What color is the dress?

People are looking at this dress and the colors they see may not be the colors you see. There are scientific explanations.

What color dress do you see?

I see white & gold.

http://time.com/3725528/dress-explainer-white-gold-blue-black-science/

The dress is white and gold....at least for me on HL and also on Facebook..

joyful joyful
Feb '15

For me it was white and gold and then I saw another picture and it looked more periwinkle and brown.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '15

It's both. I'll bet there are two dresses thus creating this trending topic. It is simply a clever marketing ploy in my opinion. The dress manufacturer has stated they "may" wink- wink add other colors to the line.

White and gold.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

I see periwinkle (a purple-blue) and a dull brown. Neither of two choices given even come close. (BTW, the dress is also quite ugly, according to Leolady.)

Here's a link to a site where someone broke down the colors:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/photoshop-data-blue-black-gold-white-is-actually-b-1688352412

The freakiest thing about all of this is that the mass-media picked it up and it was on the radio news this morning. Sounds like an experiment is mass delusion to see if the American populace can be made to fight over two false choices.

Oh wait, that would be the American electoral system....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '15

Just saw this on the news. I see white and gold.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Feb '15

It's blue and black.

Alice
Feb '15

I'm with jjmonth4... I see periwinkle blue and "gold", which is actually more of a baby poop brown color than gold.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

FaceBook looks like white and gold, but on the TV news this morning looked like black and blue. Yes, I believe there are two dresses, but who cares.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Feb '15

I don't know Greg... I think the one thing everyone agrees on is that, no matter what color it is, it's absolutely hideous, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

The key is how dark your computer screen is. The darker it is, the less your cones work and the rods take over. Cones are the fine tuning of color, the rods are more black and white but appear more bluish to us. Every notice in dark light you have trouble telling red from purple and everything looks more silver and black? That's the rods.

People that see a bright version of the picture are using their cones and can tell the blue content is much higher and the green slightly higher than the red. That comes out "periwinkle" to some or at lease some kind of dull bluish tint.

People that see a dark version see black instead of brown because the receptors have the most trouble with darker colors and it all melds to black. The red & green content of the light color goes all whitish silver.

Cones? Rods? Oh my!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Rods can be scary, especially in the dark!

I like the dress as gold + white.

Not crazy about the striped sheath dress but I do like that short ruffle edge accent jacket...

joyful joyful
Feb '15

Really. Who cares??

Maja- LMAO!

I agree ianimal, ugly in any color.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/2015/02/27/dress-debate-see-different-colours/

What colour is the dress, really?

According to the woman who originally posted the image, in the flesh the dress appears to be black and blue.

Scottish musician Caitlin McNeill first saw the dress when the mother of the bride at a wedding she attended sent the photo to her daughter to get another opinion.

“We all went crazy trying to figure out why some people were seeing white and gold, and others saw blue and black,” McNeill told Buzzfeed.

According to Ms McNeill, who saw the dress in person, it is clearly blue and black in the flesh.

A photo of the dress taken from the official site of its brand, Roman Originals, supports her point:

hhs75
Feb '15

I see both. Depends on how long I look at it and how the backlighting is.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Feb '15

I see blue and black.....But i also see it like it is color changing...and se the White and gold...

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Feb '15

Re: What color is the dress?

It depends on what other objects your eye chooses to compare it to. Similar to how both the A and B squares in this picture are the exact same shade of gray. Your brain tries to make sense of it, expecting a certain result that doesn't match reality.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '15

this whole thing is so dumb, i dont know why anyone is talking about it. the person who took the picture should get a better camera.

Old School
Feb '15

Mark - That pic is crazy. Are you sure they are the same color? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Re: What color is the dress?

"Are you sure they are the same color? LOL"

Yep... human eyes/brains actually suck at seeing and interpreting reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

This one really messes with you... which way is the dancer spinning?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '15

Crap. At my parent's house checking on my father. Went on their laptop to pay bills, etc. for them and figured I'd check on the dress thing to see if it made a difference.

For a few seconds, I saw where some would see white and gold. Then it was back to blue/brown. Likely it was the angle of the screen.

I'm staying out of this....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '15

Periwinkle and chocolate.

positive positive
Feb '15

frankly my dear - I don't give a damn

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

Mark Mc - she spins whatever way I want. I can make her change direction!

It is Black and Blue, but I clearly saw it as White/Gold - my whole world view is now totally shattered! - we now return you to your former quest for distractions from life - wonder what will be next!

just in case you want to see or order said dress, here you go:

http://www.romanoriginals.co.uk/invt/70931?colour=Royal-Blue

By the way, it is available in other colors but I am not about to suggest what colors they are - you could break the net doing that kind of thing!

The dress is now being used in an ad campaign against domestic violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/the-debate-that-divided-the-world-is-now-being-112877481273.html

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.