Commuting to Hackensack

Does any one else head there??? Have flex time but leaving at 4:30pm will that get me home under two hours???

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

It's only an hour away... Unless traffic

Booster90 Booster90
Feb '15

Friday's are always the worst! At least 1.5 hours. This time of year is bad too if there's a beautiful sunset. Driver's don't understand the concept of what a visor does.

blah blah bouy
Feb '15

With the 15/Rockaway Mall area, the Parsippany 287 Intersection, the 23/46/3 Wayne backup, and the Patterson & Garden State/17 disaster areas, there is always traffic. A lot depends on where in Hackensack and how long it takes just to get to 80, but count on an hour and a half most days. You should be under 2 generally, but also hit right about that time once in a while. I have a client a bit north of there and I try to go for 10:30 and leave by 3:00. It goes to about an hour 15 when you do that, but you should still not be as bad as 2 hrs.

takes me an hour from pv to main street hackensack - but not during rush hour -

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

thank you for the input! much appreciated

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

Every day Monday - Friday from Panther Valley to Hackensack. My hours are 7 to 3. I can not leave any later than 5:50 AM not 6 AM, that ten minute difference can add up to half hour to your commute at that time of day. Takes exactly one hour from my door at home to my office door. If I leave work between 3:30 to 4:30 it can be an hour and 15 minutes or 2 hours depending on traffic, weather, accidents etc. Keep in mind it isn't all of 80 that is the problem it is sections. On the way home, I take 4 (always traffic even in the middle of the day) to Parkway to 80 from that entrance ramp through Squirrelwood Rd in Paterson there is traffic (gets worse as the afternoon goes on) then your usually good from there until the bottom of the hill in Parsippany (where the troopers sit) up the hill used to break up at the top but now seems to go to past Route 15 exit up through Mount Arlington/Netcong then smooth sailing all the way home. I don't hit the 23 Wayne traffic at my time that GC referred to. In the morning it is mostly through the construction (287 area) but for the most part it moves pretty well at that time of day.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

What Jrzy said...I go PV to Main St m-f. My hours are 8-4. I leave the house in the morning about 5:45ish to avoid the sun and the tards from PA. Coming home is a different story. Parsippany and Rockaway will become your worst nightmare. Friday mornings are always light but coming home takes forever. Still can't figure that out. Summer and school holidays also help A LOT with traffic. September to June though, you'll lose your mind. The days that you don't sit in traffic are few and far between but yes, you can do it in an hour on a Sunday afternoon or between the hours of 1am-3am. You know what they say...Rt80, nothing but potholes and a**holes.

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '15

hey jrzyGirl88. did you ever take exit 62 to get on or off 80 to get into hackensack avoiding Garden state parkway and 4?

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

Coming East on 80, 62 A is the exit for the GSP in Saddle Brook. I get off here, but I do not get on the parkway, I do the little loop and get right onto Pehle Avenue to Saddle River Rd, I take that to 4. My office is on the Rt 4 side of town so that is easier for me. But there are times I have used every exit on Route 80 depending on accidents, construction etc. Traffic through town can be a PIA and what should take you 2 minutes is like 15. You can get off any exit between 62 and 66 depending on where in town you need to be.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

I start on monday at an office on university plaza drive. Gps takes me 80 to GSP to 4 to 503 S. I was hoping to avoid GSP and 4 by using 62 B and cutting through town or taking 66 for 503 north. Is there a hopeful lesser of evils?? Especially on the way home??? !! Like you mentioned I will have to experiment. Thank you. Any info was and is greatly appreciated.

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

Try to use the app Waze.....it uses other waze drivers nearby to find the quickest way

vous
Feb '15

My daily commute is from PV to exit 71 on Route 80. My best advice is to be patient, and find a good radio station, podcast, book on CD, etc. to keep you from going crazy.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '15

That you some much. We all so go in a a mega millions lotto and hope for the best.

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

MikeyMike I can throw a rock at your new office. Easiest way for you East on 80, to 62 A towards GSP stay to the right as you come around the bend, don't merge onto parkway, (if you do by accident - pay the toll go up two exits and then get off onto 4) exit onto Pehle Avenue (Holiday Inn on your left) at stop sign make a left, at traffic light (bagel shop and deli will be on your left, Church immediately in front of you make a left on Saddle River Road, follow to end (maybe 2 - 3 miles) to Route 4. When you merge onto 4 get over to the middle lane don't stay in right lane as this splits and merges onto 17 it does come back together but is a PIA, when you are near Toys R Us / Gym area, get in the right lane, you have some distance here, but it gets hard to get over so I am giving you plenty of time, pay attention in front of the Sunoco (there is a Dunkin Donuts here and people just pull out in front of you). You will see sign for Main Street in River Edge on your right, do not get off here, people get confused and take this exit all the time. Continue a little further and you will see exit for Hackensack Avenue SOUTH (503) exit here, cemetery on the right, school on the left, stay in left lane. Go through light at the school when you see Boston Market you can take that left onto Kotte Place, this will bring you down into the parking lot of Fairleigh Dickinson, cut through the little parking lot and you are now in University Plaza you just have to find your building. If you miss the turn at Boston Market, do not attempt the left at the big University Plaza sign, you can't turn left here. You will get a ticket or into an accident. Go to the next light Temple Avenue - Valley National Bank on right, Target on Right, Gas station on left, make a left and this brings you into University Plaza and all of the buildings.

If you want to come the other way through town, it will take you longer but Exit 66 Hudson Street, get off the exit , St. Mary's Church in front of you. Make a left, at traffic light Hudson Street make a left, at next intersection make a right, follow through one light, make a left onto River Road (503) Hackensack Avenue and River Road are one and the same road, just named differently on opposite ends of town. Follow past Costco, County Jail, Heritage Diner, Car Wash, Foschini Park, When you see Target on the left, you can make a right onto Temple and this will take you to the buildings. I wouldn't go this way it will take you longer, but you have two options now.

Good Luck at your new job!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

I set a personal best today going to Manhattan, 3 hours.... I normally have to be in at 8 (and leave around 5:50) but for the first time today I only had to be in at 10. I was aiming for 9ish and therefor left at 7. Rolled in on the minute. Never again, I'll just sit at work for two hours before I'll do that again.

Brendan Brendan
Feb '15

jrzygirl 88. .. thank you for the route options. I hate to ask since I know I just have to try but do you take that way in reverse for homeward bound??? THank you

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

Brendan, where is manhattan do you work? I am considering wheather I want to look for a job in the city (commute from panther valley).

You can leave your office, come out to Hackensack Avenue make a right, at Riverside Square Mall will be a jughandle to take you over Hackensack Ave to Route 4. Take Route 4 to GSP back to 80. Just pay attention, people are lunatics at the 4/17/GSP mess. This is my way home Mid-January to November. I do not go this way in December/Early Jan with the 3 malls and numerous stores in the area it is a disaster at Holiday time. I go either Essex Street to 80 or get on down near Hudson.

Another option when there is problems on Route 80 for you is 287 to 208( Franklin Lakes) to 4. Just reverse it going home if you hear problems on 80. It is about 10 miles longer, but rarely any traffic until you get to 80.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

Beware, Rt 208 towards Rt 4 typically backs up in the morning near Nabisco due to volume, and you might encounter some delays there. In the evening there is almost always a slight delay passing Nabisco as the road goes from three lanes to two at Maple Ave.

On the plus side...if the bakery is making Chocolate Chip cookies that day, the aroma is awesome. Roll your windows down and enjoy!!

JerryG JerryG
Feb '15

Ray- upper west side to liberty. 65 miles if I take the tunnel, 70 if I take the bridge.

It takes me 18-19 minutes to get onto 80 at exit 19 so if you're in PV that will cut down the times by a chunk.

I normally have to be in at 8am and leave around 5:50am. The best is going in for 6am or 7am--- or weekends! My best time so far was an hour and 7 minutes, door to door.

Brendan Brendan
Feb '15

It took me 1.75 hrs to get to Exit 64 in Hackensack this morning. Just stop and go traffic 3/4ths of the way. We are talking about leaving at 7:45 a.m.

Took me 52 minutes at 4:30 this morning...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

Thank you all. I am reassured that living in this beautiful area while working out east is completely feasible.

mikeymike mikeymike
Feb '15

I've been commuting to Hackensack for 13 years.I leave the house for 5 o'clock in the morning there is never traffic.
I get on Route 80 at exit 19 most days. if I head home by 3 o'clock there is seldom traffic. After 4 pm expect a half hour delay. With no traffic I'm door to door in 50 min @ 70mph.
I have a friend in queens at commutes 15 miles to manhattan and it takes him 1.5 hours with mass transit from door to door.
Go figure

mommas playa mommas playa
Feb '15

How did you do today MikeyMike?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

First day took no problem getting in and about 1h 15min coming home. took 4 to gsp to 80.. Used Waze. Thank you..
Yesterday was a whole other story as I am sure most of you all experienced. 3h30min to make home. but that was all ice and 5 MPH on 80.
I figured I would tried to get my best and worst rides in all in the same week on the new job!

Thank you all for your input. Cheers!

mikeymike mikeymike
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.