Snow/Sleet/Freezing Rain 3/3

From NOAA:

SNOW, SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN ARE EXPECTED FOR TUESDAY AFTERNOON
INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. SNOWFALL IS FORECAST TO BE ONE TO THREE INCHES
WITH A LIGHT COATING OF ICE UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH.

Yikes, I sure hope the sleet/freezing rain part doesn't happen. Tomorrow is Rolling Rock Day.

www.noaa.gov

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

The storm to watch is the next one. Thurs (ish).

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '15

LOL, I thought Calico was our new Bryan_NC.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '15

I wouldn't even dare trying to measure up to our beloved Bryan.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Did they change the RR bottle to read "from the non-glass-lined tanks of Brick City" yet?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

ianimal - LOL, I'm actually not sure. Haven't had a RR in quite awhile. I will scope it out tomorrow and get back to you.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

So we have *two* events coming our way this week??

Someone please make it stop already! This is getting ridiculous.

(Calico your new seasonal gravatar did give me a chuckle, though, in spite of the bad news about more crappy weather.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

Bryan are we watching Thursday ( ish) for a kaboom??? hope so

just coach just coach
Mar '15

Bryan any good "dual pol" radar links? I had some but were lost when I lost all my bookmarks. Dual pol is an awesome relatively new technology especially in these wintertime setups at tracking the progression of rain/snow lines. It's much more detailed than traditional radar.

I can't find anything for the life of me.

Never heard of that Vic. I use wx underground for rain/snow line.

Weds night/Thurs shows accumulating snow but higher amounts south and east (at least at the moment). So I can't say anything huge at the moment but enough to plow.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '15

I see they've upped the map to 4-6 for tonight..what happened to the 1-3.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

NOAA is still saying 1" and then sleet and freezing rain. Where did you see 4-6 Bessie?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Current Projections:

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

Kurt - That map with the 4-6" is for the Thursday snow.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Doesn't look good for West Morris basketball tonight, does it?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Re: Snow/Sleet/Freezing Rain 3/3

Here's Eastern PA's map for today/tonight.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Where's the map of 70-80, sun, birds, flowers, swimming pools, beautiful green trees?
; )

Mar '15

Bottom line - snow later today 1-3" turning to ice tonight. They are forecasting 40 degs for tomorrow. I'll take 100 bucks for each degree you fall short of that. I'm sure there will be a lull but eventually snow breaks out again tmrw night into Thurs. Right now looks like 3-6 but there is room for that to grow a bit.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '15

oops! we need a little more time between storms so they don't start tripping over each other!

can someone give us a good time table for tonight? I am supposed to go take my boys to see the Piano Guys in Reading PA tonight.

kurt - The winter weather advisory is from 3:00 pm Tuesday through 6:00 am Wednesday.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2015/03/8_to_12_inches_of_snow_thursda.html#incart_river

Mar '15

bbu, I found your 70-80, green trees, birds singing:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/CJXX0001:1:CJ

I'll be there Friday as long as our flight gets out alright.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

I love Grand Cayman Meister. Have a fabulous time and bring us back some sunshine and higher temps!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Thanks. Can't wait.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Enjoy your trip. You mean you won't be in Tampa to see the Pinstripes?

I was only able to do one spring training, and that was a week in Clearwater when I was Phillies media ... I didn't go on any road trips with them, covered high schools, American Legion, even the Little League World Series in person when they went on the road ... but I did get ignored by Steve Carlton in two different states.

Made sure I was down there when they had a game with the O's ... Earl Weaver and Paul Blair really were chatterboxes ... the big split was the country music guys and the disco guys ... that was so 70s.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

OMG Grand Cayman is such a wonderful place! Enjoy, Meister!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

Thanks calico and kurt..realized I was looking at Thursday. Sorry if I've added to anyone's misery today.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

Can't wait for it to start snowing!!! So exciting! Love snow!

Hope March is the whitest month of them all!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Die Darrin, DIE!!!!! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Gee, thanks Meister. Have a great time.

Get lost Darrin!!

Mar '15

Grand Cayman is our favorite Caribbean destination. Food is unreal. I get ceviche everywhere I go.

I like the snow too. When I was working in Puerto Rico one year, I was on the beach or golf course during the week and joining my friends in VT on the weekend. Quite the dual life.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Hahahahaha!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Darrin. We are with you. Yeah snow.

just coach just coach
Mar '15

Snow just started...PV

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

snowing in Phillipsburg

Wbeleno Wbeleno
Mar '15

That map Bessie posted is for tomorrow night. The time stamp is on the bottom of the map. http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

Snow emergency declared in Hackettstown. All cars have to be off the streets by 5pm...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2015/03/lehigh_valley_northwestern_new_4.html#incart_river

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

An An And yesterday afternoon.....the wife looked out the window, and low and behold!

Like 50 or more "Robin Red Breasts!" just sitting on the tree limbs.
She asked me,"What can we do, what can we do?" .........

I said,"Uh! ...Get the Gun???..... She said,"Don't You Dare!".....
"Wife and I not speaking now!"

"Great"..... It's been so quiet since that episode!

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '15

We've already gone over to sleet here in Oxford.

Kudos to the state. Their trucks were all over Rt 57 from Port Murray to Washington, sanding/salting. GREAT JOB!

Mar '15

On our way from Hackettstown to Belvidere (Rt 46)and it is very slippery. Haven't seen a salter yet !!

Mariann Mariann
Mar '15

Pure sleet coming down now in Hackettstown. Already covered the cars in a thin layer of ice. Be careful out there if you must drive.

IsWinterOver?
Mar '15

Anyone see any salt trucks in Long Valley? How is Schooleys Mountain Road?

chichi chichi
Mar '15

Salters were out about 3:00 PM on 46 & 80.

Lots of sleet out there. It appears to have moved in a little faster than the models were saying. Only about half inch of snow here before the sleet moved in around 4PM. Currently it looks like the extreme northern parts of Sussex, Passaic and Bergen counties are still fighting off that changeover to sleet:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0C-1-48

So the question is, should we clean our driveways and walkways, or will the rain all day tomorrow melt it away?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Who else lost power

The forecast high is 41 tomorrow. Let's see how far you guys fall short of that. I warned about this earlier. Needless to say I wouldn't shovel anything now.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '15

Bryan, does this mean that you don't think we will come close to 41?

We live near the electric substation near the police department and heard a explosion a few minutes ago..Had a surge but still power..

person
Mar '15

@matt - also lost power for about 5 minutes (in Hackettstown). Hopefully you're back up now.

@Bryan, do you think it will get above freezing? Trying to figure out whether to work from home tomorrow or Thursday.

Concerning the loss of power, a loud explosion sound was reported near the police station moments ago. Possibly a blown transformer.

lost in PV briefly - long enough for me to look for my flashlight

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I'm waiting till morning to use the snow blower and shovel. At least if there's snow underneath it won't freeze solid to the pavement.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Good luck with the snow blower. Just tried to shovel and it weighs a ton!!! Don't think the blower is going to work on this mess. Looks we are getting up very early to shovel!

Damn.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

Looks like a wet skating rink outside right now...ice is hanging from everything ..this is going to be tough to deal with if we dont get that warming and plain rain over night.

Hockeymom115 Hockeymom115
Mar '15

Everything is iced up. My driveway looks like an ice luge. This is going to be 'interesting' to deal with tomorrow.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '15

Yeah was just outside deicing the wife's car so she could get to work. We had used the car only a few hours earlier and it was already iced up pretty good. Took me a good 30 minutes to muscle all the ice off. As far a snowblower in all this...good luck!

This sleet and freezing rain has really compacted whatever fell earlier today. If we don't get that advertised warm up forget the snow shovel, you'll need one of those metal square shovels to get this stuff up.

Be careful out there for those attempting to shovel this stuff!

SO..... you think it's going to get warm enough (with rain later) to melt this crap? Because I just shoveled a little... enough to let the dog out and be able to open my gates, and I had to chop ice. I REALLY don't want to chop my whole driveway.... really hoping it gets up to 40, and turns this stuff into slush... then I can just push it off the driveway...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '15

coming next from weather.gov: Tonight Sleet before 8pm, then snow. Low around 22. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 5 to 8 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Thursday Snow, mainly before 1pm. Temperature falling to around 19 by 5pm. Northwest wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

5cat - I started a thread for 3/5 yesterday.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/670260

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

I was wrong about temps. Looks like it's around 40. Hopefully you guys at least get some melting in the driveways. It is March 4th.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '15

So, has the crap from last night melted for the most part? I really don't feel like chopping ice and shoveling when I get home, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

My driveway is still covered. It's very slushy, so it has melted, but didn't go away. I shoveled my walkway and steps and the slush weighed a ton. I got it done but there was no way I could do the driveway, nor could the snowblower handle it. The only option to clean it up would be a plow, but with more coming tonight and tomorrow, I can't justify paying for plowing two consecutive days. I may regret this decision if all the slush turns to a sheet of ice, but I'll just have to take my chances. Good luck to you.

Tanya Tanya
Mar '15

Mine is slush, with snow, with layer of ice over it. Solid! Won't melt until July! Very slippery.

Mar '15

Started to shovel this crap this morning. I broke down and paid that guy that was plowing my neighbor's driveway to plow mine and my other neighbor's (snowbirds, I watch their place). My back thanks me. I didn't want to come home to solid ice tonight.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '15

I must have gotten lucky where I am in Hackettstown. I had a few inches of heavy snow covered by brittle ice. The snow blower made quick work of it. Maybe it's because I've kept it clear after each storm? Did other towns have lower temps than Hackettstown and therefore the rock hard ice?

I did have to shovel the end of the driveway but that was because it was all heavy, slushy snow mixed with some ice that the blower couldn't throw. Shoveling that part and the walkway to the front stoop absolutely did suck but it wasn't much relatively speaking.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '15

ia,

I saw mine WASN'T melting, so I went out and cleared it.... by then, it was "pushable", so no chopping.... but when I walked the dog at 5:30, ALOT of driveways were still covered with the snow/ice mix from last night, they were probably hoping it would melt... or they're just SICK AND EFFING TIRED OF THIS CRAP and didn't bother LOL

I'm glad I DID bother- it'll be much easier going with the snowblower tomorrow....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '15

Mine is solid ice. I chopped it and put salt on it and could not shovel it at all. It was way too heavy for me.

Christine Christine
Mar '15

Hackettstown Police Department
39 mins ·

**A STATE OF EMERGENCY IS IN EFFECT. NO DRIVING RESTRICTIONS AT THIS TIME, BUT PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION WHILE TRAVELING.**

Governor Chris Christie declared a State of Emergency. This authorizes the State Director of Emergency Management to activate and coordinate the preparation, response and recovery efforts for the storm with all county and municipal emergency operations and governmental agencies.
Lovely

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.