Snow 1/29/15

Do we even talk about snow on Thurs? LOL

Iluvsnow
Jan '15

I'd like to know Bryan &/or Weatherworks take on that because it seems like that's pretty minor from what has been posted so far. The weekend looks so much more like it has some possibilities. Bryan certainly said to watch out for the whole weather pattern of the next couple of weeks. And it sure seems like Punky Phil is gonna be attempting to not come out at all on his most glorious day. ;-)

Since WeatherWorks is predicting a quick "clipper" event on Thursday, I will agree with them, for this storm.

Of course, with that said, these small storms are the ones that usually blow up.

I vote Calico696 our next area weather watcher! She is usually ahead of the game and is pretty much as good as any of our weather hobby people that are on this site.

(sorry Bryan, with you moving, we need someone that is located here with a bigger stake in the game)

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '15

Where do we access this Weather Works I keep hearing about?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '15

haha not a problem. I actually had a big stake in this one though and i'm glad it turned out the way it did.

Quick summary - Thurs nt into Fri looks minor. Sun night into Monday looks more formidable (or should i say potentially more formidable).

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

The thing that sucks about the storm from last night into this morning is that now no one is going to listen to the warnings the next time around.

Trust have been killed and we will see the impacts during the next decent storm.

Nosila Nosila
Jan '15

Speak for yourself nosila. If you don't have any experience reading the model s/understanding then you have no right to speak. Storm went east very fast. All the weather bashers should do some research on how predictions are determined

kay2015 kay2015
Jan '15

Ty br for ur hard work

kay2015 kay2015
Jan '15

kay2015- Touchy?

I didn't mean it in a bad way.

I also defended the weather people as they said the city was going to get hammered and they never said Warren County.

However, it's true people are PISSED at the weather forecasters and now they wont trust them the next go around. This is going to cause issues as people wont be prepared and also won't get off the road in time.

Nosila Nosila
Jan '15

Thanks Bryan. Your input will always be welcome here, but ya gotta have tough skin, as you well know. Hope to hear from you for future " weather events" when your schedule permits...

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jan '15

Can we at least stop naming the snow storms?? Not sure you whose idea it was to start naming the winter storms but it's stupid.

Darwin Darwin
Jan '15

Kay2015,
No right to speak? Sheesh! I'm new here but nosila seems like a great contributor. Why skunk people out like that?

Consigliere
Jan '15

Weather works does the forecasting for RNJ and a lot of other places, they are located in Hackettstown.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2015/01/how_the_blizzard_became_a_bust.html

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Thanks guys.

Yeah i've always said Weather Works is without a doubt as reliable a source as you can have. I mean they are professionals and they are right in H-town!

Darwin it's TWC that names storms. Most meteorolgists with any sort of credibility hate that, even some that work for them. Winter storms are not like hurricanes and the naming convention just doesn't work well but that's another story.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

And if people don't take responsibility for themselves when another storm arrives- no matter what the weather folk say- it's their own fault-though they will still blame someone, just not themselves.
And for the love of jelly beans, not Thursday night. Supposed to go see Billy Idol with DH and the little Blackcat.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '15

If it snows you'll be dancin with yourself, oh, oh, oh,oh.

Consigliere
Jan '15

Nosilla, I heard no forecaster say "Folks, this is a prediction and it may not be as bad as i am predicting."

EVV- That's a good one.

Nosila Nosila
Jan '15

Bryan, does 'Weather Works' have a forecasting web page, or are they strictly a paid service?

The Bishop The Bishop
Jan '15

So Bryan, how much Thurs night into Friday??

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

Weather Works is private. But i thought there is a radio station that carries their forecasts? Check their website. They may do a basic forecast or maybe only during significant storms?

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Weatherworks also has a facebook page

stressed out stressed out
Jan '15

Black cat is right. If your not prepared for a storm, it's your own fault.

kay2015 kay2015
Jan '15

If you look at Weatherworks web page and see the names of their meteorologists, the names Frank Lombardo and Tommy Else who I believe are the WRNJ broadcasters. A quick google of the other names reveals there are a bunch of radio stations including Magic 98.3, WCTC AM, and WTBQ that use their broadcasters.

BBU - the answer to your question is yes it will snow during that time :)

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Thurs night looks like dusting to 2 inches. With clippers you can usually place a safe better on the lower amounts.

Oddly the Sun night/Mon storm now looks much weaker and mainly to the south. These models will drive you crazy.

Don't quote me on exacts here. Since i'm not up there i'm not following as closely. Though for the 'blizzard' i certainly was.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Some of our local school districts also utilize Weatherworks for school closings, delayed openings and such.

Would love some extra fresh snow for Saturdays snowmobiling trip!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Thank you Bryan!!

Jan '15

Snowstorm Jeffrey due to hit tomorrow night, 1 to 3 inches. Head to Shoprite while there's still time!

Denis Denis
Jan '15

Judging from the posts, I'd say Bottle King is more popular than Shoprite. ;-)

Bread and milk ahhhhhhh

Milk man
Jan '15

Sun night storm back on again. The hedge is that it could get pushed to the south but the one thing i'd be pretty sure about is it would be all snow. Right now we're looking a lighter snowfall if it gets pushed south and a moderate one if it comes farther north.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Thank you Bryan !!!!!!!!!!!

just coach just coach
Jan '15

Looks like 1-2" after midnight tonight into the morning commute.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Hackettstown&state=NJ&site=PHI&lat=40.8538&lon=-74.8254#.VMouJMbdJEc

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

I can see people have no tolerance for forecasts that prove to be wrong.

Well, look at how many first round picks in Major League Baseball and the NFL either never make it or fail to live up to expectations.

There are some fields of endeavor where nobody gets it right every time.

If you think you can do better, get in there and show them how it is done.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

People probably don't even realize their tax payer $$$ go into the Nat'l Weather Service. Heck most people don't even use the noaa.gov site for their weather. Trust me these forecasters care deeply about giving accurate forecasts. Like me, i would bet weather is a passion for them moreso than a job. The reality is forecasting is not the easy job people make it out to be. The more you know about the atmosphere, the more you realize you DON'T know. I hate forecasting snow amounts. It's probably about the toughest thing to do. A few inches of snow is the equivalent of a shower in the summer. Imagine how difficult it can be when you think about it like that!

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

It can be like trying to hit a curveball off a major league pitcher.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Triple-A player who will remain nameless here ... he was griping because he was batting .300 in Triple-A while the guy ahead of him on the major league roster was batting .211 ...

a teammate interrupted and said, "he's hitting .211 in the MAJORS. Big difference."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Is it a good or bad sign the flurries have started?? Looks like about an hour early from previous forecasts.

It's a real bad sign

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '15

Re: Snow 1/29/15

I think this sums it up well.............

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

What a generation of cynics we have in this country today.

Either that or everybody is a Jimmy Fallon wannabe.

If the forecast is for two inches and we get 18, I'd like to see how people respond to THAT.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Looks like a heavy snow squall is approaching the area. This is from an arctic cold front. Temps will plunge this afternoon with lots of wind.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Think we got more snow over night and today, then on Monday/Tuesday. LOL!

Its coming down in PM, very slow, straight down. Looks pretty (OMG did I really say that).

Jan '15

Squeeze the moisture in the air due to the temperature drop plus the hilly terrain to produce snow squalls...

You got it Jay.

BBU - welcome to the dark side LOL.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

" Looks pretty (OMG did I really say that)." - Come to the Dark Side, Luke... ;-)

"Temps will plunge this afternoon with lots of wind." - Oooh baby, talk dirty to me..... What a glorious day.

LMAO GC!!! You're from another planet! haha.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

That's for sure

Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.