Snow 2/1-2/2/15

Another system Sunday night into Monday is predicted. Hopefully it starts late enough Sunday night to not have an impact on travel home from Super Bowl parties.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Ha! I like how your concern is for the super bowl commute and not the Monday morning work commute ;)

Natalie Natalie
Jan '15

People go to work the day after the Super Bowl?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Not only do I have to work, I have to be here at 5:00 am... Uggghhh and now one of my customers just told me he heard 8-10 inches of snow

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '15

It begins. I heard..........you heard........they heard. I bet we'll be up to 24 - 36" before the day is done lol! Only 45 days until the Hackettstown St Patrick's Day Parade. Maybe we'll get "green snow" for the occasion.

John C John C
Jan '15

after this week, I don't believe the forecasters anymore. I will be prepared for snow no matter what, but not change my day because of it.

mom of one mom of one
Jan '15

Just heard maybe 5-6" Sunday into Monday. Hope they are wrong!

Yes ianimal, people work the day after the SB. ; ) Will you be home "recovering"?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

And people work DURING the SB! Especially when it's overtime! :-) I'll be working a 7PM-7AM shift Sunday night. Not really a football fan so might as well make the moolah!!! The ride home Monday morning already sounds like fun...

Not necessarily "recovering", some years yes, some years no... primarily, I'm just avoiding the large number of people on the roads who are still legally drunk from the night before, even though they think they are just "hung over".

The Super Bowl is a lot like New Year's Eve from an alcohol overconsumption standpoint, except that most people have off on New Year's Day and aren't a danger on the roads the day after.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Smart thinking ianimal. SB means nothing to a lot except if its a NJ/NY team.
I dont care. No party for me. Just want Patriots to LOSE!!!

Jan '15

For those keeping track

GFS shows about 1-3 inches

Euro 4-8

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Thanks Bryan.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Jan '15

How about just starting a Winter weather thread instead of a new one every single day.

Whatup
Jan '15

Thanks Bryan!

weebiekins weebiekins
Jan '15

Good to have a separate thread for each date. Otherwise gets to be a bit cumbersome. This way each storm is handled on its own merits, w/out having to scroll through 596 comments.

Dansker Dansker
Jan '15

The gen'l consensus of the models is this storm will be a pretty solid hit. Moderate snowstorm as it looks now. Major effect for anyone heading to any SB parties (or i should say heading home from).

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Uh oh. Any estimate on the timing of the system Bryan? The later it starts on Sunday, the better.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

The forecast so far on Intellicast .com (uses NOAA data) for Time and Probability is:

SUNDAY SNOW

40% chance @ 3pm
70% chance @ 8pm
90% chance @ 11pm

At 2am it's definitely snowing.

redmink1 redmink1
Jan '15

Thanks redmink!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

AWESOME....Next weekend we are heading up to Mt. Washington in NH for some camping, hiking and ice climbing. Can't wait.

just coach just coach
Jan '15

Camping? In NH in winter? Yikes! Better you than me. ;-)

Have a great time!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Yeah Euro model came north this morning when it ran at 1AM with a nice hit for the area if you're a snow lover! Let's see if it holds....

Bryan,

I will be driving to work at 2am. What will I be seeing as i go to work?

On a side note, you said you were in NC during Hurricane Fran. I was at Lake Gaston and rode it out. Very scary.

Thank you Bryan.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Jan '15

Mt Washington had a wind gust earlier this month of 129mph, temps lower than -30, and wind chills as low of minus 74! Talk about insanity!

As far as Sun night, it's safe to have more confidence in this storm over the last one for a few different reasons but i won't bore anyone That being said i would definitely expect at least moderate snow and moderate accumulations Sun night into Mon morning. If i had to thow out an early # it would be 4-8, though it could quite easily be more. Stay tuned.

As far as Fran i remember it pretty vividly. I guess it was a bit scary but i was in a concrete/brick dorm room with 100s of people so it was more of an experience than anything. It was very eery hearing the winds howl like a freight train all night. And the oddest thing was how consistent they were. In other words it wasn't like hearing sporadic wind gusts all night, it was just a very consistent howl. Lots of big trees down the next day on campus but other than that it was back to normal pretty fast.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

These meteorologists are all over the map.

NOAA = 90% chance of snow

News 12 = 45% chance of snow

Since this is a west to east storm as opposed to a coastal storm, one might assume that we will not escape without at least 4" due to the predicted temperatures. Not much of a chance that it "misses us".

I'm just trying to find out if it will have an impact on my Super Bowl travel. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Bryan.....yes Mt Washington has a reputation for intense weather on top. We will be around the base and in North Conway. Hike up the mountain on Saturday weather permitting.

just coach just coach
Jan '15

Although I am a football fan I will be missing most of the game because of my work schedule. I will be in 8:30pm-5am Sunday night into Monday morning. Looks like I might hit snow both ways and not looking forward to it. Going south into work and back north in the morning. The only thing making this not a bad day at Black Rock will be if the Patriots lose, hopefully by 1 point in the last second LOL.

Re: Snow 2/1-2/2/15

I agree MK, sounds like snow both ways for those of us who work Sunday night. Grrrr!

NOAA just posted Winter Storm Watches for our area beginning 7PM Sunday evening for 6-10 inches of snow along with some sleet and freezing rain.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NJZ007&warncounty=NJC041&firewxzone=NJZ007&local_place1=2%20Miles%20SE%20Hope%20NJ&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch&lat=40.915&lon=-74.9678#.VMym2dLF-VU

Snow Map: (Must be a mistake as the map is currently showing 10-14 for our area. Huh?)
http://www.weather.gov/phi/StormTotalSnowFcst

Wahooooo more snow!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

NOAA is sticking with the GFS more or less, Euro is showing 12-18 which will probably prove to be too high like the last storm...

Love how the weather people are now saying 4"- 8", instead of 4"-5" or 6"-8". Really trying to cover their a**. LOL

Jan '15

We are now into a 10-14 range:D

FrOzen
Jan '15

Men have been saying it for years botheredbyuu2

Firefly Firefly
Jan '15

LOL Firefly!!!! Guilty as charged!

yankeefan yankeefan
Jan '15

Here we go again.

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '15

4or 5, 6-8, those amounts are rarely used. If ever. I've said this before but a few inches of snow is the equiv of a shower in the summer. We don't have the technology to be that precise.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

I want weathermen to tell us how much snow to the hundredth of an inch and to be right every single time or we should be allowed to sue them for malpractice, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Yeah, that's why men typically get more upset at incorrect weather forecasts. Women are used to being told they're getting 8 inches and winding up with 3 or 4 instead, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

They said it yest and today.

Lol firefly

Jan '15

Darrin - one can only hope..! I will not trust any of these reports after last week's debacle..My new Mantra for the winter season: believe it...when I see it.. :) WOOT!!

darluggh darluggh
Jan '15

This storm is MUCH easier to forecast. Of course there will always be nuiances. Bul the previous storm did not even exist 12 hours before. This one is very different trust me. The only question is on accumulations depending on how much mixing there will be.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Taking a quick look at this i think 5-10 is a fair call right now. Kinda wide range but it reflects the uncertainty of how much, if any mixing. Models have trended towards more mixing but there are still 2 more important runs to go.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

5-10? CYA Bryan. Lol

Jan '15

Thanks Bryan!
I feel more confident in my Sunday/ Monday plans now that you gave your opinion.
I'm staying home and cleaning out some kitchen cabinets!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jan '15

Guess I'll stay home for the Super Bowl this year ...

that leaves me feeling very deflated.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Oh no Andy :(

Here you go:
http://youtu.be/FWa0f3lDPns

Andy-too funny.

Jan '15

Lmfao at Ianimal!! Did that go over everyone's head?! Lol

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Jan '15

I got it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Ianimal I think we needed that laugh. Haha
:-)

SnowRoads SnowRoads
Jan '15

Got it....

just coach just coach
Jan '15

I think we all "got it" H-town Mama...

joyful joyful
Jan '15

Thanks as always, Bryan!

Everyone got bread? :-P

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '15

Based on the latest guidance i'm thinking 4-8. Seems like there will be a lot of mixing early tomorrow. Freezing rain on top of snow then briefly back to snow with a huge temp drop by tomorrow night. Things will really freeze up and that could be ugly.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Got it too! Tomorrow is ground hogs day. Any forecast on whether he will see his shadow or not, Bryan?? LOL. It will be snowing, so I do believe he will not see and spring will come early. But with those spot lights they have on him who knows. HATE WINTER!!

Feb '15

Any word about timing for the snowfall tonight? Will there be an issue for those heading out for Super Bowl parties, or will things hold off until late tonight/early tomorrow?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '15

I saw this morning 8-11pm start time. Anyone hosting a SB party should expect company to be staying over night. LOL

Feb '15

why is the weather channel stuck? comcast has an issue i think

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '15

Yes, the Weather Channel has been "frozen" on the same screen since last night. No big loss, really. But I do like occasionally tuning in to see what they have to say about a storm.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Feb '15

accuweather for Allamuchy - as of now: accumulations...3 TO 8 inches of snow, with up to 2 tens of an inch of ice.
snow should move into the region late today

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

WeatherWorks' Sunday morning update calling for total of 6"-10" by late Monday.

http://www.weatherworksinc.com/radiowx/wrnj

justintime justintime
Feb '15

BD- maybe it's intentional. "Plausible deniability"

auntiel auntiel
Feb '15

any school closings yet?

Firefly Firefly
Feb '15

Haven't seen any in town but tons on news 12 website

Firstworldproblems Firstworldproblems
Feb '15

Mt Olive has a 3 hour delay

Mariann Mariann
Feb '15

Is hackettstown high or middle cancelled or do you think it will be

Roxbury and Mt. Arlington are closed

Dave G Dave G
Feb '15

WT Morris County- 2 hr delay.

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '15

Pope John is closed.

observer3 observer3
Feb '15

I just checked the Hackettstown district website to see about snow closing, and noticed that the message from the Superintendent on the home page says "Welcome to the 2014-2015 school year.....now that summer is drawing to a close...."

Is it really too much trouble for the Superintendent to update his message once in a while? That's embarrassing and sloppy, IMO.

pink lady pink lady
Feb '15

They are all professionals, what are you talking about :)

Hackettstown is ridiculous post if its closed are something

Matt may I suggest you go to bed, there will be no decision tonight. As far as I can tell, no warren county schools have delayed or closed. After Tuesday, I'm sure they want to wait until the am.

http://snowflake.goes.com/

justintime justintime
Feb '15

Lol last week people complained that they cancelled school on Tuesday too early. Now ppl are complaining that they actually doing the right thing and waiting until morning: o

Darwin Darwin
Feb '15

I happen to have off tomorrow , with out pay...... so I KNOW.... my place of employment will be closed.... the rest of them will get a free snow day. AGAIN! AAARRRR. I DO hope everyone who is driving tomorrow to stay safe, of course.

terry page terry page
Feb '15

How are the roads in Hacettstown?

Grace Y
Feb '15

Hackettstown schools are closed today as is Oxford Central School.

Great Meadows and Warren Tech are also closed.

Heaven Sent Nursery School is CLOSED today, February 2.

Lorinda Ravo Lorinda Ravo
Feb '15

Now the question becomes when to get started clearing this mess....

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '15

How are the roads? I need to get to Morristown by 230pm for a drs apt. Should I cancel?

olive olive
Feb '15

Been out since 7am plowing mine and a couple of neighbor's driveways out. Haven't seen a salt/plow truck go by. About a half inch of ice on the side street

Darwin Darwin
Feb '15

Blackcat - If you have a blower it may be too late depending on what you have. The rain has really been soaking into the snow. I'm glad I went right out and did it first thing. An hour later and I'm not sure a blower will work on it any more.

I just made it to Roseland from Hastings in a little under and hour including a stop to drop off my daughter. Just take it easy. I was able to go 65 most of the way on 80. Traffic is light.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Feb '15

There is a flash freeze forecast for this afternnoon between 3pm and 6pm. I would strongly encourage everyone to get this snow/ice/slush mixture off of their driveways and cars before this freeze hits or it will be several days before it has a chance to melt.

Ebert
Feb '15

Schooley's Mt. slushy, icy and not good. Side roads are a mess....

Russling Road was an absolute snowy slushy slippery mess at 9:45 this morning. Route 46 and side roads in town were fine.

Forget this afternoon guys. It went from above freezing to the teens now. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I can't stress how careful you need to be today. Even if the roads look ok. Huge black ice potential.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Feb '15

Re: Snow 2/1-2/2/15

From Eastern PA Weather Authority's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/easternpaweatherauthority/posts/605407646226846?notif_t=notify_me

***ALERT: FLASH FREEZE THIS AFTERNOON - FOR HIGHEST DISSEMINATION POSSIBLE FOR AREAS ABOVE FREEZING CURRENTLY - PLEASE SHARE***

Timing the flash freeze today - very dangerous with areas getting rain or above freezing areas right now... temperature drops of 10-15°F in one hour probable this afternoon. Probably a good idea to get rid of all snow/ice now, or it will freeze solid for a few days. Area roadways that are just wet will instantly freeze and cause serious problems this afternoon. Timing is on the second image below. 1st image is current conditions and position of front(s). PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

I had an appt. scheduled in Clinton at 4:15 today. I just rescheduled it. I don't mind driving in snow, but I don't do ice.

Be safe everyone!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

The flash freeze has already begun. Got home from work at 8am this morning and fired up the snowblower with freezing rain and 32 degrees. It then transitioned to sleet and as I was wrapping things up snow was working its way back and everything I had cleared with the snowblower was icing up bad including the snowblower itself! Temp down to 23 currently. And its currently 50 down in Cape May county!!! All this white stuff goes to concrete tonight!

Can anyone help me shovel? Over by the train station

SnowRoads SnowRoads
Feb '15

@SnowRoads - did you find someone to help?

It's pretty bad out there already.

i can come over after work with my snowblow, but won't be until after 5pm

darwin darwin
Feb '15

No I haven't found anyone yet. I could pay $20-25 for the driveway.

Darwin - will it work with all the ice?

SnowRoads SnowRoads
Feb '15

got a 26 inch craftsman (not sure of the hp rating) which i used around noon time, it worked hard to get through this (now) frozen snow, had to go slow and make several passes but got most of it. chute clogged up once, not too bad.

the cars are still covered in ice, and i don't want to scratch the paint, so i may just leave them, maybe

this was a heavy fall, if your shoveling, take it slow and easy,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '15

i did 3 driveways this morning with not too much trouble with the blower. i'm sure it got a little worst out since then but i should be able to manage.

text me at 908-240-8768 (Jim)

darwin darwin
Feb '15

Hackettstown schools have a 90 minute delay tomorrow, Tuesday, 2/3..

Darwin - that is very kind of you! I was going to offer to help with my shovel but it will be much later after work.

The Website for HHS says Wednesday feb 3 lol

Missrx Missrx
Feb '15

That's the new math

John C John C
Feb '15

Hahaha John C :)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.