Need help from those who know German food

Please help: a friend who is an older gentleman originally from Germany is in the hospital after a big surgery. He won't eat because he says he doesn't have an appetite and the hospital food does not appeal to him. And the hospital says he cannot leave until he starts eating! He's also feeling blue, and I would like to try to cheer him up by bringing him some home-cooked traditional food from his homeland. The problem is, I have NO idea what that should be. I'm not even sure I could name one single German dish. If anyone could please suggest something that is widely served and liked in Germany, I would be greatly appreciative. I'm sure I can find the recipes online if you just suggest the dishes. Thank you!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

Wiener schnitzel and spaetzle! Or rouladen! I can supply recipes if you need.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Mar '15

Maybe you can get some suggestions/ideas from the Black Forest Inn restaurant website it's a German restaurant.

I just made a huge pot of Chicken Paprikash which is a Hungarian dish, but it has Spaetzle in it which he might be familiar with.

Octobaby1031
Mar '15

Maultaschen. It is a classic German comfort food. It is a ravioli type of dish and very tasty. It would be an easy dish to prepare and bring to enjoy in a hospital setting.

I have seen it here packaged fresh as well as canned. Of course homemade is the best. I'm sure Bruno at Stella G's could prepare a few servings in no time.

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__W__t__G/04/03/01/Feature__1.html

Go stock up at Alpine Deli in Blairstown!!!!

Landjäger, Solinger, Bierkügeln, Cervalats, Mettwurst, Kielbase
and even smoked Ham Bones!

http://alpinemeatsanddeli.com

blah blah buoy
Mar '15

Rouladen.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '15

Rouladen. Clearly. Shell steak wrapped around pickle and bacon stuffing!! That's what I'm always requesting at Black Forest.

If it wasn't that, then I would suggest Kassler Rippchen which is a smoked pork chop, usually served with sauerkraut or spiced red cabbage.

Octobaby1031 - Germans and Austrians make that too, they just call it Paprikahuhn.

PS. If you don't feel like cooking, Black Forest makes every single thing mentioned here and more. ;-)

Hasenpfeffer (a rabbit dish), Sauerbraten (a rich, spicy, potroast marinated beforehand
and served with a gravy made from the drippings and gingersnaps), Leberknoedel
(liver dumplings). Desserts need to be served "mit Schlag" with whipped cream!

Chris S. Chris S.
Mar '15

Wow look at all the suggestions. I'm googling furiously as I've never heard of these dishes. Maybe I *should* entrust the preparation to the Black Forest Inn... or Bruno/Stella G's... as I've never cooked anything German before. And I definitely want what I bring to be appealing to him. Can't thank you all enough!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

Rebecka - Even if you don't get the food there, you need to eat there every day just to taste them all!!

Chris S. - Schlagsahne is whipped cream, if you asked for just the "whipped" part it translates as getting punched. ;-)

Considering he just had major surgery and Maundy Thursday is coming up... how about a nice traditional German soup that's associated with the Easter season? Its called Kurbelsuppe and is essentially a cream of chervil soup with egg yolks.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

Just found a recipe for the Kurbelsuppe. That looks like the one dish I could probably make myself and have it turn out just right. Doesn't seem complicated, and it will be perfect for the holiday. Thanks, ianimal. Other dishes I think I will place an order for.

I've never been to the Black Forest Inn, but I definitely want to now! This food sounds wonderfully different from the things I make regularly (French or American fare) and very yummy. Maybe I'll put in an order for dishes for us, too, in addition to a dinner for our friend. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

Greg, I just made Maultaschen last week. Recipe from the WSJ. Came out alright. Lot of work though. Didn't quite get the pasta right, a little too thick.

How about some Sauerbraten and potato dumpling? That's always good.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

OMG, I must try this Rouladen buisness!!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

For anyone that wants more on Rouladen, do a forum search on it. ;-)

GC, I've been wanting to make my grandmother's recipe for awhile. Time for me to stop wantin' and start doin'.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Rebecka, Do you know where in Germany he is from; different regions have different specialties. My family was from the southern part of Germany. I have some good old German cookbooks.

Rebecka~ that is so thoughtful and sweet of you! He's lucky to have you as a friend. Sending good wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Mar '15

I see a trip to the Black Forest for this crew! Rebecka, you are so sweet to do this for him.

I belong to the German Club in Flanders (Swim and Sport Club, Emmans Road) and by far The Black Forest is the way to go for the Rouladen and other specialties. Our members eat there often! Many of the dishes look simple but are difficult to master and they have most everything mentioned here on their menu.

Alpine Meats is good too for the Landjager (a big Slim Jim, but much better tasting!).

Of all the things I miss as a vegetarian it is Rouladen, yum, yum, yum.

trekster3- trekster3-
Mar '15

Available at local supermarkets: bratwurst, bauernwurst, teewurst, sauerkraut, red cabbage. spaetzle, potato balls. All of these do not require extensive preparation.
For a better selection of German food items, including cold cuts, The Alpine Meat Market in Blairstown, of course.
I hope this may of help to bring a speedy recovery!

fusselfrei fusselfrei
Mar '15

Sounds like there is plenty to choose from with all of these suggestions. Bruno at Stella's is not German - he is either Swiss or Austrian, but he would have the knowledge of the food of course.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Mar '15

also a German club in Dover- Germania park

stressed out stressed out
Mar '15

Another place you can check out, had another excellent meal here last week.

http://www.jagersteinbiergarten.com/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

German potato salad is my favorite. Very easy to make, don't forget the bacon, that's the best part :)

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '15

I like German potato salad as well Sunshine. Another favorite, and don't know if it's German or not, is sausage and apples. My dad would make it for us all the time for breakfast. One of my favorites. Maybe some of the other posters here can tell me if it's a dish from Deutschland or derivative thereof.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.