WRNJ Morning Show and Music

I have posted many time here on Hackettstown Life- I finally want to start a topic of my own, on one of my favorite subjects, WRNJ.

I have been both positive and critical of them in the past (more positive though than negative)- and I wanted to post what I believe are some positive comments on their somewhat recent programming directions.

First- the morning show with Mike Galley- this was a step in the right direction- it was unfortunate it happened because of Dave Kelber’s medical situation- but I think Mike has picked up the pace in the morning from where it used to be- made some subtle changes to the timing of certain segments – and overall has made a more overall enjoyable listening experience.

He is a bit more upbeat- seems to banter pretty well with the traffic and weather people (Tom Note traffic and Frank Lombardo or Tom Else weather)- and has a bit more knowledge on the sports basics- which all make the show flow a bit better.
They have some pretty decent guests on in the mornings- with regular guests on Monday and Friday mornings around 7:15a that I can think of off the top of my head- who actually add some additional interest to the show. Joyce Estey is continuing to do a good job with the news- I think she is a good solid news person and keeps the show grounded well.

I am not sure how much input Mike Galley has into the music, but I am actually pleasantly surprised at the mix of music they have been playing the past few months. I think they finally have hit the right mix- not too heavily slanted towards any one type of music- but actually a decent mix of things from anywhere from the 60’s to recent music. The way they are mixing that variety works for me.

And, they are not playing the same tracks over and over- rather they and going a bit deeper into an artist catalog- to keep it interesting. For example, I heard Bruce Springsteen’s “Girls In Their Summer Clothes” this morning- which considering the cold weather, was a timely, wishful song pick- that is a song that I usually would only ever hear on Jon Lewis WNTI Springsteen Saturday morning show, yet here was a great melodic tune- somewhat “obscure” to most listeners, being played on WRNJ- I have heard a couple other more “deep from the artist catalog” Springsteen cuts the past few weeks- so someone there is pretty astute- or progressive in their song selections- which I believe will help them in the long run.

Overall, I think they have improved from what I believe was a pretty decent product to begin with. While WRNJ has their internal issues (what business doesn’t)- and has made some difficult choices with on air personalities and changing of shows- I think at this moment in time- their product is improved.

I believe they have listened to their audience- changed to suit their demographic- and I hope it continues.

I don’t catch the afternoon shows as much, as I am at work then- but on the way home when I listen, Russ Long does a fine job, as always, and the flow of his show and music selections are just fine.

Either way- they are a great service to our area- and I am thankful for them- and will be listening- and will always be coming back to them with commentary to hopefully make them better and sustain success.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Feb '15

I agree with everything you said @The Rhyme Animal. I listen to the station at work all day and enjoy it. I did not like the song format from a few years ago, but do like it now.

happycamper happycamper
Feb '15

I'd like more local sports, but if they are raking in the dough without it, who am I to complain?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I also agree with the above posts. I've listened to WRNJ from day one. I love having a local station to hear both local news as well as upcoming events. May they have a great and long future. I know I'll be listening!

Tanya Tanya
Feb '15

Thanks, Rhyme Animal. A very astute analysis, as usual. WRNJ is always a work in progress. We're constantly tweaking, always trying to improve. The thing that pleases us most is the amount of community support we get when doing fundraisers for a variety of local charities. We're very fortunate to have the kind of listeners who get on board and pitch in time and time again. I'm talking to you, Tanya & happycamper :)

And Andy, I'd love to have some of that dough you're talking about us raking in. Being an independent broadcaster these days is a bit of a high wire act (thank you, local sponsors). And anyone who wants to use HL as a suggestion box for RNJ, we're listening.

Norm Worth, WRNJ Norm Worth, WRNJ
Feb '15

I also love RNJ now.

htown htown
Feb '15

I also listen all day at work. The mix of music is great. Used to be able to tell the time by what song was playing.

One more yay vote! Mike is very upbeat in the am...seems like he is also quite knowledgeable about music. I totally appreciate that he reads all the upcoming events and adds a little touch so they do not sound mechanical. Bravo Mike!

dsl1029 dsl1029
Feb '15

Heard about the dreadful Knicks and Nets this morning, but not about Hackettstown, who understands that basketball is a team game.

For those of you who couldn't get to the doubleheader last night, the Tigers beat Belvidere 60-40 in the boys game. The Belvidere girls won 53-42.

Also, for those who have not heard, the Tiger boys are in the Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex championship game against a Pope John team that could probably beat the Knicks ... they're tall enough.

Read all about it in the newspapers ... they send staff to sports events.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

On this day in history, in 1935, the Yankees released Babe Ruth.

Imagine that, they released BABE RUTH.

What's that got to do with WRNJ?

They've released a few legends, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

What I find interesting is that Norm Worth posted on this thread with "positive" feedback. When others were posting about Doc South and Dave Kelber on other threads (wondering what happened to them), he was nowhere to be found !

Mariann Mariann
Feb '15

Mike does a fine job.

After all these years, WRNJ remains quite "listenable"... so I do.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '15

Mike sounds like a very pleasant and capable fellow, nothing personal against him.

I just think they are going down the wrong road by trying to brand themselves as a music station that will bring in the young crowd, while holding on to the old faithful generation they've had since the 70s and 80s.

I've been teaching media and speech classes and have had the students (most of them are 19 and 20) keep journals of their media use ... they do not listen to the radio for music ... they have all kinds of gadgets for that ... they don't have the attention span to listen to all the commercials ... if they don't like what they hear in six seconds ... they are into something else.

The only reason they listen to ME is because I'm the guy who decides what grade they get. That's my hammer.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I understand the need to play some music ... to give the on-air personality a break while he prepares for the next topic of information.

I listen to some British radio on the internet and they seem to operate that way, some musical breaks, but mostly a lot of interesting guests and information.

Of course, with a low-budget station, there are some hours that need to be filled with automated music, but I would try to keep that at a minimum. How about more replays of the daytime shows like Frank Fowler's Let's Talk About It, or Educationally Speaking. And, of course, MORE LOCAL SPORTS .... please.

Being informative about local topics of interest is what local radio needs to be ... I can listen to oldies on WMTR (Morristown) and Oldies 98 (with a good signal out of Philly) ... I can listen to new songs on WPLJ (New York) and WLEV (Lehigh Valley) and there are other stations that people in their 30s and 40s listen to for alternative stuff ... RNJ needs to be the go-to place for information.

Ah, but it takes money to staff a good local info station ... there's the rub.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Pretty much agree with your take(s), Andy.

Some of the new music is just OK, some is annoying. Don't want to dredge controversy up, but Rich Appel usually had an enjoyable mix in his slot.

Nonetheless, I'm 53 and WRNJ does need a broader audience. Guess I'll put up with some music I don't like, though I doubt many kids (mine are 19 and 22) will listen.

Guess they have a few more good years left while us older people still listen... and support their advertisers.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '15

I miss the local talk shows that used to be on WRNJ. The antiques guys and Deirdre were nice shows. I really loved the food and cooking show the best. It was just getting started before they cancelled it.

bored listener bored listener
Feb '15

Love the station! I just moved into Hackettstown a few months ago, and still have my old antenna radio in the kitchen. WRNJ is constantly on, gets great reception and love their choice of music!! Plus it's nice hearing local news!

Colem11 Colem11
Feb '15

I'm like that lady in those Wendy's commercials from 30 years ago ...

where's the SPORTS?

By the way, Hackettstown lost the basketball game tonight, they were a decided underdog to Pope John, anyway.

You won't hear anything about it until tomorrow morning on RNJ ... and then they'll get it from The Express-Times, Star Ledger, or LehighValleyLive on the web.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

They still think it is 1965, when all the teeny boppers and 20 somethings listened to WABC to hear Dan Ingram and Cousin Brucie play that week's Top 40 songs ...

radio is not like that, anymore.

And WABC did have five minutes of Howard Cosell Speaking of Sports in the morning and evening ... when does RNJ ever spend five minutes on local sports?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Norm at RNJ - loved the Christmas and Holiday music that was played between Thanksgiving and New Year's. It was really great. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the On Air Hospital Auction in March. I always end up bidding and winning on a few items.

copygirl copygirl
Feb '15

Andy..If it is that annoying, why not just listen to another station?

happycamper happycamper
Feb '15

I listen to lots of them, and thanks to the internet, there are a lot more choices.

Norm said it himself, they are NOT raking in the dough.

So, something needs to be done differently. I'm just offering my suggestions.

OK, back to WFAN, they have a good Sunday morning show about youth and amateur sports issues.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

They are making concessions to us grumpy people. Heard a good MoTown song from 1965 this morning, and the sports report mentioned the three wrestlers from West Morris who are going to the state championships in Atlantic City.

A little less NBA, NHL and A-Rod, and Mike would have had time to also mention Joe Renne of Hackettstown and Max Nauta and Andrew Pacheco of Warren Hills, who also are going.

Also, he would have had time to mention Hackettstown's state tournament victory in boys basketball last night. The Tigers are 19-9 ... they have all these winning teams that get no love on RNJ.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Re: WRNJ Morning Show and Music

I would like to hear more oldies, I thought it was a oldie station. I play the station M-S in my barbershop and cant stand the ALL TALK in the morning. I don't mind some, but come on...also the new music is all over the place. Wish they would go back to oldies. But I do enjoy the Saturdays floor mat, music is great on that day.

I don't think the local news is bad, we can always use that. But they need to play more of the old music and let the college do the newer stuff.

Donnabelle57 Donnabelle57
Mar '15

Listening to the on air auction. They have some very nice packages. Acupunture, Restaurant coupons, Land of makebelieve etc.. all to benefit HRMC emergency dept.

stressed out stressed out
Mar '15

A great tradition, a chance to get something useful at a bargain price ... a win/win/win ... the consumer gets a good deal and the hospital gets the financial help it needs to keep going. The people who donate items know they've done a good deed.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Great moment this afternoon when Russ came out of a song saying , "That was Eddie Brickle and the New Bohemians with What I Am!" (Eddie like Munster and Brickle like the ice cream....)

Hipster Hipster
Apr '15

Does he still do Long Shots?

Remember the commercial Bill Russell did for the omnipotent phone company, to dial long distance?

Google it, it was a classic.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

I used to listen to Doc South and Rich Appel play songs like this.
Now I catch them on WMTR Morristown, which claims to be the most listened to AM station in the state.

Ah, those good old days.

When -- The Kalin Twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAM6QkpVIJg

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

I know, I'm a dinosaur. Whenever I wear my purple number 75 Ravens jersey (Jonathan Ogden for those who don't know) ...

my wife calls me Barney.

OK, no more comments for awhile, I'm off to P'burg where one of their wrestlers has a signing ceremony scheduled to attend Columbia.

No, not all athletes are dumb, as some in the WRNJ circle believe. I've been told, over there, in no uncertain terms, that sports makes people dumber and should not be part of the schools.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.