Why was Warren County SPCA on Russling Rd?

there were 3 warren county spca cars on russling road in hackettstown tonight does anyone know why?

I have heard a few helicopters flying that way as well.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '15

I heard a police call on the scanner for lose pigs on Fieldcrest. Around 5:30 Pm April 1

Is there any updates on this ? Saw a lot of police activity.

pitbullover4ever pitbullover4ever
Apr '15

Not 100% sure but doesn't the Animal Control officer live on Russling rd?

dadof2
Apr '15

saw something on news 12 nj this morn but left before they showed story

Any status on this?

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

From facebook NJSPCA Update : Major case involving a large number of livestock is ongoing in Warren County, NJ. over the last several days. Two properties with numerous deceased livestock animals. NJSPCA and Dept of AG working together to determine the cause of death. This is a major case and we will provide updates in the next few days. Horrific undertaking at two different locations that will not soon be forgotten by any of our Officers on scene. Will post updates as we can over the weekend when I can. I am stunned by the deaths involved with this case and again will post updates as they become available. Please give us a few days to process this and try and understand that we are overwhelmed at this time. Capt Yocum

russ25
Apr '15

Sounds like a truly awful situation for the animals and the agents sent in to try to help. Sending positive energy to the rescuers at the SPCA and Agriculture Dept., and mentally thanking them for the work they do to help animals, which must sometimes be terribly difficult and disheartening.

I am very familiar with Russling Rd., but can't imagine where this would be, though. I don't recall seeing livestock along Russling. If it does turn out to be the correct road, I will be feeling guilty for never noticing anything, as I travel this road every day. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '15

I leased a sport horse from a person that use to live back there. I hope to God it is not this place although they moved some time ago..was a fairly nice place in a very heavily wooded area....What a shame.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Is this what that call was about with the pigs the other. Did news 12 contact Tim Norton the animal control officer about it.

Where on Russling was this?

cb750 cb750
Apr '15

Here's another horror story - and animal lovers have been trying on and off for years to get something done about it - apparently there may finally be some action: https://youtu.be/7a8Wzt0dZvY?list=PLnZ8LE6IJseV08o-Kld70VQ0L5Sm_OyjK

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

where is russling road?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '15

I saw that vid on FB many times and It takes dead horses and other animals to get the ball rolling. Unacceptable. Where was the NJ SPCA on that case?

There was an investigation done by the State of NJ on the NJ SPCA back in 2000..I read it and I must say it is an eye opener.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

The NJSPCA is currently investigating the video that was posted in oak ridge. Very very sad case.

Any updates on Russling Road

Summer Summer
Apr '15

I thought it was the monkey research farm on Mount Bethel Road.

Toms
Apr '15

Interesting, not a peep from the NJ SPCA on this "horrific case".

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

or the one in Oak Ridge- which people have been reporting for years...................

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

from the Barnyard Sanctuary's facebook post just now: HELP US SAVE THESE BABIES! 4-6-15
The Barnyard Sanctuary in Columbia, NJ (Warren Co)

At 915pm Wednesday night, we received a call to respond to a SPCA emergency for some baby animals in need. From Wednesday night through Friday night, we took in 136 animals and still have more to go.

Because this is an ongoing investigation, we are forbidden to discuss any of the details at this time. Many of the animals we took in are babies less than a week old and very sick. The pigs have mange and upper respiratory. The baby goats and calf were pulled from their moms without receiving colostrum or milk for the first 3 days of their lives, making them very susceptible to illnesses. We have already lost 3 of the animals, as they were just too far gone.

We are asking the public to help us by making a contribution of any size, to help with the vet bills and feed. We have been working 'til 7-8 pm every day to get them all situated and stabilized. The vet has been out twice already and we have a baby goat (Ansel-the black Lamancha) currently in the hospital. As soon as some of the animals running loose can be caught, the list will grow.

Here are a few pictures of some of the animals we took. If there is anyone out there with room for farm hogs, there are still a few that need to be moved out.

Donations can be made via PayPal from our website www.barnyardsanctuary.org, or by mailing a check to The Barnyard Sanctuary, PO Box 167, Blairstown, NJ 07825. Thank you to everyone who has already donated, as this is what makes it possible for us to do what we do.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

BD - it runs from Mt Bethel Road in Mansfield down to Best Fruit Farm/Rt 46.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

WRNJ just reported what was on NJ SPCA's Facebook Page. Still NO details..about this "Horrific" Warren County case? I have had several PM's from very concerned people that have farms in Warren Cty and they also wonder what is going on?

Barnyard Sanctuary are these the animals involved in this "Horrific" case Captain Yocum was talking about?

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Barnyard Sanctuary does such great work!

Re: the SPCA posting - I think they should have either toned down the facebook post or have been prepared to provide details.

I just donated. I wish I could give more but every little bit helps. Thank you to Barnyard Sanctuary for doing all you can.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '15

SMH when it comes to the NJ SPCA!!!! Seems everything is hush hush on details but now it is donate donate donate.

They are a 501c3 charity and are obligated to answer questions from the public.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Pampurr - you are wrong - if there is an investigation, information can and will be withheld- things have to make their way through the legal process - which is rather more important than satisfying our curiosity - And any rescues that take the animals from an investigated situation are instructed to keep silent or they might jeopardize the case.
I'm sure you don't want that to happen.

I am very glad we have places like the Barnyard Sanctuary to care for animals in need.
There is no government funding and they rely on donations.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

The Barnyard Sanctuary is asking for the donations not the NJSPCA. If you want to help, then you should donate to Barnyard Sanctuary.

This is an ongoing investigation and that is why the NJSPCA is not giving details at this time. People posting information all over the internet regarding this, prior to NJSPCA making a statement, only compromises the investigation and any resulting court cases.

SMH, exactly, in what way, will the gory details help anyone or anything?

No, I do not work for the NJSPCA but have dealt with them and have found them to be trustworthy.

I have had a good experience with Barnyard Sanctuary. She took my show birds White Silkie Roos along with my donation to feed them because I could not take care of them and I don't need two roosters......its the NJ SPCA I have issues with along with many other animal advocates. The Oak Ridge case..broke my heart to see those dead horses.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

The property in question is on the left going west on Russling Road, just past the Highlands development.

The house sits back from the road in the woods and is a white masonry construction.

I noticed pig(s) in the fenced area a couple of years ago when the current residents moved in. I did not know there were other animals in that location.

Property did not appear to be well kept as they had a pick up in the woods for months.

Reynolds
Apr '15

136 animals?!?!!!!! My god! I'm going to guess the number of animals at the location may be higher if they found dead ones too. Hope these people get the book thrown at them.

villani villani
Apr '15

The Barnyard Sanctuary has been asked by the SPCA not to talk about the case we took in, nor disclose the location of where they came from, until the case is heard. They do not want to give them any chance of having it be dismissed. We did take in over 130 animals and there are still 40-50 still to be picked up. The best way you can all help is to keep all this info close to the vest, and help us with the expenses, if you can. Once the case is heard and there is a conviction (we hope), then we can disclose all info. Horrific is not a strong enough word. We have posted pictures of some of the animals on our Facebook page 'The Barnyard Sanctuary'. Thank you all for caring. Tamala

Barnyard Sanctuary Barnyard Sanctuary
Apr '15

It looks like the Barnyard Sanctuary needs homes for a few of the animals:

https://www.facebook.com/TheBarnyardSanctuary ...."The Barnyard Sanctuary: Thank you Noelle! Right now we need homes for 3 big farm pigs and 6 pot bellies."

I give the ASPCA a lot of credit for having one of the most heart wrenching jobs. Abuse to animals (that we consider food), happens all the time. Especially on factory farms. I wish people would think about the daily assault on these animals. How do you think the animals (livestock) were treated, while they were alive and when they were slaughtered. Something we should think about.

LK

Lets keep the PETA Bulls@#t out of this.

Reynolds
Apr '15

The reality of how animals are treated has nothing to do with an organization. It's one of those things no one wants to take an honest look at.

If everyone that posts on this forum or just reads it could donate just a few dollars to the barn yard sanctuary to help them care for these poor animals,I'm sure it would be a tremendous help to Tamala. I'm not working but I know I can spare a few bucks I would otherwise spend on something I really don't need!! Will you accept the challenge?? Every dollar counts.

molly
Apr '15

LK ~ being in this industry I not only think about how animals are treated, raised, and slaughtered it is my job to know about it. While I don't think this is the place to debate this issue, I will say that as consumers are becoming more vocal about the humane treatment of animals RAISED FOR FOOD, more and more programs are being put into place.

The Farm Check program. the BQA program and though voluntary, most states have a program in place. Dr. Temple Grandin, a leading expert and renowned animal science Professor at Colorado State University helped Cargill (another major player in the industry) develop their animal handling program. No one will deny that there have been cases of abuse, but as an industry we are working to educate, train and hopefully overcome the mistakes that have been made in the past. But before we start throwing out blanket statements such as the Factory Farms abuse animals, lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. The video posted above is about a Petting Zoo Farm, where parents pay to have their children's birthday parties, NOT A FOOD FARM. I can not speculate as to the farm on Russling Road, as I don't know the facts, but I would venture to guess not a inspected food facility.

What's even worse, there are 30 plus comments to this post and the Missing Girl thread has 1 comment. Something really wrong with this picture when we are more concerned about some farm animals then a Missing Person..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '15

Just a question. Since the NJ ASPCA asked the Barnyard Sanctuary to take these animals in and help, shouldn't they also be responsible for giving them money? I'm not sure if aspca is only run on donations but I would hope that they would give money.

villani villani
Apr '15

@JrzyGirl88, my interpretation from the article about the missing girl is that she is a run away, if that's possible at the age of 24. With saying her destination unknown and carrying two duffle bags, it seemed to me like she took off and was not abducted. This is just how I understand it. I could be wrong.

villani villani
Apr '15

Have you made a donation yet? I just did..............We have to help them help the animals

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

I did. This is an unusual problem.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '15

sending what i can today. bless you Barnyard Sanctuary.

Dansker Dansker
Apr '15

@Villani from the NJSPCA website "The NJSPCA is funded solely by donations, grants, bequests and fines levied. It receives no government funding or tax dollars". Also I can't speak as to the circumstances of the young woman, just think it is sad that her situation hasn't gotten as much response as the barnyard animals. Maybe your right in your assessment of the situation, but what IF your not..

@5catmom yes I did..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '15

Be-careful when you adopt these farm animals out, they just might end up at the Hackettstown Livestock Auction on Stiger Street and on the auction block for the highest bidder only to be slaughtered.

I saw beautiful Alpacas go through that hell hole, when I spoke up and asked questions I was told this is private property and get "the hell off or I will call the police"...NASTY people ... This place needs to be investigated too!

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Does not anyone care there is research lab for monkeys on a farm on Mt Bethel Road?

Toms
Apr '15

omg we are caught in a sci-fi movie

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Apr '15

Toms where is that located exactly on Mt. Bethel Road?

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2015/04/young_children_exposed_to_deco.html#incart_river

Apr '15

There must be two properties.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

I thought the monkey research was closed down -- there were dogs too and all the animals were rescued. I believe it was some red barn if I remember right.
I hope this is true and that they are not still in operation.
Toms - what do you know.

hapiest girl
Apr '15

It's Barton's West End Farm red barn complex at the bottom of Jane's Chapel. They also own some sort of holding/shipping facility on Townsbury. They have sold to a different company, I'm not sure of the name.
https://www.thedodo.com/here-are-the-18-breeding-facil-692898317.html

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/biomedical_research/facts/usda_map/usda_map_new_jersey.html
Here is PDFs of USDA inspection report from April 2013 noting infractions and lack of minimum care standards such as any room for dogs to stretch and exercise. Dirty towels were found on surgery tables.
Primates lacked space - living on 5 square feet (probably macaques) and also lacked stimulation or enrichment.
Awful place if even the minimum standards for these unfortunate industry can't be met.

kepa
Apr '15

Prayers for the two children who were involved in this. May they recover fully from their ordeal.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '15

Article on this in the Express times.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2015/04/young_children_exposed_to_deco.html

Agust Agust
Apr '15

I am aghast, Agust; I posted that link hours ago.

Can anyone give us the exact house number?

Apr '15

Lets give a hand the person who saved the two baby goats a hand "who we know" caring for these little baby goats out of her own pocket Lets all try to make a donation to Barnyard Santuaty in Blairstown Thank you for you support

cheyenne's mom cheyenne's mom
Apr '15

This was just on Channel 7 News!

4paws 4paws
Apr '15

http://wrnjradio.com/community-news/2015/over-100-animals-rescued-in-cruelty-case/

Lilith Lilith
Apr '15

Good job to Independence Animal Control Officer Tim Norton !!! All from him catching the loose pigs and finding there home that discovered this big case.

wondering how many more horror stories there are out there.................beyond awful and unimaginable

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

We are really close to the reported location.

Yes, it is after the fact, but two observations:

- there have been a large number of vultures in our trees, maybe 20? Way more than we'd ever seen. I mentioned to my wife a couple of weeks ago that they didn't look to be starving in the least bit. It is really creepy when they all take off and fly around, and also when the sun is out and they open their wings to full span while they're perched.

- a couple of weeks ago when we had a slight warm spell, there was a strong smell from a deceased animal(s) - I said to my wife, all of those vultures and we are still dealing with that odor, they aren't doing their job! We figured it was a dead deer in the field or woods but this went on for days, maybe a week or more, until it got cold again.

Apr '15

How did this guy afford to lease land in Lafayette for some of the animals?

Reynolds
Apr '15

It just keeps getting worse - from the NJSPCA fb page just now: NJ SPCA
2 mins ·

"To All: The number of animals seized and signed over in the NJSPCA Independece case now exceeds 200+. Number of dead animals still waiting to be confirmed. Animal Cruelty charges are absolutely pending once this investigation is completed. Overwhelming number of animals in deplorable conditions in these two locations (Independence and Lafayette) Still working on capturing some of the remaining animals but removed so far were..... pigs, baby goats, calves, emu, pheasants, chickens, ducks, geese, partridge, one cockateil, chinchilla, hamsters, guinea pigs, baby chicks,turkeys, cows and a snake. The majority of the animals are being cared for by the Barnyard Sanctuary in Columbia and Skylands Animal Sanctuary in Wantage. Donations to the NJSPCA ( www.njspca.org ) , the Barnyard Sanctuary and the Skyland's Animal Sanctuary are greatly appreciated. Thanks to Mike's Feed Farm in Riverdale for the amazing donations of feed. Many of these animals were emaciated and suffering. The Prosecutor's Office press release today identified the defendants and also mentioned the fact that there were children living in these conditions and that DYFUS was also involved. One horrific case for all involved and another case that all of our involved Officers will never be able to forget. These images are disturbing and hard to deal with even for myself and our experienced officers. "

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

I would imagine that this couple had visitors at their house, how could no one report this? And also, was the house that set back from the road that no one driving by, or the mail man, etc not see the dead animals on the property? I just sounds kind of crazy with a number of dead animals spread out on the lawn with no one noticing. I can't believe that there was no family or friends that were unaware of this situation. The children going without heat and hot water months....how???

villani villani
Apr '15

Villani

The house was far back from the road. I live close and noticed hogs in a chain link fence area and pick up trucks in the woods but not much else. They did have homes in the Highlands relatively close.

Reynolds
Apr '15

I can't believe that the neighbors didn't see all the animals or the smell, yeah it's winter but really that many animals had to sound alarm, those poor children living in that, thank god now maybe they will have a loving home

Ok, well I just hope the relatives don't get custody. IMO, they are just as guilty if they have visited the home and knew of the living situation. Watching the video on this guys FB page of the pig giving birth made me sick with the kids yelling. I would imagine that would only stress out an animal trying to give birth and having these kids surrounding it and being loud.

villani villani
Apr '15

Reggie Voter, knowing the exact house number is not relivent. These people have enough problems they don't need courious on lookers doing a drive by all day long. All you need to know is the house sits off the road and there is not much to see from the road.

Dadof3
Apr '15

Well yes it is relevant to me for a certain reason; who are you to say it isn't, Dadof3?
Yet another bossy HLer!

I do drive by a couple of times a day.

I was trying to find it on Google maps to see how many feet from my house it is.

Apr '15

http://m.wfmz.com/western-nj-regional-news/couple-charged-with-child-endangerment-when-kids-found-near-dead-animals/32234160

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Here is Chad's other FB. It looks to me that they were breeding these animals to sell for food...livestock auctions perhaps. So being that they were not kept as pets, just as dollar signs it makes sense why they were not treated humanely. I wonder what the conditions are at the other location? If it is the same horrible conditions? If so, there are definitely more people that need to be accountable for these conditions. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004401499437

villani villani
Apr '15

A neighbor from their previous residence said they did the same thing there. In fact they put animals in the basement and left them there to starve to death. HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?

Gray
Apr '15

I walk to the Hackettstown Livestock Auction on Tuesday's sometimes and his green truck is there with the Lafayette location plastered on it. He most likely buys and sells there.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Updated article. At least 75 animals dead. I can't believe these people were raising their children in this type of environment.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2015/04/more_dead_animals_found_charge.html#incart_related_stories

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

Horrific. I really hope these two go to jail. How can anyone treat animals this way. ?

A good day
Apr '15

He also has a property in Lafayette, Sussex County Hidden Pastures Farm which had many more animals.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

pampurr are you making sure the spca has all the information you have?

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Yes, he is associated with Hidden Pastures Farm in Lafayette where animals were taken from also.
Their slogan is "Specializing in quality livestock, goats, pigs, sheep, rabbit, poultry. High quality, low cost local livestock."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004401499437

Now I don't know anything about raising livestock to sell, but do you need a license? Property investigations from time to time like restaurants do? And if livestock is living in these conditions with sickness how is an auction buying these animals to sell to put food on our plates, how can they tell if they are sick. Do auctions ju?t pay for all animals and no questions ask or how the animals are cared for? I would think someone would have to have a license or something to sell livestock..inspections, something?! Can someone clear this up for me>

villani villani
Apr '15

You mean Captain Yocum? I am certain he is on it...lol...

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Villani, The dept of Ag would know..I once saw a downed cow at the auction in the middle of the summer, the owners dragged her off of the trailer, she would not get up and they hit her with the cattle prod to get her to stand..in the heat and hot sun. The cow screamed and finally got up...I was appalled at the treatment of those poor animals...I did call and report them to the Dept of AG. That place is a hell hole for the animals. .

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

pampurr - don't assume anything - the other place - Wagon Wheel has been reported on and off for years and nothing was done - maybe now that there's some publicity--

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

I and fellow animal advocates saw the pictures of the dead horses on FB. I was horrified to say the least.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Horrible and disgusting people. Those poor animals. No person or animal should ever have to suffer. Those children will probably be scarred for life.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '15

No, the sad thing is the children..well the 10 year old will grow up thinking this lifestyle is normal and probably won't understand the concept that this is no ok.

villani villani
Apr '15

Ok, Trying to make sense of all of this and want to believe that all of this happened because of a brutal winter and then things went bad and just continued to get worse....If you look at the Facebook pages and then the websites for the farms, and then see the posts from the sanctuaries, I really am curious, where are the Alpacas? A total of 275 animals & 2 children affected by all of this. Donations made and praying for the children, the animals, and these two adults to figure it all out and make it right again.

2dogday 2dogday
Apr '15

Apparently this was not the first time either. Read the comments on the news article.. this was a way of life for these two scum. I wonder who was buying his sick, non vetted livestock? And I hope to God it wasn't getting into the food chain.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

2dogday, I'm pretty sure that Hidden Pastures Alpaca Farm is not the Lafayette property. It's in Branchville and has a completely different Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden-Pastures-Alpaca-Fiber-Shop/152739011441289?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

According to the listing on openherd.com, it is owned by different people.

https://www.openherd.com/farms/782/hidden-pastures-llc

They also host classes, have a shop, and are home to a 4-H Alpaca group. So I don't think it's the same, just an unfortunate naming coincidence.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

Re: Why was Warren County SPCA on Russling Rd?

Aquarius, you are correct. The Alpaca farm is NOT the second location.
I can not find a website for the second location of Hidden Pastures Farm. Just the information on Chad's FB, with their email and phone number.

villani villani
Apr '15

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I couldn't help but think that was a huge piece that was being missed. Very unfortunate that they share a name in light of these events. Honestly, that farm looked way to nice and presentable to be part of this mess.

2dogday 2dogday
Apr '15

Agreed 2dogday.

I imagine that this couple are not the ONLY ones taking care of the two properties. Other people who lived or worked on the farm should be accountable too. I hope in time more charges are made with the other people involved.

villani villani
Apr '15

Just came across what seems to be the latest news report. http://newjersey.news12.com/news/prosecutors-couple-exposed-2-kids-to-decomposed-animals-1.10219857

villani villani
Apr '15

SEVENTY-FIVE dead animals?!

SEVENTY-FIVE!!??

This is so far beyond the pale I don't even have the words.

May they each get the full 10 years in prison.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '15

If anyone is able to, please donate a few dollars to The Barnyard Sanctuary. Tamala works tirelessly to help abandoned animals and I'm sure she is overwhelmed right now with the addition of these.

http://barnyardsanctuary.org/

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

We are absolutely sickened and heartbroken about this. Words cannot describe the anger I feel.

We donated to Barnyard and will continue to do so. We are so lucky to have them in our backyard and it's not easy doing that all as a non-profit charity.

Prison is not even close to enough punishment. It's way too good for those heartless, pathetic excuses for humans - they'll get fed and have a clean place to live if they are in prison. They deserve to experience the severe suffering that they imposed on those helpless lives that depended on them.

Prayers for the children, all of the animals that are fighting to live and the souls of those that did not.

Jules Jules
Apr '15

I also donated - and I see there is another rescue taking some of the animals -but I don't think they have reached out yet for donations...........forget the name but it's in one of the news releases....I know Barnyard has been looking for a few large doggie igloos - not sure if any have come in yet - but if anyone has - you may want to contact them............
Meanwhile I continue to hope the NJSPCA is able to take the animals from the place in Oak Ridge before any more die. They have a court date tomorrow.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Are any of the ASPCA's contributing to Barnyard at all?? I would hope so. The donations they (aspca) happily take in every year is probably in the millions of dollars. TV commercials don't come cheap. This is a very disgusting, I hope these non humans go to jail for life.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '15

The other rescue involved is Skylands:

http://www.skylandssanctuary.org/

thanks GC

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Growing marijuana would probably get much more prison time than torturing 100's of animals and two children. Animal cruelty cases usually get a fine, in this case, probably around 10k, maybe 90 in jail and 6 months community service and the children go to a relative. Growing pot? 100k fine and 10-20yrs in prison and children go to foster care (not to a relative). This is a generalized opinion as I know laws and punishments can vary. Just saying, sometimes our priorities are a little messed up.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Apr '15

These kind of people should be forced to work in a animal rehab center for the rest of their lifes

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Apr '15

I am trying to get ahold of them as I have a large igloo...unfortunately I don't have a vehicle that can transport it...Does anyone know the best way to get them...I am getting a bandwidth error from their page.

animal lover animal lover
Apr '15

Tamela from Barnyard Sanctuary is on WRNJ now!

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Call Tamala at 973-670-4477

Yoga girl Yoga girl
Apr '15

thank you

animal lover animal lover
Apr '15

Items that Barnyard still needs:

Igloo dog houses
6ft. Gate dog panels
Blankets

Tamela is swamped with calls so you can call Kim 973-919-4531 for appt.

Thank you everyone!!

Yoga girl Yoga girl
Apr '15

This case continues to boggle my mind and break my heart.

Here is an article with some details I hadn't seen before. Possibly the same as the News12 article posted above, but I'm not a member so I couldn't read that.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Dead-Malnourished-Emaciated-Animals-NJ-Warren-County-Seized-Pile-299086761.html#comments

I think the goats in the picture are looking pretty good. Hopefully all of the seized animals will recover. I'm so thankful that the sanctuaries could take them and I'm donating to both.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

I am really curious as to who buys their livestock and again wondering if they have to have a licensed to do so and how this could have gone on for years according to the pictures on FB. I'm assuming they sold directly from the farm to locals but did they also sell at auctions? And if so, shouldn't the auctions know what they are buying or do they just take in any animas and no questions asked about the living conditions, if they could be diseased or whatever?!
I am looking forward to more details that will come out and hope that more people are accountable for this situation.
I can't help but think that when I pay more money from farms that claim to have "organic" vegetables that they are not so, or the free range, healthy livestock you are buying is not truly that.
I read somewhere that the couple had court today. Anyone know the outcome of that?

villani villani
Apr '15

I wonder about all those things, too, villani.

Do you mean the neglect and abuse was going on for years? Or the farm operation itself? What kind of pictures are on FB?

I thought that Wagon Wheel Stables in Oak Ridge had a court date today. I don't know if I read that about this case. Maybe, though no news.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

I posted a video with part of the Wagon Wheel story somewhere in this thread.......and they had a court date today. I haven't heard how it went just yet.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

I mean the operation itself. Pictures of livestock going back a few years but this type of behavior does not just happen overnight. I would imagine that the mistreatment has been going on for years...probably getting worse over time.
And I don't know how I missed this from the article but dead animals found INSIDE the house?! Cows?! This is so disturbing on so many levels.

"The dead animals in the couple's residence included cows, chickens, rats, a piglet and goats, including one left in a room attached to the master bedroom, Lloyd told investigators, according to a criminal complaint. Asked why they hadn't been cleaned up, Lloyd allegedly said he "guessed" he was lazy."

villani villani
Apr '15

According to Tamela on WRNJ this morning, some of those animals have e-coli..and are sick..have to be very careful with that.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

Yes, dead animals in the house too. What a freaking horror show. I can't even imagine what those poor children were subjected to. This truly boggles the mind.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

This whole situation is completely disgusting! I hope they throw the book at them.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

A complete horror show..on two properties! I agree with with Calico696 throw the book at them!

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

@Villani, If Lloyd buys and sells at the Hackettstown Livestock Market I am sure they have records. Imagine those diseased and sickly animals getting into the food chain!

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

I can't stop thinking about the smell and disease those poor children had to live with. I wish I was in a position to take some of those animals.

Christine Christine
Apr '15

Hey, not to throw anybody under the bus and I'm sure the police are doing a fine job and investigating. I do strongly feel this couple did not act alone and/or other people must have known or can maybe answer questions. This couple has a good friend who also has a farm located in Mansfield. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to check out their associates farm if anything to just ask questions. Again, not trying to throw anybody under the bus but this is a very serious case and all angles need to be looked into. Hey, if you have nothing to hide..no big deal.
https://www.facebook.com/openpaddock.farm

villani villani
Apr '15

And with that said, I think obviously ALL farms or people that had dealing with this couple should be looked at. If they found e coli in the animals, god knows where it spreading to now and the buyers need to be aware.

villani villani
Apr '15

NJ SPCA

43 mins · Edited ·
Regarding Wagon Wheel Stable from the NJSPCA FB page https://www.facebook.com/njspca?fref=nf

Wagon Wheel Stable Jefferson Township Update : On April 9th a Court Order was signed and obtained by NJSPCA that allowed for the immediate seizure and removal of all livestock animals from this property. The Order states that no additional animals can be housed on this property (with the exception of three dogs) or any other property owned or leaded by the defendant, in addition random inspections by Animal Control or the NJSPCA can happen without notice to be sure Court Order is adhered to by the defendant. The livestock animals were removed from the property this morning and being transported to local animal sanctuary. Finally an end to this case. Capt

That is great news - all animals going to new and good homes - let's hope there's regular follow up to be sure she doesn't get more animals

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Donate to the LOCAL rescue org's, you can trust most of them. Anyone who has lived in New Jersey, especially Warren County since the early 1980's is reminded every few years why the SPCA isn't charitable to anyone but self interest and some interesting twists on how not to run a 501c3. Takes a lot of money to pay executives, run TV ad's and keep them in bullets and tactical gear and vehicles. They're still one of the few federally registered law enforcement groups that don't need probable cause nor a warrant to enter you property. Just a tip from someone who doesn't like who or what they see is good enough.

One-Eyed Poacher One-Eyed Poacher
Apr '15

You may not like the njspca but they can enforce the law to remove animals in danger as we've been posting. They can also present evidence to have charges brought against an individual.

denise denise
Apr '15

Hello
I am the owner of open paddock farm. My farm is is not affiliated at all with ANY other farm.
I do however know the couple being charged in this matter. As I know many locals who frequently go to the hackettstown live stock market.
I don't see how you could think I was at all affiliated with anyone as I've built quit a good rreputationon my own.
Regardles I Was contacted by phone on 3/30/2015 by the department of agriculture to request i allow them (voluntarily) to enter my property and inspect my property and livestock along with the care i give them.
I was more than happy to despite this meaning I would be loosing a full days wages at my job. The inspection went really well. They took several pictures and we were able to engage one another in some great farm / animal husbandry talk.
Needles to say I would appreciate your discretion before slandering.
On another sub topic that some folks here seem to not understand the livestock auction in hackettstown is (sold for slaughter only) market. They do not sell pets they do not sell breeding stock animals. They sell animals for slaughter only.
I do get the impretion that many folks have no clue were there food actually comes from. And I am cecertain the vast majority has no clue if the animal they had for last nights dinner lived a fantastic life or a miserable one.
I would suggest you follow your own food back to its start. If you do that you would understand why so many familys are shopping local farms. And or raising there own food...

happyinmansfield happyinmansfield
Apr '15

^ While I know the person who brought up the Open Paddock Farm was just trying to be helpful, we definitely need to be careful not to slander people needlessly, especially if we do not have any good reason to do so. Happy to hear your inspection went well. And I agree, the majority of meat everyone buys at Shop Rite definitely did not live a "happy life" in a factory farm.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Apr '15

I have seen a lot of animal cruelty in that parking lot by the folks that truck in their animals. And also the water trough where the cows are enclosed in, one day last summer was full of green algae that had obviously been sitting there for days and not changed out. Don't they deserve clean water? I hope the Dept of AG has this place on their radar. just sayin

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

happyinmansfield, Thank You for your comments. I know there are more Farmers like you then the sleazy ones. No matter what kind of business you are in. There are always some that are sleazy and cheating. Thats why we need laws in society to weed them. out and try to level the field of any business. The bigger the businesses is, the more ways they find short cuts. They hire people just for that purpose.
I am sure you sleep well, happyinmansfield

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '15

The livestock auction is open on Tuesday; you can probably stop by the office then or even during the week and talk to the management about your Department of Agriculture concerns.

denise denise
Apr '15

Its a sad fact that most people that raise and market your food do not follow the old ways of thinking. Once a animal is unloaded from a trailer to a market the "owner" of the animal has no more say as to the care of the animal. It then falls on the staff of the market. and since nothing that leaves that market should be alive that much longer after leaving the market there care is not the best in my opinion.
As someone who raises a small amount of livestock I can tell you there are folks out there that do it right. But they are fare and few between .
Personally I don't raise my animals for local auction market sale. But at times I do sell there. That market is a fantastic resource.
Both local and non locals can bring there stock there and have them sold to buyers who are very "high on the food chain"
As well we can buy grains and hay along with general supplies for our farm.
Yes it is a sad fact that many animals you eat have terrible lives. It is a disgusting fact... One that pushed me to raise my own food for myself. How ever that is not an option for the lazy or the faint of hart. Its long days and late nights of ridiculously hard work. And letting yourself get aattached to an animalthat you know will one day feed your friends and family.
But we let ourselves get attached to these animals as it is the best way to guaranty there happy lives. I promise all my animals from the time they are born to the last days on earth they are only ever going to have one bad day in there lives.

Apr '15

Before the cow is sold for slaughter it should be able to have some clean water to drink not green slime?? Wouldn't that be the humane thing to do?

Denise already did that they don't care. You must call the NJ Dept of AG and they will follow up when you file a complaint.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

So call the NJ Dept of AG and file a complaint if you feel no one at the auction is paying attention to your concerns...just sayin...

denise denise
Apr '15

Growing up, we had a horse slaughter near us in Linden NJ. They came in on trains. My friends father would go over and look them over. If he found a younger one that looked promising. he would make a deal to buy it. I rode a few of them in my day. Later years I went to Bunche Grants horse auction. We would buy saddles and tack. These auctions are no place for the faint of heart, but they are necessary.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '15

Yes Pampurr - all the animals at the Livestock Auction are required to be provided clean drinking water.

I worked there with the old management, who had run the place for decades. They (we) all left three years ago, as we refused to participate with the practices of the present management - Directors.

The NJ Dept of Agriculture will investigate concerns - but it takes a lot of time.

The Hackettstown Police have been very efficient in following up with complaints.

As for "high end buyers" of animals - this is a "For Slaughter Only" market.

Are sickly downed cows for "Human Consumption too"? I think not, according to the Dept of AG. But that is what I saw. Two men dragging their downed sickly Holstein cow out of a trailer beating her to get up with cattle prods.

What a disgrace this place is!

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

pampurr who are you reporting your concerns to? do you video and submit videos of scenes like the one described above? obviously nothing will change unless appropriate people investigate...............there's not much we can do on the forum

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

. It amazes me how uninformed the general public can be.
At USDA inspected slaughter facilities any animal that can walk through the shut can end up on your family dinner plate.
Has anyone watched "food inc" or "farmageddon" ????
Being informed is your best defense for the animals and your family's.

Apr '15

5CATMOM, yes I filed a report along with a picture. Similar occurrences at New Holland Sales in Lancaster Pa. Thank God for Animal Angels.

pampurr pampurr
Apr '15

A little more info. on what we eat.

http://news.yahoo.com/meat-industry-t-stop-buying-more-more-antibiotics-195903748.html

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '15

You all know that there is an office of Dept. of AG right there right? Talked to him myself a few times.

Teenie
Apr '15

If anyone has extra copies from the newspaper on the big rescue we did, could you please send it to us?

Thank you!!!

The Barnyard Sanctuary
P.O.Box 167
Blairstown, New Jersey

Yoga girl Yoga girl
Apr '15

Hi yoga girl
Do you work with the barnyard sanctuary?
My son and I were discussing reaching out to them. to possibly volinter for a project in the future.

Apr '15

Happyinmansfield- I am a board member with the Barnyard Sanctuary
We can always use volunteers- if you can pm me that would be great!
Thanks

Yoga girl Yoga girl
Apr '15

We haven't had a vulture here in days. All two dozen or so of them have disappeared!

Apr '15

Any updates on this case?

villani villani
Apr '15

So from reading about the case it would seem a 36 year old man and a 23 year old woman have two children together, a 3 and 10 year old. Meaning the woman had a child at 13? And that a 26 year old guy was having sex with a 13 year old girl? These people are all kinds of messed up!

eperot eperot
Apr '15

eperot, everything I read about the case did not disclose the exact relationship between the adults and the children. Many of the articles said only that the couple had a guardianship responsibility for the children.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

Make sure you read updates on how the animals are doing on our Instagram or Facebook page- The Barnyard Sanctuary.
Thanks!

Yoga girl Yoga girl
Apr '15

Thanks, Yoga girl! So happy that the baby animals are doing well. Thanks to you and everyone involved in the Barnyard Sanctuary.

I loved this article, just had to re-post it. :-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/20/goats-ansel-petal-new-jersey-cruelty-barnyard-sanctuary_n_7089918.html?1429544862

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

eperot, now that's jumping to conclusions. From what I understand the oldest daughter is not the biological daughter of the woman. It could be his child from a previous relationship. The youngest could be theres as a couple or hers from a previous relationship too.

villani villani
Apr '15

The greatness of a society and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals.
~Mahatma Gandhi.

Bonnie Bonnie
Apr '15

That is a really nice article and the goats are absolutely adorable! Great job to everyone at The Barnyard Sanctuary.

Does anyone know. If barnyard sanctuary is actually a sanctuary where the animals continue to be cared for there? Or are the animals adopted out, to later be sold for slaughter? I know sometimes the word sanctuary can be misleading?

easy to get answers; http://barnyardsanctuary.org/

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

Animals from Barnyard Sanctuary do not go to slaughter.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
May '15

The animals do NOT go to slaughter. They actually rescues animals from the slaughter houses. I know they do their best to adopt out. They are a true, animal sanctuary that loves and cares for all the animals.

villani villani
May '15

Anyway, anyone have any information on this case? Are they going to jail? What are the charges? etc.?

villani villani
May '15

Any questions, just email info@barnyardsanctuary.org

I'm sure Tamala (who has posted here once in a while) will answer any questions. Their stated mission is to rescue farm *pets*, and adopt them out when possible as *pets*. If not, they just keep them.

So they don't adopt the animals out to farmers that raise them for food/slaughter? I hope that's the case, these poor animals have been through enough. I know farm sanctuary in ny. & for the animals blairstown, care for the animals for life.
Thank you for the info.

I have to say, I don't know of one person that has a farm animal as a pet. I hope the people that say they are adopting the animal as a pet are checked out.

Jeez I think a free range pasture and a humane death on a local farm is preferable to languishing neglected as a "pet" on Russling Rd!

kepa
May '15

I'm sure anywhere would be an improvement from where they were. Humane death, interesting choice of words. Unless you've seen it done, not sure can refer to it as humane.

Most farmers I know of in this area send animals to auction, and we've heard of some of stories on this thread. And what happens when they are loaded onto the trucks and hauled off, from that point what happens, I would not refer to as humane.
I just hope this to be a true rescue story for these animals.

Tsarneuv will experience a humane death. Animals not so lucky.

LK - Tamala has rescued many animals from slaughter. The Barnyard Sanctuary is truly a wonderful place. Feel free to contact Tamala and I'm sure she would be happy to answer all of your questions and even give you a tour of the sanctuary. I sleep easier at night knowing that there are people in this world as caring as she. She works tirelessly to care for all of her animals. The Barnyard Sanctuary is on my list of places I contribute to annually.

Calico696 Calico696
May '15

Thanks Calico696. I will def call and take the tour. From what you've said, sounds like they're in good hands.

LK- I have adopted 6 animals from The Barnyard Sanctuary: a mini horse, mini donkey, 2 goats and 2 bunnies. They are all extremely spoiled farm "pets". I volunteer for the sanctuary and this rumor is absurd. I've actually heard this rumor before and I'm pretty sure I know where it's coming from. I'm not sure why someone would want to spread horrible lies about a place that is trying so hard to save the lives of so many animals. Would you like me to have Tamala personally call you? I'm sure she would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Leanne Leanne
May '15

Thank you Leanne, I'm glad to hear from so many what a good place barnyard sanctuary is. I can't talk to anyone right but I will call and visit. No one has told me rumors about the place. I know from past experience about certain places called sanctuaries, which wasn't the case. Spoiled pets, are the best pets to have. Thanks Again. And I will visit barnyard sanctuary and possibly volunteer.

Guilty plea:

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-newjersey/warren-county-couple-plead-guilty-to-child-endangerment-animal-cruelty-charges/33803570

Jun '15

Thank you for the update!

Summer Summer
Jul '15

Chad Lloyd and Kimberly Brown pleaded guilty to two counts of child neglect/child abuse and one count for animal cruelty ONE count of animal cruelty..???????

Your kidding me!!! NJSPCA what gives!

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

Don't the other animals that suffered and/or died count for anything?

Dansker Dansker
Jul '15

I have no confidence in the NJSPCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..There is another property in Lafayette, Sussex County which they rented that was tucked away from the road. (Across the road from the pet cemetery) how ironic....where more animals suffered and died. That case is being tried in court in Sussex County..I hope they get more than a slap on the wrist for those deaths!!!!!

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.