Stonewood Tavern

Just came back from trying Stonewood Tavern on 206 in Andover. I guess it opened in late December early January, surprised I didn't read about it here on HL. Place was very nice inside, the restaurant has a real rustic feel to it with all of the exposed beams, bar area would be nice to meet friends for drinks. I had the Short Ribs with Pappardelle, others had the Lamb Shank and Roasted Chicken. The short ribs were cooked to perfection, the lamb shank was excellent, the chicken was good but I can have chicken any time at home so didn't really appeal to me. Menu not super huge, a few specials offered. Brick oven pizza at another table looked great! Valet parking, which I wasn't sure was needed, but appreciated when I was leaving and it was raining. Wishing them much success..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

I haven't heard about this place. Where exactly is it?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

We were just talking about this place at work last week. My friends son thought it was very good. Will have to give it a try especially with the good review on the Short Ribs and that the brick oven pizza looked good.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

It's the old Porky's/Timbers.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

Thanks btown.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Just discovered it last week. The grilled octopus appetizer is excellent and so is the seafood pizza (if you like seafood, of course!)

Can't wait to go back - the food was fantastic. Sat at the bar and service was great.

pvcat
Mar '15

@Bessie I should have included in my earlier post the short ribs are boneless pieces mixed in a braising gravy over the pasta but like I said they were excellent and the portion was so huge enough for another meal.

@Calico I had never heard of it either, was looking in NJ Monthly for somewhere new to try. . I saw another place on 206 called The Trout and The Troll but when I went by it is still Salt so wasn't really sure what that was about.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

Do they have live entertainment?

The Trout and The Troll is Salt's second place in Byram. It is located in the former Falconers. I think recently it was call the New Jersey Bar and Grill. It's on Lackawanna Road.

Oh Thanks Greg, makes sense now that they are a sister restaurant, I must have read the address wrong when I looked at their page

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

Finally tried Stonewood Tavern tonight. Very good food. Clyde had the ground ribeye burger, I had the short rib grilled cheese. Everything was delicious, will definitely go back. If you go and have gelato for dessert, be warned the amount they give is ridiculous, easily enough for 2.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

Why do they have "Valet Parking"? It's a TAVERN! Would love to stop in there and have a drink and an appetizer at the bar but not when valet is there. Looks like they do it only on peak nights of the week but still.

Stuffed
Jun '15

I love that place!! Been there several times and I'm totally hooked on the octopus and the saganaki (it's fried greek cheese). I heard they have valet on the weekends because their parking lot is small. I think it's a great idea! The first time I was there back in January, I had to drive around in circles, and ended up parking across the street at Frogmore's.

sweetmaggie300 sweetmaggie300
Jun '15

We finally got here for dinner and loved it! The food was wonderful and we really enjoyed the warm, beautifully decorated atmosphere. Especially liked the wall made out of wine box panels.

We had chicken but will be going back next for the pizza since it looked delicious. The focaccia that they serve as their version of bread was fantastic. And the fries were perfect.

Sorry that we did not find this place sooner but will definitely be regular customers now.

Jules Jules
Feb '16

We tried this restaurant a couple weeks ago and everything was great! Would definitely recommend.

MB, we recently went again and hasd a great meal. Love the short rib grilled cheese.

Bessie Bessie
May '16

I tried this place with a friend for dinner the other night. It's beautiful and rustic inside. It was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday, but we had a nice time. We were served chips and salsa for the table. It seemed odd for that kind of restaurant, but the specials for the night were Mexican themed, so perhaps that's why. In any event, the chips were unsalted and stale. My friend got the mushroom pizza which she seemed to enjoy. I got the ribeye burger. It was ok. The brioche roll and the caramelized onions were great, but the burger was surprisingly dry. Desserts were yummy. I'd definitely try it again because there were a lot of items on the menu I wanted to try.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

Went there for the first time last night with the family. Everyone enjoyed their dishes: Stifado, Seafood Risotto and the Gyro Platter. No complaints, everything was delicious. We'll be back soon to try the other dishes including the brick oven pizza.

If you haven't tried the octopus appetizer, it's a must! Every time we go we order it for an app & every time it's tender and not chewy. Also, the portions are huge there. Great place -we really enjoy it.

Where is this place?

Bernie Bernie
Nov '16

Bernie, Rt. 206 in Byram/Stanhope.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.