Smart TV Connection to Comcast Wifi

Recently bought a new smart Tv and can't get it to connect to my Comcast Wifi. The instructions are simple but in the final step it says can't connect. One frustrating call to Comcast customer service was useless. Has anyone done this successfully?

Tigerparent
Mar '15

I've got a bunch of non-computer devices hooked up. What brand/model TV? Is the Wifi card built-in or USB? Does the Wifi see your router at all or is it after you try to connect to the router that it says has an issue? What brand of router? What kind of encryption is the router using for Wifi? (WEP, WPA, WPA2-PSK, etc) Did you enter the encryption key in the Wifi settings?

gc is right, the tv needs to kno the encryption type and the passphrase/encryption key to connect;

i don't like the new so called 'smart' tv's. they have cameras and microphones in them that can be tapped and used by hackers.

this would give a determined hacker access to what is going on in your living room, and to see and hear the conversations you are having with your families and guests.

here's a scary news story about Samsung's 'smart' TVs:
=================

Samsung warns people about discussing 'sensitive information' in front of their SmartTV

Samsung's new SmartTV has a cool new voice-command feature, through which the internet-connected device could record everything you say and transmit it to a third party, The Daily Beast writes.

The company's voice-recognition software allows viewers to communicate with their television by talking to it. It is enabled when a microphone symbol appears. Basically, instead of using a traditional remote control to change the channel, people can simply ask their Samsung TV to change it for them by uttering a few words.

This is worrying people, largely because of a warning hidden deep inside its "privacy policy." The Daily Beast first spotted this sentence, which reads:

Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party.

The Daily Beast makes the point that if peoples' living room conversations are being recorded and passed on, privacy is being undermined. Homes are supposed to be places in which families and friends can talk about anything and everything.

"Don't talk about tax evasion, drug use," the Daily Beast warns.

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-smarttv-voice-recognition-privacy-fears-2015-2#ixzz3VmUdHTtN

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '15

I have a samsung without a mic, if you can post the model number or a picture of the TV box, we can be of much more help.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '15

I have a samsung smart tv, no pronlems for me but did use the samsing customer service once for another (sound bar) situation and they where very helpful.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '15

My Panasonic TV AND Panasonic Blue Ray player used to connect to my Comcast Gateway just fine, and now neither stays connected, nothing loads. Going to run an ethernet cable. My Netflix used to work fine for months, now I can't even connect. But my Macbook Pro connects to Netflix fine via WiFi. Weird.

Bruin Bruin
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.