2015 Summer Movie Reviews

I was watching the live feed of some Star Wars convention and they cut the feed right before the 2nd trailer for The Force Awakens was shown... What a friggin tease...

Some good movies coming out this year. Hope they are as good as they're hyped up to be. Fast and the Furious 7 was good.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I take it back... It showed up online after all... Looks sweet!

http://kotaku.com/heres-the-new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-1698254491

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I'm debating whether to see F7 next week on 5 dollar Tuesday at the Stroud Mall Cinemark theater- like those movies since F5 , but not crazy about them . Of course the big one coming up is the new Avengers movie in a couple of weeks . Only been to two movies this year - Wild and American Sniper both very good . I read the American Sniper ebook from the library and it had so much more than the movie , I recommend it to anyone who liked the movie . Can't see too much more interesting after Avengers though , never been to a Fantastic 4 movie and this one looks horrible , Ant Man doesn't excite me , nor does Terminator Genesis (or however it's spelled) .

MI 5 Rogue Nation and the new Bond movie I'll probably go to see though . What's funny is that Sony botched Spider Man so badly last year they are getting Marvel Studios to recast the role with an actual teenager to appear (before his own movie) in 2016's Captain America Civil War . Rumor is the new Spidey may actually appear in an Avengers after credit scene . Thankfully his new first movie will not repeat the origin story for yet a third time !

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/10/andrew-garfield-out-as-spider-man-joins-the-marvel-cinematic-universe.html

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

I'm excited for maggie, entourage, and jurassic world.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Apr '15

Forgot about Jurassic World which could be excellent in IMAX 3D . As far as Maggie goes , it's a good trailer and almost gets me interested into going to a zombie movie (a genre I hate) , and I'm shocked that an awful show like Entourage (loosely based on Marky Mark Wahlberg and his entourage) gets a movie , while the really good former HBO shows like Deadwood and Rome do not ! Cheaper to make I guess .

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

Most people hate entourage, but I can't help but love it.

Maggie doesn't look like the hordes of the dead kind of zombie movie. It looks like a fresh take on the genre. I'm gonna see it the weekend it comes out, I'll let you know if it's good. The walking dead has set the bar so high for zombie movies, that they have to do something great to really make it even worth making. World War Z was terrible, brad pitt just trying to cash in on the walking dead. The book was fantastic though, nothing like the movie.

Apr '15

I've liked zombie books also like WWZ and the best being Brian Keene's The Rising. But on tv or film it's zombies come try to eat humans , humans run - over and over the same stupid plot . I just saw on dvd the zombie movie Life After Beth which looked funny in a trailer . It wasn't , in fact Aubrey Plaza should have won a Razzie for her idiotic constant screaming performance . Sorry , I don't care how relevant filmmakers try to make them , zombie movies are just stupid IMO .

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

For the summer - Avengers and Jurassic Park are about it for me as of right now. Ant Man may sway me like Guardians of the Galaxy did last year. FF4 may be a rental.

After that, Hunger Games and Star Wars are the only ones I'm looking for ward too but they're at the end of the year.

Just as well, I spent a fortune last year with all of the comic book movies. IMAX and popcorn for a family of four was almost a mini-vacation by the time I was done.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '15

I liked the new Antman trailer

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Wake me when it's fall and the good movies come out.

eperot eperot
Apr '15

If no one has seen it yet the new Netflix series Daredevil is light years better than that awful Ben Affleck movie of the same name . Done as a dark gritty crime drama it's well cast , the fight scenes are choreographed beautifully , and you won't see a red armor plated costume til the last episode as he beats on and gets beaten in this bone breaking ultra violent crime drama .

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2015/04/daredevil_on_netflix_the_best_superhero_tv_series_i_ve_ever_seen.html

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=118811

Leaked Batman vs Superman trailer.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

We saw The Woman in Gold last week. It was a very good movie. I recommend it. Pretty incredible true story.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '15

What did everyone think of the Justified series finale ? I expected one of the main characters to be killed off , but nope . Even Winn Duffy escaped with the rest of the money by helping Ava leave Kentucky in his dog grooming van - rumored to be seen in Fiji . I didn't care much for Boyd going back to his jailhouse preacher ways and when he wondered why Raylan felt he should tell him about Ava in person I thought for sure he saw through the ruse . All in all a good series wrap up , going to miss that show .

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

Liked it a lot. Thought it was an appropriate ending for the series and kept with how they generally treated the main characters while hold true to Elmore Leonard. Dialogue was great this season. I read a review and much of what Ava, Raylan, and Boyd said to each other was from the first episode. And the 'We dug coal together' line? Great. I will miss this little world of hillbilly hi jinks.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '15

I'm going to ignore the justified comments and not read them, I don't want spoilers, I just started watching it. I also need to watch the last few episodes of banshee. For anyone that hasn't seen it, you really should. It's amazing.

Daredevil on netflix is awesome, I haven't finished it yet, but I love it. Daredevil with Ben afflec was awful, Ben was bad, but colin farrel's performance was by far the worst. Like so bad I can't believe they released this movie. It's actually worse than the George clooney batman movie, and that's really hard to beat.

Marvel has something with these netflix series if they continue to be like this. Generally, I think anything that marvel releases in television and film is generally pretty bad, they have way more misses than serious wins. The first hulk movie, even the second hulk movie, The last three Spider-Man movies (the first two were just ok). A few of the x men movies were good, but that's pretty much it.

Apr '15

Affleck's zip up red leather jacket was pretty bad as was the whole movie which wasn't actually made by Marvel Studios who only started making their own features in 2008 with the Iron Man movie and the second Hulk film - which was better than the 2003 Ang Lee version , but the role wasn't perfected until the Mark Ruffalo version in the Avengers . Going bankrupt in the 90s Marvel had to sell the rights to all their big properties - Spider Man to Sony , Fantastic Four , and X-Men to Twentieth Century Fox . Since 2008 Marvel Studios genius producer Kevin Feige took all their B list titles like Iron Man/Thor/Captain America along with obscure C list Guardians of The Galaxy and made them all into big money making hits - can't wait to see what Feige does with Spider Man ! Power Man/Iron Fist/Jessica Jones (I have only heard of Power Man ) are also Netflix scheduled series and they will all unite as The Defenders (never heard of that either) and be in a future Avengers movie .

As far as Banshee goes to get more of the story you should definitely check out the Banshee origins website which suggests that Hood was such a covert black ops agent his whole identity was wiped out - drop down box on upper left . Don't know if you or anyone else here was a fan of last year's HBO's True Detective , but I downloaded last year's theme song (Handsome Family - Far From Any Road) from that show into my music library and must have this one from the trailer whenever they release it !

http://www.welcometobanshee.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRL5d0oiD8

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

I used to read the Luke Cage/Iron Fist team up. Loved it as a kid so I'm interested to see how that turns out on Netflix. Watched the first 5 minutes of Daredevil. It was pretty good based on that. I need to make time to watch the whole thing.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I didn't think Affleck as DD was bad. I think the rest of movie (especially Colin Farrel - how does that guy continue to get roles?) was horrible. The spin-off Elektra movie was even more horrendous.

I didn't really like either Hulk movies but loved the Hulk in the Avengers.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '15

I've seen some good Farrell roles like Tigerland , the excellent In Bruges , he wasn't anything great in Minority Report but didn't overact and stink it up , and wasn't too bad in Seven Psychopaths . The problem in that movie is the way the roles where written - over the top for his character and MCD as Kingpin . I still shake my head at the awful effects when Daredevil fights him , the (airbrushed out ) wires holding him over Kingpin's head were not hard to imagine . And this was a year after the great effects in the first Raimi Spider Man .

Wait until you see how Vincent D'Onfrio plays Wilson Fisk (Kingpin but not yet called that as DD is also just known as the black mask vigilante), a violent psychopath who actually believes he's doing the right thing for Hell's Kitchen (after the "Incident" - the alien invasion from Avengers) but turns into a stammering little boy in front of Vanessa (also perfectly cast) the woman he falls in love with . Best Marvel Villain (human villain - Loki a demigod doesn't count) since Alfred Molina's conflicted Doc Ock !

Here's some photos of Luke Cage (Mike Colter) and Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) from the set of Jessica Jones .

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/jessica-jones-set-photos-include-luke-cage-and-the-purple-man

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

Avengers Age of Ultron - Not quite as good as the first one mainly because they jam too much into it , but sequels rarely are . All in all a very good action packed popcorn movie , especially in IMAX 3D . Next one I probably will see is Jurassic World - whose trailer was really impressive .

I recently saw the (very boring almost 3 hour long) movie Interstellar on dvd and didn't realize Matt Damon was in it . Now I finally get ianimal's joke about a Damon movie with an all star cast stinking it up . Took me awhile , but Elysium + Monuments Men + Interstellar = 3 awful movies .They'll probably make a mess out of The Martian too .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

I never saw Monuments Men but Elysium was bad. Neil Blomkamp has proven, thus far, to be overrated IMO.

I'm hoping to see Avengers 2 this weekend. Interstellar was a stellar snoozefest until the last 30 minutes or so. I like "thinking man's scifi features", eg Oblivion, but Interstellar was a lot of "is something exciting going to happen or what?"

emaxxman emaxxman
May '15

I thought Avengers Age of Ultron was great. Glad Avengers Infinity War is 2 movies. There's probably going to be a ton of characters battling Thanos and there's no way you could do it right with one movie.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

It looks like next year's Captain America Civil War is going to be almost another Avengers movie . With Iron Man , Ant-Man , Black Panther , Winter Soldier , probably the Hulk, and the new Spider-Man . I've read that 18 year old Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Ender's Game) is the front runner for being cast in the third reboot of that character .

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/07/captain-america-civil-war-meet-new-cast

http://screenrant.com/new-spider-man-marvel-asa-butterfield-tom-holland/

Zombo Zombo
May '15

Elysium was not a good movie, agreed. Monuments Men wasn't that bad. It was all fluff, but I thought it was ok. I'm a sucker for historical stuff, so that may cloud my judgement.

I haven't seen Interstellar. I've heard good and bad. Really looking forward to Mad Max. That should be wild.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '15

If you don't pay attention to every detail in Interstellar, then you will be confused.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I wasn't confused , just bored to death . A nearly 3 hour long movie ? Why oh why ! I've long considered Chris Nolan a vastly overrated director , now I'm sure of it ! Not nearly as overrated as Neill Blomkamp who is slated to direct an Alien 5 movie . Every movie this guy has done after District 9 is really bad (I've heard Chappie is crappy) .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

I thought District 9 was bad too. Maybe it's because it wasn't what I was expecting. I think I just don't like Blomkamp's directing style.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '15

I really didn't care for District 9 either , but it scored big at the box office and both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic loved it . I really didn't get aliens turning into ghetto dwellers or the U.S. not meddling into aliens landing on Earth - which they would absolutely do . The viewpoint of a South African director trying to parallel apartheid I suppose . Didn't get Nolan portraying Thomas Edison as a thug sending henchmen to destroy Nicola Tesla's lab in The Prestige either - made the whole movie seem silly after that and it wasn't too far from silly before that event supposedly occurred .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

Finally got to see Avengers. I have to say, I liked it more than the first one.

I thought there was some decent character development (something lacking a little in the first one) and the action visuals were awesome. Yes, there was a lot stuffed in but it never seemed to drag to me. Well paced and the ending sets up the phase 3 movies. The only thing that it didn't do better was the humor. The first movie had some great humorous moments. This one was a little more serious (which I like...I actually really enjoy the dark tones of the DC movies.)

The Jurassic World trailer in IMAX 3D was incredible. And Star Wars can't arrive fast enough.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '15

Yeah it was good emaxxman. Now it's all Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet for part 3!

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Mad Max Fury Road - I wasn't going to see this , but a 98% positive Rotten Tomatoes rating and an 89% Metacritic score convinced me to give it a shot . Not playing in AMC IMAX so I saw it at Stroud Mall Cinemark XD 3D . Kind of like a Transformers movie , super loud and 2 solid hours of non-stop action with monster trucks/motor cycles/insane crazy people/sometimes unintelligible Australian accents/a hero without much to say , and a determined one armed Charlize Theron (she had the best part) . Not my cup of tea , but the critics sure loved it even though what little plot it had was lame . Fans of the Transformer movies should love this one . Me , I'm not surprised it lost the weekend to Pitch Perfect 2 by 24 million .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

I am always late with seeing movies and get them on DVD just seen the last of the Hobbit Movies the Battle of the Five armys was not bad and Pattington was good , Now I was watching last night Divergent and that's my kind of movie and I hope they do the other three books Too

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '15

The Divergent sequel Insurgent was in and out of the theater already and should be on dvd within a few months . My favorite Hobbit movie was the second one ,The Desolation of Smaug . Just the thought of those dwarves spinning around in those wine barrels in the rushing water always makes me laugh .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

BTW I saw Maggie on the Putlocker web site and it was just as awful and depressing as pretty much any zombie movie ever made . If you use Putlocker make sure to download Ad Block Plus on the browser you are using beforehand .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

Looking forward to seeing Jurassic World this weekend.

Not a 2015 movie but the plot to Batman V Superman has been released:
http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-plot-summary/

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

https://youtu.be/1jV1kex08js Looking forward to seeing Jurassic World this weekend.

oldred
Jun '15

I just hope they don't use Doomsday in that movie like it's been rumored. He should be saved down the road for a Death of Superman story arc. Use Brainiac or Metallo.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Most DC movies suck , they should just stick to tv and animated features . Really they pick bad scripts , bad directors , and cast badly . Has-Ben Affleck as Batman is a joke ! Director Zack Snyder hasn't done anything remotely good since Watchmen . Sucker Punch was beyond awful , Man of Steel mediocre , and 300 Rise of an Empire was an absolutely pathetic sequel . Why can't they get a guru like Marvel's Kevin Feige to hire the right people to point them in the right direction and hire the right people ? I guess Warner Brothers Studios are like the Wilpons - Cheap and Stupid !

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

Did Snyder direct Rise of an Empire? I thought he didn't. I thought Watchmen was just OK (but I never read the books so I don't know how the movie compares to it.)

I think Affleck is a good actor. He wasn't what was wrong with Daredevil. I am a bit apprehensive about him as Batman though.

BTW, I have two episodes left to watch with the Daredevil Netflix series. Damn good show.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Snyder was producer and writer on the 300 sequel , but didn't direct it . If DC/WB had half a brain they'd make Bruce Timm their Kevin Feige and sit back to see where it goes . Because trying to make all their live action heroes the brooding Chris Nolan Batman types ain't working ! Yeah Netflix Daredevil rocks ! And The Punisher is coming for season two .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Timm

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24699/jon_bernthal_cast_as_frank_castle_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_daredevil

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

Just returned home from seeing the movie "Spy"....It was great!

joyful joyful
Jun '15

McCarthy's ad-libbed insults can be hilarious , but I think I'll wait for the dvd .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqOWRg2VXQ

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

I hope Bernthal bulks up a little for his role as Punisher. He is, after all, supposed to be ex-special forces.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Six minutes of Ant-Man is playing at IMAX theaters before Jurassic World . I don't think I'll be going to that one based on what I've seen so far . I'll probably go to Jurassic World next week . Some effects look decent , others like when Chris Pratt is riding the motorcycle among the raptors look as phony as CGI can get .

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

You people who complain about DC characters killing are idiots. Every Marvel villain dies!!!

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Who are you referring to Metsman? I'm confused. I don't see a post about killing DC characters.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Just in general. Not referring to anyone specific. That seems to be the biggest complaint in Man of Steel that he killed Zod. What choice did he have...

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

People didn't understand Superman. Superman has killed. Batman is the one that is vehemently against killing. Wait till they see Wonder Woman. She carries a sword and considers both Superman and Batman weak for not killing more.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Looks like Batman kills in Batman vs Superman. The trailer shows the batwing taking out cars and thugs.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

It will be interesting to see how that scene plays out in the movie. Maybe there will be a barrage of bullets and not a single person hit...like the A-Team. LOL.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Saw Mad Max last night. I enjoyed it. One great long car chase, numerous explosions, plenty of ridiculous stuff as to be expected. Deserving of 98% rottentomatoes rating? Nah. Just good turn your brain off entertainment. Charlize was excellent. Great how they flipped it to a strong female character.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '15

Rotten Tomatoes is a garbage site. I don't even pay attention to it.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Jurassic World- good summer entertainment:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '15

@Blackcat - was it as good as the 1st one ? Thinking about going tomorrow.

ok, not in theaters, but, is will ferel making a spoof for the lifetime network?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

Enjoyed it. Better than the middle two;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '15

Jurassic World- good movie give it 4 stars out of 5

oldred
Jun '15

I definitely recommend "Love and Mercy", about Brian Wilson.

I saw Jurassic World today and enjoyed it despite some of it's bad effects and predictable story . For example you just knew the Mosasaurus was going to play a major part in the story eventually . As a book reader who has read the 4 book Meg (Megalodon shark) series by Steve Alten that was the most impressive creature . The 4th book Meg Hell's Aquarium has more prehistoric sea creatures than you can imagine , and he makes the story very believable .

Loved the Martian trailer . Some quotes from the book - duct tape can't be improved upon by NASA . Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped ! It's true in space no one can hear you scream - like a little girl ! What would the Apollo astronauts do , probably drink 3 whiskey sours , drive their Corvette to the launchpad and fly to the moon in a command module much smaller than my rover . Man those guys were awesome !

http://themoviebox.net/7056

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

Has anyone seen Entourage yet? Planning to see it this weekend if it's worth it. Reviews seem less than stellar unfortunately.

Zombo how could you have predicted the Mosasaurus would take down the Indominus Rex?! LOL... The only time you could predict it is seconds before it happens when the I-Rex is backed up to the pool by the T-Rex and Raptor. I wasn't thinking at the beginning "oh this big fishosaurus is gonna eat the I-Rex"...

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Thought the movie my DH kept saying "Is she still wearing those heels and running?". I want those heels;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '15

Plot development . Why even introduce the Mosasaurous unless it had a role to play later on in the movie ? Same thing with the Velociraptors and the army guy's plan to use them against the Rex , you knew that was going to eventually happen also . Enjoyed the movie , but some parts were very predictable .

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

I thought the I-Rex was going to get knocked into the water first but that wouldn't have been as visually dramatic. You could also tell that Dinofrio's character was going to bite the dust.

I thought the movie was very enjoyable. It wasn't as good as the first but I think that's because the first benefited from the visual awe of seeing the dinosaurs for the first time. There was some (not a lot) of character development; not as much humor (which is fine by me.)

IMAX, as always, is the best way to see a visually massive movie like this.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

I liked the first one better too , plus it didn't require you to suspend belief as much because of some of the plot holes in this one . For example Claire going through the entire ordeal in high heels - the Herman Survivors of women's dress pumps apparently . This Sunday(21st) and next Wednesday (24th) TCM is bringing back Jaws to the big screen for it's 40th anniversary . Jaws is rated the best summer blockbuster of all time . Forty years later and people are still afraid to swim in the ocean !

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/jaws

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

i never liked jaws, didnt care for it

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

I saw Jaws late in it's run at the Strand for a dollar and loved it , despite the annoying kids there who had seen it before screaming right before scenes actually happened . One of those instances where the movie was definitely better than the book .

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

BD, you might be the only person I've encountered that didn't like Jaws. That's a great movie. And one of the few early horror films (along with Alien) where you didn't actually see the monster through much of the movie and that made it scarier. Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw were great.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '15

Yeah Jaws is a classic. Not sure how anyone could dislike it.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

I liked Jaws a lot but I saw it as a rental long after Jaws 2 was released (so I never got the thrill of getting scared by it.) It's kind of ironic that on its 40th anniversary, we're (unfortunately) experiencing a rash of shark attacks and sightings up in this area. I heard Cape May spotted a great white.

I saw Unbroken the other night. I can't even begin to imagine the brutality the POW's endured. It wasn't the most well-directed movie but it was very moving to say the least.

Is anyone going to see Antman in the theaters? I'm still not sure if it's worth the money. I'm sure it'll be enjoyable but it doesn't seem to be a movie that would visually benefit from the big screen.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Go to the cheap showings. I never pay full price for a movie.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

The six minute IMAX Ant-Man preview convinced me the movie is even sillier than I had at first thought , so no I have no plans to see it . With Marvel seemingly determined to put all their properties on the big screen they are bound to eventually have a flop or two . The Fox Studio's Fantastic Four reboot looks like crapola too.

I'm actually intrigued by that new Terminator movie which was recently endorsed by James Cameron . A discount non-3D viewing though , probably at the Stroud Mall Cinemark theater with stadium seating , great surround sound , comfortable seats , and huge curved screens all for a mere 5 bucks on Tuesdays . After that Mission Impossible Rogue Nation . It's not in 3D , but with IMAX you don't need it as I got hella vertigo watching the Ghost Protocol scenes with the world's tallest building in Dubai . You want to look away but can't because it's so very cool !

http://themoviebox.net/7022

http://www.cinemark.com/theatre-detail.aspx?node_id=35644&

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

I already go to the first daily showing to keep costs down...have to pay for 4 people when I go. I have a nice 55 inch led tv and home theater sound at home. If I'm paying for a movie, I'll go the full IMAX route if available.

I felt the same way Zombo about Antman. I'm sure I'll watch the FF4 movie but have no desire to pay theater prices.

Speaking about vertigo, how about that Trade Center high wire movie trailer they showed in IMAX. I thought I was going to get dizzy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Lol 6 or 7 bucks is too steep for you?!

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Oh hell yeah ! That movie trailer for The Walk had me feeling dizzier than Jessica Simpson . But watching Ghost Protocol in IMAX with no 3D back in December 2011 and getting massive vertigo was something I never experienced until then and haven't since . Too bad the pathetic Bowtie theater in Mansfield wasn't remodeled into the Cinemark 10 theater (opened in November 2011) in the Stroud Mall . It's becoming my favorite movie place - never payed over 10.50 for a movie which is their senior top price for their version of IMAX called Xtreme Digital (XD) which is a bigger version of Real D (IMAX glasses don't work with Real D) . Some gray in your hair and they don't ask for ID . Love that place .

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

Metsman - $7 plus IMAX up charge plus possible 3d up charge times 4 people.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

What do you need IMAX for? $7 x 4 people is $28. Sneak in some snacks and that's a cheap outing.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

We go to early weekend showings when we have time at AMC. I save bowties on Tuesday for stuff I don't care about seeing on a bigger screen and better sound.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

"What do you need IMAX for? "

Because it goes to 11!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Well that's your choice to go the IMAX route. A regular $7 movie is sufficient for most.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Tell em e-man , you can go to a movie or be PART of a movie ! I'd advise anyone to experience IMAX at least once before judging . Mansfield Bowtie has worse picture and sound than my home theater and it remains the only theater that ever gave me a severe 3D headache after watching Journey to the Center of the Earth - when they don't do it right that's what happens .

The first time that spinning 3D IMAX circle practically hit me in the face I knew it was something special . Go to a movie or be part of a movie - as Morgan Freeman says in Shawshank Redemption that's goddamn right ! You can spend 13.27 for an IMAX matinee or go to a brew pub and buy 4 draft beers for 24 bucks . To each their own .

https://www.imax.com/about/experience/

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

Bowties redid the sound since they bought it.

A regular showing at AMC is still well above par.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '15

Ever since I got my 55" led tv, any non-IMAX screen looks soft to me. I'd rather rent the blu ray; cheaper, clearer, full surround sound, and a more comfortable environment.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

First off I'd like to apologize to Metsman for being such an idiot moron . You go see movies wherever you want to , frankly it's all opinion and none of anyone else's business anyway , especially mine .

Having said that I just saw MI5 Rogue Nation and it was very entertaining for a summer popcorn movie . I liked it much better than Jurassic World . Saw it in IMAX , but I don't really think it enhanced it in any way except for maybe the sound . For example Ghost Protocol had vertigo inducing scenes at the tallest building in the world in Dubai , but in this one Cruise hangs off of a plane flying high up and you feel no dizziness at all . The best part of the movie though IMO was the counter spy played by Rebecca Ferguson . How this actress never cracked the U.S. film industry until now is a mystery . A very good flick , but I'd save on the extra IMAX cost for this one .

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/31/mission-impossible-rogue-nation-rebecca-ferguson

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

I don't go see effects laden movies at Bowties. I'll go see comedies or chick flicks with the lil woman there. If I want to see a movie like Ant-Man, I went to AMC. Not sure why you flipped out over that Zombo. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Aug '15

PIxels was great! Very appealing to the 40-60 crowd I would say. Centipede rules!

hktownie hktownie
Aug '15

I think Metsman that my slight hearing loss of some middle frequencies makes it hard to hear some of the dialogue at the Mansfield Bowtie . Never have that problem anywhere else even at the Ledgewood Bowtie . I don't really blame Mansfield , they can only turn up the volume so far with 14 theaters packed into such a small building. Ever seen a movie in that tiny late run theater all the way at the end of the hall ? I saw a movie there before any hearing loss , Live Free or Die Hard , and the volume was so low it was a joke , called it the janitor's closet afterwards for the big garbage can and broom by the exit door . A remodel with with say 10 theaters with high backed stadium seating , a larger screen option like a baby IMAX or XD , and a bit better sound would be nice .

Wow Fantastic Four a mere 10% on RT . Looks like the awful trailers for that movie didn't lie !

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

I enjoyed Mission Impossible. Other than laughing when the BMW did a dozen back flips, I found it entertaining as well. A bit predictable in spots, but not horrendously so. I actually called what was going to happen on a couple of occasions.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '15

I know what you mean Meister , I could barely keep from calling out one part to the entire theater it was so very obvious ! Surprised Ving Rhames is still doing these movies . Every time I see his Luther character I can't help but think of Danny Glover in the Lethal Weapon movies and his I'm getting too old for this s**t line ! Jeremy Renner had the best line with I can neither confirm nor deny blah blah blah . Some members of the media are calling Rebecca Ferguson the next Lauren Bacall , a bit much I think , but she was perfect for that role and I'd like to see her in more movies .

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Went to see Irrational Man at 8:00 on Saturday night. We were literally the only two people in the movie theater. That is something I've never experienced. After sitting though the movie I came to the conclusion people clearly made better choice then me for their evenings.

Denis Denis
Aug '15

I saw Surrogates in 2009 all by myself at AMC Rockaway during it's second week of release and enjoyed it . From several seating spots in fact . Very fun to move around to different seating locations when there is no one else to watch you . Top center still my favorite . Especially at AMC Rockaway where theater 8 (IMAX) and theater 1 top exit doors lead to a connecting balcony looking out over the entire lobby/parking lot with private bathroom and elevator . Not that I would use a single ticket to move around that googleplex to see multiple movies when all the kids working there go back to school in September and the place is empty . But yeah I used to .

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Looks like FF4 is racking up a mediocre FF4 out of 10 stars. Yeesh! Reviews are not kind for this one.

Fox has no idea what it's doing with these properties.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '15

Yeah normally I ignore critics, but even regular people are trashing it. This movie will be lucky to break even.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '15

Not a movie in the theaters , but the time travel movie on dvd Predestination is the ultimate mind bender of time travel paradoxes ever made . Makes Looper look mild by comparison . Based on a late 50s short story by sci-fi legend Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers) called All You Zombies , this movie will blow your mind out right your rectum !

http://themoviebox.net/5255

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

So, I only saw Jurassic World and the Avengers this year (and Jurassic Park was the last one I saw of the summer movies.) Therefore, I had some catching up to do:

- Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation - I liked it but it wasn't as good as Ghost Protocol. Rebecca Ferguson is HOT. She's going to be in the next one.

- Ant Man - it was alright. Very silly at points but in an entertaining way. Overall, just average.

- Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - overall, a good ending to the series but a little anti-climactic IMO. Tone was quite even throughout with not much buildup to the end. It's worth a watch for the casual viewer and obviously a must for those that watched the other parts.

- San Andreas - It's The Rock trying to save his daughter from an apocalyptic earthquake. It's not going to win an Oscar for the story or acting but it was a fun movie regardless.

Next up - STAR - FREAKIN' - WARS!!!!!! I did not pre-buy any tickets because I don't feel like watching it with a bunch of dorks with lightsabers being waved everywhere. Just hope I can watch it while my daughter is home from college.

Netflix - Jessica Jones - If you watched the Daredevil series (which was great), make sure to watch this. The story takes sometime to build up but it does get you hooked. Not as action packed as Daredevil but it's still worthwhile to watch it. It's actually mandatory viewing as JJ and Daredevil will team up in a forthcoming Defenders series.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '15

Actually went to see Rogue Nation twice . The Martian was good , but didn't have most of the funny one liners from the book or half the humor . Last theater movie I saw was Spectre while not as good as Rogue Nation it had a lot of throwbacks to the old Bond movies , the ejection seat , the train fight (with Dave Bautista in the Jaws super villian part) , the Aston Martin , but I'm getting a bit sick of Chistoph Waltz playing the villain in movies.

Next up is the Star Wars Movie , then probably the JLaw movie Joy in January . May or may not see The Big Short depending on reviews - trailer looks very good though . Just saw Furious 7 on blu ray and it was stupid entertaining . What else can you say about a movie that has the two antagonists drive cars head on into each other not once , but twice ! It just keeps on outdoing itself in crazy impossible physics defying stunts which made it laughably entertaining . And they even managed to give the late Paul Walker a touching goodbye .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgqG3ITMv1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN4MLMHET7w

Zombo Zombo
Dec '15

I dont know that it warrants a new thread but The Punisher, Season 2 on Netflix was friggin' AMAZING!!!!

ianimal ianimal
Jan '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.