2015 Spring Flower Pictures

2015 Spring Flower Pictures

I can't imagine some of the snow haters aren't ready for this one. ;-)

60+ degrees does bring them out...

Unfortunately it also brings out the munchers. I have tulip tops already feeding the wildlife!!! Better run quick over to the cbel garden and see what we can do this year.

dang - no flowers here yet - thanks for showing yours, GC

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Re: 2015 Spring Flower Pictures

White lake in Hardwick. Spring peepers and pussy willow. Ice melting. Beautiful day

A good day
Apr '15

Was a nice surprise to find these guys in bloom in the sunny corner of the garden last weekend.

Grascal
Apr '15

What, no one else has anything starting to bloom? By now I've got hyacinth out.

And the daffodils have been out since Friday, and I know lots of others around have a full compliment in bloom.

Now if that stinking rotten horrible deer that left a pile of white fur when it jumped the fence and smacked its rear would only stay out of the yard, I may get tulips that actually bloom.

Im a snow hater and loving these pics. Having trouble loading my pic. Will try again later.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

I'll take one:) The rest will follow:) After daffodils, forsythia is my favorite sign of spring:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '15

More of the beauty of crocuses....

Grascal
Apr '15

I would think the tulips are what the bees would instantly gravitate to - but not today. A whole bunch of bees are all fighting over the bleeding heart.

Thanks Joyful!! This is right next to what has become a whole grove of poppies in the "Joyful" corner of the garden.

One of my tulips not letting a chair get in it's way.

jrsemom jrsemom
May '15

We have some trees starting to bloom this week. Lilac.

hktownie hktownie
May '15

Pansy redbud

hktownie hktownie
May '15

Pear

hktownie hktownie
May '15

And dogwood. Next week its getting warmer, should be one of the prettiest weeks of spring!

hktownie hktownie
May '15

Just wondering how everyone's butterfly bushes are looking so far. Mine are starting to show a little sign of life.

A random tree over at Riverfront Park. Sorry but I'm no good with ID.

AXD- White Cherry tree flower is my guess.

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '15

Very, very, very thankful to the Jeep Girl who exchanged this tree years ago. Can't believe it's finally not only gotten healthy, it's putting up real flowers and not just some buds lucky to open half way.

This was on the ground crying to me this morning - "don't for get me, don't forget me, don't forget me!!!".

Somehow the last two years I hardly saw any. Now this year they're all over??? How does this happen?

A beautiful Azalea at Joyful's house.

jennymc jennymc
May '15

In my front yard last week -

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

Just a couple from a little bit ago........the first flowers to pop up. Was thrilled to finally see color......other then white. ;)

littlelu littlelu
May '15

And one more.........

littlelu littlelu
May '15

Pop!!

More and more things are going to start blooming now. The columbines have opened up, and irises are right there, in probably a day or two at most for me. Amsonia is not far behind, and the baptisia is probably less than a week away.

Those mini-irises do seem to come up early littlelu.

I predict a banner year for clematis.

You got poppies blooming before me, GC...How did that happen?

joyful joyful
May '15

So when is the garden tour, GC?

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

Joyful - Thanks as always because they came from you originally. Chickadee has help me fill them in too. How mine opened first, I have no idea. It was just a very happy accident this morning. I went out for something else not thinking about it at all. And there it was.

5catmom - I've hosted the plant exchange in the past but in all seriousness, the yard isn't all that big for a grand "tour". I'll keep posting pictures though. ;-)

Started planting, still have a ways to go!

Here is an anemone from my yard.

The rain was much needed. The irises were out some, but now they are in full force including these light blue ones that actually have some scent to them unlike many others.

If you can, go to the cbel garden and catch the yellow irises provided by Hopeful In Hackettstown.

Amsonia is half out, and the baptisia is not threatening after the rain. Pictures in full bloom are probably only a week away.

Noticed I have two of the multitude of poppies yet to bloom out today too!!

joyful joyful
May '15

The wild Phlox are blooming along the edge of the road and woods - What a beautiful color.

jennymc jennymc
May '15

I saw beautiful purple flowers high in the trees at the edge of the woods - Is it a form of Wisteria? The vine grew very high and spread along the tree tops.

jennymc jennymc
May '15

at Leonard Buck Gardens today

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

May 17

A good day
May '15

Years ago I bought this "dead" plant on clearance from lowes...here it is about 3 years later. Can someone please tell me what it is

Diane12 Diane12
May '15

Diane12 - Is it very short and spreading out like a ground cover? Creeping phlox. It blooms in the spring, not later in the summer like the other kind of tall phlox. Mine seems to alternate years of whether it's all over or practically dormant. This year is a better year for it.

Diane12: I think it might be creeping phlox. I, too, like to 'rescue' plants from the clearance racks at Lowes and Home Depot; some live other don't but it's sure worth the try!

Decades ago someone who lived on our property did some amazing landscaping and planting. We are still today reaping the beauty of her work.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

Thank you thank you so much. It is short and creeping. I love when it first blooms and it's a pretty periwinkle. It has taken over a mulch bed but it's the easiest thing that I've ever planted. I was at mt olive lowes last Monday and bought a bunch of $1 dead flowers on clearance that I planted once home and all but 1 have bloomed.... Love this time of the year

Diane12 Diane12
May '15

Joyful's poppies have popped! What a beautiful color!

jennymc jennymc
May '15

A close up of the poppy - lovely

jennymc jennymc
May '15

Thanks for taking the poppy pictures, jennymc...the Rose of Sharon Bush in the middle of the poppy flower bed, however, needs to go!

joyful joyful
May '15

Diane and GC, we call ours Mountain Pink

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

3wbdwnj - Mountain Pinks are usually what you call a perennial form of dianthus, the same species as carnations and sweet william which is annual. They're low to the ground too, but a different plant. Does yours look like this? This is what I've heard called "Mountain Pinks" and comes in quite a few different colors. Mine has started to bloom but I was waiting until it all opened before putting out a picture.

No they do not look like those but I have seen those. Will post a pic later when I leave The Pit. :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

P.S. If anyone would like that lonely little Rose of Sharon Bush in the middle of a poppy patch...Please let me know and it's yours.
Also have loads of packasandra (sp;)...great ground cover if anyone needs some...

joyful joyful
May '15

Mountain Pink?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

3wbdwnj - Definitely what I call creeping phlox. But it's what it is, and a name is just a name no matter how sweet despite where the skunk pees. (sic)

Did I really just say that??

[Due apologies to Mr. Shakespeare]

My dark burgundy irises are out... (he says, clearly changing the subject)

Burgundy iris

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

Peach iris

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

speaking of Iris - it's starting prime season at the Presby Iris Gardens in Montclair
http://presbyirisgardens.org/wordpress/

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

Still waiting for my Iris to open. A little sunshine would help!

My clematis!

That gorgeous, Iris! Don't think I've ever seen it in that color!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

TY! My favorite color In flowers!

Columbine (self-sown)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

Beautiful poppies at Joyful's house.

jennymc jennymc
May '15

Thanks again, Jennymc, for posting the bed of poppies They are exceptionally beautiful this year and just in time for Memorial Day!

joyful joyful
May '15

My iris are doing really well around my porch.

ladeevee ladeevee
May '15

Here's another variety in the same zone. The third one I have is slow to open this year.

ladeevee ladeevee
May '15

I've finally bloomed! !

My amsonia (blue star) has been slowly opening stem by stem and is finally full enough for a picture.

Does anyone know if this is a weed or a plant?

The baptisia is a good 4 feet plus again, but doesn't quite match the 5 feet from last year. This probably will get even fuller in bloom over the coming week or two. The winter was so harsh on the butterfly bush next to it that it's not even a contest at the moment of which one will be taller.

Is it me, or is it pretty well summer?? I'm already seeing buds on the coreopsis (broad leaf kind, not thread leaf), two different salvia are beyond buds and almost opening, and even some butterfly weed looks like it might be budding. Balloon flower and heliopsis are well ahead of schedule.

GC, how wide does baptista get? Mine is on its second year and still pretty small. Its only one plant but I hope where I've put it isnt too small!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

3wbdwnj - I have a particularly tall variety called "purple smoke". It's supposed to get about 4' tall which is big for baptisia by itself, but mine is extra big. I tie it up so it doesn't flop over. If it did, it may well be 4'. Tied up, about 2 1/2' or so.

Other kinds of baptisia that are the normal 2' or 3' tall probably are not that wide. If yours isn't the purple smoke then it may well be the size it's supposed to get in the second year. A neighbor a few houses over has a yellow one that's about 2' tall and it's maybe a foot wide. Quite a contrast in size to mine.

Thanks for the info, GC. I'm not sure what variety I have as I picked it up at the MWA last Spring when they sold their perennial divisions. The tag was lost so hoping it doesnt get too big. I'll post a pic soon.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

Iris ,It looks like rhubarb. The stalks are edible and have a sour taste but the leaves are poisonous. You can make a rhubarb pie!

janster janster
May '15

Janster..I know I didn't plant rhubarb there, I know better 'cus once you plant it, you never get rid of it! I LOVE strawberry rhubarb pie, my favorite!

I transplanted mint to my yard and it is thriving. Has anyone else done that?

A good day
May '15

Yes... and mint can spread quickly.. so be prepared. Speaking of mint. Someone mentioned Pineapple Mint for tea...has anyone grown it or used it for tea and your thoughts?

Grascal
May '15

Thanks Grascal. I would be interested in mint drying technique that people have used. I can look up myself but if someone has a good method let us know.

A good day
May '15

We plant pineapple sage every year. We love it because it smells so good and it flowers late October! GC: here is a pic of my Baptistlia.

Mint will not only spread, it will push other things out and take over like a ground cover. It's also tough to get rid of if you don't want it any more. Good to grow in a container though.

iris - I was thinking rhubarb as well but wasn't sure based on what looks to be pretty darn big leaves. There is a whole family of tropical plants with similar leaves, but I can't imagine them wintering over last year even if it escaped from an indoor pot.

Your baptisia looks more like what I think most varieties are like for their size.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, are we totally sure it's not summer? It may be a bit sheepish and looking a bit dry, but here is the very first firecracker red day lily to bloom.

Go ahead Iris just taste it!

janster janster
May '15

Here is my Baptista -->

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

3wbdwnj - "baptisia". That definitely looks like the regular kind, not my giant variety. I wouldn't worry about it out growing that spot.

You're not only blooming iris, you're multi-colored. ;-)

Plus a big big thank you yet again to Hopeful in Hackettstown for this yellow one. Also nicely blooming over at cbel's garden.

Last pic of the day, the cranes bill geranium is now out.

Are we 100% without a doubt and clearly absolutely positively sure beyond question that it's not summer yet? The stinking mercury is telling a whole different story. :-(((

Joyful...one of your poppies you gave me 2-3 years ago!

Iris - congratulations, poppies are not easy to transplant. At this point, mine are all almost nearly faded until next year.

Iris...you made my day to see your Poppies survived. If you will recall, at the time you transplanted them we did not know if they would...

joyful joyful
May '15

I've seen a lot of other people's salvia in full bloom. This one of mine is finally at a point to take a picture.

Today after all the heat of the past couple of days I'm seeing penstemon just opening today, butterfly weed that has gone from buds to orange colored buds probably opening in 2-3 days, and both kinds of coreopsis with buds some looking like they may open in no less than a week.

All that early yet I've got peonies not open while there are loads of them in town that have been open a couple of weeks. How does that happen?

What are these?

mohepinoke mohepinoke
May '15

Mohepinoke, it's called daisy fleabane.

At last one of my peonies has bloomed !

That's a beautiful Peony, Iris - It looks like a double petaled Peony. I saw a Peony bud last night and was surprised to see it had opened today. This Peony plant is by Joyful's house.

jennymc jennymc
May '15

"Fleabane" - I'm not a fan to say the least. Some call that just a wild flower, I call it weed and treat it accordingly. I've received that mixed in with other plants I transplanted and was not amused. ;-)

iris - Still waiting on mine. However, it looks like my fox glove is really close to opening and that blanket flower is going to be any day. While one or two things are on time or even late, everything else is well ahead of schedule.

Don't know what this is called but I love them.

littlelu littlelu
Jun '15

These just popped out within the last day or so.

littlelu littlelu
Jun '15

littlelu - It would be easier to tell for sure by looking at the flowers and leaves closer up. But I think it might be a white version of the cranes bill geranium. I posted a picture above of the blue one I have. The veins in the flowers would be a clear sign that's what it is.

littlelu: Looks like your peonies are about the same color as mine and blooming about the same time as well. That color pink is so pretty. Thanks again to Jennymc for posting pictures of my plants and flowers on HL.

joyful joyful
Jun '15

Now I wish my peonies didn't open yet; the rain has beaten them down... ; €

Iris, that plant above with the large leaves looks more like burdock to me than rhubarb.
If you keep it may form little round burs that stick to everything... then you'll know.
http://www.ediblewildfood.com/burdock.aspx

We love rhubarb too, my mother in law grows it. I have great recipes for rhubarb squares and strawberry rhubarb pie if anyone would like them.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '15

My balcony flowers.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
Jun '15

Very pretty Mindy's Mom. I would show mine but who wants to see dead flowers.
UGH!!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '15

One of our flower beds....love this time of year :) Planting is my favorite!

catlover1 catlover1
Jun '15

What a cute idea, Mindy's Mom! Your balcony looks very "Springy"...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

hktownie: thanks for investigating this weed. I hate those velcro balls, my dog, Sophie, is always getting them stuck in her long fur! I would love those recipes too!

joyful,
do you have anymore packasandra you want to get rid of?

shady shady
Jun '15

Sorry to add recipes to a flower thread!

This is the link to the pie recipe we love-
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/strawberry-rhubarb-pie-recipe

And here are the rhubarb squares, this came from my mothers recipe box so I don't know the original source.

Rhubarb Squares
Set oven to 350
Crust:
1 c flour
1/3 c confectioners sugar
1/3 c butter
Filling:
1 c sugar
1/4 c flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3 c finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (about 1 pound)

For crust, combine flour and conf sugar in a bowl, cut in butter. Press into bottom of 11x7x2 inch pan to form crust, not too hard since you will want to get it out again. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
For filling, combine sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla, stir in diced rhubarb. Pour over warm crust, bake at 350 for 35-40 min longer until wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve with ice cream. Can also serve with strawberries if they are in season.
Yield 16 squares
Store in refrigerator

hktownie hktownie
Jun '15

With the off again, on again rain the peony *finally* decided to open after taking its good old time...

Many other things are now out, a few coreopsis just not enough for a good picture, penstemon, and I really think it must be summer already with lavender. But I got a very pleasant surprise when this showed up.

I had planted it two years ago, didn't flower the first year and didn't see it the second. I thought it was gone. But hold and below, all of a sudden today this tall plant has several stalks, more buds, and this one is wide open. It's maltese cross.

GC thanks for the info on my flower. I will get a close up tomorrow and post it. I think it is just like your blue one, just white.

littlelu littlelu
Jun '15

My Orange Roses are just bursting.

littlelu littlelu
Jun '15

Shady ...you have mail...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

littlelu - Peachy. There's a house across the corner from me that has several roses just starting to come out. Too much work for me, they need constant clipping and trimming and watering and watching for insects and spraying for fungus and, and, and ...

If you want another picture to compare the white flower, have a look at this and see if it's similar.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/images/products2/PL/20/00/00/43/PL2000004399_card_lg.jpg

In the meantime, here's what the penstemon looks like.

Tomorrow is a great day for gardening - Donaldson's "Perennialfest" 10-6 and Well Spring's Open House 9-5. Celestine's Food Truck at Donaldson's. Cooking Thai with Jay from Pandan/Topo at Well Sweep

Here is the current state of the foxglove.

Joyful, I want to thank you for all the packasandra. here is a before picture of the area. I'll post a picture tomorrow after I finish planting. Thanks again!

shady shady
Jun '15

You are very welcome, Shady....so nice to meet you. Does not look as if you picture came through this morning of the before area, but will be anxious to see how the area looks after you finish...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

First roses of the year

Mariann Mariann
Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.