Modular 'Built' Homes

Has anyone had there home built for them this way?
Any thoughts on the idea?
Would you purchase this way if you were able to?
Do you think its safe?

Thanks

HomeOwner HomeOwner
Mar '15

We bought a modular home 25 years ago and very pleased with it and are still in it. They are very strong (2x6 walls). I assume they would have to be in order to be carried over the road. It's my understanding that they are even better today with more options. If you were to look at it you would never believe it's a modular.

Lamppost Lamppost
Mar '15

My house is a modular. I have not had any problems with it. It is safe and I would do it again.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

A modular home, in some ways, is stronger than a built-on-site. It needs to survive transportation to the site, it it'll generally be braced a bit better.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '15

My BIL and SIL have a modular. It's about 15 years old and they have had no issues.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Check, double check, triple check your foundation sizes and squareness. The rest goes pretty well then.

Old Gent Old Gent
Mar '15

How do the home values fare versus a standard home? Are there any negative perceptions of them that could keep values lower for a modular home?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Mar '15

My inlaws have one. Beautiful home. No issues. Looks just like a house built on the land from the ground up.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '15

Most of the older homes in the Highlands are modular. The garage was built on site. Mine was put up in 1987 and we bought it from the original owner in 1992. We put Central A/C in that year and the company had to do extra work because it was a modular. They said they would have charged more if they knew. We have had no issues to date.

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '15

Modular Homes have come a long way from being house trailers.You can order styles and options right from the factory. You will need a well built foundation for the home.The sections are very well built. Just make sure you use a reliiable home contractor. It is very important to have the best "Set crew " possible. Setting a modular home is very precise. Also get a site appraisal for the arrival and installation of the modular sections. After the modular sections are set its just follow through for electrical and plumbing installation.Then your town has to inspect and approve the home, before you can move in.

consumer.
Mar '15

Everything that was said above is true. But as long as you have a good contractor everything should be fine. I acted as my own GC for our house and it went well. Some popular finishes like tile fireplaces and most masonrie type finishes will need to be done after the house is set we put our house up for about $ 150000 land not included

Dadof3
Mar '15

Is Homeowners Insurance priced differently with a modular?

Also, are the banks selective in providing / offering a mortgage for a modular ?

Thnx,

Steven Steven
Mar '15

Have a friend who has a modular home, says it is very tight and warm and cozy, loves it.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Mar '15

It's the same as a stick-built structure, just built somewhere else.

music gal music gal
Mar '15

Don't forget about site work as well. Cost of home should include any land clearing, etc that needs to be done.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

check this site out. a quick google search and found a treasure trove of cool info. http://www.njmodularhomebuilder.com/

yourATTguy
Mar '15

@steven as far as I know the homeowners insurance is the same. I needed to get a construction loan and not all banks do them and I don't think you can get one from a mortgage company.

Dadof3
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.