Tax preparer?

We have been looking to get our taxes done by someone with experience in small business. It's a fairly complicated situation with several forms that will need to be prepared for multiple years. I've been quoted over $300 for just two of those forms(the 1040 and the 1040 Schedule C) for only 1 year.

My first question is, does this seem like a reasonable rate? My second question is Who would you recommend for this type of tax situation?

Let's Fix This Let's Fix This
Feb '15

If you have more than one member in an LLC or a partnership plus have some depreciation or other form, it's not unusual to cost $750/yr. That's really quite reasonable.

As for recommendations, there are loads of them in past threads, just do a Forum Search at the top of the page.

That seems to be more than quite reasonable..agreed.

Steven Steven
Feb '15

That's what I pay!

Christine Christine
Feb '15

Haber and co. in Hackettstown. Jay is the best there is.
And I wouldn't go if he wasn't fair priced. much less than 300

nothin bout nothin
Feb '15

300 for a lifetime of savings. Good quote. Actually on cheap side.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '15

I pay less that $300. Mike Rapach in Flanders!

Kelleo22 Kelleo22
Feb '15

Betty Shemonsky in town THE BEST. 850 1429

Really?
Feb '15

I second Betty. One year I waited too long and was down to the wire. She couldn't fit me in, so I went to H&R Block. Big mistake. I paid more than double Betty's fee. The next year I went early and paid the usual fee.

Tanya Tanya
Feb '15

Barbara Serridge (908) 689-5325 in Washington

Buffy Buffy
Feb '15

Linda Rasely in Belvidere 908-475-8479.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Thank you so much for the recommendations, I am calling around today.

The business is a sole proprietorship and the $300 quote was to file the 1040 and the 1040 Schedule C. There were additional per form fees for the approximately 5-8 other forms I would need filled out. This was at Liberty.

Again, thank you!

Let's Fix This Let's Fix This
Feb '15

Just do it yourself.. for free. It's not that complicated... but if you are planning on bringing a garbage bag of receipts then yea pay the $300

Bump1
Feb '15

Need a good preparer for a pretty basic tax return. Been doing it myself over the years, but things have changed and really want to go to someone.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jan '18

I've used Rahn Singer in Hastings Square in the past. He was very good. I believe the cost was around $400.

TownFriend
Jan '18

Oh.....can't pay that much. Thanks

Jan '18

Maybe try Turbo Tax? It's pretty simple to follow the prompts and plug in your data.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '18

Anyone use Jericho tax preparer on Main St?

Feb '18

BBY, when you say "things have changed", are you talking about your personal situation or the tax code? If the latter, those changes don't go into effect until next year. This tax season is pretty much the same as last year.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '18

Oh my tax lament. Every year I strive for simplicity and instead end up doing something entirely new.... For a decade I have been asking, when will history repeat itself.

This year I asked the IRS a question. The response, for the first time, was, we don't do that stuff, you should find a professional..... Wow, the IRS gave up....

While I will figure it out, I am feeling like Sisyphus thinking I am rolling that rock one last time. Worse yet, I don't think the new tax plan will help me in this regard; not sure I will be affected by the simplification one little bit.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '18

Personal things. Thanks ianimal

Feb '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.