Moes Southwest Grill?

Saw signs in the window next to Piggy's that Moes southwest grill is coming soon. Anyone familiar with this restaurant? How is the food? Is it healthy?

Painkiller Painkiller
Apr '15

here ya go

http://www.moes.com/

Kinda looks like a baja fresh

Brad2
Apr '15

Not as good as chipotle, but pretty good.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Apr '15

That makes me sad as that pretty much ends any chance of a Chipotle coming around. Hope Moes is decent.

ChipotleLover
Apr '15

YAY!!!!! Had their food once in RI and it was GREAT!
(PS, I too am a Chipotle/Qdoba lover...but this place was very good!)

Natalie Natalie
Apr '15

It's the same idea as Qdoba or Panchero's. It's an assembly line of choosing a tortilla, a filling, the fixings, and the salsa. Way better than Taco Smell, but still a production line that isn't exactly a home cooked meal.

I like Moe's. I'm glad to see them coming to the area. I always get freebie offers for the one in Denville or Branchburg, but don't get to them too often. Happy to see something different.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '15

Moe's has terribly small portions even compared to taco bell. The amount of meat they put in the product is shameful.

Nona
Apr '15

I hope this is true! Moe's is great!!

MommyinaGreenDress MommyinaGreenDress
Apr '15

is it going in the spot they are still excavating?

I know there was a Moe's not too far from my job on a busy stretch of Rt 46 in Parsippany. For whatever reason(s) it didn't last long and closed up. Never got the chance to try it.

http://parsippanyfocus.com/2014/04/01/moes-is-closed-auction-sale-on-thursday/

we have moes in NC they make pretty big good burritos

http://www.moes.com/food/menu/

nice fresh ingredients - we enjoy it

skippy skippy
Apr '15

Moes < Chipotle. There is one in Denville if you want to try it before it gets here.

It's more like Qdoba, but even closer to Taco Bell.

christography christography
Apr '15

Vic, the one on 46 moved to Denville.

I like Moe's. IMO it is comparable to Chipotle.

Looking at the website, it looks like a Mexican Subway to me.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

Hahhah pretty much what I was thinking Calico
Interesting concept though
Fresh food that sits in little trays all day

Yay, something new for everyone to complain about!

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Apr '15

I love Moe's. I frequent the one off Rt 22 in Branchburg/Raritan. I can't eat most things from there since I went gluten free. But what I can eat is their Ear Muffs-Burrito Bowl! I always think they are not putting enough stuff in my bowl, but I am stuffed after I eat it! lol I will definitely be hitting Moe's up, since I can't eat anything from Taco Bell.

My friend works at AT&T in that strip mall and confirmed it today! I'm so happy!!!!!!! I love Moe's!!!!!! Always fresh & delicious!

Sweetums Sweetums
Apr '15

Going into the empty Vision Center store. Still don't know what is going into the pad where the house was knocked down. Don't know if they sold/leased it yet.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Apr '15

I agree that Moe's < Chipotle. We have a couple of them near work. They have some decent specials. Quality is decent. There's just something about CMG that tastes better, IMO.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '15

I am pretty excited about this.........although I see a few extra lbs in my future because of it lol

At least in the one I used to frequent when I worked in Virginia, they yell "Welcome to Moe's!" to every single customer that comes in.

Love MOES! The one in Stroudsburg is terrific! So happy that one is coming to our area! "Welcome to Moe's!"

HHS fan HHS fan
Apr '15

Grrr, that's sad news. Was hoping for a Chic-fil-a. Lol

civilguy80 civilguy80
Apr '15

The spot they are excavating I believe is going to be a much needed bank! If you can't get the sarcasm then maybe you were hoping it was another drug store!

Painkiller Painkiller
Apr '15

Be sure to order the Flaming Moe .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOLZv7tluk

Zombo Zombo
Apr '15

Tried the Moe's in the Route 3 Clifton shopping mall and it was horrible. The first time I went, I thought maybe it was just a bad day so decided to try it again on another day. Same experience. The food was definitely not fresh - it looked and tasted like it had been sitting around awhile. I think that the food is sub-par especially if you've been used to Chipotle!

Chipotle still reigns supreme :)

Jules Jules
Apr '15

Yay!! I go to the one in Denville all the time by my work. I agree with Pennings. Not quite as good as Chipotle but still very good.

Moe's is all over the place down south. Better than Taco Bell!!! I would say it is more like Qdoba

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Apr '15

This is great news for you guys. While It's good to have a nice quality mexican restaurant, someitmes you just want something faster and still good. Moe's and Chipoltle definitely fit the bill.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Apr '15

When is it opening? I'll be there like 2-3 times a week! LOL... Love good Mexican food!

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Metsman - If you love "good" Mexican food, go to a Mexican restaurant, not a fast food place. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

Taco Bell is fast food. Not these places.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

What do you think a real Mexican restaurant does differently, exactly? Most Mexican food is just assembled to order, anyway, just like Moe's or Chipotle or Baja Fresh or QDoba.

Apr '15

Yeah unlike Taco Bell which has mystery meat and probably squeezes crap from tubes.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

IMO you cannot compare Chipotle, Qdoba etc. to an actual "sit down" restaurant. Those places fall between fast food chain restaurants and Ruby Tuesday type places. It's like comparing Boston Market to Larison's Turkey Farm or Sbarro to La Strada.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

I'd take Chipotle and the others over Don Jose burritos.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Now if I wanted a full dinner entree I'd go to Don Jose.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I'm talking about the food and its preparation and not the difference between sitting down to dine and getting something to eat. Yes, it is different to sit and be served and order alcohol with your food, or just getting a quick bite of Mexican food on a busy night. But the actual food prep, in my opinion, is not that different.

Apr '15

Do they do breakfast ?

There's a Moe's in Denville. Food is good, portions are fair. I've never felt ripped off, and it tastes fresh (considering it's not really a restaurant). I'd be happy to see a Moe's out this way

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Apr '15

Right Metsman. There is fast food (McDonalds, Burger King and the like), then there are restaurants with various degrees of quality (Mama's, Tap House, Prickly Pear, etc.). Then there are the in-between ones like Qdoba, Moes, and Panera Bread. It is a counter service like fast food but better quality in my opinion.

Natalie Natalie
Apr '15

Disappointed Moe's is not good. Chipotle would have been awesome!!!!!

lala1313 lala1313
Apr '15

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2015/04/moes_southwest_grill_coming_to.html#incart_river

Never heard of it.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

And speaking of Larsions They are putting in a drug store!!! No joke in Chester.

Patti Donaldson Patti Donaldson
Apr '15

I have been to Moe's in Branchburg/Somerville. It's okay for a once in a while. quick but sit down lunch. It never was a choice of mine. Coworkers liked it.

Can't imagine Piggies is too thrilled about another food joint going in there. Not a direct competitor but none the less another option in same strip mall.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '15

I used to pump gas at chester sunoco. Mr. Larison always used to come in with his long black cadillac. Never could remind myself those cars had fuel caps behind the spring loaded license plate.He was so proud of his farm and genuinely nice man.

marty mcfly marty mcfly
Apr '15

That what happens if you own a restaurant. They have to be dynamic to survive in addition to be able to absorb the higher than normal snow removal fees passed on to the tenants for the past two winters...

Any update on this place? When I googled Moe's the only thing I find is one in Denville. Nothing about Hackettstown coming soon.

hot under the collar
Jul '15

There's a sign up in the space saying "coming soon". I heard Fall time.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

Thanks Metsman. I will keep an eye out for their opening. The Moe's in Parsippany went out of business and I thought something happened to the whole chain. I remember when there was a Quizino's in every town now you can't find one.

hot under the collar
Jul '15

Anymore updates on when they are opening?

patiently waiting
Sep '15

I know someone who is setting up the interiors. The opening date is Nov 18th tentatively!

Jerseygirl Jerseygirl
Sep '15

There is an ad in the classifieds on here saying that they are hiring and will be opening in the next couple weeks.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/31903

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

Exciting, I am ready to try it out!

Natalie Natalie
Nov '15

Don't bother, just head to Chipotle. Just my opinion.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

Which Chipotle? Is there one close?

I'm excited for Moe's!

somechik somechik
Nov '15

the nearest Chipotle is Rockaway , so go for it and take an hour round trip drive for a burrito. I will go to Moes and be there and back in 5.

Oh, well in that case Moe's it is. I just assumed there's a Chipotle everywhere. My bad.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

IMO, Taco Bell is good for two things:

*Diarrhea and
*Satisfying hunger for those who are under the influence of mind altering substances.

IrishRN IrishRN
Nov '15

Jdem- what route are you taking to the rockaway mall? I get on 80 in allamuchy and I'm there in 20!

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

Ugh, still waiting for a really good Italian restaurant in town...

iluvsnow
Nov '15

iluvsnow~~~

That's probably never going to happen lol.
Check out Caffe NaVona on route 46 in Rockaway. You won't be disappointed. The food & service are excellent.

http://www.restaurantpassion.com/external_pages/nj/caffenavona14_mobile/mobile_index.html

IrishRN IrishRN
Nov '15

+1 for Caffe NaVona. Get the Sunday Sauce!

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

Sunday "Sauce"? Not "Gravy"?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

Tried Moe's in stroudsburg last month for the first time. I have a sensitive stomach but never had a problem with Chipotle. Sorry to say I can't eat at Moe's..... My wife loves mexican food and has a iron stomach..... she can't eat at Moe's either. The only time I have regretted having one bathroom during the renovation of the master bath.

youngen youngen
Nov '15

Just going by the menu ianimal. That can be a whole other thread. The whole gravy / gobbagole crowd can have it out.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

LOL, agreed. I've just never seen it called "Sunday Sauce" on a menu... it's always "Sunday Gravy"... usually with the word "Nonna's" in front of it (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

Caffe NaVona, nice place you might even run into iJay...

Bit of a drive from Hackettspatch, but if you're looking for good Italian try Focacceria in Basking Ridge. Some of the best around. Delicious homemade pasta.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

Meister, it's Liberty Corner to be exact. And it's delicious. Darling outside patio for al fresco dining too.

Nov '15

Yes, it is Tracy. Most people would know Basking Ridge, so that's why I said it. Al fresco dining is done for the season, unfortunately.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

@1988LJ if you're on the other side of the tracks in Mansfield or in Hackettstown, add on 10-15 extra minutes to get to 80 and you have your hour round trip. Allamuchy is def much closer. Even 20 mins each way is too far for a take out burrito unless you pass through there anyway on your way home from work.

somechik somechik
Nov '15

Just got a FB notice& coupon that grand opening will be November 19th & I can get a free burrito!!

H -town Mama H -town Mama
Nov '15

Truck was out front this morning delivering food!!!!!! MMMMM burrito and queso!!!!

I'll be as happy as anyone else to get a free burrito. But compared to Ashley's, Emma's, Rico Pan, or Fruitmex, the Chipotle/Moes/Pancho/Qdoba/etc aren't that great and aren't cheaper either.

Had a company sponsored lunch at Foccaceria. FWIW, GPS lists it as in Basking Ridge.

Food was good albeit quite small portions. I hope dinner parking is less of a hassle than lunch parking.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Gotta agree GC - We eat at Ashley's often. Awesome food, fresh. My wife is PR and she speaks the lingo so we know what we are getting. Nothing fancy but killer good. Nice portions at a great price.

waterslideguy waterslideguy
Nov '15

Emaxx, yes it is Basking Ridge, in the Liberty Corner section of town (as opposed to the center of town area). I spent my formative years right across the street at the elementary school.

Nov '15

Liberty Corner isn't part of Basking Ridge; they are both unincorporated communities within Bernards Township... kind of like the Budd Lake and Flanders sections of Mount Olive.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

Yes, you are correct, ianimal. I misspoke. My brain isn't always functioning at capacity these days with two tiny human wearing me down.

Nov '15

I hear you loud and clear, Tracy. Luckily for us, we get two nights of "adult time" this weekend. My parents watched the kids last night so we could attend the Hunterdon Medical Center's Crystal Ball Gala at the Ryland Inn and her mom is watching them tonight so we can go to Emeril's Chop House for my birthday. An embarrassment of riches to be sure, but it will all be a distant memory by Thursday, I'm equally sure (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

One potential problem at Moe's is a lot of open "buffet' like ingredients and then the sauce bar. So if low traffic or bad rotation habits, there's a chance of some spoilage. I have cast iron except for salad; if someone even says the word brown, I am off to the races. But if Moes doesn't rotate those sauce spoons, a bit of leftover spoiled tomato will certainly put you in a tailspin.

Last Moes I had was in FLA and it was good for the price.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '15

You thought Focacceria had small portions, emaxx? Guess it depends on what you get. My usual is the black linguine with shrimp fra diavolo. I always take some home. And if you're ever there when they have their pasta with lobster, shrimp, and clam in a spicy tomato broth special.....get it. Forget what it's called. It's one of my favorites.

Parking is a challenge sometimes, although I think less so at dinner because the businesses that it shares a parking lot with are done for the day.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

Well, I'm a big eater but it's probably the fact that it was a lunch portion. That black linguine sounds amazing. The other dish sounds like zuppe did pesce...my favorite pasta dish.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Soft opening today. I stopped in for lunch and my lunch (1entree and a soda) was free. It was very good and am looking forward to going back. I believe that they open for business tomorrow at 11.

angelina angelina
Nov '15

We had dinner tonight and it was all free. Now thats good opening day prices!!!!!

Kids bugged me to go. The roof is leaking dirty water from the roof into the food. We walked out.

Hot under the collar
Nov '15

We had this last night and it was pretty good! Though the chips were stale... which I don't understand how that can happen already?

Buuuut I like having a quick take out "mexican" option other than Taco Bell.

somechik somechik
Nov '15

I was not personally invited to the soft opening so therefore I will never go there.

darwin darwin
Nov '15

Line is out the door 7:17. I'll wait.

angelina angelina
Nov '15

Lol Darwin. I thought the same thing when I saw soft opening.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Wow. How do you get a personal invite to a
new place that opens up? That's a reason not to go ???

Darwin was making a joke. A previous thread had a poster complain about never going to a place because they weren't made aware of the soft opening. The discussion was quite humorous and has now become a running joke.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Is the leaky roof thing really true? Thats hard to believe.

SO disappointed in Moe's. Chewy steak, dry, and absolutely flavorless. I couldn't even detect salt. Whats the idea of wrapping it up into a bomb you can't even get your mouth around? I been making steak fajitas for 15 yrs at home, and my steak blows their offering away. Hows that possible? I'm not a chain restaurant!! I guess I just understand how to marinate and cook steak in the Mexican tradition (I am Polish). Eight dollars for an inedible bomb of garbage, and the lettuce had that strange sugar water, 5lb industrial bag flavor. One shining star, hot queso for chips. Expensive, but delicious. I need my Chipotle, this garbage doesn't even come close.

Chipotle? Dont you get the Norovirus if you eat there?

sack
Dec '15

Wow Adam, tell us how you really feel. Lol.

Hot under the collar
Dec '15

Just curious Adam what did you expect from a 7 dollar lunch.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '15

Don't post that review on yelp !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlR_ccnZww

Zombo Zombo
Dec '15

No, sack, worse. E. Coli. Yum.

Adam, if you read the menu, there are other options besides "wrapping it up into a bomb you can't get your mouth around". By the way, is that somehow different than the burrito you get at Chipotle?

Tracy Tracy
Dec '15

actually size wise I find the burrito smaller than chipotle and quadoba. Still more then filling. I never get steak at any of these places, i just find steak something I like fresh not sitting in a hot table . Chicken just does not get rubber like steak sitting.

Ooooh. I dont want E. Coli, therefore I shouldn't eat at Chipotle.

sack
Dec '15

http://www.moes.com/bogo

10x better than Chipotle!!

moving gal moving gal
Jan '16

I've been to this Moe's twice and I think the Chipotle in Rockaway is better.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '16

I recently tried the Moes in town and thought it was very tasty. I like Qdoba best but I liked Moes better than Chipotle.

Moe's is the best! and much better than Chipotle IMO

Casey13 Casey13
Jan '16

Moes is offering a free burrito coupon if you download their app.

Download the Moe's Rockin' Rewards App for Free
iOS
Android
Open the App and create a new account for Free
On the News & Offers menu selection, a Free Burrito coupon will be available for redemption
Redeem this offer only at participation locations
Note, offer expires seven days from joining Moe's Rockin' Rewards

not sack
Jun '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.