PARCC Testing

I am trying to get caught up on the hysteria I am reading about PARCC testing (for English and Math skills). I read that several states who previously agreed to the pilot have withdrawn from it, additionally several school districts in NJ are challenging it. Locally, I have spoken to parents who are against it and others who seem unphased by it since its going to replace the previous standard testing anyway. What I gather is the testing is a dramatic change in philosophy going from determining problem solutions to demonstrating problem solving. And the testing is done with a computer requiring good navigational skills. Just the other day, I ran into a concerned parent who is considering have her children "opt-out" from the testing. Up until a few weeks ago I was not too concerned but hearing and reading on what is transpiring raises a big concern. Since we all know NJ politics has its hand on this like district funding, what are the real benefits?

Mike L Mike L
Jan '15

Mike L - How old are your kids? Here is information that has been provided to the community by WMRHSD -

https://sites.google.com/a/wmrhsd.org/parcc-readiness/

There aren't any benefits. Unless you like your children's teachers only teaching what's on the test. Then it's right up your alley.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

I am a teacher and it is a nightmare, totally against it. Also no child can opt out and if you decide to keep your child home, the day they return they will be tested, also I was informed in our meetings about this: if your child does not take this test the state can hold them back a grade.

Firstworldproblems Firstworldproblems
Jan '15

I am also a teacher. Not only do the teachers have to teach to the test to make the school districts look good when the scores come out, but so much time and energy is wasted preparing the teachers and children to take this computer test. The questions are "multi-function", where students will have to manipulate more than just a mouse. For English/Literature, students will have to compare 2 separate types of literature on a split screen, watch a video, hi-lite important information within the body of the text they have read, etc., to answer questions. There are so many problems with this test... and this type of testing, for the general ed population, not to mention the special ed students, who are also being required to take the same tests. I recently read in a journal that once these tests are scored, the really difficult questions the students bombed on this year will be discarded, causing the next year's test scores to go up, making the districts look like they improved. I am sorry to say that I do not see the value.

the only people who win here are the ones who own the company supplying the computers and testing equipment! Sounds like someone got paid off to me!

That's the first I've heard anyone say anything about being held back for opting out. Source?

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

Well the source is I am a teacher and it was stated to us several times while in PARCC inservice workshops the past months. We have specialized training from The state on procedures and they cover and repeat EVERYTHING tons of times throughout videos and powerpoints.. That was in a section. ( I teach at a special education school and same applies to our students as well)

Jan '15

That may be a school or district based consequence. I've never read anything about that in all of my research. I also can see that being more of an empty threat and/or the basis for a lawsuit!

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

You can send them to school and still have then "opt out." They cannot force your child to take it. It will be up to the district to provide alternate instruction/activities for that time. Sitting and staring at a computer screen is not an option.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

Additionally, NJ101.5 discussed this topic *all week.*. Their website may have more info or snippets of the morning radio talk.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

PARCC seems to be a part of Common Core.

In my opinion, Common Core and some of its predecessors (like Chicago Math - remember that GMRSD parents?? Ever try to help your kid with math homework? You couldn't) was designed to remove parents from the educational process. Teachers who say that "parents should be involved in their children's education" mean it, at least publicly, only to the extent that parents enable the children to learn the way they are taught in our current educational system.

Our educational system is based on the Prussian Model which dates from the late 1700's. In it's original form, it was geared towards producing "obedient citizens." Ya' got the three R's and a lot of indoctrination. King Frederick would be proud to see how his system is employed today.

Crap is crap. Opt out.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jan '15

"Also no child can opt out and if you decide to keep your child home, the day they return they will be tested, also I was informed in our meetings about this: if your child does not take this test the state can hold them back a grade."

Firstworldproblems

I just had the Superintendent of the WT, (Morris County) k-8 district confirm to me that there is no such policy.

A 4th-grader figured out what PARCC spells backwards...:)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

They CAN make kids sit at the screen - it's a district decision. However, some have indicated they won't.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

Well it is what was told to us and all our staff at our meetings we have been having was all on the Pearson instruction PowerPoints we are required to watch

Jan '15

And again Firstworldproblem the information you were given is wrong -

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/14/11/03/administration-moves-to-make-sure-all-seats-filled-for-parcc-tests/

Btownguy, children who are not taking the test are not even allowed to be in the same room with kids that are.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

This is why I want preschool to last forever :-)

Ok well the state is giving all the teachers false Information then

Jan '15

It's district to district. Some will be passively punishing by making them sit and stare.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

What I gather...the testing seems very complicated and controversial. Teachers are spending or will be spending a significant amount of classroom time preparing their students. Thanks to all the teachers for having to take this on! But why consider to opt-out? What does that prove? I would rather show the PARCC administrators the testing is flawed and use the anticipated sub standard results as evidence. And what kind of message are we sending to our kids that it's okay not to comply with school requirements.

Mike L Mike L
Jan '15

It's not a school requirement. It's a requirement forced upon the school by the state.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

I went to a conference at Rutgers and one of my workshops was on the PARCC with representatives from the state. They specifically said that the children cannot be in the same room with the other students if they are not taking the test (it was a question asked by an audience member). I also just confirmed with my husband (we are both teachers) because his district has an employee who is on a committee for the PARCC that is national, and he confirmed that the student cannot be in the classroom. It is not district to district. I haven't ever heard about children staying back though, so I am not sure on that one. Students on the NJASK had the option of opting out of the test, however it was not promoted (obviously) and I know from my own experience with a student, the administration tried to tell the parent that every child had to take the test, flat out lying.

I don't agree with the amount of testing the kids take. My middle school students, who know how to use Instagram, Facebook, and all of these other apps on a tablet/laptop, have absolutely no idea how to truly use a computer. They type with one finger on each hand, have no idea how to save documents, or utilize all of the tools available. Even though I use technology all of the time with them, it does make me nervous on their overall lack of knowledge of computers.

I took the PARCC sample test for English/Language Arts 7th grade and I had to read 2 documents on Amelia Earhart, watch a short video, and then answer some complex questions, having to flip back and forth through the documents and video. I do feel it is incredibly important to hold your students to a high standard and I make sure to push them in the classroom, but even I felt this test will be over a lot of their heads. It will take time for students to get use to this format and the style of questions, so scores may not be where parents, students, teachers, and administration feel they should be. Thankfully the way I lay out my units of study over the school year, I don't have to cram all of this last second knowledge into my students heads and we just have 1- 1 1/2 weeks of review depending upon the class. I try not to stress my students out about the test, but sometimes it is the parents who place the stress on the child, wanting them to achieve a high score or the students placing the stress upon themselves.

I also don't feel it is necessary to test students twice so close together. It is impossible for middle school teachers to really have a full unit of study during that time. Either way, lets just add more to everyone's plate and more stress for all parties involved.

Sorry for the long rant, but state testing drives me crazy as both a teacher and a person who personally hates taking tests. It is important to assess the students and to track their growth, but if a teacher is doing their job, then they should have numerous assessments throughout the year anyways. When I was in school, you had to test in 4th grade (CAT testing I think it was called), 8th grade (GEPA), 11th grade (HSPA), as well as the SAT's. Now kids take it from 3rd grade thru high school. I promise I am done for now with my rant:-)

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '15

When I was in 11th grade we were given I think was either CAT or ACT. Either way our class lost some privileges due to a school prank that wasn't bad at all. Some 11 grade students that were in the print shop doctored up the school news letter. Just before they gave the test they announced our 11grade class trip was being canceled and we were going to have a make shift field day instead. The majority of our class decided to just make C for the answer to every question. Our writing samples were a folklore story about one of the teachers and did not comply with the required sample. Needless to say it sent a message and they canceled our class trip totally. We all skipped school, met at in the parking lot of K-Mart then went to the beach on the class trip day.

So just if they make your kid take the test just have them pick any answer just to get through it.

Also my wife is a teacher and our kids are opting out.

Could someone please site a source where it says we can have our children opt out of testing?

Everywhere I have searched online says they do not have that option.

For example,

In accordance with the above, State law and regulations require all students to
take State assessments. For the 2014-2015 school year, the PARCC assessment will replace the
prior statewide assessments - the NJASK in grades 3-8 and HSPA in high school; as such, all
students shall take the PARCC assessment as scheduled. Since the PARCC assessment is part of
the State required educational program, schools are not required to provide an alternative
educational program for students who do not participate in the statewide assessment. We
encourage all chief school administrators to review the district’s discipline and attendance
policies to ensure that they address situations that may arise during days that statewide
assessments, such as PARCC, are being administered.

and

“A good parallel is compulsory attendance,” Hespe said on Friday. “Parents don’t have the option, students are supposed to go to school. The same with [opting out], they don’t have that option.”

Have a friend who prefers her children don't take it and is being told they must. I would like to send her documentation to take with her stating they can opt out, if available. Thanks.

Terry P
Jan '15

This is just one article from teacherbiz blog (a blog of a teacher in NJ) that interprets and explains:

https://teacherbiz.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/newsflash-2-according-to-parcc-sit-and-stare-violates-parcc-policy/

Here's the top of the blog:
https://teacherbiz.wordpress.com/

And this guy's argument is excellent:
http://christienken.com/2015/01/24/parking-the-rhetoric-on-parcc/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

I have 4 NJ teachers in my family and for the first time I can remember they all agree on something, and that is is test is not good; not for the students and not for the teachers.

They all feel that the whole goal is going to focus on teaching the kids TO the test and teaching the kids HOW to test. It just further erodes the educational process down to one small thing. Also, the whole idea of the test is not even to necessarily show how much you know or how intelligent you are - but if you could memorize the test preparation info and HOW you came up with your answer.

They (and I) feel that this is getting the kids farther from real world ways of learning and doing things.

When you are at work and you come up with a great idea that the boss wants to implement, he says "Bob, that's a great idea! We need to do this. I am going to bring this great idea to the president!" He does not say "Well Bob before we can discuss this further, please explain in 3 paragraphs or more exactly HOW you came up with this idea. Then we can actually discuss the idea further."

Heidi Heidi
Jan '15

Back when grandma was teaching teachers used to WRITE THEIR OWN curriculum. They came up with cool ideas to teach things and could incorporate hands on learning, field trips, life skills, projects and films (remember the big reel to reels, lol).

Kids spent time blowing things up in chemistry (a common occurrence for the chemistry class to evacuate, haha!), had all species of snakes, lizards, bunnies, fish, frogs, etc, etc in the biology room (in one of my classes we raised chickens and cooked the eggs for breakfast. Made our own butter for the toast by shaking mason jars full of fresh cream). There was "study hall" where you could do your homework and an hour for lunch (and you could sit outside on the grass with your friends, go home and make a sandwich, go to get pizza or eat the cafeteria goo).

In the 70's and we had many different art classes, cooking, sewing, creative writing, wood shop, metal shop, classes on budgeting, investing, keeping a checkbook, etc. Sadly, now the kids are taught to the test, bored out of their minds, have no fun and are treated like little automatons instead of individuals with different learning styles and life goals. It seems that it happened so insidiously that we just go with it, like the frog put in a pot will just sit there and let himself get boiled to death as long as it's a slow process.

Heidi Heidi
Jan '15

This is what happens when those without educational degrees or experience make educational decisions.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

What about writing local congressman? It's the state enforcing it not the local school districts. Any complaints have to go to the department of education. From what I have heard, there is no opt out. It's mandatory testing.

Ok, so I just read what schools are doing all over the state. Administrators cannot physically make children take the test. Each school has to come up with a plan about what they are going to do with children not taking the test. Millburn is telling children to stay home and will excuse the absence, Bloomfield is trying to find alternative activities/instruction. Parents have to ask the administration to come up with a plan of what they are going to do. Administrators are dodging the subject because they are not technically allowed to tell parents that they can't force their children to take the test. The state requires 95% of students from the districts to complete them. Unfortunately, our schools depend on state and federal funding. I think the saddest thing is that the poorer school districts are going to have the hardest time with scores because reading levels are behind as it is.
The more I read, the more I think we should all keep our children home the day of testing. Its a poorly designed test and it is not in the best interest of the children. There is a whole state wide opt out movement going on.

big article in the Star Ledger today---------------and yes yet again I am grateful that I am retired............teachers are having the life and the talent and the creativity sucked out of them and the children are the ones that pay---

There is always and often the "next great thing" that will solve everything...........never allowed to be tried long enough and teachers who must implement are never asked wht worked/didn't work..........What a system.............Yes very grateful ( and I did love teaching)

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

I am also a teacher and I agree with everyone that this is a NIGHTMARE. I won't even go into it as it's a Sunday and I don't want to feel discouraged about going to work tomorrow! The only comfort I have in giving the test is that I'm fairly certain that the scores for this waste of time test are going to be horrendous and hopefully that will send a message to these idiots making educational decisions that have no education, background, or experience in the education field or classroom. It's very sad what teachers are being put through. When the scores show, I'm sure we'll be the ones to blame like usual. We'll get our pay cut and be told that we're not teaching the right way. Ugh!

Its YOUR child. NO ONE can MAKE them take the test.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

botheredbyuu2 - No, they can't physically MAKE any child take any test - however they can make it so if they don't they fail, or they get held back (I have been reading info on the test and am finding conflicting info on the holding back issue).

It's just like saying that nobody can FORCE you to get your child vaccinated - but they CAN say if you are NOT vaccinated you can't enter the school building. Some states have gotten rid of the exemption and NJ wants to so very badly.

It's forcing you into something the back door way.

Heidi Heidi
Jan '15

The whole point of PARCC, Common Core, No child left behind, etc is to hand over as much of our educational system to for profit private companies as possible while removing any instruction requiring independent thought and the questioning of authority. Not only do testing companies make a fortune but teaching to tests and following set guidelines makes it easier for charter schools (which always underperform public schools except for a few cherry picked examples) to hire babysitters posing as teachers.

Meanwhile good teachers are being drummed out of the profession and their unions are destroyed so they have no recourse when they try to speak up and New Jerseyans have been eating it all up --praising Christie every time he "takes on" the wasteful public unions. Of course, unions are the only powerful voice the middle class has--so congratulations for helping the 1% gain even more power. Democrats are no better on this issue either, buying into the "corporations will save our schools" lie just as much. Thankfully, the districts that have been most impacted by these takeovers, like Philadelphia, are fighting back. So far, New Jerseyans seem to be too timid to care enough to stop the test.

Frisky1 Frisky1
Jan '15

Heidi, I see that as being a gateway to big lawsuits...

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

Heidi -

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/documents/religious_exemption.pdf

"Religious Exemptions:
N.J.S.A. 26:1A – 9.1 provides an exemption for pupils from mandatory
immunization “if the parent or guardian of the pupil objects thereto in a written
statement signed by the parent or guardian upon the grounds that the proposed
immunization interferes with the free exercise of the pupil’s religious rights.” All
schools, child care centers, and local health officers may be advised that the
religious exemption extends to private, parochial, and public institutions...

• Medical Exemptions:
N.J.A.C. 8:57 – 4.3 allows for exemptions to immunizations which are medically
contraindicated. A written statement shall be submitted to the school, preschool,
or child care center from a physician licensed to practice medicine or osteopathy
or an advanced practice nurse (certified registered nurse practitioner or clinical
nurse specialist) indicating that an immunization is medically contraindicated for
a specific period of time, and the reason(s) for the medical contraindication,
based upon valid medical reasons as enumerated by the Advisory Committee on
Immunization Practices (ACIP) or the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
guidelines.

Objections to vaccination based on grounds which are not medical or religious in
nature and which are of a philosophical, moral, secular, or more general nature continue to be unacceptable"

Also, I'd love to see your source that says kids who opt out of taking the exam will be held back. I have found no such credible source.

http://www.nj.com/education/2015/01/what_happens_if_nj_students_dont_take_the_parcc.html

Here you go for everyone wondering... What happens if a student opts out.

BLD - You misread my post.

Read my post again. I never said there was no exemption in NJ. I personally used the religious exemption for my kids when they were in school and my daughter plans on using it for hers. Nowhere in my post did I say there was no exemption.

Don't know where you got that from.

What I said was..." Some states have gotten rid of the exemption and NJ wants to so very badly." There are politicians in the state that want to do away with both exemptions and some states already have.

Heidi Heidi
Jan '15

Also BLD I never said I had a "source that said kids will be held back".

I SAID that some of the things (blogs, info from schools, etc) have stated that they may use (at their discretion) holding the child back if they refuse the test. I have found nothing that bans schools from doing it, and some are talking about putting that option on the table.

I have no idea how in the world you got any of that out of what I said, lol!

Heidi Heidi
Jan '15

We can only hope that NJ gets rid of the Vaccination loop holes. Too many crack pots and imbeciles not vaccinating their children as it is.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '15

People.

Please do your research. Read the PARCC manual. There is so much hysteria here because there are no FACTS!

First, the PARCC manual clearly has a policy which states "non-testing students are not allowed in the testing environment". It also states that administrators who make a child "sit and stare" are in danger of losing their certifications.

Second, Pearson, the DOE, and the BOE have all stated that each district can determine how they will handle refusals.

Third, and really the final point to be made, is that the US Supreme Court has ruled onsistently that parents have the ultimate authority with regard to their child's education. Washington v. Glucksburg, 521 U.S. 702 (1997) states clearly "In a long line of cases, we have held that, in addition to the specific freedoms protected by the Bill of Rights, the "liberty" specially protected by the Due Process Clause includes the rights . . . to direct the education and upbringing of one's children."

Additionally, the PARCC test is one of the requirements for graduation, however, federal law provides that it can not be the only requirement for graduation. There must be other methods to meet graduation requirements.

So, please spend some time doing your homework. And if anyone has any information regarding what I posted, especially if I am wrong, please send me the facts so I can be more informed.

I just read about a bunch of bills that will be introduced to clarify this mess: http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15/01/30/diegnan-enters-parcc-fray-with-bill-formalizing-opt-out-procedures/

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

rm - as I understand it, the parcc test will be a requirement for graduation as you stated, but the specifics are still being worked. since parcc testing is at multiple grade levels, it is not yet clear if graduation means only from 12th grade, or from earlier grades as well. and so far, the only option I've heard if a student opts-out is to get a certain score on sat tests.

ken e
Jan '15

12th is the only grade you actually "graduate" from.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

This is a nightmare for most kids with an IEP. Can they get help with the navigation?

Right now my son has special instructions in his IEP for standardized testing. He has to take the tests, but the time limit is increased for him and the instructions are read out loud to him individually, to be sure he understands.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '15

Does anyone know Hackettstowns policy for opting out? Other towns are accepting opt out letters.

Njchia Njchia
Feb '15

Check with the school. And then inform your child that if they are placed in a room to take the test that, despite what they are told, they do not have to take it. Conscientious objectors.

btownguy btownguy
Feb '15

I personally know a parent who is using this as an example.
Opt-options are at the bottom of the article.
www.njpen.com
From my phone the above link takes you to the home page. Navigate to News for the latest info on PARCC testing.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '15

Can the test results be used to profile students education direction and I don't think its fare if they do

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '15

i thought, whether you opt-out or not, each student must still take a test and "pass" in order to graduate.

ken e
Feb '15

FYI-
The Bridgewater-Raritan School District just took action regarding the parcc.

http://brrsd.k12.nj.us/news.cfm?story=2850

lizat
Feb '15

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/assembly-panel-passes-bill-pausing-parcc-tests-1.9930992

just got this info

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

HHS is having kids do PARCC testing at home, requiring them to bring a printed results sheet back to school.

Bizzarro. I think I need to learn more about this.

justintime justintime
Feb '15

justintime--I think you're referring to a practice test that some students are required to take at home. The official test must be completed in school.

Also, in regard to those wishing to opt out.... from what I understand, if a district has less than 95% of its students taking the test, it will lose some of its state funding. Probably not a real concern, but just thought it deserved mentioning.

States will not lose federal funding if less than 95% of students take the test. https://teacherbiz.wordpress.com/2015/02/12/guest-post-nj-legislators-need-to-stand-up-for-our-children-by-christopher-tienken-ed-d-and-julia-sass-rubin-ph-d/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '15

justintime, that's extra hilarious, because the answer keys are available online:

http://parcc.pearson.com/practice-tests/english/

http://parcc.pearson.com/practice-tests/math/

Thanks DD and ha, I've been hearing about this PARCC stuff but am so busy haven't had time to look into it.

Justintime Justintime
Feb '15

I really don't get the whole thing of why is this a problem. I actually believe that there should be a standardized test to pass each grade.

All I hear is that teachers now would have to teach to a test, teachers don't test now?
Seriously, don't get it. I always think parents are so sensitive when it comes to the children.
Let the kids be tested, they should be challenged. They will be fine.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Feb '15

kids are already tested several times a year - and teachers are pressured to teach what's on the test- which totally limits what they can teach -- the new test is a hot mess- and it requires all to do it on computer - regardless of previous experience with computers -- BWG - you need to do your homework - you don't know what you're talking about right now

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

I have to agree. I don't get what the big deal is. I hear teachers complain that it's taking away from class time but they are on facebook celebrating every time we have a delayed opening or snow day.

here's a little something for those of you who don't really get what teachers do: http://youtu.be/h5yg0u1MkDI

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

BEG - the concept of teaching to the test is that of replacing the established curriculum and focusing instruction not on thr enrichment and broadening of the mind, but on the passing of the test. Since test tesults may impact funding and teacher evaluations, many are pressured to forego reading Shakespeare to instead practice reading prompts in the style of the test. Who needs to learn Algebra when we can instead teach how to use a paper protractor for a test!

Standardized testing implies that all children in all towns, regardless of socioeconomic status or cultural background, are learning the exact same material. In order to do this, all teaching approaches and styles must be the Same as well. With that idea we move beyond the idea of a teacher that can tailor instruction to their students and, instead, are bound by this factory stylized approach that all students will learn the same way, achieve the same way and have the same approach to learning.

So... It is a GREAT idea... If you like wasting time, not teaching children to think, don't want teachers to teach and want to create factories instead of inspire children to grow.

btownguy btownguy
Feb '15

well said and explained, btownguy

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

But couldn't an argument be made that teachers who are less competent would be pulled up by the PARCC standard?

Standardized testing teaches kids how to think? Not sure I agree with that, especially given the real world results that are seen. Standardized tests, by very definition, present only a limited amount of information - one sided, if you will. Besides, remember that it's not parents or local teachers choosing what's important to teach (and what to ignore), it's now a business decision. Will a business ever put your child's best interest first if they won't profit from it? Don't think so.

I agree wholeheartedly with the goal of teaching *how* to think, I just don't believe it can be standardized. Every living person on the planet is different, has different ways of learning, and processes information in their own unique way. Some are strong in math, others in art, still others in history - pretty obvious when you think about it. Each individual works toward a destiny inline with their inherent abilities and personality. The hard part - the part that great teachers do so well - is figuring out what individuals need and tailoring their teaching methods to fit. IMO, variety is what we really need, not more sameness.

How can standardized test address the reality that every student is and always will be, different?

justintime justintime
Feb '15

Who said standardized tests teach kids to think? Certainly not I.

btownguy btownguy
Feb '15

if this test is truly so worthless. kids today are smart. they can organize a peaceful protest. by completely messing it up and making results worthless and state will be forced to stop testing if no one comply s. cant just keep giving a test everyone refuses to do correctly.

5catsmom: What an incredible video! Viewing it makes me feel like what I do is still worthwhile.

Res2: The notion that teachers are flocking to social media to celebrate the fact that we have an hour and a half delay is comical. Out of the hour and a half we "miss" (a misnomer because the schedule is consolidated) from our school day, 10 minutes is subtracted from lunch, 30 minutes is subtracted from recess (no recess), 15 minutes is subtracted from prep (students' specials) and drum role....we miss a grand total of 25 minutes of content instructional time.

Regarding not knowing what the big deal is, fair enough. I agree that everyone in all professions should be held accountable. The problem is that the PARCC assessment does not match the instruction and assessment conducted the other 170 days of the school year. Students are having to learn how to take the PARCC, not how to read and write for their future success. Simultaneously, teachers are being "trained" piecemeal, as the test which is due to begin in three weeks continues to evolve.

teacherintown
Feb '15

There is a petition on Moveon.org against the PARCC. http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/nj-say-no-to-parcc-high

hopeful hopeful
Feb '15

For those that are in LV there will be a meeting with the superintendent on Feb 23

https://docs.google.com/a/wtschools.org/forms/d/1wPKaiZGpd-g_RewltheSV-Z63lNw_vq7A4caJuPLyo4/viewform

Trick Trick
Feb '15

Re: PARCC Testing

Mt olive seems to be crossing a line. Channel 9 at 10pm tonight!

If you're considering opting out of PARCC, please call the NJ Senate Majority Office today (609) 847-3700 and let the person who answers the phone know that you are calling to ask NJ Senate President Steve Sweeney to pass S2767. It takes about 30 seconds to make the call. S2767 is the NJ legislation that allows parents to opt out. It should be coming up to vote very soon.

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

remind me again why anyone feels a need to opt-out of a test?

I understand that the student might get nervous, but that's not a reason to avoid the test. I understand that teachers don't like the test, because it requires a different lesson plan and requires teaching how to take the test (not just the test material). But as long as the test is offered, they will have to change their teaching for it, even if everyone opts out. I understand that some students might not do well on the test, and for various reasons.

So what reason does a parent have to opt out?

ken e
Feb '15

"So what reason does a parent have to opt out?"

Civil disobedience used as a means to convey how strongly you oppose what's going on. Politicians can control this, but will only do so if they feel threatened (re: votes), this is a way to express the seriousness of the situation at a time other than an election. Also, it creates buzz and media coverage, which if you believe you are on the right side of the argument, is a good thing for your agenda.

If I had kids in the schools, I'd take them out those days and do something actually educational, rather than let them sit and be pawns in a game.

Brendan Brendan
Feb '15

"S2767 is the NJ legislation that allows parents to opt out."

Allows? What if you just don't take it, are they going to put you in juvie or something?

justintime justintime
Feb '15

ken e - perhaps you should read through this thread................

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

Dima, that's not a war on residents or students. That's a district explaining their policy and there's nothing wrong with that. It says if you keep your kid home, it's an unexcused absence. Seeing as testing is only part of the day, that's a valid statement. It also states that students who refuse the test will be placed in an alternative environment, which is in line with every other district in the state. So what's the problem? It's explaining the policy.

btownguy btownguy
Feb '15

I teach at a local school district (not hackettstown but close) and PARCC is a disaster on many levels, to be very honest.

First - The website from Pearson doesn't work half the time. The "codes" given to students to log on don't always work, the school doesn't have the bandwidth to support everyone taking the test to log on in the first place. In a "practice test" just this week I had 2 students out of 20 actually able to get onto the PARCC website successfully. And we are supposed to have this up and running in 2 weeks, please.

I teach some honors classes and these students that were able to get on to the site said the math sample questions they took were completely over their heads, covered topics they never learned in class, and were written in a way to confuse students. I did not see the questions themselves because I was so busy trying to help everyone else connect, so I can't confirm that. It is concerning though, their level of confusion about the questions since these were supposed to be, academically speaking anyway, the most 'high-achieving' students in the district. I think the test questions themselves are problematic and will need to be revised before this actually counts.

My main concern though is really how much time and money has been wasted on this that could have been devoted to something else more productive. As a parent I don't want my child being "taught to take the test" all of January and February, which seems to be happening. Fifth graders are spending over 10 hours taking the PARCC just 'time on test'. This does not include all the time spent teaching them how to take the test. My son's LAL HW basically every night since Christmas has been a practice "PARCC like assessment". This activity teaches students how to refer to a text passage and use evidence to support their answer. A useful skill - but that's all it does, over and over and over again. There is literally nothing else that I have seen. I'm sure the teachers don't want to be doing this. I trust that his actual teachers (not the state and certainly not Pearson) could do a better job of providing rigorous, varied and useful lessons. Everyone should ask their districts, or just look it up, and find out how much time their child will be testing. This is happening for a week in March and then AGAIN in May.

As a teacher, I hate the amount of time we have spent on PARCC - between the workshops, meetings, practice runs, band width tests, required 'PARCC-like lessons' and the full week of actual testing. It's just too much. I can't even remember a week of school that wasn't disrupted by PARCC in some way. Some people have commented that this is just another standardized test, and we've always done this so what's the big deal. It is not the same. I have been teaching for over 16 years and we have never, ever, spent this much time on one test. Something is wrong.

Then there's the money part. It seems that Pearson is making out big on this. NJ (Christie) apparently gave them an 82 million dollar subsidy to develop the test, then they are getting an additional 108 million to implement the test. Where is this money coming from? The test itself costs about $30.00 per student, according to published documents. I'm not sure where exactly districts are getting that from, and if that price includes scoring the tests. Who is profiting from the test and all the technology upgrades needed to administer the test, and what is their relationship to our elected officials? Seems like a big scam to me.

MKF15 MKF15
Feb '15

MKF15 you have said this very well.........................

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

Okay so, can you opt your child out in Hackettstown HS or not? I have been reading EVERYTHING I can find on this subject and I am still confused (doesn't take much!).

I guess unless someone knows for sure (which it seems nobody does, even from reading this thread), I will call the school tomorrow and get the scoop from them.

Just curious if anyone has spoken to the school about any of this and if so, what was the administrations reaction?

Also wondering if the school will be sending home any info. I haven't gotten anything yet I understand the testing starts in 2 weeks?

Heidi Heidi
Feb '15

The term "opt-out" is misleading. This term implies your student doesn't have to take or sit for the test. They do have to do that. However, you can "refuse to test" on your child's behalf. If you call the school to opt-out, you may be met with Mumbo-jumbo about how that's not possible because, technically, it's not. However, you can refuse or they can refuse to take the test.

When you call, use the term "refuse" instead of opt-out

btownguy btownguy
Feb '15

Okay, refuse then. But has anyone spoken to the school about refusing to have their child sit through this nonsense? I find it a waste of time and money for the town, the students and the teachers.

Just curious to know what reaction I should expect if I were to call the school and refuse, (opt-out, decline, reject, say no, whatever) to having my kids take the test?

There has been a of of talk about the anger people feel about this, just very curious if anyone has reached out to the school with their concerns and if so, what was the response?

Heidi Heidi
Feb '15

Heidi,

Have you reviewed the FAQ regarding the PARCC on the school's website? There is a section titled "Are students required to take the test?" I think the district's response is intentionally vague so that people do not have their children "opt out".

The response is: "Local districts apply their local policies on how they will work with parents and students to address instances where students attend school on test day but refuse to participate in the tests." It would have been nice if Hackettstown had listed their policies regarding this on their website. I think you will just have to send email to your child's teacher to get a response.

Nancy Nancy
Feb '15

Yes Nancy, I did read that. It's just one of the many things I read but I'm still totally confused. I was thinking I was just a dummy, but it seems nobody really has a clue what the rules are. I have been on other sites about this and it seems that either nobody knows OR you get answers that totally contradict each other (even from people who are supposedly teachers!).

I guess I am going to have to call the school tomorrow. I don't know why, but I have a feeling I am going to get the runaround there too.

The whole thing just seems so nefarious and purposefully unclear.

Heidi Heidi
Feb '15

so, you're all saying, as a parent, you want to refuse to have your child take the parcc because you're all in strong support for teachers who feel this is not the best use of their students' time nor the district's money? if so, then great, I applaud your motives.

I just couldn't remember the last time most of this forum (or any forums, really) were in such vehement support for teachers.

ken e
Feb '15

Anyone in the state can refuse the test, you just need to give at least 5 days notice and it needs to be in writing. They cannot make your child take the test against your will. I have spoken to several administers in different districts and they are all giving the 5 day rule response, so they must have heard it from the state I presume.

MKF15 MKF15
Feb '15

I asked my daughter what she is learning about in school, as she is usually very talkative about what she is learning about, and she replied, "We are learning how to take the PARCC!"

parent in town
Feb '15

if you disagree with the parcc, you should be talking to your state representatives, to eliminate the requirement.

whether or not you agree with the parcc though, in my opinion there really doesn't seem to be downside to a student to taking the test this year. the teachers have to teach to it anyway. if it's not used next year, then no harm done by taking the test. if it is used next year, and especially if it's a requirement for graduation (as was initially stated this past summer), you should want your child to practice this year.

ken e
Feb '15

Some time does need to be spent showing students how to navigate the test site, but there is no real way to teach to the content of the test. The test is designed to assess the Common Core standards, and there are so many different tasks that students may encounter that there's really no specific way to prepare for it.

For example: The narrative writing task (this is one of the tasks on the March test) requires students to read a story and answer a few questions about the story. The writing task that follows will be a narrative story writing task. But the task may ask students to write a story, a journal entry, an alternate ending, the same story in a different point of view, a continuation of the story they just read, etc. Many different possibilities for one task. If students have a strong understanding of narrative elements such as character, setting, plot, etc, and how to use them effectively in the development of a story (appropriate to the grade level expectations), they will be able to apply them to any of these situations.

On the NJ ASK, there was a lot of teaching to the test, too. The writing tasks were fairly standard. The narrative task was almost always a brief scenario that students had to turn into a story. The poem prompt almost always required a personal narrative. The persuasive or argument prompt could always be answered with a scripted 5 paragraph response.

PARCC is not perfect, and I am pleased to see the state taking steps to postpone it "counting" for a few more years. It is a smart move since it is so new. There are also legitimate concerns over children in special education and how they will do on these tests. However I think overall it is worth giving this test a chance.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Feb '15

PARCC is not perfect, and I am pleased to see the state taking steps to postpone it "counting" for a few more years.RCC is not perfect, and I am pleased to see the state taking steps to postpone it "counting" for a few more years.

That statement is incorrect. The lower state govt approved it to move to the State Senate. The test is happening as planned. So I wish the statement was true it still has to travel a path that will be a long hard one to at least grant an evaluation period to see if the test has its merits. With that said, ask your kids what they know about it before you think it's just another standard test. You will be amazed at what you hear. Cheers. Here's to opting out. Sorry can not use the term opt out. You have to refuse.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '15

Right, it didn't mean that the test isn't happening at all, I just mean that they are taking steps to postpone using the results for things like high school graduation and teacher evaluations. And it's definitely not just another standardized test. It's different from NJ ASK, but many of the complaints about it are just as applicable to NJ ASK as they are to PARCC. I've taken the online practice tests, and I've talked to my kids about it. They know that it is something to do their best on, just like I expect from anything they do in school, but not anything to get crazy about in terms of test anxiety and such.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Feb '15

I am so annoyed with the amount of resources being devoted to this test. At the Hackettstown HS, the computer lab in the library has practically been off limits to the kids during the month of February. All the kids that have computer classes (video game design/cad) are getting the short end of the stick. Since the school needs the computers for the test, the kids that have those classes will be relocated to another classroom (in the case of video game design they will work on hand drawing an animated flip book). Remember...this is from March 2 to March 19 and then again in May.

Either invest in more computers or demand a paper test.

nancy nancy
Feb '15

Things you will not hear from the high schools:

http://www.saveourschoolsnj.org/parcc-faq/#1

http://education.state.nj.us/broadcasts/2014/DEC/02/12606/updated%20graduation%20requirements.pdf

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/atlantic/state-revises-high-school-graduation-assessments/article_c8848774-7f42-11e4-a547-b3be269c18b9.html

The PARCC test is still being used for teacher evaluations, just not for student graduation or placement (at this time). It is still counting for 10% of teacher 'ratings' in testing areas. So I think the previous comment about it not counting for teacher or students is incorrect. It is true that it will not "count" in terms of a graduation requirement for 3 years. Also - someone in a previous post mentioned a paper & pencil test. I asked our superintendent that question and they said none existed. period. I then went home and found info on PARCC/Pearson's website that contradicts that statement. Our district is also still claiming that they will lose funding if they do not have 95% participation, and I have seen conflicting info on that as well. Seems to be a lot of misinformation going around.

MKF15 MKF15
Feb '15

I hope this helps- njsba.org check the PARCC faq section

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Feb '15

Yes, there is a paper and pencil version, but if a district wanted to use it, I believe there was certain criteria that had to be met. It was tough criteria, because they want everyone to take it on the computer. I believe there is also accommodations for special ed students to take a pencil and paper version, however again, the criteria is tough.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Feb '15

Why does the Warren County Community College have the message on the digital bulletin board a message that says Think PARCC. This is the digital board that sits on Route 57. The PARCC has nothing to do with the college. Or am I wrong. Please help.

Feb '15

PARCC-Partnership for Assessment and Readiness for College and Careers I believe is what the acronym stands for so that may be why WCCC has an interest?

Townies Townies
Feb '15

If you really want to see what it's like, google "parcc practice test" and you can take a sample. My daughter's doing it now. She's in 3rd grade, and this stuff is pretty damned advanced.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Feb '15

I saw that sign, too, but I thought it was at Warren Tech?

worth reading - http://bobbraunsledger.com/science-park-teachers-parcc-is-30-days-of-destruction/

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I took the test myself today. It was challenging from a content perspective but easy to maneuver through. It seemed well written and appropriate for the age group defined. I've encouraged my child to practice a few times before the start date to eliminate any variable due to the newness of the format.

mlk, thank you for posting those links, having met the SAT requirements, my child will be excused, and allowed to use the time to work on other academic pursuits. I do know that assessments are a useful tool and provides useful information, I think, though, that the implementation has been poor and time drain of this particular test is excessive and needless. So many time demands for our students and this assessment is, in my opinion, over the top.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '15

If I had children in school, I would want them to take the test. Even if PARCC is flawed to the extent written about in this forum, to me it doesn't seem harmful for the students to prepare for and take a test. My children, who are all successful and productive college graduates, used to give me every excuse to avoid taking challenging classes, doing homework & projects when assigned vs. at the last minute, etc. I think their behavior was typical, especially growing up in the information age with so many social network distractions. As parents, we set high standards and expectations and all of my children were "A" students and graduated from top tier colleges with honors. It wasn't always easy but we stuck to it and they are grateful for it today. Work and challenges build character & work ethic, which will serve them for their entire lives. If the test has to be administered, then the test should be taken to the best of everyone's ability. No cop outs or opt outs.

TypeA TypeA
Mar '15

not sure how i feel about the test but un-vaccinated kids are allowed to be in the schools based on religious and medical exemptions?? that is crap. nj needs to get its act together.

Old School
Mar '15

Sounds like some internet connections in some states have crashed when tests started. Not a good way to start I don't think. I guess good old pencil and paper may be the way to go

Ollie Ollie
Mar '15

To think there wouldn't be any technical glitches would be silly. It's new so I'm sure there will be some glitches. But in the long run, technology is the way of the world now. It seems like a natural progression for testing to move online as well. And some states have had online testing for a few years now. Not PARCC, but other online tests.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Mar '15

typeA, in general, I agree with you, challenge is healthy - but don't we also need to teach our children to think, to evaluate what they are told, determine what's right or wrong for themselves - not just follow along because someone in authority told them to do something? For some, taking the test is not a challenge, but a waste of time - for some, it takes away time from real academic challenges - like the AP History/Calculus/Physics material that they are supposed to be taught! Some of the teachers themselves have been complaining of the waste of time to our kids - in class. Opting out in order to spend time more productively might be the right choice for some.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '15

Did any one tried to opt their kids out? .Specially at the high school.

Old school-your vaccinated child won't get sick, so relax.
TypeA-wanting to excel in life has nothing at all to do with one particular test. The better question IMO is why such a huge emphasis on a "standardized" test? I think you'd agree that being non-standard sets your children apart from the field. Is that due to testing or due to how they were raised? Having unique skill sets is what makes people successful, NOT sameness.

Justintime Justintime
Mar '15

yes, Pati - my child did - sent a note and his SAT scores, but his teacher allowed anyone to opt out - five or six did in that one class.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '15

justin - it's true, that your vaccinated child won't get sick, but the problem is that kids that are sick come in contact with babies, older folks, and people whose immune systems may not be optimal - failing to give vaccinations threatens not only your child, but the community at large. I find the irrational panic due to the work of one discredited scientist mind boggling and the failure to protect your child and those around you to be ignorant and selfish -

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '15

pmnsk, even if you are vaccinated you can be a carrier - a vaccine does nothing to prevent you from exposing people to a virus. Babies are routinely vaccinated by their parents, likewise the elderly likely could have chosen to be vaccinated themselves. Immune compromised individuals, I agree, could be harmed, but not only by vaccine-preventable viruses (that's just one small risk in a sea of many for them). The more people choosing to be vaccinated the less a virus will take hold, a good thing. IMO it's just common sense to be vaccinated, but just because I feel that way doesn't mean others must. There *are* rare instances of negative side effects, and since I won't pretend to tell others how to weigh risks in their own lives I would never force anyone to be vaccinated. Strongly encourage it, yes, but force it, no. I've vaccinated my family, they are enjoying the protections of being vaccinated, and I would ask others to do the same.

It's funny that vaccines were mentioned in a thread about education though. Like the thread topic, the vaccine issue should be more about educating the benefits of vaccinating rather than by forceful decree. But like the current debate on forcing people to vaccinate, here we are discussing whether to force students to take a standardized test. As a society we always seem to come back to the same old solution: government force. Ridiculous!

justintime justintime
Mar '15

People who are not vaccinated and do become sick greatly increase the likelihood that they will spread whatever illness they have contracted - "carriers" are not spreading to the same degree if at all. Babies are not vaccinated until certain ages and old folks vaccines sometimes become less effective over time. I agree, in principle, that forced adherence is not a good thing, but that assumes a rational, educated and considered evaluation of facts. If you choose to make up your own mind, then it is your responsibility to use your mind. What I find incredible is the irrational, panic driven, and ignorant reflex to resist. Forced testing, for example... evaluate, determine for yourselves, but do so with a rational and information-driven approach - not emotional an emotional reflex.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '15

i agree with pmnsk, challenge is good but this test interferes with real learning, and it may be a invasion of students privacy, that's not good.

i agree with JIT; it is the uniqueness that allows us to succeed, as individuals and in aggregate as a nation. this is good and trying to 'normalize' everyone is counter-productive to the goal of a successful society.

i am personally concerned with the gates foundations influence in this, and am concerned about big databases being built that have personal details of each students performance, capabilities, and other very personal information. i think we all need to take a long second look at this process and what unintended (or are they?) consequences may be at risk here.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '15

As far as teachers teaching to the test, what do you want them to teach to?

As far as standardized testing; isn't any test a test to a standard?

What kind of test do you want and what do you want the teacher to teach to, if not the test?

Amazing that the one place folks are liberal is education. Bunch of hippies when it comes to school.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '15

The content of the test is Math and English, correct? It's not like teachers are being forced to concentrate on 16th-century French Literature and deprive their students of the fundamentals that every student needs.

What is the real fear? That parents are going to have to disillusion themselves about how bright their kids actually are? If my kids are struggling in some area, I would want to know just how much they are struggling and how far behind they are... not just with the kids in their class (which the teacher could probably tell me), but their future employment competition around the country as well. And, if they ARE having trouble, I want to nip it in the bud as early as possible, not wait until they're juniors in high school with no real chance of EVER catching up. Being behind and learning more slowly compounds quickly. The sooner we can identify difficulties with our children's learning processes and address them, the better off everyone will be. But, that will require work on the end of the parents, because it's not fair to hold up others in the class; supplemental "catch-up" work must be administered at home. Way too many parents don't take the required interest and responsibility in their children's educations, instead blaming the teachers. I get that... I'm not blaming the teachers for the mess we're in.

But it's obvious from our international ranking that the current educational system is failing miserably for the vast majority of its students. Maybe after a few decades of rigorous testing and accountability from educators AND parents, our students can strive to rise ahead of such international educational powerhouses such as Latvia and Poland.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

I grew up in NY where standardized testing has been deployed at a state level forever. I will tell you these tests, starting in 7th grade are brutal and most certainly, teachers feel teachin to the test is the minimum. Not necessarily everything they teach but it is the minimum for sure.

NY is middle of the pack in results.

I think NJ is number 1 in results so frankly whatever the teachers and school boards want to do ----- so far it's worked I think.

Mar '15

Ianimal, I'd ask if there might be something other than test results keeping kids from exceling, perhap societal or environmental? Abbott districts tell a story, with all the money that's been spent over the years we should have phenomenal results, but we don't. Why? Because there is life outside the school that can't be controlled, environments that may be detrimental to a desire to learn.

Working hard toward a goal is a choice, and the definition of hard is different for everyone. Teach to work really hard and success will come regardless if whatever test is given. Not surprisingly, success is relative anyway.

Justintime Justintime
Mar '15

Did anyone try to make the pilot test that are available online? I did last night. I really don't get this huge uproar about it. For me it seemed a lot better than NJAsk.But my background is different. I was educated in Europe. I'm a teacher who got the teaching degree in Europe. I always told my students testing was necessary for me as a teacher because this was a feedback where they needed improvement. BUT we, as teachers didn't teach for the tests, we taught our students the most important skill: critical thinking. ( Just before somebody asks. I don't teach in the public school system here. I did substitute teaching and had to realize it doesn't work for me. :-(. Way too much control for my taste. Too much administration. And THAT takes precious time away from teaching.)

iceflower iceflower
Mar '15

I grew up in New York (upstate) and took Regent's tests all through high school. My school was pretty good, and I never had the idea that they were "teaching to the test". Didn't seem too brutal to me, but I was always good at tests.

Best thing about the Regents was that if you scored above 90% (I think), then you were guaranteed an A for the course. That was great for those of us who didn't like homework and may be skipped class once in a while. I know a girl who basically skipped her entire junior year and still had straight-A's. They have probably fixed that by now (the bastards.)

MrCharlie
Mar '15

The test results won't necessarily give you a reason, but they will identify the problem... much like a chest x-ray isn't going to tell you WHY you have lung cancer. I would still rather know that the problem exists and be in a position to take corrective action as soon as possible.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

The issue isn't the idea of a standardized test.b the issue isn't the idea of standards. The issue is the people that have created the Common Core and PARCC - non educators and corporations. That's the problem. It's like a cook walking into a police station and telling the officers how to arrest people or conduct investigations.

I think there would be less issue with testing provided or created by educators instead of suits.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

Considering that the test is supposed to determine how well the students are learning what they need to know to make it in the "real world", I would think input from people in the corporate world would be very valuable.

Being an "educator" doesn't necessarily qualify you to know what any other profession needs to know. It "should" qualify you to be able to "educate" on whatever needs to be learned. What exactly NEEDS to be learned, however, is a question for others to answer, depending on the field in question.

Using your police analogy... it's the job of the police to enforce the laws that are written, not to decide what the laws should be. That is the purview of someone else.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

One of the issues with common core is that because educators and child developmental specialists were not included in the creation of the commit core, the requirements given for each grade level are not age appropriate. This creates unnecessary stress on young children. It also takes away time on things that would be age appropriate and beneficial to students.

gm mom
Mar '15

ianimal, what is the "real world"? What firm or agency is the determinant of the "real world"? One person's real world may not be another's, hence the need for a broad education that teaches students how to think and be creative, not one that creates monotonous and unoriginal drones.

And how exactly is what "needs to be learned" determined? A Plumber will tell you that music doesn't need to be learned. An athlete will tell you that composition is not important. A musician will tell you that gym isn't important. What field gets to make that decision? And how does it impact the younger students taking the test? Does a third grader need to be tested on Career Readiness?

I'm glad we agree on the police analogy. However, we're talking about people giving directive on how the laws are enforced, not what laws are written.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

I think it's the job of educators and child developmental specialists to figure out a way to present the information such that it may be learned by a specific age bracket, not to say that it can't be done or that it puts "unnecessary pressure" on kids.

Otherwise, you are left with a conundrum. Say, for instance, you have 100 miles to travel and only 12 hours to get there. Your maximum speed is 10 miles per hour, which gives you a little leeway for breaks and whatnot.

But, if you spend 4 or 5 hours only travelling at 2 or 3 miles per hour, you still have 85 to 92 miles to go and are only capable of traveling a maximum of 70 or 80 miles in the 7 or 8 hours you have left.

That's pretty much what is happening now, with kids leaving high school unprepared for college and unprepared for life. At least this is setting bench marks to hit along the way so that your progress can be measured.

Is it perfect? No. Is it a start? Yes. Can it be made better with input from educators tweaking the curriculum? Probably. But you have to start somewhere and dismissing it out of hand just because you weren't consulted adequately in your opinion is not the way to make things better.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

Math needs to be learned. English needs to be learned. Critical thinking needs to be learned. The rest is elective and will vary from person to person, as you say. Why should someone who isn't interested in music be forced to sit through it?

And no, I don't believe that we "are" talking about directive on how laws are enforced. If I tell you as an educator what a child needs to know at a certain time; that is me telling you what the law is. Teaching the child that information however you see fit is you "deciding how to perform your investigation". I don't believe that anyone should be "dictating means and methods" to educators... for that is their professional purview.

But telling them what schedule they need to follow in order to reach minimum basic skills for everyone at the end of 12th grade? That is certainly not unreasonable. Nobody is talking about testing third graders on their ability to perform critical path management for a construction project, but they SHOULD be able to demonstrate minimum basic skills in reading comprehension and math.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

I agree with much being said here but I guess I've always been a big supporter of the schools in an effort to teach my kids that sometimes you just have to do things because it's required of you. It's like that in life, in jobs, in communities. I don't know what the answer is but I am more inclined to go along. My children went to different schools, parochial & private, because I recognized that each one had different needs, skills, talents, personalities and ultimately it was our decisions made at home that had the biggest influence on my children's lives, as it should be. And I know that along the way they had many excellent and some very mediocre teachers. Maybe a few poor ones too. But, they still succeeded and I refused to fight the teachers, Principals, Administrators. In spite of all the arguments it sounds like TIME is the biggest thing lost in the PARCC process. Time that can be better spent learning. OK. This too shall pass. There are many ways to learn. I have more concern about the money being wasted on a program that will no doubt fail due to the public outcry and concern. They spend our tax dollars as if there's plenty more where they came from. False.

TypeA TypeA
Mar '15

ianimal - I have a question for you. Below is a sample of one of the common core requirements. I am not going to tell you what grade level is expected to be able to do this. Take a guess, tell me what the earliest grade you think a child should be able to complete this requirement.

"Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g. explore a number of books by a favorite author and express opinions about them)."

What is the earliest grade level that you think would be appropriate for students to spend time on this requirement?

gm mom
Mar '15

It would depend on the favorite author. Are we talking Dostoevsky or Dr Seuss?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

ianimal, is not a standardized test such as PARCC dictating means and methods? You're dictating a means of assessment.

Also, what qualifications do politicians and corporations have that say they are the end all when it comes to basic skills? Shouldn't this decision be made by those with experience in the field?

Shakespeare bores me. Why should I sit through it? I don't need to read that to know how to control th language.

And I am HONORED that you think I'm a teacher!

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

Any book ianimal. Give me the earliest grade you think it would be reasonable for students to collaborate on a shared research project. They need to be able to read, write, express opinions and work together.

gm mom
Mar '15

No a standardized test is merely assessing required performance. It has nothing to do with dictating how you achieve that result.

I was using a general "you". I know you aren't personally a teacher. But I'm curious why you think teachers are more qualified to assess what basic skills are needed for any profession other than teaching. Input should be gathered from people of all professions to set a baseline for what "minimum" skills are required.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

Yes it is. It's saying "teach this material in any way you'd like... but the students must get the results we want and show it using our methods".

Or, conduct your investigation your way, but it is only considered effective if its the results we want.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

Those are very vague requirements that can be tailored to any age, I would think. If a kid can read The Cat in the Hat, he should be able to discuss it, no? I'm sure the discussion isn't expected to rise to the level of the Algonquin Round Table. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for. The earlier they learn to work together, the better, no?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

ianimal - when your kids get to school - and they sit for standardized tests when they are very young - and perhaps when they can't do something they get really upset - and perhaps they cry - or perhaps their thumbs go in their mouths - or perhaps they just freeze and stop doing it - and when you find out how much time was spent learning how to color in the bubbles or manipulate paragraphs on an ipad - or ..... or when you find that education is predominately limited to math and reading - rather than the more broad education many of us received - then maybe you will begin to understand some of the problems with all of this "mess".
That's all I'm saying or I'd write so much that it would be deleted. Let me just say that when I had to spend part of 4 days administering standardized tests to 5-6 year olds - with cardboard separating them - with some questions that NONE could answer correctly - and when I learned nothing I didn't already know about my students from this "child abuse" - well - lets leave it at that. Yes I do believe teachers should assess their children to be sure they are learning what is being taught..........but...........

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Question we have the PARCC TESTING and that is for the students But are there any state required testing of the teacher s them selfs .

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '15

and a ps...........how many of you are given tests after you've been on the job a while??

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

iaminal - this example is a kindergarten requirement "Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g. explore a number of books by a favorite author and express opinions about them)."

Do you think a kindergarten student is really capable of reading (with comprehension skills), writing skills, skills to express opinions and work together? Besides my own children, I have volunteered my time in the kindergarten classroom. I do not know many children who could do this.

Some of the common core requirements by grade do not take into account the stages of brain development. Would you potty train a six month old? Of course not, it is not the appropriate stage to do this. To do so would be a waste of time. So are some of the requirements of common core. Common core did not have the input of experts who know what a typical 5 year old is capable of learning, or 7 year old, etc.

gm mom
Mar '15

5catmom - the job *is* the test.

I just breezed the responses so I apologize if anyone has reflected on my earlier comment about student environment.

How much can you expect the schools to teach if students aren't 100% willing participants? We've all known them - slackers they used to be called. Some of the slackers I knew did poorly in school but had aptitudes off the chart and are quite successful in their lives. How would standardized tests have categorized them? How would the tests evaluate the frustrated kids, the ones who need help but get turned off because of who knows what reason?

I'm not against testing of course, but I am against a one-size-fits-all approach. It just isn't realistic for an entire student population, and I think the past several decades since the US Department of Education was created prove that pretty well.

iceflower: Please reconsider teaching! Critical thinking is absolutely the single most important skill we can give our youth, and it should be stressed at all levels. Rote memorization of material on a test won't cut it, especially since so much material is easily accessible today, but if a student can figure out what it is they *don't* know and can teach themselves they will do just fine in life.

justintime justintime
Mar '15

exactly gm mom

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Overview of New Jersey Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification

For certification in New Jersey, all candidates must:

Earn a baccalaureate degree or an advanced degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Since you asked: (Praxis is the test)
Complete an approved educator preparation program OR a district training program for licensure.
Maintain cumulative GPA requirements in the baccalaureate or state-approved post-baccalaureate certification program.
Pass The Praxis Series® tests for their certification area.
Submit the appropriate forms and fees (PDF) required for licensure.
Pass an examination in physiology and hygiene, administered at the county offices of education. In lieu of this examination, the applicant may present basic military training or college level study in areas such as biology, health or nutrition.

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

this is pretty much the truth if we keep going in this direction

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I guess i'm really lucky. My childrens' teachers aren't teaching to the test to the detriment of the students. They are still learning all the normal math,language arts, science, social studies, etc and have all the normal specials.

Thinking a child in today's age can't handle a computer test is laughable. MAYBE in the inner city or something, but around here?

One of my children just took part 1 of the Language Arts PARCC test. Said it was easy. Consensus of his peers was that 70 minutes was way too much time for the section.

Somehow my 6th grader knew much more about the controversy surrounding the test than i did. Apparently, the TEACHERS have been spending classroom time complaining about it.

Opt your child out of anything that remotely challenges them? No thanks. My parents didn't shelter me from the dreaded IOWAs. Remember them? We survived. Your kids will too.

PARCC 4ever :)
Mar '15

Again, the issue isn't the challenge. It's who created them.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

It has nothing to do with how easy or difficult the test is. The system is gamed by an organization with an agenda. Way too much time and money as been wasted on simply preparing the students and infrastructure (installing enough computers so everyone can take it).

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '15

The students now have access to more computers? That's so terrible. We should be investing in more abacuses for the classrooms.

preparing the students on how to take the test? Did you ask your child how much time was spent on that? one practice test. no big deal.

Mar '15

The problem is we do not have enough computers at the high school. The kids that have classes that use the computers (CAD/Video Game Design/Oracle) are not having the access to the computers while testing occurs. What is next...art without paints, woodshop without wood, English without books? The computer lab in the library has been off limits since Feb so that kids could practice the PARCC. Remember, this test is from March 2 to the 19th and again in May. A lot of resources are going being used for this test.

Nancy Nancy
Mar '15

Nancy - that does seem like a problem. Not necessarily PARCC's fault. (Computerized testing was coming sooner or later - no matter what company)

I don't know how the testing works in the HS. Does testing take place in lieu of elective classes? Then everyone is missing their electives.

(I don't even know if CAD is an elective.) Did the teacher adjust lesson plans to accommodate this? or are they being shipped off to study hall?

If i didn't get the right answers to these questions, i would be talking to the school. They may not have prepared properly.

Mar '15

I have contacted the school, board of ed and Mr. Mango regarding my concerns. The fact is the school needs those computers to take the test. Video Game design originally was going to be hand drawing a animated flip book..(confirmed by the teacher). According to my kids, plans have changed and now they are reviewing movies (3d) and writing essays on certain effects the movies have in them.

The response I received from Mr Mango was:

"Thank you for contacting my office regarding your concern relative to the upcoming PARCC exam. Although I understand your frustration please know, that central office and the high school administration has developed a schedule that will limit the disruptions to particular class room environments throughout the testing block schedule. Again, this is a learning opportunity for districts not only in Hackettstown, but throughout the state of New Jersey. Going forward, we will continue to use this opportunity as well as, future opportunities to improve and limit daily disruptions to the instructional process."

So in a nutshell...the school hopes to learn from this experience maybe it will get better down the road. Kids are still missing valuable class time with the computers.

In response to your question, the kids take the English PARCC test during the English Block and the Math PARCC during their math block.

Nancy Nancy
Mar '15

I would be frustrated with this too. I'm sorry. I wish the administration would have brainstormed a better solution than to unfairly disrupt a group of kids. Good luck.

Mar '15

Well, yes this disruption is the fault of PARCC. Why is computerized testing mandatory? Is it a great option? Absolutely. However, in order to take the paper version of PARCC, one must be the seventh son of a seventh son in a district that is struck by a blue moon when scorpio is in retrograde within Orion's belt but only if the pink pig flies by the green frog and not the blue jay before the basketball.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

back in about 1971 I took a graduate class in Educational Administration. And, although I had not yet experienced it, they pointed out that those making the decisions having the greatest impact on children were those farthest away from those children. Well DUH.....Sadly we continue to feel the effects of such inappropriate decision makers.

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

PARCC - a LOT more than one practice test time has been spent preparing for this test - there has been in school work and after school work - and it is altering schedules, taking away from instruction time, using computers, which limits classes that need the computers as part of classwork, and has been a source of ongoing debate and discussion within the classes leading up to this... further, it is doing so both in March AND May... The preparation and planning for implementation of this test seems inadequate to say the least.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '15

This is the sort of shenanigans that happens when the out-of-touch administration that has nothing to do with educating children makes decisions on how to educate children.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '15

exactly right The_Bishop

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

In most rankings, NJ ranks number 1 or number 2 in public education so whatever we are doing seems to be better than other places. Not that there couldn't be improvement, especially in teacher retention (thank you Chris).

http://www.alec.org/publications/report-card-on-american-education/ click on NJ to see detail.

NJEA, which amazingly agrees with most of you, lobbies agains PARCC: http://www.njea.org/news/2014-07-14/agreement-reached-on-parcc-evaluations

http://www.njea.org/news/2015-01-07/steinhauer-njea-far-from-alone-on-parcc-concerns

To me the fact that NJ is great, educationally speaking, and the reason for that, it's teachers, lobby against PARCC says it all.

However, NJEA members have a pro-common core stand: http://www.njea.org/news/2013-10-17/nea-poll-reveals-support-for-common-core-deep-reservations-about-testing

Mar '15

That's all that matters................

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Have you ever watched a third grader try to type a 17 sentence essay on a computer? Ha! Most of them are still typing with one or two fingers and have to scan the keyboard to find the letter. That's not testing a child's ability to write an essay. That's testing they're ability to type.

Good point JC, I didn't think about that! Just consider how a student who has great ideas but can't type feels as he or she watches the time tick down. My guess is that you're not thinking about writing, you're thinking about the fact that you don't know how to type.

Testing in March in the Northeast is just not a good idea. I think students took the ask test in May, without as much disruption or delay. It seems like we will not have schools during two months of year, we'll have testing centers.

parent in town
Mar '15

Mistergoogle do you have kids in the public school program. We may rank 1 or 2 but I don't see too many kids around here getting admitted to top tier colleges.

Mar '15

I am sorry it is not your experience Bob, but that is not mine, I know plenty of Hackettstown scholars that made good or great schools, top tier or next tier down, most with scholarhips.

And remember in NJ, Hackettstown is at the end of the first 25% of NJ schools and that was a HUGE improvement over 2013, so pretty good, getting better, but not stellar.

Mar '15

Test results came out today. It looks like our school system did well.

You got test results?? Wow! I was just at a PARCC training yesterday and the lady said the results won't be out until at least January 11. She also said that the test would be around for at least 5 more years. She said it takes that long to change the test to something else. Be careful of opting out if your child is older. Even though you don't have to pass it to graduate, like the HSPA, at this point, you have to pass something... SAT, ACT, PSAT, ASVAB in order to graduate. If your child is a poor test taker, make sure they have as many opportunities to pass something so they can graduate. Congratulations on your school doing well.

bepositive bepositive
Jan '16

Yes, Hackettstown has mailed individual results home. It's interesting that all of my kids did much better on the language arts part than they ever did on NJASK. The math was definitely more difficult for all of them. We expected that based on what they told me back when they took it. They hadn't learned a good portion of the math at the time of the test.

Hack28 Hack28
Jan '16

My son is a student at NWR, we got results before Christmas break. There was s meeting at the school last night for anyone who wanted to understand the results more

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '16

Glad to hear others got results. Maybe there's a difference regarding districts, who knows?? Good to see that your kids did well.

bepositive bepositive
Jan '16

Most districts have had access to the results since December. Each district has its own timeline in sending them out.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Jan '16

Mt Olive received ours about three-four weeks ago. Expected them to be horrible but my daughter did very well, as did the district.

Terry P
Jan '16

Most schools sent them out in December.

It appears PARCC testing will not be in effect.

https://www.njherald.com/20190101/court-strikes-down-parcc-tests

It looks like it is changing the graduation requirement from needing to pass two standardized tests to passing just one standardized test. Students can also take the ASVAB test instead which is the test to get into the military.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Jan '19

It also looks like PARCC has been re-branded to NJSLA

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

True, 3wbdwnj!

Jesse132 Jesse132
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.