Favorite Restaurants and Meals In The Area?

To mods: I searched for this, could not find another topic like this.

My favorites: Halulu (Stanhope)(chicken teriyaki, avocado salad, miso soup)
Cinnamon (Indian restaurant in Morris Plains)(Chicken Makani, mattar paneer)
Grato (Morris Plains)

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Mar '15

Focacceria in Basking Ridge, best Italian around. I get the shrimp fra diavolo with black linguine. Alice's on Lake Hopatcong. Great for summer outdoor dining. Best restaurant in the area, IMO, is 90 Acres in Gladstone. It's a pricey place but well worth it. Everything I've had there has been great and the building is gorgeous.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Some of these are not in the area......just saying..

Christine Christine
Mar '15

It's a full five years ago, but we did actually do this before. It's a closed topic because of the age, but it's still got good info and worth a trip down memory lane:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/238128

I enjoy hearing of good places outside of the immediate area..The Morris Plains reviews are helpful to me when trying to pick out a place near work. I guess area is relative on how far we travel in our day to day life. MeisterNJ, I have a friend at work that goes to 90 Acres fairly often and she always raves about it. The place itself is gorgeous from the pictures I've seen. I think it's a bit out of my price range though. Maybe someday.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

Bessie I don't really care about the area but the title should not read "In the area".

I guess it would all depend on what you define area. I define area as Hackettstown and a 3 to 5 mile radius. To each his own.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

Allies's Cupcakery and Cafe in Washington on Broad Street is my new day time favorite! It is open 11:00 to 6:00. Everything is made from scratch. Ratings and reviews are very high.

I don't have a favorite because everything is delicious and the deserts are amazing and home made. I know this post probably sounds over the top, but everyone I know who has tried this cafe says the same thing. If you plan to go at lunch time, get there early or go late because it gets crowded. They do " Take out " too. ( I do not know the owners, chef, or wait staff.) ; ). Parking is available on Broad street or the muni parking lot a few doors down from the cafe.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Mar '15

I will have to try that Spring Fever! My cheat day of course.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

Cinnamon... Taste of India in Flanders is much better IMHO...

http://www.tasteofindianj.com

Wow, really IJay? I haven't been that impressed. I really miss Cloves in the trade zone. That place was the best.

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '15

Christine, would love to hear your opinion of the cafe. ; )

Mar '15

I will definitely let you know.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

Personsally, I loved the barbeque at Tony Gore's in Seiverville TN. Try the pig wings, but I think they're closed on Sunday.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

Oh Bessie, your post reminded me...Allies is closed on Sundays! ; (

Mar '15

I have heard that Thistledo (spelling?) in Belvidere is supposed to be very good

justsayin justsayin
Mar '15

Stella G's is the best in town by far. we get breakfast there every sunday and have never been dissapointed

sammy
Mar '15

Gadfly, I don't know if this is a chain or just the same name but I noticed a Cloves on Stryker Rd in P'burg. Never been though.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '15

Another nod to Stella G's. Just over in Oldwick the Tewksbury Inn is pretty great.

eperot eperot
Mar '15

Definitely agree on Stella G's, never a bad meal.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

Bessie - Now Seiverville TN would be a *big* concept of "area'. ;-)

justsayin - http://www.thisilldous.com/

justwondering - We discussed all the Indian restaurants around on another thread, but based on a few factors I do think that Stryker Road Cloves is the same people as the ITC one.

Well, if the OP thinks Morris Plains is in the area, then I have no problem suggesting places that are of a similar distance, TYVM. Depending upon where you live, that might not be that far. Plenty of posters don't live in Hackettstown proper but a town or two over. Like myself. So while Morris Plains or Gladstone might not be close to Christine's front door, it is to plenty of others. Just saying....;)

Bessie, 90 Acres does have a small plates menu and a Sunday Brunch, so it doesn't have to be expensive if you're careful. Whatever you do get, you won't be disappointed. Can't recommend it enough.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

I have to update my old list from that other thread because of a couple of changes.

Tu Tierra, alas, gone. But Ashley's is in its place. So I will change that recommendation over to the Ashley's Gallo Pinto.

I'm very surprised so far there is no mention of the Churrascaria. Fantastic remodel of the place. Any one of their rotisserie skewers are a meat lovers dream let alone the endless rodizio. Plus they come with an enormous compliment of sides.

I should also add Sub Shack's Round House. One of those feeds a family of four. ;-)

Considering the area some of the others have mentioned, Rouladen at Black Forrest Inn is about as good as it gets.

I've got any number of other places further away up to about 25 miles. (includes Stroudsburg area in one direction, and up to about Parsippany in the other) But that would take a long time to go over, and most have been covered before on other threads. If we get to the point of doing as far away as TN, let me know because we'd need a bigger boat. ;-)

Had dinner with a friend at Mezza House tonight...........everything was yummy .....I'll be back

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I still have to say Pandan Room and Topo!

Service and food are never disappointing. I have pretty much tried everything at Pandan throughout the years and now working our way through Topo!

Mattars for those special occasions. Cannot beat their service and have never had a bad meal there EVER!

Ashleys is great for take out. We can eat 3 days on one of their meals.

Churrascia is great. Its on my list when family is coming out to visit. Just remember to make a reservation. They are always packed on Thursday-Saturday.

Stella G's is my fave for breakfast and lunch. Wish the place was bigger because sometimes the wait is long. GOOD FOR THEM bad for us customers.

I haven't tried Mezza House yet but its on my list.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

I like Pandans Room.
Beef Rendang and Tom Yun soup

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Mar '15

The Taphouse in Mansfield is very good

JoeR - But you're the owner, that's easy for you to say.

Stella G's is my breakfast place, eveything is delicious.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Mar '15

The Clinton House in Clinton, NJ is my favorite

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Mar '15

I've tried Taste of India with my girlfriend -- we both agreed it was NOTHING compared to Cinnamon. Taphouse we've tried a few times, my girlfriend enjoys it, I dislike it strongly. Stella G's we've been to there a few times, it's meh. We've tried Pandan Room, it was underwhelming.

Mezza House's food is wonderful. One problem - the service there, we've been there a few times and got takeout from there a couple times, every single time it's been the slowest service we've ever had at a restaurant -- and each time we went it was not busy. Last time was 3 months ago though so it may have changed.

Roseline's in Augusta NJ is absolutely wonderful too. Best "homemade" tasting food in northern NJ. Really a lunch and breakfast place, though.

As for "in the area", Christine, I'm not talking in town. I would've said in town if I meant in town. I'm talking within 30 minutes from here -- which is an easy drive to do for any dinner.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Mar '15

Mattar's is really good too.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Mar '15

Went this evening to Bea McNallys after a year of not going because of great drinks but poor menu and service... Tonight we had a party of 8 and everyone ordered something different plus desserts. It was so much better and everything came out just as we wanted.. and will plan to go back again. Maybe due to the new chef???

joyful joyful
Mar '15

Topo, especially the bhan mi sandwich. Taste of India in Flanders is terrific, as is their new next-door neighbor Istanbul. Chester' s Aztec has great Mexican and great value.

I love The taphouse. Great food and great beer. I'm also a big fan of Mattars on special occasions. Looking forward to eating there for Easter dinner. For desert, C&L Deli (I think that's the name) serves Mara's cupcakes. I have yet to taste a better red velvet cupcake. Their cream cheese frosting is infused in the cupcake as well as on top and is to die for.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Mar '15

We had the Sunday brunch with a large group yesterday at the Stroudsmoor Inn. It was one of the best buffet type breakfast and lunch at a fairly reasonable rate. When the weather gets a little better it also had outstanding views. Only 35 minutes from PV. Service was also outstanding.

ex physics teacher ex physics teacher
Mar '15

'justsayin' : It's Thisilldous! Very good place to eat

stephanie
Mar '15

Spring Fever --

Is the tip included in Allie's bill? Just wondering as you pay at the register without being given a bill and I thought the total seemed higher than I expected.
I wasn't sure so I left a tip on the table. Wondering if my waiter was extra happy that day !!
And what you say is correct --- the food is absolutely Delicious!!

happiest girl
Feb '16

Allies Cupcakery has a beautiful story behind the business. Check it out in their website. After reading it, I can't wait to go and give it a try!

behappydaily behappydaily
Feb '16

I tried Allie's for the first time last week and was very pleased!

We tried Istanbul Cuisine last Saturday. It's absolutely beautiful inside. It's where the old bagel place used to be in Flanders in the strip mall across 206 from Weis. We got the sampler for 2 and enjoyed it. My husband works with lots of Turkish people and has been to Turkey and he thought the food was good. I have nothing to compare it to but I enjoyed it.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Feb '16

Verona in Randolph - Italian BYO

Ate at La Rienda in Long Valley. I thought the food was very good and staff very friendly, will definitely go back again!

Going to hit up Lumi Zi in Bedminster soon. Reviews look good. I'll let you all know my thoughts..

Iris, we ate there on our last date night and really enjoyed it.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Feb '16

Tried La Rienda last night. It's Mexican and Guatemalan.

I thought it was very good. Really good tortilla chips and 3 different sauces for it (pico de gallo, a tomatillo salsa, and a fairly spicy green sauce.)

Wife had the chicken enchiladas and she liked them. I had the carne asada. Both came with spanish rice, beans, and respective sauces. I can't speak for the enchiladas but my carne asada was very good. It looked like a very thin cut flank steak (it definitely wasn't a skirt steak) and was chargrilled - smokey and tender.

The kicker was that my dish came with fresh, housemade corn tortillas. They were awesome.

I would definitely recommend everyone try this place.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '16

Tracey & emaxxman - glad you liked La Rienda too! Can't wait to go back again!

Just came home from Bella in the little strip mall across from Target. Fabulous meal for party of 4. BYOB. Hidden gem.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '16

I agree Bella IS very good. Every meal I had there was delicious. The guy who runs it also works at Benito's Trattoria in Chester. That place ALSO has exceptional food.

happiest girl
Feb '16

Thaiella at Pandan. It doesn't get much better.

Naturelover Naturelover
Feb '16

Thaiella... Is that a "Thai-berian" fusion dish?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Just tried a new Indian restaurant on 46 in Parsippany...Tandori Flames....The best India cuisine I have had in NJ hands down. Amazing buffet selections and the full menu looks incredible.

Bababooey Bababooey
Dec '16

Arthurs . Morris Plains, Best Steak Ever,

BLUEFISHED BLUEFISHED
Dec '16

Mama's and Café Baci and not even close. Drive by and check out the parking lot from Lunch on. Usually Packed!!! A bit pricey but very good!!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Dec '16

Mattar's, hands down.....

zentravl zentravl
Dec '16

Tried Andreas over in LV by the brew pub had a great meal, wish it was closer.
Finally had Memos over on 31, very good. Wish that place had more biz and talk, its good enough it should be packed.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

Thaiella is a Paella made with Thai curry.
Very good combo.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Dec '16

What did you have at Memo's, Roywhite? Restaurants at that location have had trouble staying open.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '16

7 had dinner at James on Main - everything was excellent.....................

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '16

We enjoyed several different chicken sandwiches or panini and a burrito at Memos. All good.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

Has anyone tried Andre's restaurant in Sparta - it's fantastic - french/japanese food & it's byo. Enjoyed a delicious dinner there last night!

Went to Mattars last night. Excellent!!!!
But was my 50 th bday dinner....
Special occasions only.
Very pricy for what you get.
38-40 STEAK .
MY husband loves steak.however said Longhorn steakhouse was better.
My sea bass was awesome.
But again Matters is awesome, just over priced

Jenna withers Jenna withers
Nov '17

James on main...yum yum just wonderful! Short ribs were great.

Acl74 Acl74
Nov '17

James On Main, best NY Strip Steak

susanc susanc
Nov '17

We went to Churrascaria Paladar on Saturday night with some friends and had a delicious meal. We hadn't been since they relocated and wow. They really made the old Pump House building beautiful.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '17

Staying local, Wings at Marley's, and crab cakes at Mattar's.

Denis Denis
Nov '17

Friendly's

Ralphie
Nov '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.