2015 Hackettstown Varsity Baseball

Looking forward to this season

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Is your son a junior this year or a senior? How did he make out with the injury last year? (orbital fracture, was it?)

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

He's ok. He's a sophomore. He hit a 2 run homer today. Tigers won 3-1 in their first scrimmage.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Hope they have a great season.

I like the setup of their field, where I can sit in those seats on top of the right field hill and feel like a "bleacher bum."

Also, the scoreboard is usually working and I also like the black and orange unis (-;

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Andy if you come to games I'd like to meet you

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

When I get to a game, I'll wear something to identify myself as a Baltimore fan.

I'm hard to miss, I'm NFL lineman size.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Sophomore who made the varsity squad? You must be very proud, Metsman. He could probably start in the outfield for the Mets (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

If he plays right field, he'll have to climb that hill to catch some of the deep flies.

I always get a kick out of seeing somebody do that.

I saw Cole Kimball play on that field ... his outfield arm reminded me of ...

aaaaah, I won't say it, I'd get accused of trolling (-;

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

3 Sophomores made Varsity. He played SS and 2B yesterday. He is a good outfielder too. Not sure if they'll use him out there, guess we'll see. He gunned out 2 kids at the plate last year.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

I've always enjoyed the guys with the cannon arms.

Seems like there aren't as many of them in the big leagues as there used to be.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Yeah it's fun to watch a good arm.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Scrimmage today at 4pm at Diamond Nation vs Mt. Olive.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Well I'm still smarting from the Warren hills tough loss to you guys in the county semis in hoops so I have the second game of the season circled already. My son is supposed to start that game on the hill too. Should be fun.

Rivalries are always fun.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

No game today. Guess they cancelled it because of the cold. 34 degrees is not baseball weather.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Re: 2015 Hackettstown Varsity Baseball

My son's homerun

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Looks like Cal in his prime ... same colors and number.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Here's the pile up...

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Nice! Diamond Nation?
My son hit one there this past fall.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Mar '15

The fences are legitimate distance at that field, and the ball does not really carry until the weather gets hot and humid in May and June.

He must have really hit it good.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Yes, Diamond Nation. It was a left center shot.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Your 2015 Hackettstown Tigers. Cool orange jerseys!

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Reminds me of when the Orioles, one of the first teams to introduce an alternate uni, came out with new orange tops and orange pants back in 71.

A Baltimore Sun writer said they made Boog Powell look like "a giant pumpkin."

So they went with orange tops and white pants, and still use that combination for a lot of games.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Metsman, its great to see such a proud Dad... taking an interest and spending the time. I'm sure that cannon arm didn't come without alot of backyard sessions with Dad!

hktownie hktownie
Mar '15

Thanks hktownie. I'm sure all the boys dads did the same.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '15

Great first win against Warren Hills. I think it was 12-6

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Yes, it was 12-6, great start to the season.

Could not find any Htown stats on the internet.

The newspapers are not staffed to send a reporter to every game, someone connected to the team needs to call that stuff in. Tuesday they are home, the home team is expected to call.

If Hackettstown wants to pay me, I'd go to every game and make sure the whole world is up to date on the stats of their teams LOL (that will never happen).

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

It was a good game. Warren Hills climbed back to 9-6 but then we put the final nail in the coffin with a 3 run homer.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

a homer by the kid that used to bully my son, and got away with it because his mother was a teacher.

Apr '15

is there a website or facebook page with current season info plus historical stats? baseball is the perfect sport for that, built on stats for years, single season and over a career - most wins, best era, batting average, home runs, ...

ken e
Apr '15

MaxPreps

Apr '15

Reggie no reason to be negative. Save it for the venting thread...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Why was your son bullied? That isnt right! There are no tolerance policies in our schools. It doesn't matter if you are a son of a teacher.

Jersey Mom Jersey Mom
Apr '15

In 2011, for the first time in school history, 2 players (Adam Young and Kirby Neuner) broke the 100 career hit barrier with Young setting the school record with 113 career hits - Young also broke the single season HR record with 9 HR. In 2009 , Mike Rothman broke the single season batting average record with an average of .526 ( WOW!) I don't know if this is a record, but Matt Reynolds from the 2011 class lost only 3 games in his 3 year Varsity career! Any other records to be reported would be great to hear.

Tiger Baseball Fan Tiger Baseball Fan
Apr '15

Don't turn this into a bullying thread Jersey Mom. Keep it about baseball. Not good if it happened but sounds like its in the past so move on...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Big problem here, kids really miss out on good press,the scouts can't find them.It is hard enough being in a group 2 school,but no sports coverage,that's bad.

Big problem here, kids really miss out on good press,the scouts can't find them.It is hard enough being in a group 2 school,but no sports coverage,that's bad.

LoBo

Scouts don't need the press. If a kid is good enough, word of him or her will get around.
Also what group a school is in has nothing to do with it. Plenty of players from Groups I, II, III, have gone on to play big time college sports ( H'town's own Christina Fowler was on Rutgers Women's Hoop team, Cole Kimball MLB Player) to name a few. I am sure Andy can supply more names.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Apr '15

My son is playing for a summer team that goes to college showcase tournaments. That seems to be where scouts show up. If you want scouts to come to HS games then you have to be proactive.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

The scouts at the showcases are looking for pitchers almost exclusively.

Apr '15

And how do you know that Reggie?

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I know that because we have been going to those on our own and with my son's summer and fall teams for the last three years.

Apr '15

Even if that is true, a good scout is going to watch everyone. Why would you overlook good hitters?

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

metsman how did your son do in the game? Was he able to follow up from where he left off at the scrimmage?

Royals19 Royals19
Apr '15

But I do believe you. My son did a winter showcase and half the scouts left before anyone hit. He got one college of interest from Millersville University.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

The scouts will find someone who is good, rest assured of that, they have more of a network than you would think. New Jersey has a well organized American Legion program as well, which gets scouted heavily.

Good press does not hurt, however, whether or not a kid made first team this or second team that, means absolutely nothing to them.

They'll make their own evaluations based on what the film tells them. They consider batting averages that come from team statisticians to be inflated, with hitters getting the benefit of the doubt every time, in scoring decisions.

Someone who goes to every H-town game needs to keep Max Preps up to date on stats anyway --- that's the first place scouts will check to see who is hot, who is worth a closer look.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

I know the Reds have a local scout. If you're kid is good he'll get a look

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Fully agree Andy!

But as I have found out, they have a book that they go by. For example, a center fielder that is 5'6", runs a 6.9 sixty, hits off of the tee at 85 and throws from the outfield at 85, will considered to be a Div II outfielder, only then will those guys look at batting average (as you said with a grain of salt) and maybe go to a game. A pitcher that is 6'1" or taller and hits 85 or more, fits in the slot at Div I., and you can expect multiple scouts to be behind the plate at Diamond Nation (and leave as soon as that guy is done pitching.) You can look this up online, and they will have a table that shows every position and what Div a player will fit in based on their performance level.

Also, great idea to keep Max Preps up to date - to do that, you have to be added as statistician or asst. coach by the head coach, I just found that out this week.

Apr '15

I've often wondered, as a long time Orioles fan, if a guy like Dave McNally would be given a shot in today's game.

McNally was one of the O's four 20-game winners in 1971. He never threw real hard, was not a real big guy, and his high school in Montana did not have a baseball team.

He made a name in travel ball and American Legion, but the O's liked him simply because he knew how to pitch. Same went for Mike Flanagan when he was a crafty lefty at the University of Massachusetts. His fastball wouldn't break a plane of glass, but his sinkers broke hitters' backs all the time, and he won the Cy Young in 79.

The Yankees traded soft-tossing minor leaguer Scott McGregor to the O's for some past-their-prime players, and McGregor pitched the WS clinching shutout in 1983.

Might not get a shot in today's velocity-crazy scouting system. They might "miss" guys like that today.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Most of your scouts are watching the group 3 and 4 schools, because of the level of competition! Most of your Div.3 colleges will take a look, but can't offer a free ride, then money is not there.Div. 2 colleges have some money, but limited,but Maxi preps does help with getting a look! Why these coaches don't update is beyond me! I was at a Tiger football game this year,sitting next to a Navy scout,he was there because the military runs triple option offense. You will not find another high school team running triple option in NJ.The local midget team runs wing-T, next they will be running single wing! Skills sets are different today,drills are different.There are good ball players in this town,in every sport,but have no idea where the showcases are,and advanced clinics! I think the Athletic Director needs to get with it,and start touching base with recruitment ,and getting these kids exposure!

It amazes me all some parents want to talk about are the travel teams their kids are playing on or what so called assistant college coaches are looking at their kids at the showcase events. If you haven't figured it out yet the showcases are nothing more than a money maker for the facilities that are running them and another means for the college coaches to get some extra cash. Yes they pay the coaches to attend. How do you think they get the coaches to show up. You never see top prospects going to showcases. You know why,because they don't have to. The top prospects have coaches visiting them. If some parents would put as much time and effort into their kids education they might actually end up with a successful career. How about we start talking about how well your kids are doing in school or bragging about hown your kid was accepted into an honors class. That's what parents should be talking about. Bottom line is you can talk baseball all day long for your kids but if they don't have the grades it doesn't matter what travel team they play on or what their batting average is Because they will not be playing anywhere including high school and college. Just ask the parent whose son is not able to play on the high school team this year because of grades. Oh but he plays on a travel team and colleges are looking at him. Parents need to get their priorities and their kids priorities in order.......

Royals19 Royals19
Apr '15

I guess the question is, why? Is the school up to par?where do they rank in the state?If a child needs help do the teachers stay everyday after school to help.The teacher's salary is based on a year,and they get the summer off,so there should be extra programs to help them.I would think there grades would improve between the parents and the teachers shadowing them. This is a whole other topic.I was just at a showcase in Randolph,and there were many top ball players there from all over the state.I did not see one kid there from the Tigers.I would bet nobody told them! Grades are important,but I thought that was a given?Colleges look at grades,character,talent,coachability,and how they handle competition.

Royals19 some kids don't listen to their parents. You have no idea what that parent told the boy. He needed this to happen in order to learn the importance of an education. So keep your personal attacks to yourself.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Most teenagers don't listen to their parents but thats neither here nor there. Maybe WE as parents should concentrate more on the success of the team than on individual players. Its this years varsity TEAM that could bring us a state championship!
This my boy is better than your boy crap needs to end!
The majority of the kids I've coached in the past, simply play baseball for " The love of the game."
Let the boys play and let them figure out who the next Jeter is.
just my thoughts.....

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Even the baseball topics on HL turn vicious lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Apr '15

Clyde there's no shortage of ignorant people in this area. Lol... People now think they know what goes on behind closed doors. Now back to baseball...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Hot Corner the thread is supposed to be about the team. Not sure who you are addressing. So far they look pretty good.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Metsman thanks for checking me on the ignorant comment. I was just venting, some people do not air their laundry behind closed doors.
The team is loaded with talent this year from both the seniors and underclassmen and I wish them nothing but the best!

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Wasn't talking about you Hot Corner. Royals19 just assumes because a kid is struggling with some classes that the parent isn't on his case about it. Anyway next game is Tuesday at home. Come watch the boys play.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Will be there if time permits and the weather holds...

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Ok so Reggie Voter and Royals19 decided to be negative towards two boys on the team. Take a look in the mirror guys... Your negative comments should have been kept to yourself

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Please don't turn this into daddy ball !

Let's just focus on the next game.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

When the Tigers were 15-0 just four seasons ago, they were getting noticed.

Matt Reynolds went to Monmouth University ... I believe someone from the 07 sectional champ team played for Seton Hall ... maybe someone could help me out with that one ... Roche was the name, if memory serves me well.

Besides Cole Kimball, the Tigers had another recent pro, Jon Lucas, recently a pitcher in the Blue Jays' farm system. Lucas pitched in college at Wagner.

Play ball as a team and win.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Two recent North Warren guys are pitching at Fordham and Lehigh this year ... Alex Hladik, and Nick Macaione, who pitched a nine-inning no hitter.

North Warren is even smaller than Hackettstown.

Don't believe for a minute that size of school matters to scouts.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

One of the Mets OF prospects Brandon Nimmo is out of Montana I believe. They don't even have HS ball. They play Legion.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Montana, Wyoming, whatever, right? Somewhere over there :)
That story has been told many times during Mets games (you do watch them, right, Metsman)?

He was scouted at the Under Armor event(s.)

As I said, height, weight, 60 yard dash speed, throwing speed from right field to third base, and ball exit speed off of a batting tee are all that they really go by. Which is why the kids that want to be recruited need to go to a showcase, to have those parameters measured by a neutral party. As you pointed out, they do not believe high school coaches or scorers.

Apr '15

Of course I watch Mets games. ;oP I heard the teams out west travel ridiculous amounts of time to get to games. They even go up into Canada supposedly.

My girlfriend's dad was telling me yesterday that scouts all over the northeast came to watch some kid from East Stroudsburg. Supposedly he's a stud pitcher and hit a homerun in the same game he pitched. Word of mouth must get out there too. That's all they could go by in the old days before the internet and social media.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Mike Nikorak, he is from Stroudsburg, not East Stroudsburg. My son knows him.

My co-worker's wife teaches there, she said that they had to build extra stands behind home plate for all of the scouts.

He will probably be a first round pick in June.

The kid throws in the mid-90s. Funny, the scouts were there watching him last week, and they all left after he was done pitching. They missed his 5-5 batting and grand slam!

Because they don't care about his batting or ANY of the other kids on either team.

Apr '15

"Word of mouth must get out there too. "

Pro scouts live in the Tannersville area.

With Hackettstown going to group 3 , they should see more scouts, once the level of competition goes up, it brings them out!

Can we get back on to the subject of the post, I heard the varsity won their first game. Have they played since Thursday and if so, results from anyone in the know?

hackettstown fan hackettstown fan
Apr '15

Yeah enough with the scout talk. They play Jefferson at home tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

based on friends' children ... most talent seems to be noticed first from summer (before sophomore and junior years) tournaments in Georgia, some in Florida, probably Arizona (though I don't know that personally). showcases in NJ are hit or miss at best. Sure, sometimes a scout (or scouts) will come to a local game, but that's generally because they are scouting a name (or more likely if 2 or more are playing at the same time) they know or because they were asked by a known coach. If you really want to be noticed, be on a travel team in Georgia, hit .500 or strikeout the side 3 times, and scouts will start coming to your game there, and contact you when they can per the rules.

ken e
Apr '15

Well if they aren't rained out, won't be much of a crowd tomorrow. Game is at 11am.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Metsman they won again, freshmen won their first game too!

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Yeah my son told me. 2-1 he said. Cool! Too bad it was at 11am.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Yeah, the rain didnt help either. Do you know if the JV's won?
Freshman score was 25 to 1, lol.

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

I have no idea. I'll ask someone.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I was told JV won 11-3.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

The varsity game was really good. Glad I got to see it.

Engels really looked like an ace on the mound, Just one walk, seven Ks. He was a real bulldog, pitched out of trouble three times, including the last inning.

Carida made a fantastic 'web gem' play in the sixth. With a man at second and one out, he laid out and snagged a liner that looked like it was going up the middle for a RBI hit, then flipped to shortstop for the double play. Put on that ESPN music ... ta da da, ta da daaaa.

Both of Hackettstown's runs came on productive outs, playing small ball.

Leading 1-0 in the sixth they really needed an insurance run. Engels dropped a real nice bunt to move Pixley to third and Snyder to second. Then Arcona got the run home with a sac fly.

It proved to be critical, because Jefferson's third hitter in their lineup, Montone, cranked a bomb over the left field fence in the seventh to make it 2-1.

As Bob Murphy used to say, "that's the happy recap."

Glad to be of service, since I didn't see anybody from WRNJ covering it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Nice Andy!!!!! Who needs WRNJ :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Wow Andy good stuff! No Ochoa reference? Lol

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I think this team has a good balance of very good consistent hitters with power - Castellano (LF) & Pezzatto (C). Very good baseball smart players -Lake (RF);Carida (2B) & Franco (3B). Very good role players Pixley (1B) and pretty good start pitching - Engels/ Profulus / Franco. Couple of young players (soph) to watch as the season progresses Arcona( CF) & Hall (DH/UTL). In general its going to be a fun team & I believe they can have some success during the season and make a good run in playoffs. Good Luck Tigers!

tigerfan tigerfan
Apr '15

If you guys want scouts to take a look at your kids, shave three years off their age and move to the Dominican Republic.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

This is a nice piece from the star-ledger, high school sports,Josh McKenzie,8th grader offered free rides already,the scouts are out there,they just have to know where the kids are! Thanks to Andy there was some coverage on the Tiger game,what is going on with are local radio station? Yesterday would have been a great day to have a scout coming to the game ! These kids need help with there college education,Varsity coach needs to get the word out,sounds like they have talent!

I just saw a picture of that kid. Did they test him for PEDs... LOL... He's only 5'-9" and weighs as much as my son who is 6'-2" at 180+ pounds.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Can someone tell me how long the game was yesterday?

Magpie Magpie
Apr '15

RNJ doesn't like sports, they don't consider it important, that's all there is to it.

Real good win, they scratched out a couple of runs against a good pitcher.

They'll also have their days where they rake.

Looks like they have everything you need to win, including the mental aspect, and heart.

You want an Ochoa reference? He was All-Miami Area in high school. With all the players who have come from that area, that gets you noticed.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

2-0 great start! The pitching has been very good as has the defense. The bats are providing some clutch situational hitting with Carida, Pezzato and Snyder being really dialed in. Coach Poyer has used his bench well and gotten 7 seniors (Pezzato, Engels, Pixley, Proufalis, Kendra, Bordi, Lake) 4 Juniors (Franco, Carida, Castellano, Snyder) and 2 Sophomores (Arcona, Stewart) playing time. He has a good mix of experience and youth and some of the kids who have yet to see time will certainly add depth! Very excited to see how this season plays out, could be special!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

It was not a long game at all, but I don't make a note of time-of-game, does not concern me since I actually enjoy watching a well-played baseball game.

And whenever there is an un-Godly blow out, they have a mercy rule.

I've seen the Tigers win a few mercy rule games over the years by scores like 15-0, they even had one in the 2011 state playoffs.

When you're the home team, you can win mercy rule games with a walk-off hit.

That's pretty cool. You can steal a base, bunt a guy over, because as Herm Edwards says, "You play, to win, the game."

Nothing unsportsmanlike about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Some words of wisdom, since parents are so concerned about their kids getting scholarship money:

Trying to win scholarship money for sports is like trying to win love ...
the harder you pursue it, the more elusive it becomes.

If the kid enjoys playing, would rather play ball more than do anything else, he'll reach his true potential and we'll see what happens.

Statistics show that athletes have better odds of earning an academic scholarship than an athletic scholarship. Play ball, respect your coaches, and don't neglect your schoolwork.

So many guys, especially in baseball, went to smaller colleges without a scholarship, and eventually made the bigs, just because they kept improving ... like Mike Schmidt for example ... a classic "late bloomer."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

I'm not sure if this a break it open type team seems more like a grinding - good defense - well pitched type of team. Maybe as the weather warms up ( hope sooner than later) the bats get hot and they do become the roaring Tigers at bat. Either way it seems that we are all in agreement here this is a pretty solid team and I hear the JV team is solid as well.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Apr '15

They'll kill teams that have bad pitching.

They will need to win some games like yesterday's to win championship tournaments, like Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex and the sectionals.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Andy, we appreciate the Tiger baseball coverage but please retract your mentioning of graduated players stelmack, nicolls and putignanon in the warren reporter article i read yesterday
this is not good reporting.

Big sports fan Big sports fan
Apr '15

Nice pitching by Franco and Profilus to notch a 6-0 shutout against North Warren. Tigers are now 3-0.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Franco and Castellano also carried the offense for the win.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Big sports fan provide the link

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

That was an unintentional boo boo.

Thanks for reading the article.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

For the record, my April 10 column mentioned Kenny Stelmack, Justin Nichols, and Vinny Putignano as promising newcomers with the Hackettstown baseball team.

That was a mistake, they actually are players the team lost to graduation.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Uh oh Andy. I think you should have one of us edit your articles before publishing them. Lol

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I may be getting Alzheimer's.

That's nothing to joke around about.

Just goes to show, you can't read through a story too many times. I was going to list those guys as players lost to graduation.

If I send you a story to review, you'll have to reply before the deadline.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

In all seriousness though I would love to see an article before you have to submit it.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

oh brother

Apr '15

Lol... Got something to say Reggie? ;oP

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

The Tigers routed Newton 12-3. Solid pitching by Engels and a barrage of hits. Pixley gets the nod for best shot of the game. 4-0 now!

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Sweet!!!!!

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

The team will be getting more and more crowds and attention if they keep this up.

Another Poyer Powerhouse.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Nice start to season. Tigers have a big game this wed at home vs Lenape Valley. Divisional game and LV is a rated group 2 school. A win will solidify the Tigers within the division and help in H/W/S tournament seeding.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Apr '15

Two area schools that produced a big leaguer ...

Cole Kimball of the Tigers...

Adam Riggs of the Patriots.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Next week is going to be rough. They have 5 games in 6 days.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Tough on the pitchers, all hands on deck.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

What happened in today's game vs. LV?

Beerfan
Apr '15

Tough loss 6-4. Went to an 8th inning. If not for a passed ball earlier in game they would have won. Stuff like that costs you in tight games. It was a good game though.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Kentucky might have been better off in the NCAA basketball tournament if they'd had a loss before the big dance got underway.

Shake it off, learn from your mistakes and get 'em next time, Tigers.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Tigers come back today and routed Walkill Valley 13-0. Just to show what a funny game this is, they beat Lenape Valley 8-3.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

really go figure.....GO TIGERS!!!!

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Wallkill Valley obviously had a better pitcher on the mound against Lenape.

Looking at comparative scores in high school baseball isn't the same as comparing scores in football, basketball, or wrestling.

But in the long haul, the best and deepest team ultimately comes out on top.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Fully agree, Andy. Especially when the rain make-up games start filling in, a lot of the schools have only one or two good pitchers and so they try to play the match-up game. The perceived weaker opponents may face a kid who isn't even really a pitcher. I have seen it.

Apr '15

Walkill's lineup was pitiful against our #3 or 4 starter. My guess is LV's pitcher walked the world.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

I'm not worried. This team could easily be undefeated.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Well they must have had excellent coaching when they were younger.

(I coached about 5 of them)

Apr '15

A little full of ourselves are we Reggie? Lol

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Why yes, so much that I may even ask to edit Andy's articles.

Apr '15

Sorry, that was too easy...I shouldn't be so rough on the only other Mets fan in H'town. Although there may be a few more bandwagon jumpers now that the METS ARE IN FIRST PLACE!

Seriously though, when they were ten or twelve, I said at the end-of-season pizza party that in a six years or so, some of these kids will be the core of a very good H'town baseball team. Really it is because of the work that the boys put in and their dads too -

Apr '15

Hey I only offered a second eye so he doesn't forget what year it is. ;oP

Team could be better if kids didnt go to private school.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

6-1 win against High Point.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Nobody is an "overnight success" in high school.

Obviously a lot of good coaching, parenting, and practice has made this team a winner.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Another win today against Bloomfield Tech 3-2. Team is now 7-1.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Metsman
Glad to here team is doing well. How is your son doing.

townieforever
Apr '15

Stay tuned next year...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Metsman, your son started off the season with a scrimmage game HR I believe, how has the season progressed for him? The cryptic "stay tuned next year" is curious

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

What do you need a specific answer?

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Focus on the team

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Easy there friend, just curious as to how the proud fathers son is doing since much of the early part of the thread was based on him. Obviously the year has not gone as well as it could have for him to this point but there is still a lot of ball to be played. Nice to see you keep up with the team as a whole and your updates are appreciated.

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

Uh I kept it about the team from the start. He just happened to do something good early.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

No problem. Next game is Monday.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Looks like rain :(

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

The Varsity Baseball team received the 2 seed for the upcoming Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex Baseball tournament. Their first game will be against the winner of South hunterdon Vs Sussex Tech. Way to go boys!

6TH HUNTERDON/WARREN/SUSSEX TOURNAMENT SEEDS

Hunterdon/Warren Counties:
1A-North Hunterdon
2A-Hackettstown
3A-Hunterdon Central
4A-Delaware Valley
5A-North Warren
6A-Voorhees
7A-Phillipsburg
8A-Warren Hills
9A-Belvidere
10A-South Hunterdon

Sussex County:
1B-Pope John
2B-Wallkill Valley
3B-Lenape Valley
4B-Newton
5B-Vernon
6B-Hopatcong
7B-Sussex Tech
8B-High Point
9B-Sparta
10B-Kittatinny

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

Metsman's son is just a sophomore.

Don't sweat it, his time is coming.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Good luck to the boys on Saturday, let's hope for a county tournament title!

hackettstown fan hackettstown fan
Apr '15

Saw Metsman son play yesterday. He drove a leadoff single into left field, stole 2 bases and fielded a tricky flyball in a swirling wind.
that was just one inning. His time will come.

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

The boys dropped one yesterday against Lakeland by a score of 1-5 and their record now stands at 7-2.

The Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex tournament begins Saturday at home when they face Sussex Tech. I believe the game starts at 10.

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

They have a chance to prove the pundits who are ranking North Hunterdon and Hunterdon Central ahead of them ... wrong.

So many parents worry about how their kid will get noticed by scouts ...

a good performance against a ranked pitcher/team goes a long way.

They say the key to success in this life is being prepared when that long-awaited opportunity comes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

How could you have seen him yesterday hot corner? He stayed after school with a teacher. He's got plenty of summer baseball to play. He's playing Legion and for a tournament team.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

He must have seen somebody else wearing number 8.

By the way, good trivia question ...

the guy who wore number 8 for the Orioles before Cal Ripken was ...

Andy Etchebarren.

They are the only two O's to wear it in the World Series.

I heard it all the time in the old days, here's Andy Etchebarren.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

They should beat Sussex Tech,not much there, good luck Tigers !

Mercy rule time.

We used to hit against an old pitching machine in high school ... called it Iron Mike.

I felt like Mantle hitting against that machine. It delivered the ball to you at the same speed to the same spot every time. Was nothing like hitting in a game.

Got a feeling the squirrels in the trees had all better head for cover Saturday.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

I think it's time we give Metsman a break. His kid is not playing this season and he has asked repeatedly for this thread to focus on the team.

As for the team Andy, I don't know that I would expect a monumental offensive barrage against Sussex Tech as this Tiger team seems to win more on pitching and defense than offensive production. The second half of the season will be much more difficult based on their fist half success in my opinion as they will have targets on their backs each game. I am certainly looking forward to watching how the boys finish out!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

Hey at least he can say he batted .500 this year with a homerun in 2 AB's. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Hopefully, as they go deep into the big tournaments, they will play the real good teams.

It will be their chance to show themselves, as well as the "outside world," how good they can be.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

The pitching and defense has been good. Their cleanup hitter is out for a few games so that is going to make a big difference temporarily. He's been a hot hitter.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

My bad Metsman, I just caught a few innings of the JV game and saw the number 8 and thought it was your son. I sincerely apologize.

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

It's ok. It happens. Trying to keep our business to ourselves, but apparently that's impossible in this town...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Tournament time!!!
LET'S GO TIGERS !!!!!

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '15

Tigers won 11-0 against Sussex Tech. I haven't played baseball in 8 years and I could have hit off their pitching. Lol...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Hate to say I told ya so...

but, I told ya so.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Spring, 2015 Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex Tournament Bracket
(will update online after each game):

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalleylive.com/tournament/36090/

Go Tigers!!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Apr '15

You the man, Nick!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Big game tomorrow vs Jefferson. Them and Lenape Valley are 3-1 in the division. We are 2-1.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Clutch 5-4 win. The Tigers are now tied for 1st with Lenape Valley.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

The Tigers beat Sussex Tech 15-2 yesterday to move to 10-2 for the season. The team sits alone atop the conference standings with a 4 -1 record. The team travels to Hopatcong for a game today and they play Voorhees at home on Saturday at 2pm in the quarter final round of the Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex tournament.

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

I guess High Point threw their ace against Lenape Valley. Hopefully our boys don't have to face Lenape's ace again. Tigers should have won that game but the kid still threw a good game.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

The Tigers cracked the Express-Times Top 10 for the first time this week.

That area covers Lehigh and Northampton County in PA

... Warren and Hunterdon in NJ.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

The Tigers exploded for 20 runs and 6 home runs today in a 20-10 win against Hopatcong to move to 11-2 on the season.

Voorhees at home on Saturday at 2 in the Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex quarters!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Apr '15

That field in Hopatcong is a joke. Lol... 280 down the lines...

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Good batting practice,now the games begin !

Metsman, the distance is a joke, but six HR is impressive at that field. I say that because the eyes light up when you first see the fences and everyone gets pull happy. The boys must have had a good approach at the plate. Hopatcong's field is nicknamed "The Homer Dome" despite the fact that it is not a dome. Keep it up!

Good AB's
May '15

Yeah you're right. It's still impressive.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

How did the Tigers do today?

They blew out Voorhees 12-0.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Voorhees a jolly good fellow .

Zombo Zombo
May '15

Do they play Pope John next?

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

It is Pope John.

Let the complaining about a private school being in the H/W/S Tournament begin.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Andy,

A take on Hoosiers...... the rims are how high???,,,,,,, ten feet.... just like ours in Hickory.

let's be honest now
May '15

i have seen high schools cheat on the rim height.

May '15

I get it, the bases are still 90 feet apart, etc.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

If you want to get better,step outside the box ! Everyday can"t be home run derby day.The further you go outside this area,the better the competition gets.Tigers are riding high right now,one game at a time,I watched a young man throwing 90-95 mph the other day,and he was a junior! Keep up the good work,forget all the experts,good basics,and speed win ball games!

LoBo the Tigers do not have anyone throwing that hard. LOL... Unless you're talking about a kid from another team.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Yes it was a kid from another team,sorry about that!

Which team was it?

Metsman Metsman
May '15

If you want an applicable Alex Ochoa reference, after he drove in two of Cincinnati's three runs in Randy Johnson's 20-strikeout game in 2001, he said ...

"he throws harder than anyone else in the game, but he still has to get it over the plate."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Randy Johnson was at his peak then. I don't think throwing strikes was an issue.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I think Alex's point was that you don't help him out by swinging at pitches outside the zone.

He never had it in him to criticize teammates, but I watched a replay of that game and so many guys went after the high hard one, and struck out on pitches that would have been balls.

Can't blame Randy for keeping on doing it. It was working.

Basically, I brought that quote here 14 years later, because no matter how hard a guy throws, make him throw strikes, don't be intimidated.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Another win vs Belvidere today 10-6 Tigers this time in 8 innings ! Keep rolling now # 1 in NJSIAA power points north 2 group 2 as well !

Tigerfan Tigerfan
May '15

Good thing is they don't only win when the ace pitches.

On the days they need to score runs to win, they get them.

So, that's 13-2 overall record now?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

OUTSTANDING !!! Keep it rolling Tigers!!!!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Lets see if we can get our boys some votes for this online poll!! Both players are very deserving.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-6468230748219813057/vote-who-is-the-best-player-in-the-northwest-jersey-athletic-conference/

tigerfan tigerfan
May '15

Tigers beat Lenape 4-2! That should keep them in 1st place now.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

After yesterdays exciting game, a 4-2 win over Lenape Valley to clinch at least a share of the conference title, the Tigers have a non-conference home game today against Kittatiny at 4! Show up and support the boys on this beautiful day!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

OMG... I just saw Kittatiny's record. 2-13! This should be over after 5 innings.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

metsman, you should never comment about the opponent before a game, and, you shouldnever belittle one after the game. you do both and the baseball gods dont like that.....

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

Blah blah...

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I was there too. I started cringing when they got within 4 runs. But hey Tigers still beat them up at the end. No more predictions by me. Lol

Metsman Metsman
May '15

blah blah? that was good advice i gave you....be humble about the opponent.....

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

Was being sarcastic. You're right.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

ok cool......

iwasthere does not refer to today's game; it's an older reference. best of luck to your son and the tigers rest of year!

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

It's been fun to watch. Hopefully they can take out Pope John on Saturday in the county tournament.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Here's the reference - Andy Loigu do you remember writing this one???

http://blog.nj.com/warrenreporter/2007/06/tigers_claw_back_to_claim_sect.html

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

Still no time set for tomorrow's ?????

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Last time I checked no.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Pope Johns on-line schedule has 11 am

Sunshine 13 Sunshine 13
May '15

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-1288807514300824438/baseball-previewing-saturdays-hunterdon-warren-sussex-tournament-semifinals/

Sunshine 13 Sunshine 13
May '15

Thank you sunshine, should be a great game.

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Thanks for the link, iwasthere.

Hope we can do it again this year.

Something I'll always remember about 2007 ... the players had walk-up music.

That was pretty cool.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Andy - glad i caught this while you're online - yea, the walk up music was cool!!!!Back then with no fence it was a trip with balls going deep into the gaps......i think the fence is better to have but it was cool without it too!!!!

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

They did the music last game. Poyer lets them do it after 10 wins apparently.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Game time today is 11:00, correct? anyone know exactly where pope john baseball field is? is it right there at the school? (sometimes it's not). Thanks and Go Tigers!!!!

tigersroar tigersroar
May '15

tigersroar - Yes, the game is at 11 am -- it looks like the PJ baseball field is located behind the school (see Google Map imagery view):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28+Andover+Rd,+Sparta+Township,+NJ+07871/@41.0319922,-74.668854,233m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c37214636fcbb1:0x4b12cc9922a92516

I'll be there today on media assignment for LehighValleyLive

May '15

who won the game? nothing on nj.com about it.....

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

According to Pope John's Baseball Twitter page, Pope John won 9-0.

respect respect
May '15

Tigers got shelled 9-0. PJ is the best team they faced all season in my opinion.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Once you get into group 3, it is a whole different ball game,the girls softball team got shelled too 10-0,but the tigers are having a good year in there group! Good luck!

Here are today's Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex Baseball Tournament semi-final, (Pope John vs. Hackettstown) photos I took while on media assignment for LehighValleyLive.com:

http://photos.lehighvalleylive.com/4424/gallery/hackettstown_baseball_team_vis/index.html#/0

- Nick Scalera

May '15

How many more games do the tigers play?

A few more

Metsman Metsman
May '15

3 more regular season games and then the state tournament LoBo. The seedings will be in tomorrow or Tuesday and the Tigers will most likely be the top seed for their group and section! The nice thing about that is that all their games will be home!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

Yeah that is pretty sweet!

Metsman Metsman
May '15

What was the score of the High Point game,did we lose?

Yeah they lost 13-4. They were flat yesterday. Not a good time to lose momentum with only 2 games to play before the State Tournament. Hopefully they bounce back today.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Sussex Tech, should be batting practice,Go Tigers !

Today is Mountain Lakes.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Here's a look at where Hackettstown stands in the overall NJAC (all-divisions) rankings.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/8315544396361713559/northwest-jersey-athletic-conference-baseball-rankings-for-monday-may-11/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Where is Mountain Lakes in the standings? Tigers should be on cruise control now,

They're 10-10 so I would think the Tigers would beat them.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

don't count your chickens before they hatch.

BaseballGuy BaseballGuy
May '15

Tigers lost their third game in a row dropping a 3-2 decision to Mountain Lakes however; the team can clinch the conference title tomorrow at home, head on over and support them as they try to clinch and get prepared for the State Tournament next week!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

Who are they playing Wednesday? Sussex?

2015 Hackettstown HS Varsity Baseball - schedule, standings, box scores, etc:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/school/hackettstown-hackettstown/baseball/

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/school/hackettstown-hackettstown/baseball/schedule/

Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex Baseball:
http://www.hunterdonwarrensussex.org/baseball_tournament2.html

**Yes, according to the schedule from NJ.com, the HHS Tigers are playing Sussex Tech today, 5/13**

May '15

I guess some chickens were counted !!!

Missrx Missrx
May '15

metsman - you cant just go on won-loss record. look at mountain lakes schedule. they play a mean schedule - ours cannot compare.

iwasthere iwasthere
May '15

Better teams make you better, brings the Tigers level of play up! Playing Sussex Tech,is like playing Babe Ruth leagues ! But this game might give them there heart back !

Or maybe they just need to get their fire back. I wasn't there but I can tell you they were checked out playing High Point. The same fire they had playing all season was lost after dropping the game to Pope John. They need to wake up. I don't care what kind of schedule Mountain Lakes has. If they're 10-10 they weren't the better team. The Tigers beat a good team like Lenape with their ace on the mound.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

And perhaps also Mountain Lakes had their ace throwing. That can change the dynamic of a game too. I wasn't there so I don't know.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

The record (10-10) or any record (20-0) does not always tell you how good or bad a team is. Who a team lost or won against speaks more volume. High School sports are usually judged by geography. Mt. Lakes might have been 10-10 but Morris County baseball plays a better brand of ball than Warren County. Florida, Oklahoma, Texas could have HS football teams that are 0-9, but will still beat a NJ team that is 10-0. Why? Because in those states HS football is very competitive. I am NOT saying H'town is not good, but who you play speaks more volume than ones record. Being a Mets fan Metsman (I am also) you should know the better record does not automatically means you win, as in 1969 WS v Orioles (sorry Andy) or Giants v undefeated Pats in SB

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

Things will get better over time,Tigers are going Div.3 and you will see the difference this football season! Hackettstown population has grown,and thats why they are moving up.They should have moved up last year.When they start playing Div 3 schools the competition , is big! As they say,any given Saturday anyone can win.If you saw the Roxbury baseball team this year, you know what I mean.This is why the feeder programs need to get on the same page with the high school.Div 4 is even tougher,even there bench can win championships. Keep punching,these are growing pains!

Clyde my point is most likely a few of those losses were to bad teams. I'm sure they got beat by good teams. The Tigers lost their momentum which happens in baseball. Look at the Mets start and now they're struggling to score runs.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

lobo you have referenced HHS moving to group 3 several occasions and several threads. How do you know that is going to happen?

tigerfan tigerfan
May '15

Some of the players were very ill while playing Pope John. They will be back!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

What did they have Hot Corner, cuz my son is sick today?

Metsman Metsman
May '15

lobo must have some spot-on enrollment projections?

Even at that, I'm not aware of any firm number that makes a team a Group 2 or 3 ...
the state just wants to have the same number of schools in each section and group, so you really have to just wait and see what section and group you fall into.

Warren Hills is usually a 3, but recently they were moved into Central Group 3 for the football playoffs ... Phillipsburg has often moved from 3 to 4 and also from North 2 to North 1 on occasion...

if anyone has a crystal ball regarding this stuff, I tip my hat to him.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Also some schools are Grp 3 for football, but are Grp 4 for basketball, then back to Grp 3 for baseball. Also just because your school moves up a group doesn't mean suddenly the kids get better. They are what they are. I do agree about the Feeder program comment.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

The bigger the student body, the more you have to pick from,which can give you depth.! The football team already knows there going Group 3 this year,not sure which conference yet.The moving back and forth at playoff time depends on power points,it is quite the process.Tigers had a great year so far,keep it up,I hope they have some players returning,and not all Graduating.

Carrida, Franco, Castellano, Arcona, Hall, Stewart, Snyder, and Buchanan are the only returning players next year. So there are like 8 roster spots up for grabs. The offense and defense should be good, but the pitching will be a question mark. Proufilias and Engels are graduating and those are big shoes to fill on the mound. They are the aces of the team. They're supposed to experiment with kids during the Legion season and see how they do on the mound. Hopefully some of the JV and Freshman step up next year and fill in some gaps.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

The bigger the student body, the more you have to pick from,which can give you depth.! The football team already knows there going Group 3 this year,not sure which conference yet.The moving back and forth at playoff time depends on power points,it is quite the process.Tigers had a great year so far,keep it up,I hope they have some players returning,and not all Graduating.

LoBo

Yes you have more to pick from, but that doesn't mean the more the better the players. More is just a number, doesn't equate to talent. Also there is no moving back & forth at playoff time. On day 1 if you are group 2, you are group 2 the whole season. They don't change you during the season. Power Points are for within your group, to determine seeding for playoffs. Thats why the PP come out after week 3. Not sure where you get your info from.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

The school isn't sure which conference the football team is going to be playing in when the season starts less than four months from now? I find that hard to believe.

ianimal ianimal
May '15

They know the conference, but may not know exactly which section of the group, which really only pertains to state playoffs, to who you play during the regular season.

I understand that it was Strep (Metsman) but they won today and are in 1st place. Way to go TIGERS!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Clyde is the voice of reason here, doing his best to confront all the misinformation.

When the season starts, you know what group/section you are in.

The power points determine your seeding.

More is not necessarily better. You have more kids to choose from, you may get lucky and find a D-1 blue chip talent in there somewhere, but it really comes down to a good program with good coaching ... getting kids to buy in and believe so they will do the rigorous off-season work they need to get better.

If you want local success, P'burg is the model -- find out what works there and ...
JUST DO IT.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Hackettstown has won soccer state championships in Group 3 (2001) and Group 2 (last fall) so it can be done, folks, wherever you are group and section wise.

They did it with a real class coach who built a solid program.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Andy your right again,P'burg is the model in this area. A good training program in off season is the key! West Morris is another well run sports program,pride does matter.

Anyone know when the state tournament starts?

Metsman Metsman
May '15

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-704793842337793709/2015-njsiaa-baseball-tournament-key-dates/

Here is the bracket for the top seeded Tigers! If the boys go on a 4 game win streak they take home the title!

1 Hackettstown
16 Newark Tech
May 18

9 Lyndhurst
8 Science Park
May 18

5 Whippany Park
12 Leonia
May 18

13 Newark Central
4 Hanover Park
May 18

3 Rutherford
14 Caldwell
May 18

11 Arts
6 Madison
May 18

7 Harrison
10 Parsippany
May 18

15 Fort Lee
2 Bernards
May 18

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

I hope Newark Tech aren't like those jokers from Bloomfield Tech. One kid from that team ran behind the backstop to try and distract our pitcher. And they kept taunting Carrida in Spanish when he was pitching. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Where was the Umpire?

IDK... He didn't even say anything to them. They were very rowdy.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

The Tigers hope to start their run at a state sectional title tomorrow at home against Newark tech at 4:00! Head on out and support them!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

Fort Lee may be late for its game at Bernards ... traffic jam LOL

Good luck, Tigers. I've been assigned West Morris at Mendham today, but I'll be with the Tigers in spirit.

I have a selfish reason to root for the Tigers, even though as a journalist I'm supposed to be detached and impartial ... if the Tigers win the state championship it will force WRNJ to give it some coverage, and recognize the existence of sports other than football.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Tigers win like the #1 seed would be expected to! 19-4 most of the starters were out after the 3rd inning. The boys play Lyndhurst in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 4:00 at home! It was nice to see a good crowd for the first round, come out again and support the team on Thursday.

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

I actually think it was a smaller crowd than usual. Maybe the Newark parents didn't come

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Team had like 10 doubles was ridiculous. Would have been a much higher score. Poyer held kids up to not make it massacre.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

That's why they have a mercy rule.

West Morris won 3-1 and their southpaw pitcher reminded me of Tom Glavine (the one who pitched for the Braves, not the Mets).

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Sounds like batting practice,how did Newark Tech make it to the playoffs?

Lol I don't know Lobo, their fielding was horrible! They did have some speed though.

GREAT WORK TIGERS !!!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Should be a good match up, Tiger bats vs. Chris Camilo (more than likely) from Lyndhurst.

Yer Out
May '15

Newark brought zero fans, they only had 9 players but they never gave up even after trailing by 19; tough game Thursday against a Lyndhurst team we lost to the last 2 times we were in the Sectionals but i am confident in our Tigers who are now 17-5!

Big sports fan Big sports fan
May '15

Andy, as a Mets fan, I must ask you not to never mention that name again; nor shall a player who's name rhymes with Barlos Celtran be mentioned.

May '15

I remember throwing my shoe at the TV in 2006 Reggie. Lol

Metsman Metsman
May '15

"Maybe the Newark parents didn't come."

If they ever read Hackettstown Life, it's certainly understandable.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '15

Sometimes the post-season heroes are someone you would not expect.

The Orioles have Tito Landrum.

I met him a couple of years ago at a scholarship fundraiser in Bethlelem.

He was surprised I knew who he is, after over 30 years. I simply said, "I'm an Orioles fan, you are our Bobby Thomson, our Chris Chambliss, our Joe Carter."

Made his day. He bought me a drink.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Nick Pixley showed up among yesterday's statewide stat leaders in three batting categories ...

RBIs - 4

runs - 3

doubles -2

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

He's hobbling around though. Hopefully he didn't make his hamstring injury worse by playing yesterday. He tweaked it in the Lenape game.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Andy, as a Mets fan, I must ask you not to never mention that name again; nor shall a player who's name rhymes with Barlos Celtran be mentioned.

Reggie Voter

lol, Reggie V, you have to admit that curve ball thrown to (won't mention name lol) was one of the nastiest curves you will ever see.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

newsflash, no one is going pro stop living your dreams through the kids, 85 miles an hour not going division 1, not going to county college, i know i through 86, and if your son was bullied reggie voter, dont listen to these jerks trust me if it were there kid they would be crying, these days bullying leads to very bad outcomes

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

Jt 16 I knew a guy who threw 87 and was a walk on for Rutgers so if you have other pitches that are good a program will take you.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Dave McNally (a kid from Montana where they don't even have high school baseball) never threw 90 mph and won 20 games four seasons in a row, for the Orioles.

He knew how to pitch. He would get out Hall of Fame hitters like Yaz, Reggie Jackson, Killebrew, (Pete Rose and Johnny Bench in the World Series) with pin-point location. But he'd just joke about it when reporters tried to get him to comment on "location."

He'd say, "...yeah, I'm in the right location. You can't get them out, unless you throw from the pitcher's mound. The umps don't let you pitch from any other location."

If you know how to pitch, and keep your head about you, you can make it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

I believe I heard from one of Cole Kimball's HS teammates that he only threw 80 something until he hit college. Then he spiked up to like 96.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

You are correct. He was very much a work in progress in his teens. A scout told me the first time he watched Cole pitch in college, on the radar-gun he started out throwing 92 and dropped to the 80s as he got tired.

A year later, he was blowing them away with 95-plus.

In the low minors, they taught him a change of pace, and suddenly he was unhittable in Double-A and Triple-A.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

I don't remember any scouts going to games to watch Cole Kimball in high school.

There would have been some buzz if they did.

Cole developed pitching during the summer, after he graduated from HHS.

Jon Lucas of Hackettstown pitched A-ball in the Blue Jays organization for a few years, out of Wagner College, and he never threw a blazing fastball.

Right now, Kyle Petty of Phillipsburg is playing A ball for the Mariners' Bakersfield team in the California League. He pitched in college but now is a first baseman and catcher. Growing up he played a lot of different positions.

A scout watched yesterday's West Morris-Mendham game. He was sitting there in his lawn chair, and left in the sixth inning. As he started walking off, I yelled to him, "anybody impress you?" He said, yeah, one or two guys, and kept going.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Andy are you coming to the next game?

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Hope so. I never know, because I often get assigned games in Pa., Morris, Hunterdon ... whatever.

It's not always baseball, either, I've had to do softball, lacrosse, track .... but I definitely prefer baseball.

But I've said I certainly want to be there for the section final, because I've been there the other times they got that far.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Well come down to the 1st base line. That's where I'll be if you come.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I like being a "bleacher bum" in those seats atop the right field hill.

It's a different view than you get at other fields, but don't worry, I'm hard to miss.

Even Boog Powell once said to me, "You're a big guy, and I don't say that to many people."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Big thank you for the HS baseball team taking time to come coach our t-ball team tonight. The kids had a blast! Good luck tomorrow guys

Darwin Darwin
May '15

Darwin thanks for sharing that picture! The varsity team is a good bunch of kids and Coach Poyer is doing them a great service by having them participate and contribute within the community! Good luck Tigers!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

The players were great with the kids and seemed to be having as much fun as the little ones. My son was so thrilled and asked if he can go to the game to see his "new friends" play. Small stuff like this just shows what a great community we live in. Top class tigers.

Darwin Darwin
May '15

That's what it is all about, community.

Phillipsburg, North Warren, Belvidere, and Warren Hills all bit the dust in state tournament play on Monday.

Hackettstown is the last Warren County team still standing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Did not hear anything on WRNJ (the LOCAL station) about Hackettstown playing a state tournament game at home today.

They did give us the Associated Press rip and read material about the Mets, Yankees, the New York Rangers (etc.) .... even told us Russ Long will keep us up to date on this afternoon's Mets game ...

News flash ... WOR 710 AM does the play-by-play.

If anybody wants to call WRNJ with this afternoon's final Hackettstown score, their in-studio number is 852-1234. Maybe Russ will put it on ... I stopped doing that sort of thing for free a long time ago.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Come on out to todays Quarterfinal. Should be a good one. Go Tigers!

Metsman Metsman
May '15

If anybody wants to call WRNJ with this afternoon's final Hackettstown score, their in-studio number is 852-1234. Maybe Russ will put it on ... I stopped doing that sort of thing for free a long time ago.

Andy Loigu

They should cover the game themselves. After all they are, as they say "The Local Station" Isn't this the same station that covered LIVE I might add, the Hackettstown Men's Softball league games. REALLY smh and every other part of my body lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

Awesome win Tigers!!! Way to battle Tyler P.!!!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

They can come on Tuesday ! Great win way to work hard on mound timely 2 out hits - nice win

Tigerfan Tigerfan
May '15

Great win and some comedy relief from the bleacher creatures. Lol

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Lol yes the bleacher section kept it interesting to say the least. Saw no signs of RNJ or Russ Long....... oh yeah, he was on the air at that time.... maybe he could do a live feed next Tuesday !?!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Andy was there

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Great win for the Tigers! I just saw them back out on the practice field this morning preparing to face Whippany Park on Tuesday at home in the section semi-finals! They faced a really good pitcher yesterday and came up with the timely hits with runners on base and received a terrific pitching performance by our starter Tyler Prouflias in front of an impressive crowd to advance!

As noted the next game is Tuesday at home at 4:00 against Whippany Park!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

The team is resilient and they don't get down on themselves.

The old phrase "mentally tough" applies here.

Carida reminds this old Orioles fan of Mark Belanger with his fielding plays, just when you need them.

Pixley's game-breaking double was the Turning Point of the Game. If you know the Turning Point of the Game call WRNJ tomorrow morning and win .... aaah, why should I give them any good ideas for free? It would be a good way to dish out those Land of Make Believe tickets, or Jazz in July at Centenary.

A lot of drama yesterday, WRNJ does not know what they are missing.

Never too late to join the bandwagon.

Fenway has the monster, Camden Yards has the warehouse, the Tigers have Hackettstown Hill.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Some old slogans from old Orioles' souvenir scorecard booklets that apply to the Hackettstown state games ...

Two is company but a crowd has more fun

The more noise you make, the more noise we'll make

You make the magic happen

These are exciting times, you've got to be here.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

threre a few guys who made it throwing below 90, tommy glavine and a few others so the odds are like 4 billion to one, everyone just be realistic, metsman, i did go to rutgers like 30 years ago, my best pitch was a knuckle curve, i spotted my fastball, had a change up and a curve. still didnt make it, but even if i did, the odds of ever going pro are pretty low even if you have alot of talent

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

Who's talking about going pro? Lol... If you think colleges have guys all throwing 95 then you're delusional.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Before we all went off on tangents, myself included, the main focus was on going to college to play.

It's a shame Warren County Community College dropped sports. We had a blueprint for a ball field on campus drawn up.

Now almost 20 years have gone by and so many Warren County kids have gone to places like Sussex, Morris, Northampton and Raritan Valley to play.

We could have had a very good baseball team here over the years, looking at all the good baseball that has been played in this county. And the "late bloomers" could have transferred and done well at four-year schools.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Interesting conversation. From my experience, velocity is overrated with the BBCOR bat at the college level. 88 - 92 with movement and an effective secondary pitch works just fine, especially when playing DII, III or JUCO. The elite power DI arms 95+ will get a pitcher on scouts' radar, but you can win without out it at the college level. Unlike college football, baseball scouts find the kid who was a late bloomer or slipped through the cracks with electric stuff at the lower levels of college baseball.

Most average high school pitchers throw between 78 - 83. There is a noticeable difference between the average HS pitcher and the above average pitcher who can throw 84 - 89. 90 is often mistaken for mid to upper 80's at the high school level.
Only a hand full of pitchers in this area hit 90 mph in high school.

Andy, I agree it is ashamed that WCC no longer has baseball. I would really like to see Centenary get a home field in town too!

Yer Out
May '15

Sports gets short shrift in this county ... a lot of powerful decision makers around these parts see no use for it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Game is on for tomorrow right? What are the rules for a rain out in this playoff round?

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

The team spent a good part of this holiday afternoon practicing on Dimicelli field. From what I understand, the had a very special (and very talented) batting practice pitcher. Cole Kimball, the former MLB pitcher who went to HHS and Centenary threw for the entire team getting them prepared for the huge games in front of them!

Should the game be postponed, it will be made up on Wednesday at 4 to my knowledge.

Hope you all head over to support our Tigers in their quest for the Group 2 Section 2 championship!

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
May '15

Was Cole throwing 97, the way he did the last time I saw him pitch?

He got saves in back to back games at Coca Cola Park in Allentown against the IronPigs, that was in Triple-A about a month before he got called up.

I've been assigned a softball semifinal, Voorhees at West Morris.

If Cole's at Hackettstown, tell him I said hello and wish him well.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Andy if he were throwing that in bp no one could hit it. Lol

Metsman Metsman
May '15

The chalk has played out on the other side of the bracket.

Should the Tigers win today (as I expect they will) they get either the number two or three seed on Friday ... that's the way it should be.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Tigers win 6-1! On to state final!

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Congrats on a great result and a great team. Doesn't matter if they win in the finals or not, they can be proud of their championship spirit and effort.

Looks like it will be versus Bernards on Friday at 4pm. Saw they beat Rutherford 5-0.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

NJSIAA North 2, Group 2 Semi-Final (5/26/2015)

Hackettstown 6 - Whippany Park 1

I hope you enjoy the article, photos and video:

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalleylive.com/news/article/1555803592009127042/hackettstown-baseball-team-tops-whippany-park-in-north-2-group-2-semifinals-behind-matt-engels/

Go Tigers!!

May '15

It's not the state final, it's the sectional final, but what the heck,

what's a little bit of putting the cart before the horse (or whatever)

something to be happy about anyway!

More challenges ahead, the season continues ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Yesterday's game really showed the heart and soul that the Tigers have! Way to battle boys!!! Keep on grinding!!!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Baseball championships are decided at the Group level, right? If the Tigers win their section, they move on to the Group semifinals?

ianimal ianimal
May '15

Was kind of funny, there was this really loud guy rooting for Whippany Park. I felt like telling him to STFU the whole game. He blamed the home plate umpire for the loss after the game. I just shook my head. They scored 1 run. You're really going to blame the umpire over a close pitch not going your way... Accept the fact that a good team beat you.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Yes, baseball and softball do play out to real state championships in their groups.

Someone with scouting credentials asked me what I know about Hackettstown ...
I said I've only been able to see a couple of games, but what really stands out about them is their infield defense.

I said they don't have overpowering pitching, but they are bulldogs who know how to pitch. The team as a whole is well coached and unselfish, they can put a run together when they need it playing small ball, when pitchers are wild they take their walks, and when the pitchers make mistakes, they crush it.

He said he'll "probably be" at the next game. Those guys don't really believe anything until they see it for themselves, anyway. I'm honored that he asked my opinion.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Engels and Proufilias hit their spots. They mix their pitches up well. It also helps to be solid at every position too.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I can appreciate Metsman's feelings toward that particular fan ... there are plenty of them everywhere.

High school basketball, when both teams are mediocre, is the worst.

Most of these parents don't know basketball, and it shows in the way their kids play.

The fans complain about every call and non-call, even though I find the refereeing to be fair and pretty good.

The best fans in this area are the wrestling fans ... NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Yeah I walked past the loud guy and a couple of other parents afterwards. All were complaining. That at bat got the bottom of the 6th rolling. So ok even if the umpire missed a call, that doesn't account for Whippany imploding after that. I could argue that the potential first run for Hackettstown that was called out at the plate got under the tag. There's no crying in baseball!

Metsman Metsman
May '15

It was over 40 years ago, but my high school basketball coach always told us about the referees ...

if you made as few mistakes as they do, you'd never lose a game.

Funny experience once, the game was going up and down the court and I got the feeling the referee called a foul just to slow it down ... I didn't think I fouled, but I didn't want to be called for a tech in a big game.

The ref was breathing kind of heavy, and I said, "tough on the heart, eh?"

He says, "don't have one. Two shots."

There was only one other time I can remember that I ever talked to a ref during a game.

48 years later, I can appreciate that guy!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Lol great story!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Well at least it didn't include Alex Ochoa. Lol

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I've told my Alex Ochoa stories already ... he was better than you think ... I never said he's a Hall of Famer, but he certainly would get more playing time in today's non-steroid game.

Would you rather have the Ochoa who played with the Reds and Angels as your 4th OF or Mayberry/Niewenhuis (however he spells it)? The Angels traded for him in 2002 at the deadline for outfield depth and he started several games in August, including big games against the Yankees ... if you want, I could go through the box scores and count how many games he started. The guy has a ring.

Well, I've seen Bernards in the Skyland Conference and they play good baseball, a worthy opponent. Looking forward to a great game.

They lost several seniors from last year's championship team, but here they are, back again, so you know it is a solid program.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Hope there will be a huge crowd today. The boys deserve the support, time for all the "bleacher bums" to show up in force! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Everybody who comes, player, coach, or fan, will remember this game the rest of their lives.

It's a championship game and that is something very special.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Yeah those guys in the bleachers need to be in top form today. LOL... They were great against Lyndhurst. A little too quiet against Whippany Park.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

the steroid era, everyone knows sucked except for yankee fans, it was different for there guys, it was ok, they were allowed, like clemens throwing the bat at piazza, real class act, there is a reason you dont hear from that asshole anymore. and andy i did it once petite, come on really, what a load, as far as im concerned that whole 2000 world series was a farce, the mets probably could not have beat them without the steroids, the yanks cheated and to me that dont count and you can say what you want but i dont count it and you cant take it away from me, its like it didnt exist, and the stupid fans still cheer arod, who has less class the fans or arod

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

There's another Alex we can talk about, A-Rod.

Every time he swings the bat he reaches another monumental milestone..

oh boy, aren't we all excited?

I'd rather watch those kids from Hackettstown. I'll be sad whenever their season ends, hopefully not for another week.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Looks like Bernards has a Rutgers bound kid Luke Bowerbank. He's highly touted. Wonder if he will be pitched around. He is on the verge of breaking his schools all time hits record.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Tough loss 3-1. Hold your heads high Tigers, you had a great season!

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Yeah tough loss. Witnessed 3 bad calls on the bases.... its a shame to go out like that...
it was a super season and one to be proud of!!! Great Team, Great season!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

I was told Bowerbank got that record in their last game. He stole two bases, the team stole five bases in five tries --- two of them scored on timely hits.

Hackettstown did not put any hits together off Bowerbank, that's why they lost. A runner getting picked off base did not help, either.

There go people blaming the umps again.

The team has so much to be proud about, a season of 19 wins and lots of accomplishment. Don't go spoiling Hackettstown's reputation as a nice town by griping about umpires.

What I saw after the game was a disgrace. I hang around after a game, interview coaches and players and get all the tidbits of info I can --- while I was doing that some of the rightfield crowd waited for the Bernards team to come walking up that hill to get to their bus --- and they started shouting insults at them. If those Bernards kids were not well raised in good families, it could have turned ugly.

Somebody was yelling real loud, "you guys always get things handed to you, you got handed that game because you're rich kids."

Um, I don't think the umpires intentionally handed that game to anybody, favored anybody. On the seventh inning play at first base, Bowerbank busted his butt to get there and cover. If the batter had run as hard to first as the pitcher did, it would not have been a close play.

And Hackettstown still needed TWO runs to tie, and did not look like they were going to get them off that pitcher.

Come on, Hackettstown. You're better than that!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Hackettstown Baseball Team Hosts Bernards in the 2015 North 2 Group 2 title game: http://ow.ly/ND8XP

May '15

Andy, Pezzato was safe. Tie goes to the runner. Even so the offense was weak. These were pitchers they could hit. They put too much pressure on themselves. Also made stupid mistakes in the field.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Andy just to let you know the right field crowd of which I was one for all the playoff games had dispersed me being the last one, if anyone was shouting insults at Bernards it came from the group of parents standing around in center field some of whom were smoking cigarettes after the game, board of ed members were in right field and were not involved in any shenanigans after the game, please be careful when you accused people!

big sports fan big sports fan
May '15

Poyer said he thought the ump missed the call, but he still said Bernards deserved to win the game because the Tigers did not hit.

Bowerbank made a great play, though, with his hustle, to make it a close play.

I don't think the ump made the wrong call on purpose because Bernards is 'rich kids.'

Those stupid kids attacking the umpires' integrity because they didn't like a call, and confronting the team when it was like 20 minutes after the game? That's looking for trouble, NOT good sportsmanship, does dishonor to the school.

Reminds me of an old Leo Durocher quote, "I've never questioned the umpires' integrity. Their eyesight, yes. Integrity, no."

19 wins and reaching the section final is a wonderful, wonderful season.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Nick Scalera, think you can bring video replay equipment to the games next year, so we can review calls?

Is high school baseball coming to this?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Andy your right about the taunting ( missed that because I left quietly, lol) it is unacceptable.
The call at home where the player clearly slid under the tag. A play at second where the defensemen clearly missed the bag. The final bad call was on John at first.
Ok with that said the Tigers gathering momentum was stopped short.
No instant replay needed.....maybe wet the infield down ? ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

I know what I saw and heard, it was students. I would testify to that in court under oath.

I'd tell those students, that's no way to talk to your future employers. HA HA

Trash talk during the game, I can understand. Some of it was even funny and amusing.

But when the game is over, it is over ... and it was premeditated, they waited for the team to come walking by on their way to the bus.

They know who they are.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Nobody likes to lose a game on bad calls, but sometimes it happens.

Accepting a result is part of growing up.

Assuming there was some kind of motivation and purpose to said calls, is stupid.

Mistakes happen in life.

I hope one or two of those kids takes the challenge and becomes an umpire or referee in his favorite sport... if they are willing to study, prepare, and work for the low pay ... then they will see the other side of it.

I wonder if I will ever see anyone give a game back, because they won on a bad call ... think that would ever happen?

And even if the calls had gone the Tigers' way, still no guarantee they would have won the game, the way they were not hitting. They left a small village on the base paths, who is to blame for that?

Feel bad for Nick Pixley, he tried so hard to play, heart goes out to him.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Those kids almost got into a fight with parents from Mt. Olive last Fall during the wood bat league championship. But in that instance the parents were the jerks. They didn't like that they were heckling the right fielder. One parent called a kid an ahole and some other inappropriate stuff. The kid was ready to pounce the guy. His friends had to hold him back.

And yesterday we got into it with a guy from Bernards who was complaining about Pixley taking too long to get off the field. If it was his kid he wouldn't be saying anything. The parents were complaining left and right about balls and strikes too. They obviously had no concept of what the strike zone is.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

Anybody complaining about Pixley is definitely a jerk.

I've mentioned before, that almost 50 years ago, we had bricks thrown through the windows of our bus, because we had black kids on the team ... the home crowd was complaining about the referees all game long... and "(n-word) lover" was heard over and over ... and those fans/parents did not have a clue about the rules.

That night was really bad, because there were attitudes about race involved.

There have and always will be jerks ... just glad the kids on that Bernards team held their tempers. They were carrying bats, y'know. Often, the behavior of the players is better than that of the parents.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

Did anyone else see the first pitcher for Bernards, make a double move to his glove during his wind up?
Not trying to start anything, just wondering....

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

He walked four batters and they got him out of there ... good coaching move, the Tigers definitely would have won if they let that kid stay in. He had no command of his pitches, didn't know where they were going.

Bowerbank walked hitters, too, the Tigers left nine guys on base. NINE.

They never got a big hit.

It's too bad the NJSIAA can't do baseball the way the colleges do, with the double elimination format. Too many games, I suppose, and you'd need pre-arranged super regional sites, etc. etc. And if you want good umpires, you'd need to pay them.

You see good teams struggle against bad teams in the majors, it takes a lot of games for the best team to emerge in baseball ---and it is not like softball, where you can put your ace pitcher out there every game -- if teams are somewhat equal in ability, ANYTHING can happen in a baseball game --- and usually does.

The Orioles were victimized by several horrible calls in the 1969 World Series --- nobody except Earl Weaver seemed to care. They got over it and won it the next year --- let the orange and black Tigers take an example from that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

So did you see the double move to his glove????

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

Never heard about it until now, and I talked to the coaches after the game.

Too bad there's no video.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

It was a slight move but still noticeable from the outfield.

One of the kids in the bleachers did take some video of the game, how much? Im not sure. My son said he saw the clip of John pezzato making it to the bag before the catch.

Like you said, we will have to get over it and get em next year.

Hot corner Hot corner
May '15

A couple of one-hoppers off the fence and a bomb over it, at the right time, and we wouldn't be talking about any of this --- we'd be getting ready for the next game.

Those controversial calls all came on weakly hit balls that did not get out of the infield.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '15

My son and I noticed too many taking the first pitch strike and in some instances it's over the fat part of the plate. If they put it on a tee for you then swing. This is especially so with men on base. The outcome is what it is. There's talent coming back next year so we'll see what happens.

Metsman Metsman
May '15

I've had access to many great players over the years.

Henry Aaron once said to me, when I asked what advice he would give young players, if you get what you're looking for on the first pitch, go for it. It may be the best pitch you see the entire at bat.

Tim McCarver said, many times, if that pitcher gets a strike on the first pitch, he has the advantage. Now, he can throw HIS pitch.

Players used to like me more than the old veteran writers, because I asked questions regarding the playing of the games. "Those guys are just looking to stir up trouble," Dick Allen once said to me at Veterans' Stadium. "I don't bother with them."

I tried my best to be respectful to players, especially the ones I'd watched on TV as a teenager. Maybe that's why I never really "made it" as a sports journalist.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Check out the Cole Kimball quote on Baseball-Almanac.

Cole is in my personal Hall of Fame for cooperative and honest interviews.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=kimbaco01

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Having end of season blues, my son cleaned out his locker today.

I know it's the wrong thread Andy but I was always partial to Jackson Browne's " The Load Out". :)

GO GET EM NEXT YEAR TIGERS!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THE SENIORS IN WHAT EVER YOU DO!!!

Peace

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '15

For those who wish to keep pursuing it, there are plenty of opportunities to keep playing baseball.

When Cole Kimball graduated from HHS, his baseball story was just beginning.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

You probably have not noticed, but the Warren Reporter has not been running the Sports Chatter column recently, so I will announce the All-Warren first-team for baseball here.

P/OF -- Matt Engels, Hackettstown
P -- Tyler Prouflias -- Hackettstown
P/3B -- John Franco -- Hackettstown
P -- Vince Lubertazzo -- North Warren
Catcher -- Jon Pezzato -- Hackettstown
Infielder -- Anthony Carida -- Hackettstown
Infielder -- Henry Myerchin -- Belvidere
Infielder -- David Woodworth -- Belvidere
Infielder -- Craig Lawson -- Warren Hills
DH -- Nick Pixley -- Hackettstown
Outfielder -- Tommy Madeo -- Belvidere
Outfielder -- John Vuz -- N. Warren
Outfielder -- Evan Murray -- Warren Hills
Utility -- Kevin Merle -- Belvidere

Lawson is Player of The Year - he batted .456, .546 on-base, 10 doubles, scored 24 runs.

I feel badly for the parents who could have put First Team All-Warren County in Baseball, Warren Reporter, on their son's resume.

Well, they could say First Team All-Warren County in Baseball, Social Media.

Maybe it would have the same meaning?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Thanks for posting Andy!

notafan notafan
Jun '15

Thanks for noticing it, notafan.

I don't want to start collecting social security yet, the advice I get from everywhere is hold off on that as long as you can, but since today's younger generation is so happy with their texts and tweets and have no time for the newspaper, since they are so wrapped up in Facebook .... I'm sure they would not mind paying for it.

Just don't do that texting while you're driving, OK? I'd feel safer if you'd let it wait until you get where you are going. Thank you.

And, since WRNJ raked in the bucks all spring without giving the Hackettstown baseball and track teams anywhere near the amount of recognition they deserved, I'm sure they would not mind paying the ss for this old sports war horse either.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

A shame they take down the fence over the summer. My son has hit at least 2 balls that would have been homeruns this summer.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

We saw a Hackettstown Legion game the other day. What a horrible team - badly coached, bad offense, horrible defense.

The second baseman didn't move to cover on more than one or two plays. One of the base runners actually was safe at first, thought that he might be out and walked back toward his bench and was called out for abandoning the base! The left side of the infield is also very questionable.

Yes, the right fielder hit a long fly but it was tracked down fairly easily. He is an okay player that should probably make varsity next year. the other team hit at least two deep flies that were also caught and would usually be home runs.

The fans were even worse than the team. One beer-gut dude stood leaning against a truck the whole game and was f-bombing. My wife said, what is wrong with that guy? Answer: he is a low life. Imagine carrying on that way when there are families in earshot?

That Hackettstown American Legion team is what, 1-10 now?

Jul '15

What's going on with Legion? Heard there was a change in coaching.

Jersey Mom Jersey Mom
Jul '15

Summer baseball is just developmental ... the best thing I did for myself during the summer as a basketball player, was play in the Jersey Shore League against older guys. Our best guy was in the Philadelphia Baker League, quite an honor to be invited there.

Just as recently as 2011, a couple of Hackettstown's best baseball players pitched for the North Warren American Legion team, because the Patriots were third in the state the year before and wanted to make another run at a state title.

Summer sports are great, but nothing to get dramatic about. Certainly can't draw any conclusions or make any predictions for the next high school season from them.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

That's just it Andy. They're trying to develop players and guys like Reggie thinks it's all about winning.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

Reggie Voter, I agree with you on one point and find you a bit off base on other points.

There is a group of Hackettstown parents who absolutely a disgrace both in the way they talk about the teams players, coaches, and HS program. Sadly they all seem to think they know better than not only the summer ball coaches but the High School coaches as well. Most of these parents believe that their kids should be viewed in a more positive light in regards to their ability on the field than reality dictates. The criticism and disparaging remarks can be heard from the group no matter where one chooses to watch the game from and it does not reflect well at all on what is generally a very good and supportive fan base.

As far as the teams performance on the field, they are very young and the team has recently begun to play with more focus and in turn producing a higher quality of play.

You do seem to have an axe to grind with the Tigers however so perhaps you should just not bother yourself by watching the summer ball and instead focus on something more tolerable for you. It is a 19U league and most of the current players are 17U. The kids seem to be growing both on the field and in the dugouts when compared to other teams. The display good sportsmanship and support each other as they search for their own identity.

GoTigersGo GoTigersGo
Jul '15

Fully agree - Legion ball is now just practice ball at this level. Not sure how anyone including me would think that winning has anything to do with it. Well, except for the Flemington guy. It is purely developmental and for experience.

My son plays on a travel/tournament team that is 19U but they don't have any players over 17. They play in some pretty competitive tournaments up and down the East coast. It is rare that they face any starting pitchers throwing under 85. His team has two DI bound pitchers that sometimes hit 92. The team usually does okay but not close to winning a tourney. Some of these teams have six top notch pitchers, which is what is needed to do well at those tourneys.

I have nothing against the Tigers, years ago I coached a lot of the players that just graduated, and wish them the best. I guess that I just was tweaking Metsman because of his bragging.

As I mentioned above, go to Diamond Nation (we've already had two full tournaments there this summer) - the scouts are all behind home plate with their guns. In three years of tournaments I do not recall a scout ever talking to a position player at a tournament there. At the showcases I have seen it; that is where my son got recruited for college. At those they measure your bat exit speed, throwing speed and 60 time, then watch a two inning game. But in general, almost all schools and pro teams are looking for pitchers 6'2 and up, 85mph and up and it you have a curve-ball too, great.

Jul '15

Good post gotigersgo. Was a 5-4 game. I'd like to hear Reggie rip this game apart. You guys win by a thread. If the OK right fielder who went 3 for 4 doesn't get under a ball it's a win.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

Ron Guidry was 5-11 and 170 lbs. and he was "Louisiana Lightning," one of the all-time great Yankees' pitchers.

I'm an Orioles' fan who goes way back and remembers Tommy Phoebus, who was 5-8, but threw a no-hitter against Yaz and the Red Sox, pitched back-to-back complete-game shutouts in his first two major league starts, three consecutive complete-game shutouts the next season, and has two World Series championship rings to show for his career.

Bobby Shantz was 5-6 and 140 lbs., pitched in the majors for 15 years and won 119 games, seven of them with the 1958 World Series champion Yankees.

It can be done, if you have the heart and talent for it.

And, I've spent the better part of the last four decades in sports writing -- I avoid parents as much as possible -- the coaches wish they could, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Yes, he is a good hitter. Best of luck to him in high school ball.

There, I said it, okay? He is certainly a better hitter than he is a pitcher :)

Jul '15

Andy, just a quick look at the MLB rosters and you will probably not find a single pitcher under 5'11", and most are 6'2" and up (yes, I know that they add an inch or two.) Of course there are exceptions but 99% of the recruiting is done "by the book" these days.

Jul '15

He's hit or miss as a pitcher. This is the first year he's pitched in a long time. They're trying to develop him for next year. He pitched against Tri-State Arsenal's 17U team in a tournament last month and held his own. That team is stacked.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

Yes, he wasn't bad at all pitching. Geez, take some kidding. The kid is good and really, if it were my kid, if you haven't already, I'd concentrate on showcases to get his numbers on the books and tournaments for better competition.

This Legion league is a joke really. The guy that runs it is really a pain in the neck. We've been dealing with him for a couple of years now. Good luck facing him and his undefeated, out for blood Flemington team tonight in the double header. It would be great if you guys could pull out a win or two.

My dad played Legion ball in the late fifties on Long Island and it was invitation only, elite baseball. Now it is, do we have enough guys to play tonight?

Jul '15

I knew you were kidding. Just made a statement that he's so-so as a pitcher right now. He's either got it or he doesn't.

He's got 4 more tournaments this summer. Scouts do attend them. I'll look into showcases over the winter. He did one last winter.

I look at Legion as a time to work on things and get extra ABs for his tournaments. No one cares if you win in a Legion league. Tonight should be fun for some laughs if this Flemington guy is that intense.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

Way back in what seems like a previous lifetime, we had guys (including me) go away with our families for a couple of weeks at a time for vacations, during the summer.

We did have the courtesy to schedule those vacations in such a manner that the coach of our summer basketball team always had at least seven players for each game.

It worked out well, because every night that you showed up, you knew you were going to play.

By the way, Glen Perkins of the Twins is 5-11, Kirby Yates of Tampa is 5-10, Johnny Cueto of Cincinnati is 5-10, Gio Gonzalez of the Nationals is 5-11, as is Sonny Gray of the A's ... but most of em are 6-2 and over.

Outfielder Shane Victorino (the Flyin Hawaiian) is just 5-9, and he was of great value to two World Series winning teams.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

A decent general guideline is at https://www.triplecrownsports.com/includes/Baseball_RecruitingGuidelines.pdf

ken e
Jul '15

Jarrod Washburn (Wisconsin - Oshkosh) was the last Division III pitcher to be both the opening day starter and World Series opening game starter for a major league team (the 2002 Angels).

Our own Cole Kimball made the big leagues, drafted out of Division III Centenary.

The fact that both guys threw in the 90s and also developed other pitches, kinda helped.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.