Lien-free title for vehicle from MVC

I paid off the loan that I used to purchase my company car off lease. The lien was satisfied and I received the title from TD Bank with the appropriate notation. TD Bank, stamped and signed in the field designated for the release of the lien. In the accompanying letter, they advised me to obtain a lien-free title from the State. Here's the question:

-Is it correct that the NJMVC will charge me $85.00 for a new clear title with the lien information removed? (that's the way I interpret their website)
-Has anyone had trouble selling a car (either privately or to a dealer) with the lien information on the title? Did it delay the process despite the certification from the bank that it was satisfied?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the trouble to go to the MVC office and pay the money for something that, in the end, really doesn't matter.

By the way, forget calling them. That's an all day process with an uncertain outcome at best. Someone on this forum must have dealt with this at some point

DrBob DrBob
Mar '15

I've gone through that as well. I presented my letter to the lady at the desk and was asked if I wanted the new title printed or just change the data. I want to say the cost was less than $85 but that may just because it was a car and not a big truck in a higher weight class. ($84 are two year old trucks or commuter vans, if it's older or lighter the cost could be more like $45)

I asked the clerk and they said it doesn't have to be done, and I decided not to spend the $. Anyone who checks with DMV will see a clear title. And if at some time I lose the current title it will print out clear. I figure if a buyer wants to, let them take care of it, they won't have a problem in doing the title transfer and that's all I really care about.

Is the title you have in your name or the banks? If it is in the banks name, you need to get a new title and re-register your car.

Stuart
Mar '15

If the title is in your name and the lien is free and clear, then you do not need to get another title. You will be charged $60.00 to get a new title which is unnecessary.
I am a previous MV employee and am now a title clerk.
Also, the $85.00 fee was $60 for the title and $25 to place the lienholder on the title.

Linda Linda
Mar '15

My husband took car title and a letter from bank to MVC, representative put a stamp on a title and marked something in a system. He didn't pay anything. It was a month ago.

I've sold many of cars with the stamp still on the title from the bank. Never had a problem

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Mar '15

I also sold a car with the stamp clear on the title from the bank. I believe I have done it with all my cars.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.