Dishwasher installation

Hey all,

I just bought a Bosch 800 series dishwasher from lowes and it should arrive in 6-10 days. Lowes offers free delivery and haul away but the installation is extra. How much extra? To my surprise, $189. This got me thinking, that maybe there is more to this than I originally thought. o know it's hard-wired, as opposed to plug and play. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

ThatsmeDC
Apr '15

I did it myself. But the real key is what's there already. If there is already a junction box that may even have the plug in waiting then that's something anyone can do. The water hook up is generally just a compression joint you just screw right in. But either line isn't there already, you're going to want a plumber or electrician.

Try YouTube. It's not that hard to wire a dishwasher. Should be pretty straightforward. Wire gets hooked up at the front of the unit, so you have to make sure there is enough to land it there.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '15

I'd suggest a plug, not hard wire. If you ever need to pull it out (repair, cleaning, cabinet work) it's easy to just unplug it without worrying about installing separate switches or turning off the circuit.

The water feeds/drain aren't complicated. It can be a DIY job for a handy person or a very quick job for a professional plumber (assuming it's right next to the sink).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Thanks guys. We currently have a 20 year old dishwasher that we're replacing so the lines are there. There is no plug however, it's hard wired. I think I'll give it a shot and if worse come to worst, I think the $189 could hire someone to clean up my mess :-).

ThatsmeDC
Apr '15

You can buy a metal one-gang outlet box and cover, and a wire clamp to put in one of the box's knockouts, and a single outlet, all for a couple of bucks (the electrician at Home Depot can help you find what you need). You can then just run the wire to the outlet in the box and leave the box lying under the dishwasher, if it's too much trouble to mount it. If you don't know how to wire an outlet, I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos and other online instructions.

You also need to check the type of water line and where/how it connects. Some old ones are hard lines with not much room to move them to the intake on a new washer and/or have different fittings. Depending on your setup, it might be easier to run a new line.

The drain line usually isn't too bad--unless your old one is something really non-standard.

Other than that, follow the instructions, and you'll probably have few problems--it basically just screws into place.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Apr '15

I have installed many dishwashers in past 15 years. I work as a handyman/contractor/mechanic. if replacing a older unit and if you are local and would rather donate 100.00 to Wounded Warriors fund or NJSPCA I will gladly install for free. I live in PV.
Chris Monaco

chris monaco chris monaco
Apr '15

Good man Chris. I replaced myself a year or two ago. Older unit was almost 20 yrs old. Only problem was water supply line. Old one was copper and different size as hookup on new dishwasher. Lowe's had a universal kit with different fittings to hook up a flexible braided supply line to hot water line under sink. Hard wiring was simple. Just make sure you turn off breaker!!!

Bruin Bruin
Apr '15

Damn. Dishwasher just quit. No power. Really don't want to be shelling out for a new one, especially since it's a pretty good and quiet one (KitchenAid). Hope it's a simple fix. Repairman will be out this week.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '15

Weird, my 20+ year dishwasher died this week too. No idea what I'm going to find behind there electric wise. Hopefully the original owners did the right thing. Underneath in basement there are two junction boxes, one live, one terminated. Not sure what that's about.

Schmedley Wilcox Schmedley Wilcox
Apr '15

Meister- either one of the wire connections in the box behind the kickplate came loose, or the 'fuse' clipped to the side of the control board blew.

The part is cheap to buy online, but if you are calling a service expect the total bill to end up around $150-200.

Yeah, I should try that. I'll take a look tonight. Thanks Josh.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.