Hackettstown train station

Can anyone tell me how much it is to park in the lot for the day?

lysa98 lysa98
Mar '15

Zero. Nada.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Mar '15

Really...Wow. thank you

lysa98 lysa98
Mar '15

Just check the schedule and don't be a late arriver or you will be sitting in that free spot a long time until the next train...

And remember that you can't park overnight --- bummer.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '15

Thank you so much. I'm excited, now I can travel to NYC yay.

lysa98 lysa98
Mar '15

As long as it is not the weekend. There are no weekend trains from Hackettstown.

and if you do get a train, make sure you leave plenty of time to get into NYC there are about 150 stops :)

brown bear
Mar '15

Dover for directs and week-ends.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '15

150 stops lol...I noticed the martz bus doesn't go into the city on weekends either.

lysa98 lysa98
Mar '15

Lakeland Bus from Rockaway Mall does weekends, if I'm not mistaken.

BusGuy BusGuy
Mar '15

The train out of Hackettstown doesn't go directly to NYC. You have to switch over somewhere. Not sure exactly where. Penn Station maybe.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '15

Lakeland Bus goes every 30 minutes to NYC on Saturdays from bus terminal in Dover and every hour on Sunday. Free parking. You can park overnight on your own risk. Cheaper than train also.

There are Martz bus runs on Saturdays and Sundays that go to NYC.....they leave from the 7-11 at the Panther Valley retail complex on Route 517......you can get schedules and tickets at the 7-11....it's the official ticket vendor, I believe......get your tickets in advance by getting there kinda early before the bus arrives.....the bus drivers don't like when you purchase a ticket from them, and they have to make change for you, etc., understandably........it arrives at Port Authority in NYC....the ticket price the last time I went, about a year ago, was $49 round trip.....

Ejvind Ejvind
Mar '15

@botheredbyuu2 You can either change over trains in Dover or ride all the way to Hoboken and take the PATH.

Patrick O. Patrick O.
Mar '15

Thanks Patrick O. I knew there was a change over somewhere. : )

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '15

Martz bus is much faster than the train. Martz from PV to Port Authority about an hour.
Train from Hackettstown to Hoboken, about 2 hours and then 20 mins from Path to NYC.

You can park overnight. I do all the time.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '15

To go to NYC , I prefer to drive to North Bergan Park and ride located at 101 Paterson Plank Road, Secaucus, NJ 07094, then you take a NJ transit bus to NYC, no stops, and my little kids rides for free on the weekend-holidays, parking and round trip ticket I think is $9:50 another adult person just ticket to ride the bus, I think it's $6, I never park there on weekdays, but from me this work better,

Tinkodinko Tinkodinko
Mar '15

You are welcome botheredbyuu2

Patrick O. Patrick O.
Mar '15

North Bergen park and ride is the absolute best. All the benefits of driving (speed and lack of stops for pick ups) and then jump on a bus so close to the tunnel that they have to go west just to get on the bus lane! It's also cheap (but it's an additional 9.50 if you park overnight, not sure what happens if it's two nights). When I was walking distance from port authority I took it every day. (If you plan on using it a lot, get the stored value cards, the gate will print your bus ticket and you don't have to go inside)

Brendan Brendan
Mar '15

To Ejvind
There is NO bus service from Panther Valley to NYC on weekends.
Martz stops there Mon-Fri only

why do they leave out Dover - West train stations on the weekends. i would love to take a trip to morristown for a saturday night, but cant.

yourATTguy
Mar '15

anyone know if rail service thru NJ transit has a monthly fare into NY?

Why does the train Engineer have to lay on the HORN so LOUD at 4:30 through 8am ?

So of the Engineers are a bit more considerate do use a light toot, but there are two different Engineers that really lay on the horn sounding like a freight train going 100 miles an hour through our little town.

I miss the tranquilly our town once had......

Frustrated Frustrated
Apr '17

Ahh yes, tranquility that's been disturbed for about 23 years since the station opened.

btownguy btownguy
Apr '17

The tranquility of our entire area was transformed and disturbed when Route 80 was finished, 40 + plus years ago. Gotta love progress with everything and everyone that comes with it.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '17

Hey, hey, hey.....be nice now. I can see where if one engineer toots and another blows his horn like Joshua at Jericho that I, if I lived close by, would rather the toot.

But if you really want to catch these guys, you're gonna need a stop watch: https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0889

Or before you start timing and build a schedule of toots versus blows, perhaps if you called NJ TRANSIT: (973) 275-5555 and asked politely for them to tune it down. Operators available!

Or contact them via text: https://njtransit.secure.force.com/customerservice/ContactUs

Or just stop on by at the Customer Service Desk at Hoboken or Secaucus Junction.

I would try contact choice 1 or 2 but you may want to check the specs to see if, when they comply with the federal law, that it isn't worse than you are experiencing now.

Or maybe: there ought to be a law..... http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2009/04/trains_cant_sound_whistles_in.html

I know. TMI. On to Easter Dinner.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '17

Thanks for the info, and NO, not TMI...

Frustrated Frustrated
Apr '17

We have had trains coming thru here longer then 23 years! We lived right by a whistle sign and they were all hours of the night. After a while you get use to them and sleep right thru it.

OH BTW rt. 80 helped us. Before that I remember loads of traffic backed up on rt. 46. I was a kid and that was over 50 years ago.

infogirl
Apr '17

I know you asked about Hackettstown, but the service is limited. There is a different kind that services Peapack trains are more frequent and parking is free. It's only 20 minutes.

dsl1121 dsl1121
Apr '17

@infogirl, too funny. Someone just said the same exact thing today, were you at my Easter dinner??? LOL.... apparently traffic through town was much worse then.

Scottso Scottso
Apr '17

Traffic wasn't worse, it was different. Before Rt. 80 the truck traffic through town was bumper to bumper. The side streets were not backed up as they are today. When the surrounding areas and Hackettstown decided to build baby build for the past 40 years is the cause of our side streets being backed up. It's gotten worse the past 10 yrs. The next 10 yrs. will not get any better unless we all start riding bikes :o) It is what it is, and just something we all have to live with and accept.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.