.

Looks like the best deal I found for black mulch is $25 a yard.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '15

Nosila,
Maybe the "FREE" delivery was added into my price BUT customer loyalty as well as EXCELLENT quality mulch makes it worth every penny.
Just remember .... sometimes if you buy cheap, you get cheap.
JUST SAYIN'

MariaJ MariaJ
Apr '15

Paying about $35 a yard for mulch is pretty standard for the local market and homeowner pricing. Every place is different, and some places have nicer mulch than others, some places don't have all the varieties in bulk.

We use both Donaldson's and Tickner's for different things. Both are good, I like Donaldson's hardwood mulch better, but they often don't have hemlock so we get it from Tickner's. Tickners also has red, donaldson's doesn't.

For plants, I don't go anywhere but Donaldson's. Never buy plants from Home Depot or Lowes. Fall Mums at donaldson's are cheaper than anywhere else in the area and way nicer.

Apr '15

Thanks Pennings... You are totally right !!
Im sure that $35 is the standard. Sure you can save a couple of bucks here and there but for quality and loyalty as well as the convenience of having it delivered within an hour or so is worth the extra 10-25 dollars.

MariaJ J MariaJ J
Apr '15

Plain and Fancy Wholesale is the place to go. You can pickup or they deliver, I can tell you delivery to my house near Belvidere, was $40.

Price per yard is $21/yd, if you purchase 10yards or less.

Here is address and phone number:
427 Montana Rd
Washington, New Jersey
(908) 689-3911

Or on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plain-Fancy-Wholesale-Stone-Supply/163191097042132?sk=info&tab=overview

Tranquility Farms -20 yards brown mulch with delivery to Independence $650.00

jennifer1 jennifer1
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.