Pygmy goat in development in Mansfield

I live in a development and we want to get a pygmy goat as a pet. I called the township and got a couple different answers. Anyone know if it is allowed to have them in a development?

Jonathan Jonathan
Mar '15

I live in a development and had the same urge to own a goat many years ago. I called the township and talked to someone who waffled over the answer...neither yes or no. He did advise me they had odors and my neighbors would probably get annoyed and complain. So I didn't get a goat.

denise denise
Mar '15

unless it's a male goat the odor is not an issue if you keep it in healthy conditions. The joy of having this pet is huge and I doubt neighbors would complain unless you are in very tight quarters. We've raised them (large and pygmy) for many years and they are a joy!!!! Visit a few places that are selling them and get to know them if you aren't already aware of their day to day.....I don't think you'd be disappointed! Our kids grew up walking the goats on a leash, just as you would a dog. They loved it !!!
Best wishes and good luck.

I don't know the answer but I have a hunch the people at the Barnyard Sanctuary could help - both with regs and with finding a goat....

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Had one growing up and have wanted my own forever. Have all the information I need to raise them and keep them healthy but the only info I don't have is I'm allowed to have him. Ha. I'm assuming if my neighbor can have a 5 huge dogs who bark non stop then I can have a pygmy goat. Ha. My kid is also so excited about it. Already named him Macaroni. Ha. Thank you for your help!

Jonathan Jonathan
Mar '15

I have no info regarding goats, but just wanted to say I love the name Macaroni. I love people names and food names for pets best. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

I wish you were my neighbor lol, I love Pygmy goats!

But...you might want to consider how your goat will feel having 5 huge dogs who bark nonstop as neighbors! I'd love to have a goat as a playmate for my dog!

Davis Davis
Mar '15

If you are in Diamond Hill and live on the street that borders Donaldson's Farm, you may get away with it. In most towns though, for livestock, you need an acre for your home and another acre for the livestock. Just call the Municipal Building and ask.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Mar '15

Yeah I would definitely consider your neighbors since you live in a development. My neighbor had purchased a lamb last summer and had it in the back yard. When they were home he would let it go all over the driveway, deck, my yard, etc... The thing constantly made noise and ate everything in sight (including my flowers, plants, etc..) The worst of it was that I have 2 Terriers and my neighbors have 8 dogs total. So 10 dogs barking at the lamb every time they were outside. It was so annoying. My feeling is if you want animals like that purchase a farm.

There is no street in Diamond Hill that boarders Donaldson's Farm.

A friend of mine owns goats. She says goats are herd animals. They need to be in groups to feel safe.

Sorry SL, how 'bout the airport.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Mar '15

If calling the town hall is resulting in different answers go to the town meeting and ask the council. That way if they say yes its documented in the minutes

Just Asking Just Asking
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.