Tigers basketball moved to Monday

I believe they are playing warren hills at 7. Winner is in finals of county tourn against pope john. Good luck boy's!

Old vet Old vet
Feb '15

Good luck against Pope John is right. That team is stacked.

Still, it's an honor to make the final, so I hope it's a real good game.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Pope john is stacked? Blasphemy! Who did you get that info. From? Never have I heard anything so crazy!!!

I'm guessing you either are being sarcastic, or have not seen Pope John play.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-1012419154651907287/south-hunterdon-47-at-pope-john-78-hunterdonwarrensussex-tournament-semifinal-round-boys-basketball/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

They first have to get past Warren Hills,then Oh Well !

GO WH!!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Feb '15

Tigers beat hills in another crazy game. They were down 21-5 to start and chipped away to get back in the game. They won 52-47!!!!!!! Wow what a game by both teams.

Old vet Old vet
Feb '15

Article & Photos - 2/23/2015 (LehighValleyLive/The Express-Times)

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalleylive.com/news/article/-12402154633907344/hackettstown-boys-basketball-rallies-to-beat-warren-hills-advances-to-hunterdonwarrensussex-title-game/

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Feb '15

Tigers now go to the Lions Den,Friday night! Like the coach said, no more cupcakes,best of luck !

Coach McDonagh is terrific, playing that helpside man-to-man with lots of pressure.

That's how you come from behind in a big game.

Here's a Hoosiers clip to get everybody fired up for the Pope John game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKbrj2nZis

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

It's THE FINALS ... play that Hoosiers music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiNBlHbCtU

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Another real good win for the Tigers tonight. Belvidere hung with them in the first half, but the Tigers pulled away in the second.

Hackettstown has a shot at 20 wins this year, which would be real nice. They are a well oiled machine, everybody playing together as one unit.

Belvidere had some talent, including a skilled big man who they did not utilize properly. Big Red wasn't as disciplined and functional as Hackettstown, that was basically the difference between the two teams.

A shame that Friday night's boys and girls H/W/S championship games will be at different sites --- I can't see both.

They could have a nice double header at that beautiful new facility Centenary College built ... and the fans could see four really good basketball teams in one night.

How about it --- can the administrative "brains" out there get this together?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Your right Andy,some great ideas,would help.The high school kids may consider Centenary if they were more high school friendly! The board of education should work a little closer with the college.This town needs to come together when it comes to kids and sports!

Lobo,

Centenary is very good to Hackettstown. Remember, Centenary allows the HHS swimteam to use their pool at no charge. They offer a scholarship to a Hackettstown HS student every year. I believe our board of ed/school system has a very good relationship with Centenary.

nancy nancy
Feb '15

Lobo - you couldn't be more off point

Centenary is also working with the new lax program with skill camps and the scholarship awards the college provides has various levels for all applying HHS seniors. The school district also has a great relationship with the college regarding student teachers.

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Feb '15

I stand corrected ! How many Hackettstown high school kids attend Centenary ? Are there any sport scholarships given out for four years?

Centenary is Division III so they don't do sports scholarships -- financial aid maybe.

Not saying they don't do anything for the high schools, but I remember playing in the Shore Conference semifinals and championship game at Monmouth College, and it's a great memory to this day. I would have gone to Monmouth, but Rider gave me a scholarship. Money talks.

Centenary could host big high school games if they wanted to do so. I would think it would be a nice recruiting tool.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I agree Andy,and yes they need to recruit,most kids leave town to attend college!

Basketball Finals Tonight,Hackettstown Tigers vs Pope John High School,Predictions ?

I'd be surprised if Hackettstown wins. Happy, but surprised.

I do think Hackettstown will compete and won't get embarrassed. The Tigers play a very good brand of basketball and give the fans an honest effort.

They already are the public champions of Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex ... laughed about that with the AD and coach the other night.

Some states, like Maryland, don't even allow public and parochial teams to play each other. They operate in two separate worlds.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I know for D1 schools, they cannot hold high school tournaments. The Easton Rotary classic used to be held at Lafayette but they had to move it elsewhere because of "unfair recruiting advantage". Not sure if the same holds true for D3.

mjd31 mjd31
Feb '15

Well, Rutgers hosts football playoffs every year ... I've seen Warren Hills, West Morris and Phillipsburg (just about every year) finish their seasons there.

Back in the day, when Monmouth hosted the Shore Conference basketball playoffs, that was an NAIA school.

In the state tournament, we played South Plainfield and North Plainfield at the old Rutgers "barn" ... later on through the years Princeton University Jadwin Gym hosted state finals for all the groups ... I spent the day and watched them all. Many people out there remember Princeton hosting the state wrestling championships.

But, long story short, Rutgers hosted football playoffs just two months ago, why would they have different rules for football and basketball?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I remember covering Easton Rotary Classic games at Lafayette.

Lehigh may have shouted foul, regarding "unfair recruiting advantage" and may have convinced the Patriot League to make Lafayette stop hosting high school events. Don't have specifics ... I could ask some people ... but that may have just been a Patriot League thing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Anyone have a final score for tonites Champ game between Hackettstown and Pope John?

Big sports fan Big sports fan
Feb '15

You mean it wasn't on WRNJ?

I can tell you Pburg lost to Hunterdon Central in the girls' championship game.

Former Hackettstown boys coach Chris Walker won a title tonight, good for him.

Could not be in two places at once, so I chose the shorter trip.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Pope John won 76-47.

Shake it off, on to the state tournament.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Monday leonia home at 7

Old vet Old vet
Feb '15

NJSIAA - North 2, Group 2 Boys Basketball State Tournament Bracket:

Hackettstown is #2 seed:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/33680/

Feb '15

Hackettstown boys basketball team crushes Leonia in first round of NJSIAA North 2 Group 2 playoffs

Article & Photos (3/2/2015):

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalleylive.com/news/article/4434279919070644364/hackettstown-boys-basketball-team-crushes-leonia-in-first-round-of-njsiaa-north-2-group-4-playoffs/

Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.