Re: 2/19/15 Serious MVA Old Wolfe Rd Mt Olive

Accident scene appears to be closer to the High Noon bar next to Budd Lake now.

Not a great intersection. Prayers for all.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '15

Just drove by it. Looks like someone tried to go up the wrong side next to High Noon.

It's probably not possible, but that whole stretch of 46 should have barriers up to prevent left turns.

christography christography
Feb '15

Its a fatal MVA now. Person passed away at hospital

townie14 townie14
Feb '15

I am so sad to read this. That is a very bad area of 46. Prayers to the deceased's family and may they RIP.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Feb '15

That's so sad on so many levels. That is a very dangerous stretch of 46 with people just slamming on their brakes and make left turns and the people behind them aren't paying attention or are going too fast. Whatever the cause is, my condolences to the family.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '15

A fatal now? I know they had a "bird" on standby before but it was called off.

State trooper involved

Thetruth Thetruth
Feb '15

What exactly happened?

concered1971 concered1971
Feb '15

I drove by there around 9:30 when all the police and fire trucks were there. The one car was obliterated. Very sad, I figured who ever was in that car couldn't possibly have survived.

Denis Denis
Feb '15

I hate 46. I agree that there should be barriers. Between the sudden stopping to turn and the fact that people just can't seem to help themselves from driving like maniacs. Something needs to be done to make that road safer.

somechik somechik
Feb '15

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/2015/02/20/hopatcong-high-senior-killed-budd-lake-crash/23731453/

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Feb '15

This accident was horrific I stayed with the driver until the police arrived. Does anyone have an update on the female driver and how she was doing?? Someone here also said a state trooper was involved ? Was that the driver of the other vehicle? Life is taken so quickly I'm soooo very sad for this young man and for the young driver whom has to live with this for the rest of her life. How absolutely traumatic for me being at the scene i can't imagine what this young girl must be going through. Many thoughts and prayers to both families. So sad

Cholie Cholie
Feb '15

Perhaps Route 46 there should be restored to its original one travel lane in each direction with shoulders, with turning lanes added where appropriate.

I imagine they turned it into its present unsafe four lane/no shoulder configuration because of the crush of through east-west traffic, but Route 80 subsequently took that away.

Cholie... That must have been very difficult to watch. You are a good person for staying with him in his final moments. This is so sad. Another young life lost... When will it end? :(

Donna87 Donna87
Feb '15

I approached the accident at about 1030pm and from the lights ahead I knew it was bad. My heart sank when I saw the cars involved and knew it wasn't good. Only the police, EMT etc were left on scene at that point. Cholie, I'm sure it was very difficult for you to have been on scene but know that person needed the comfort you provided at that time. Very hard to see a scene like that. I give those helpers ALOT of credit dealing with this tragic stuff.

Chester Chester
Feb '15

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/2015/02/20/hopatcong-high-senior-killed-budd-lake-crash/23731453/

Updated with a picture of the vehicle. Heartbreaking...

hhs75
Feb '15

Yes trooper was driver of other vehicle. Very interested to see how this investigation unfolds.

Thetruth Thetruth
Feb '15

Not sure what you mean by that Thetruth. Can you explain? Such a tragedy.Prayers to everyone involved and their families.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '15

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hopatcong-sparta/hopatcong-teen-dies-after-2-car-crash-morris-county-cops-say-0

Updated with lots of info. Sad for all concerned.

hhs75
Feb '15

So sad. Each time I read of a horrific accident, I realize that "there but for the grace of God go I.". The amount of traffic we deal with, the conditions of our roads, the weather, the distractions, the inexperienced drivers (young and old) and the crazy short tempered drivers, etc. This can happen to anyone anytime we are in a car, whether driving or riding. It reminds me to say, each time I arrive home, especially from a long trip, Thank You God. We need to be thankful when our family is safe because that can change in an instant. Prayers to all involved.

justwondering justwondering
Feb '15

A shame for sure. Straight has right of way over left turns. I'm wondering if the young lady thought she had enough time to make the turn, but didn't. Not sure if that's what happened, but it's a common thing among new drivers to not be able to judge these types of things. Sounds like an unfortunate accident.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Very sad. A few years back there seemed to an accident every week at that corner.

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '15

U holier God bless you. You are a special person

Very sad.

I was involved in what was very close to being a fatal accident when I was in my early twenties. The scene was horrific. There was a woman who stopped and stayed with me, even though I wasn't hurt, because I was traumatized. She stayed with me until my husband arrived. I will always remember her and be grateful to her for being so kind. What you did for that driver counts more than you can imagine, Cholie. Thank you for being so kind.

Aquarius Aquarius
Feb '15

http://www.njherald.com/story/28160706/2015/02/20/hopatcong-high-school-senior-killed-in-route-46-crash

Article with pictures of both vehicles.

hhs75
Feb '15

I hate that stretch of 46, from the A&P in Mt.Olive to the Shoprite in Netcong is just terrible, unsafe. Always accidents and poor driving conditions. I hate driving on that portion of road. Prayers to the victims and their families. Very very sad and tragic.

terrible&traggic
Feb '15

There have been so many accidents at that intersection over the years that it defies logic that they don't make safety improvements.

That said, who goes blowing thru that intersection in either direction even with a green light?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '15

There is no traffic light where this occurred.

Old Wolfe Road is right across from the public beach at the end of the lake.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '15

No traffic light but I'm always very cautious in that area.

hhs75
Feb '15

This is so very unfortunate and sad. Prayers from me and my family to everyone involved. Whether that is directly or indirectly. Oh so very sad!

My daughter's boyfriend who is an EMT..was called to the tragic accident. He and his fellow EMT's are under going mandatory therapy to cope with witnessing first hand the loss of such a young person.

It's so sad, and I don't even want to imagine losing my child...to me that is the worst and most horrific imaginable thing and I would probably never recover from it.

positive positive
Feb '15

I have the Highest respect for EMT's and Triage nurses. It's a job that I could never do. My wife took care of all emergence care in our home,or she would have two patients. I can take on anything that happens to me, but not to some one else.
May God bless all that are involved in this tragic event and give them the strength to over come their feelings of remorse.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

I would like to think this person is a bit moronic but its possible I cannot comprehend this incoherent babble correctly. Stunned I guess.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hopatcong-sparta/hopatcong-teen-dies-after-2-car-crash-morris-county-cops-say-0#comments

I agree with you OLD TIMER. However,This discussion may fall on deaf ears because an officer of the Police state is involved. It may turn very biased as so to defend at all efforts. It is very unfortunate this had to happen here yet again. Websites from the local region are weighing in on this very subject and some remarks are out right ridiculous(local drunkards online alias of CALICO from surrounding townforums, etc). Some online personas are sickening with their remarks and I just hope that the victims,their families, and anyone else affected on any level are able to find peace and solic on all levels as soon as possible.

CS - Are you referring to me? If so, I have no idea what you are talking about. My solitary post above on this subject was far from ridiculous. This accident was a real shame.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

CS was quoting a person from the comments in the article he linked.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '15

Thanks Mark Mc. Now I understand CS's post.

Calico696, I think your original comment here was appropriate and heartfelt. I don't know why the poster on the Patch singled you out.

Chickadee Chickadee
Feb '15

Got it. Sorry CS, I completely misread your post. Huh, wonder what the comment from that weirdo is all about......

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Quite alright Calico. Not sure how to decipher that cryptic message though.

After seeing the pictures of both vehicles, which have been removed, I hope the speed of the trooper is being investigated. You can clearly see if someone is turning and it doesn't look as though he even tried to break. Straight has right of way unless the speed limit was exceeded...

hhs75
Feb '15

It is very very sad for everyone involved, but This is true how fast was that " state trooper " going ? And I know the car hit was given a tox screen, what about the state trooper. He had to be going some speed to T bone that car. So sad, let's see how this plays out. I have faith in Mt olive police would not covered this up or dismiss because of the drivers career. You would think that a State Trooper would have been trained or have the knowledge to avoid this collision, was he even looking at the road or hit his brakes ? His suv was demolished. He had to be speeding and no brakes applied at all.

Sadly concerned Sadly concerned
Feb '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.