Backyard Birds 2015

Backyard Birds  2015

look who was sitting on my deck a few minutes ago - spectacular - had to run for my camera which was in a closet -

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Spectacular, majestic bird! What species?

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

I believe it's a Coopers Hawk - probably looking for a snack of bird from my feeders

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

5catmom - I was going to say the same. Looks like Coopers to me.

From the head shape, I would agree its a Coopers. For bonus points, what is the sex and the age?

gadfly gadfly
Mar '15

That is very cool.

On Saturday I saw two Pileated woodpeckers in my front yard. We ran out yesterday to get some suet hoping to keep them around.

I had 2 Pileated woodpeckers low on a tree next to the driveway a couple of weeks ago. I was driving down the driveway, spotted one, called my husband to hurry...fast, with a camera. I stayed in the car watching it and then, here comes another one!! I'm thinking 'how lucky am I to see 2 so close and...where is my husband with that camera'! By the time he came out with the camera, they had taken off but I have the memory!

Great shot 5catmom.... as for age. By the yellow eyes (Beginning to turn orange).. and lighter.. slightly streaked underbelly.. and nape beginning to darken. It looks to be immature beginning to grow into adulthood. Am I close Gadfly? :) I'm guessing there. Let's hope he was watching the birds at the feeder and not gazing at the kitty's through the patio door :). If I recall male/female are to close to call.. at least from what I've heard.

Grascal
Mar '15

Awesome shot.

The older I get, the more I appreciate animals. ..just not in my house. :)

Grascal,

You are correct! I basically has the adult plumage and the eye is orange. Its a second or third year bird. First year birds have juvenile plumage and yellow eyes. Fourth or older and the eye is ruby red. If you could look closely at the little feathers on the upper back of the wings (wing coverts) you could theoretically tell if it was second or third year, b/c they keep some of those feathers from their juvenile plumage for a while.

gadfly gadfly
Mar '15

and then I went to the Raptor Trust with a friend to see more beauties....Thanks for the information about age

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Re: Backyard Birds  2015

Cool... I'm no pro for sure but ever so slowly learning. I had a nice sight at Donaldson's farm this eve watching the snow geese bed down for the night.

Grascal
Mar '15

That's a beautiful shot!

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '15

Cool shots! I can't figure out the snow goose migration this year... Since January there have only been handfuls of them feeding in the fields and none at Merrill Creek. Granted most of the Atlantic flyaway was snowbound, we still should be seeing greater numbers all at once as the fields defrost. Any ideas?

OP on the phone
Mar '15

It is very confusing. I do agree it might be related to the harsh winter. They cannot use Merril creek as it is still solidly frozen over as of today. Not even any flying over the water. I also found it odd to see so many flying over Hackettstown this past week. It looks like to me they are heading north in smaller groups and more spread out over a larger area. I found this link to have some interesting comments on the migration.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?mode=2&objID=621427&open=514

Grascal
Mar '15

I glanced out my window this afternoon....

Where the hell did all those dandelions come from!?

So many in the trees, it looked like a lemon farm. What a crazy day here!

OP - if you're on facebook - that pix and the comments are about perfect for the facebook bird misidentification page ---

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

5catmom - looks like the hawk that is building a nest in my backyard

concerned concerned
Apr '15

lucky you, concerned!

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Thanks 5catmom, I'll check that out.

Forgot to mention, the hummers are back. Don't forget to hang your feeders.

OP on the phone
Apr '15

Got a pic of him today

Great pictures @ OP.

Nice pic OP.. guess I need to dig out the Hummingbird feeder this weekend. There was quite a battle at our feeder this afternoon...always fun to watch.

Grascal
Apr '15

nice shot-- debating where to put the feeders this year- last year they attracted a huge amount of bees that nested under my siding - will need a new location

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Caught this shot of a male Rose Breasted Grosbeak today. I also got a picture of the female; I'll post that next.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
May '15

Here is the female

FarmerJake FarmerJake
May '15

No picture but had my first visit from a male rose breasted Grosbeak yesterday. Also had a visit from a young bear too, maybe a 2-3 year old!

first hummer - unfortunately the light was wrong - and they are FAST

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

Numerous woodpeckers at the suet feeder for the past few weeks. My regular feeder is red and unfortunately Mr. Hummingbird stopped by but was disappointed when the feeder wasn't for him. I use the small single feeders for them in a hanging basket which I haven't gotten together yet.

Blackcat Blackcat
May '15

Nice shot, 5catmom!

This little one hung out for a while today - I got a peek at the male but he zipped away

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

The Pileated Woodpecker was busy ripping the rotted log apart. It was very interesting to watch him work, digging in the wood and shredding the log.

jennymc jennymc
May '15

nice jennymc - on my list of wantosees

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

ID help/confirmation please -- Veery??

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '15

Veery. You are spot on Rebecka. Nice capture and ID.

Chickadee Chickadee
Jun '15

Yup.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jun '15

Have a nest of baby Towhees in the overhang next to our garage. Have to get the pic from DH. Sadly I forgot to move a wicker table I found on the street from under the nest area. Dookie city:(

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '15

Did you mean phoebes?

Gadfly Gadfly
Jun '15

I stand corrected- it is a Phoebe:) just read the description and the "pumping tail up and down while looking for bugs" was the key:) thanks!

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '15

Np. Phoebes very commonly nest on buildings but I've never known towhees to do so. Just took a guess. And yes, the pumping tail is a good identifier for phoebes.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jun '15

Rebecka-What is your camera set up? great photos!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jun '15

fujixt1 - When in doubt just check the EXIF data. Canon 7D with a EF300mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x at about 8 yards.

This thread needs a bump. Not quite a backyard bird (unless you have a Koi pond) but still in the neighborhood. I took this photo over at Riverfront park.

Great blue heron- wonderful photo. I see them flyover and squawk loudly. Love it.

A good day
Aug '15

I live in long valley and a blue Herron visits our pond several times a year. I switched to goldfish years ago... Koi are way to expensive to replace!
We also have a pair of pileated woodpeckers that I see from time to time. An occasional Cooper's hawk as well, glad it has not eaten any of our chickens!!!

Jesse Jesse
Aug '15

Cooper's hawks- today had 2 juveniles perch on my deck. A little scary cause both my cats were out there!

A good day
Aug '15

My house backs up to the Fish Hatchery, so we get to see some nice wildlife in our back yard. Here is one.

And another

Saw this "Bird" the other day on Penwell Rd. He acted like he owned the road! Actually I see him quite often, actually a nice diversion to the "normal" birds I see.

Mr. 4paws

4paws 4paws
Aug '15

Wow. Apparently the loose peacock and peahen are doing fine on their own! I know people see one or the other, but are they never seen together? I would think they would flock together, but I admittedly don't know much about this particular species.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

Not the best pic quality, but I had a Hairy woodpecker with fledgling in my backyard a few weeks ago.

Original Poster Original Poster
Aug '15

We just saw that peacock today! Saw him a few weeks back as well, always on the road. I hope no one hits him.

Jesse Jesse
Aug '15

Speaking of Herons, I caught one preening itself. It's something they will only do in private.

Aug '15

When it caught me looking, I got the 'Hey, a little privacy please!' look.

Aug '15

Chipping sparrow...

Maybe a Monk Parakeet, he was hanging around for about a week and then off he flew!

lifegoeson lifegoeson
Aug '15

Great Blue Heron are our backyard birds:) We have a huge pond and find one every now and then fishing. Saw a juvenile the other day:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '15

One of my birdhouses has bluebird babies in it! How cool.

Aug '15

There's a baby

Aug '15

That monk parakeet is an interesting sighting. I know there are colonies in the northeast part of NJ, but don't know of any close by. The Cornell site indicates that there was a sighting a few years back at the Hackettstown fish hatchery.

gadfly gadfly
Aug '15

Migration has apparently started for some species. Every other day or so I'm hearing unusual calls from birds that are just passing through out the window. Anyone else noticing songs/calls you don't usually hear?

Also I'm wondering if Monk Parakeets are establishing themselves in our area, based on numerous sightings (separate thread was started for this). Would be interesting to follow this possible trend of sightings.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '15

We are only seeing female humingbirds at our window and feeder for the past few days. Seems like the males have moved on. Early spring we get the males first and then the females appear. My feeder is about 2 feet from my kitchen window and we have our meals watching them from our table. They flutter by each pane as if to say " hi". Sorry to see them leave.

justwondering justwondering
Sep '15

The dragonflies are also migrating. We enjoyed watching them the other evening...dipping and diving in the yard just before dusk. Look for swarms of 30 or more swirling around your yard!

http://www.loudounwildlife.org/HHMigrationDragonflies.htm

honey badger honey badger
Sep '15

Oct 3 and cold- daddy cardinal was feeding his baby on my deck this morning. Can't believe it. So late in season.

A good day
Oct '15

Couple of ruddy ducks at airport lake in Blairstown. Winter is on its way. :)

A good day
Oct '15

Last time I saw a hummingbird was last Tuesday. Just wondering if it's safe to take down the feeders or could there still be stragglers?

at Kittatinny yesterday -

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '15

Not too many birds at alumni park. One tree sparrow though singing and calling on this dark afternoon.

A good day
Dec '15

Suet...I forgot about that. The winter birds love it and need it. Woodpeckers, chickadees and nuthatches (so funny to see them eat upside-down) stick around here all through the winter. Putting out suet right now. Thanks for the tip.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.