Hot Dog Johnny's

Besides me driving all the way (lol) there to find out they were closed for vacation..... :(.
Does anyone else like the hot dogs when they have been sitting around under the heat lamp? I prefer them that way and everyone thinks I'm gross for even considering that.

I love 7-11 hot dogs haha and theyre on one of those hot rollers. I actually like them better than Johnnys

icicle icicle
Jan '15

I like them at johnnys but nothing beats a plain ol dirty water dog!

Booster90 Booster90
Jan '15

We passed Hot Dog Johnnys today too on the way home from Belvidere today and I said pretty much the same thing...Wondering why they were not open. Usually any time of the day or night it is wall to wall cars at that place.

joyful joyful
Jan '15

Dirty water/steamed dogs are my preference as well.

Frankly, all-PORK dogs are my preference.... they are VERY hard to find at hot dog joints, and impossible to find retail.

The last place I say an all-pork dog was at the famous little hot dog stand in Cape May...2 years ago.... Hot Dog Tommy's. Unfortunately, we went back last year, and the dogs were a beef/pork blend... (still delicious tho!)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '15

Toby's Cup on 22 in PBurg, like them better plus the thick shake is fantastic.

http://www.hollyeats.com/TobysCup.htm

TominWashington TominWashington
Jan '15

Pretty much everyplace is better than Johnnys, its all about the location for them. No kraut? Whats up with that!
Like the fries.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '15

Definitely a fan of Toby's Cup hot dogs. Both the taste and the price is right!

christy christy
Jan '15

Johnny's goes on vacation this time, every year...they will be open again in 2 weeks.

irishgirl irishgirl
Jan '15

Go to the Royal bar in Branchburg.

I went there today for the utmost time.

I get the Texas dog (spicy chili, chopped onions mustard) and they are fantastic.

The dogs are always shriveled but thick with a nice bite. Buns and toppings always tasty.

I also get the Philly burger which is a burger with a philly cheesesteak on top.

Delicious..

Oh..and they always have 3-4 hoppy choices to choose from.

I like Davy's dogs on Howard blvd. the only reason I like hot dog johnnys is nostalgia

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Jan '15

Oh, but yeah I totally don't mind the heat lamp dogs

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Jan '15

Jimmys hot dogs.. off rt 22 in easton 25th exit. steamed buns, be ready to order, kinda like a soup nazi experience..this joint been around for years.

marty mcfly marty mcfly
Jan '15

Has anyone tried kielbasa hot dogs? Alpine in Blairstown sells them. They're really good. That should satisfy your all-pork dog leanings as well, JR.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '15

I've gotta 2nd Jimmys. It is well worth the drive. Hot Dogs only with your choice of Ketchup, Mustard, Onions and Pickles. There is no Chili or Saurerkraut or French Fries available.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Jan '15

Kielbasa is NOT a hot dog... they are spiced differently, taste differently. I like Kielbasa, but a pork hot dog tastes like a hot dog, not like kielbasa, lol

Jan '15

What I really like, is a great foot long hot dog!
Haven't seen one of them beauties in years. Wouldn't even know where to go to get some!

I remember in the 70's .... there was a place on Central Ave. in East Orange called "The Kosher Irishman".... He had great regular size dogs that sat and were cooked in steamer kettles.
I ate 9 of those one day on my lunch hour. I went back to my job on a construction site, and I was so sick ( From Gluttony ), that I had to sit down against a wall, until the hot dogs passed out of my stomach! ...... I swore never again.
Next day, I was back for lunch there, but only had three dogs.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jan '15

Didnt realize they are open when its 20 degrees. Thought they closed for winter. Havent been there in years. Will take a trip out in a few weeks.

AA-I like them that way too.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

The After, on Route 206, has foot long dogs on their menu. I noticed on Saturday when we were there . Perhaps I will try one next time.
Many, many years ago there was a stand called Tony's ( if I remember correctly) that sold 12" dogs. I think it was near Ledgewood. It could have been a Stewart's franchise. It was a long time ago, so all I remember is the hot dogs and much else.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jan '15

Best thing to get at HDJ's - french fries and a root beer! skip the dog.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '15

Stewarts on US-22 in Lebanon has foot long hot dogs, I believe...as does Sonic on SR 31 in Raritan Township.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

JBKSKJ, it was Tony's that you are talking about . It was on Rt. 10 in Succasunna. Great foot longs and great root beer !

Mariann Mariann
Jan '15

Sonic, , YUCKY! : (--

Jan '15

All this talk of Hot Dog Johnny's is making me hungry! *must hold out until lunchtime*

The Bishop The Bishop
Jan '15

True JR. They are really good, nonetheless.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '15

LOL, bby... we're talking about hot dogs. Sonic's are actually pretty good. A hell of a lot better than HDJ's, if you ask me.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Must disagree ianimal. ; )

Jan '15

Hot Grill gets my vote. Cubby's is down the street from my office, but my All-Time favorite was Callahan's and I just heard rumor they are re-opening in Norwood..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '15

Thank you Mariann, That's the place.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jan '15

That Sonic "Coney Island" (chili and cheese) dog tastes pretty darned good to me!!! And my wife loves the...chicago?...one?

Jan '15

JR, throw some tater tots on that Coney... top notch, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

I've lived here for over 18 years and I've hadn't found a good dog yet compared to Dickee Dees, JJ's.

positive positive
Jan '15

I'm always a step behind the times ... have yet to visit a Sonic.

That's the NBA team in Seattle, right? LOL

Anyone in Baltimore will tell you Ess Kay has the best hot dogs ... if it's good enough for Cal Ripken, it's good enough for me.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Taste the difference quality makes (-;

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-26/sports/bal-oriole-park-hot-dogs-rated-best-in-league-by-man-touring-mlb-ballparksoriole-park-hot-dogs-rated-bes-20140626_1_ballpark-stuggy-josh-distenfeld

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

THAT PLACE IS AWFUL !! Dried up hot dogs sitting around , tasting like they were boiled. the fries in a little paper holder were like burger king YUK, the drinks were even lousy, soda I'm talking about. Lets talk about the price 2 dogs, 1 fry. 2 drinks 20 bucks. I walked out saying they had a gun & mask on. It was AWFUL tasting. The BEST is Ruts Hut or Jimmy Buffs.

tangerine tangerine
Jan '15

Locally, I like Toby's in Phillipsburg.

Also, Yocco's in Bethlehem and Allentown, also is good.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Unfortunately for me I was raised on Kosher hot dogs that sat on a flat grill and rotated regularly. My favorites were the well done ones that were left on the grill until they were shriveled and crisp. I rarely have a hot dog out because I can't get them like that so I grill my own until they are that way. My favorite french fries were from Nathan's in Coney Island and everything else was second or third or last like Burger King LOL. My wife on the other hand likes boiled hot dogs but will also accept a burnt one from the grill. I had Toby's Cup when I lived in Alpha and Hot Dog Johnny's on a rare occasion. No contest, Toby's Cup wins that face off. I also think Yocco's in Allentown is good for a tasty hot dog. Experiences with other hot dog vendors is limited since I rarely have them out of my home.

When I worked around the Hackensack area I enjoyed the Dogs from Cubby's BBQ on S. Water Street in S. Hackensack near the prison. Their signage back then used to say something about home to the original Texas Weiner or something similar, but they now play up the BBQ and burger aspect, but the Dogs were always great there.

http://www.cubbysbarbeque.com/

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

I agree, I love Yocco's

So much so, my family has bought me a bunch of gift certificates to them. (there are multiple locations.)

Yocco's chili dog with raw onions. Now that was 80's college living in the Lehigh Valley.

I like HDJ's building and location, and I have to respect any place that sells buttermilk. Unfortunately, I've never been too impressed with their dogs. I also don't like how they get all indignent if you ask for sauerkraut. I do go there occasionally if I'm fishing on the Pequest... and I always ask for sauerkraut.

gadfly gadfly
Jan '15

Yucko's? When I'm in A-town, I prefer the Brass Rail for my mustard, onion, chili dog fix...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.