Lots of wrecked cars on Stiger St.

is that lot now a junk yard,is it zoned for that? just wondering

concerned townie concerned townie
Mar '15

Where? At the body shop...where they fixed wrecked cars?

smtt23 smtt23
Mar '15

Lol who cares

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

There is more than one body repair shop on Stiger, that's why you see so many wrecks. Yes, they are zoned (and licensed) repair shops.

Who cares? Really?!?! Im so sick of driving around town looking at garbage and crap everywhere.
People really need to start cleaning up their property, town is looking dumpy.

nutty nutty
Mar '15

how concerned can you be if your asking on a forum....Call the town hall or better yet pull into town hall and ask!!

outsider outsider
Mar '15

Just be glad there's a business there at all...

This area (not just Hackettstown) is a dump with all of the abandoned lots and buildings from failed businesses. Gotta love the NJ economy.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

I was honestly wondering the same thing, so I am happy they posted to this forum. That lot is now filled with cars that haven't moved in what seems to be years.

I would think, even though it is zoned as a auto repair shop, there would be some sort of stipulation to keep it from becoming a junk yard?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

+1 outsider

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Just wondering? or Just trying to start a problem with a small local business that has been around town most likely longer than you? Just saying ;-)

wondering wondering
Mar '15

outsider and lotsocats, maybe the op is not a snitch? By going direct to town hall, you are basically tattling and/or complaining. They simply asked if it is a junk yard, and if that's what it is zoned for.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

LOL @ lotsocats! Good one Darrin.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Darrin...I never said the op was snitch!

outsider outsider
Mar '15

I suppose town hall knows about this, it's right across the street

eapos eapos
Mar '15

+ 1 eapos

outsider outsider
Mar '15

concerned townie - what is it that you do for a living?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '15

A lot of those Junkyards are there because of an ordinance that the town (s) must show tribute to the great Family that owns the properties.

The "Sanford" Family. That is spelled.... S A N F O R D ...Period!
Actually... the son of the owner... "Lamont" , has a few properties in Paterson, NJ...

They will be soon, be shipping those rusted relics to hackettstown. Yep! On the Train...The Choo Choo Train.

Then, a great monument will be built utilizing all the junk cars, and Jobs will be created as such that it will support the town.
I think they said, "In The Year 2525".... ( gee, wasn't that a song? )....and they will erect the monument in what used to be the Park, along side the 2000 solar cells that will supply energy to the monument lighting and display's!

BTW... Next Month is "Love Your Junk" month!

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '15

FIRST OFF, LMFAO eapos, I nominate winner of the there is your sign award, that was funny, and totally forgotten by everyone posting cuz we were all to busy getting defensive!

to better explain what i was trying to say outsider, i didn't say you said it, i said maybe the poster is not a snitch and he felt by going to town hall to "inquire about the zoning" that could be construed as complaining, thus why he didn't want to do it?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

The nerve of a body shop having wrecked cars!!... My guess is they are waiting for scrap price to go up and they will be gone

Booster90 Booster90
Mar '15

I have to agree - of late it has become quite an eyesore. I live a block away and it has really gone down hill. I think I might call town hall and see if there is an ordinance. The only thing is the owner of that shop/property services Hackettstown Police.

Kate S. Kate S.
Mar '15

Im gonna call town hall too because there are a lot of houses painted a color I don't like .

Booster90 Booster90
Mar '15

I'm calling too cause I don't like brick or little pink houses! ;)

John C John C
Mar '15

Are we back to the point that you cant ask a simple question with out some one picking on the questioner

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '15

That's social media for you. People can toss all the insults they want and hide in the shadows. Another word for it is bullying. Good job guys.

Redwing
Mar '15

I only make snide comments to people who do not use punctuation it is an essential skill learned in school and the inability to use a period created a bad example for the youth of our country many people will complain about education but yet cant be troubled to use punctuation its a necessary skill to prevent run on sentences to to know what someone means when they say lets eat grandma are they telling grandma that it is time to eat or are they telling others it is time to eat grandma the world may never know since there is no punctuation to determine the idea and to help with meaning

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

Im gonna call town hall too because Mrs. Taylor seems to use a lotta ice, whenever he's away.
Mr. Baker can you tell us why your secretary had to leave this town?
And shouldn't widow Jones be told to keep her window shades a pulled completely down

oldred
Mar '15

your kidding btownguy right?

this is a freakin forum, not a college research paper, it is casual conversation, but beware...the grammar police are out and about......

I highly doubt our "youth" is on this forum learning how to punctuate............

also worth noting, you used NO periods in your post.....

and it was a run on sentence........

who is wrong now?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

that was the point Darrin. he did it on purpose.

darwin darwin
Mar '15

@darwin, I got it, seemed obvious

@oldred, I recognize it, but not sure if it was Music Man, or Oklahoma....or am I totally off base?

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

I got it too, just wanted to call him out cuz some people obviously have nothing better to do, as i have said before, to cause issues within with no point being made

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

"not sure if it was Music Man, or Oklahoma"

it's from 'Harper Valley PTA'

top ten hit song in 1968 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D_ptRLNv6Eck&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=TagaVYm5NoqlNsDugugH&ved=0CB0QtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNGss3lCxoRAdxQy7oTRa9ePohym7Q

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '15

@oldred, I recognize it, but not sure if it was Music Man, or Oklahoma....or am I totally off base? your totally off base I'm totally off base I thought this was the form for the PTA meeting

oldred
Mar '15

call him out? he was making a joke, Why don't you call out posts like bump2 that contributed nothing to the conversation.

darwin darwin
Mar '15

I'm pretty sure bump2 was making a joke as well.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

that was also a joke; it seems you need that information spoon fed to you...

bump2 bump2
Mar '15

Thanks Brotherdog, I do remember that song now.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

olred got this one right, this whole discussion is like the haper valley pta, hypocritical judgements.

i like George's, Camps, and Scotties , they all have a living to make, and they all have a job to do, let them do it, successful businesses add strength to a small town.

and they are all right across the street from the cop shop , right? and the town hall?

so to the op, a question, what is it you do for a living?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '15

sorry bump2 i don't know you well enough on this to get your tone yet. good to know :)

darwin darwin
Mar '15

I retract my previous statements :)

bump2 bump2
Mar '15

no need :)

darwin darwin
Mar '15

I am so confused, did I miss something?

Oh now I see it, sorry darwin, his post wasn't there when I posted.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Hey brother dog .,im not knocking georges or camps, just asked a question.about junk yard .Georges old shop ,is some concern.its scrap cars possibly leaking fluids in the stream .Im semi retired. why would that make a diffrence

concerned townie concerned townie
Mar '15

@bump2 I enjoy seeing the wives with strollers walking in tiny clothes. I always catch that light and its sometimes twice if big truck is at light. The women in tight clothes are something to watch while waiting. I have my favorites too.

That area of Stiger Street has always been "automotive row" , long before most of you moved here.....Those businesses have always supported the town, sponsored little league teams, etc. and got involved in the community! When do the complaints start about the smell from the auction market?

deviljet
Apr '15

@ When do the complaints start about the smell from the auction market? soon give it time

oldred
Apr '15

I kinda like the smell of the market, kills the paint smell of the body shop.

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Apr '15

I have lived a couple of blocks away from there for 14 years now..I drive by the place several times a day, every day, and honestly I never noticed that it was a really messy junk yard..Thought it was a car mechanic, car and metal place that was always there.I read about it here so I really looked at it for the first time the other day and noticed all of the broken down cars there...It is a business and it fits where it is...at least in my opinion..

how are people supposed to earn a living?

let them work, let them support their families and our town,

it's a good thing

if you don't like looking at them then chose another road to travel

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '15

NIMBY at its worst

Justintime Justintime
Apr '15

Hackettstown has an ordinance that would appear to prohibit this activity:

ARTICLE 3. PARKING OR ABANDONMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
11-20. Definitions.
Certain words in this Chapter are defined for the purpose thereof as follows:
1. "Motor Vehicle" is any self-propelled vehicle or part thereof, machine or part of machine of any nature whatsoever.
2. "Owner" is any person, firm or corporation owning, possessing, occupying or having custody of lands in the Town of Hackettstown.
3. "Parking" shall be deemed to include the parking, placement or storage of any "Motor Vehicle" as hereinabove-defined.
4. "Person", "Owner", "Possessor" or "Occupant" shall mean any individual person, group of persons, partnership, corporation, firm, association, or any other entity.
11-21. Unlawful Act.
A. It is hereby determined and declared that the abandonment, leaving or storing out-of-doors on public or private property of any motor vehicle not currently in use for transportation or not licensed for the current license year with a currently-dated inspection sticker, or any unused machinery, machine, appliance, equipment or parts thereof, is contrary and inimical to the pubic welfare in that such articles so placed, parked, stored or abandoned attract, or may attract, persons of tender years who, being so attracted, may play in or about such articles and be injured in so doing; and in that such articles so placed, abandoned or left out-of-doors exposed to the elements deteriorate, and in themselves are unsightly and are detrimental to and depreciate the value of properties where they are located.
B. No person shall abandon, leave, keep, store or suffer or permit the abandoning, leaving, keeping or storing of any motor vehicle not currently in use for transportation, or not licensed for the current license year, or any unused machinery, appliance, equipment or parts thereof out-of-doors upon any public or private land in the Town of Hackettstown, or between the right-of-way sidelines of any public thoroughfare therein, except by those businesses regularly engaged in the repair or sale of motor vehicles and only upon the private land of said businesses. Nothing herein-contained shall be deemed to prohibit the placing, keeping or storage of any such article in an enclosed garage.
C. No person shall abandon, leave, keep, store or suffer or permit the abandoning, leaving, keeping or storing of any motor vehicles that are in the process of being repaired, are unregistered or uninsured on any public throughfare except in the event of an emergency breakdown in which case the vehicle must be removed within two hours.
11-22. Violation.
Upon complaint of any resident or property-owner or employee of said Town, or upon the motion of the Building Inspector of the Town of Hackettstown or his designated agent, or the Hackettstown Police Department, the said Building Inspector or his designated agent or the Hackettstown Police Department shall make an investigation of the condition complained of, and if a violation of one (1) or more of the provisions of this Article is determined to exist on said land, the said Building Inspector or his designated agent or the Hackettstown Police Department shall notify the owner, in writing, either personally or by certified mail, return receipt requested, of the existence of such violation, and shall order that the said violation be removed, terminated or otherwise abated within ten (10) days after the service of such notice.
11-23. Failure to Comply.
Upon failure to comply with the written notice and order aforesaid, the Building Inspector or Police Department shall file a complaint in the Municipal Court of the Town of Hackettstown.
11-24. Penalties for Violations.
Any person who shall violate any provision of this Chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable for a fine not to exceed Five Hundred ($500.00) Dollars. The imposition of a penalty or penalties for any violation of this Article shall not excuse the violation or permit it to continue, and all such persons shall be required to correct or remedy such violations within a reasonable time. If said violations are not corrected or remedied within a reasonable time, then each ten (10) days thereafter that the prohibited conditions are maintained shall constitute a separate offense hereunder. Such reasonable time shall be determined by the Municipal Judge.
11-25. Appeals for Relief.
Appeals for relief from the provisions of this Chapter shall be made to the Mayor and Council of the Town of Hackettstown, and relief granted by said body by the adoption of a formal resolution may be upon the finding by said body that such relief is not and will not be detrimental to the public welfare and safety.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

In part B:

except by those businesses regularly engaged in the repair or sale of motor vehicles and only upon the private land of said businesses.

It looks like they are exempt - they are a hard working business and
it was a bad winter with a lot of car crashes, maybe they are waiting for insurance adjusters or people to decide what they want to do with their cars

Will H Will H
Apr '15

+1 JIT........

Christine Christine
Apr '15

In Re: to ianimal's post...

THIS is what's wrong with the "law" nowadays... not specific to the content, but the length.

Seriously, that's a lot of words to say "Don't leave s**tty cars laying around".

I especially like that part about those "persons of tender years". Is any law immune to the "for the children" routine?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Lets just remember that the OP said nothing bad about it, they only asked a question and then brought up a good point about the vehicles possibly leaking into the stream.

Yes there have been a few on here that have shown some displeasure.

I think the best guess has been booster, they are probably waiting for scrap price to go up. But if nobody is willing to go ask the owner for themselves, all we have done is speculated.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Nice catch, Will... it certainly makes sense to have that exemption, but I didn't catch it as I scanned through the Ordinance.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

How would any mechanic shop, body shop, impound lot or car yard (junk yard) run if they could not have "junky" cars around? I had to drive down Stiger Street to see what "concerned townie" was talking about and it's pretty obvious to me that the two shops are body shops.

One would expect a body shop to have banged up cars all over the lot.

Heidi Heidi
Apr '15

Mark, I'm pretty sure the Town Attorney gets paid by the hour (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

"I'm pretty sure the Town Attorney gets paid by the hour"

Absolutely!

But it just irks me because "ignorance of the law is no excuse"... Maybe that was legit when (a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away) the laws were reasonable (i.e. simple restrictions preventing crimes against another person) but now there are simply untold thousands, perhaps millions of pages of laws that even police and attorneys can't keep straight - arrest them all, let the courts figure it out.

If ignorance is no excuse to *break* a law, then ignorance should be no excuse to *arrest* or *fine* somebody who then has additional costs to clear their name in court.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Re: Lots of wrecked cars on Stiger St.

I think what the OP was talking about is the lot of cars next to the body shops, not the one in front. There is a yard next to them that is full of cars that are most likely not for repair

Pic is of where i think they are talking about?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

I remember that big concrete boat. Where did it go? Did it ever float? Yes, Red was a guy you wanted on your side.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '15

Yes Ms Fishy I remember Red.... those were the good old days!!

outsider outsider
Apr '15

Red passed away about a year ago. he was living near stamping grounds Kentucky with his wife. yes I agree those where good old days. I have a found spot in my heart for red. I learned a lot from him as a kid hanging around in his shop. The boat was disassembled and sold off in pieces. Red sure could weld. I remember him welding a boiler at the leather factory. that everyone claimed was shot. he couldn't see in it to weld it but felt around with his hands awhile then went at it with rod. the dam thing held till they shut down the leather factory.

Red passed away more than a year ago .

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Apr '15

Ya know those are great businesses that have always supported the town and they do good work for a fair price. I happened to drive by there the other day and remembering this thread, took a closer look than I normally would have done.

What I see is several vehicles parked there that seem in good enough condition to be reasonably used for parts, and a pile of what appears to be scrap, which won't be there for long, as no doubt it will be taken to the scrap yard for cash. Everything is organized. I don't really get why this thread was started, we want to keep businesses in town, I thought.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '15

for those that were concerned about this, it looks like a lot of cars/junk have been cleared away.

darwin darwin
Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.