Commuting to Parsippany

I just got hired at a company in Parsippany with flex time, looking for best times to leave to avoid traffic jams and best routes.

NewCommutor NewCommutor
Mar '15

Where in Parsippany matters a lot. 46&202 vs 46&Beverwyck vs Route 10 all have different "best routes".

You just want to leave enough time....when I commuted to Parsippany..I needed an 1.5 hrs..

josepcan josepcan
Mar '15

And all routes get loaded with traffic by 7am.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Mar '15

Congratulations on the new job! If you're a 'morning' person and the job allows I'd suggest starting as early as you can and hope to be commuting home by 3pm no matter where in Parsippany you will be. Having lived there for a long time before making the move to Mansfield (and wondering why I waited so long) there really is no alternative to sitting in traffic at some point.

Scribbler Scribbler
Mar '15

route 80 is screwed by 7am, so either give enough time to be passing ledgewood by 6:30am or leave after 8:30am

Coming home, 80 is packed between 4pm and 6pm

If fighting traffic is your thing it will take at least 1 hour during rush hour

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

An 8hour a day job quickly becomes a 10 hour+ a day job if commuting during rush hour both ways

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Mar '15

I commute to Parsippany every day, but I don't think it's quite as bad as others make it out to be. As long as you're on the road by 6:45 and leaving the office by 4, you should be good.

But like GC said, best route depends on where exactly the job is.

Darrin's advice is the same as my experience. I work in Rockaway now and leave my house at 8:30. Takes me just about 40 minutes.

I used to work on route 10 by 202. Since I'm down by Pleasant Grove, I would go down the mountain and take 24 all the way to 202 and go up that way. It still took almost an hour, but was a much more pleasant drive than sitting on rt 80 traffic.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Mar '15

Re: Commuting to Parsippany

I have been commuting to East Hanover since October, and have been tracking my daily commute. I should note that my office is at the Parsippany/East Hanover border. I began leaving at 7am, but that has crept closer to 730. I echo GC in that your route depends where in Parsippany you have to go. I average 50 minutes each way, and have my best commutes (no surprise) on holidays, school delayed openings, and overcast days without precipitation.

Rain, sun (just after sunrise in particular), snow, and accidents quickly increase the commute. That said, heavy commutes are sporadic.

Best of luck with the new job.

I live in Mansfield and commute to Parsippany (work location is off of rt 46). It's probably going to take you at least an hour on a good day if you leave your house by 7 a.m.

I leave work around 4 - traffic is already a nightmare. It doesn't really matter if you decide to take 80, 46, 10, its' going to be backed up. Takes me about an hour and a half to get home.

earlybird27 earlybird27
Mar '15

Wow CR37, your minutes home are basically brutal. I'm so glad I don't have to take 80 anymore.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Those are stacked bars, so the "home" bars are on top of the "in" bars. Total commute time each day is actually not that bad. A couple of 85 minute commutes have been my longest trips so far.

I see grey and blue on CR37s chart!! :)

Molly
Mar '15

I did the commute for many years from Mansfield. I left at 6:30 and took RT46 the whole way. People may think it is slower because of the lights but found that it was not. Same amount of time as 80 but not as hectic. I was always at work about 7:20- 7:30. Only time 46 was a mess is if 80 was bad.

happycamper happycamper
Mar '15

Oh Boy!.... 37 y e a r s of driving from Hackettstown to whip the pony... Rt 10 and whippany road..... I must have had 20 ways to go to and fro.

There were times when a longer but enjoyable ride was a better choice than the 10 / 46 / 80 mess; especially in the hot summer.

I had one cool route taking Ridgedale to Horses @ss Road...back through the Cory Road crossing 202 to Lake Valley Rd to Kadena Rd..( that bypassed Morristown Traffic. Then 24 west to Long Valley. Up the Hump and down Screwy Schooleys Rd and Home. Took like 57 minutes leaving 4:30 PM Homebound... Leaving at 5 it took me 65 minutes. Traffic always moving, and just a little slow through Chester Center.

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '15

I drive out to Morris plains/parsipanny once a week during mowing season, the roads are pretty packed, but not too terrible. You just need to give yourself a lot of extra time, because I've noticed the traffic is unpredictable. Some weeks i get there with zero traffic, some weeks it takes an extra half an hour. I usually leave at 7:30, and get there when I get there.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Mar '15

I drive to Morris Plains every day via Route 10 and I never can predict the traffic even if I check traffic websites and listen radio. I leave at 7:15AM to get to office at 8:30AM. At least once a week I am late, at least once a week I am at the office at 8AM. Fridays are always easy. I take scenic roads thru Randolph/Roxbury on my way home - 1 hour drive sharp.

CR37 - that's got to be the most meaningful piece of commuting info I've seen! For the most part, everyone normally discusses generalities about commuting times. But your plot concisely shows the actual time over an extneded period. At first, I thought your commute home was averaging 90 minutes; you might want to label that as "total commute" to avoid confusion. Great Job!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Mar '15

I work in that area & my flex hours are 7-3. I find if I leave Htown no later than 6:15 I am at work on time.

Buffy Buffy
Mar '15

Thanks, FarmerJake. The chart was originally meant for personal consumption, but I can see that my lack of labeling might cause confusion for others.

In addition to the commute in minutes, I have attempted to track departure times (when considerably earlier/later than normal), alternate routes taken (if applicable), and anything else that would help explain a particular commute. My initial goal was to see if patterns exist, and to change my commute plan accordingly.

The only change I am considering is leaving work LATER on Friday. Trips in are great, but when the folks who typically leave late decide to head home "early" on Friday, 80 is a parking lot.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.