Nissan Rogue

looking to buy a Nissan Rogue with 40,000 miles on it.price seems fair. has anyone had any experience with this make and model?

hackettstowner
Jan '15

What year?

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jan '15

FYI: Consumer Reports 2015 Buying Guide has the Nissan Rogue listed under SUVs:Small as a Reliable Used Car. They price the 2010 between 10-15 thou. and the 2011-2013 from 15-20 thousand dollars.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jan '15

I highly recommend an extended warranty with your purchase. The CVT units have an average life of about 100K.

Always always use car fax.Well worth it, just a couple of dollars. You'll find out about any accidents or flooding the car has went thru.

vous
Jan '15

I had one as a rental last year. It's an ok car but if you care about the feel/performance/driving experience (all relative because we're talking about essentially a raised up station wagon) then don't bother. The CVT transmission is garbage. I'm sure 90% of people who drive it either wouldn't notice or wouldn't care but for me it's a deal breaker on an otherwise decent car. If you do care about the driving dynamics and are not put off by some repair bills, I'd recommend the VW Tiguan. I guess a compromise would be a Mazda cx5. Good driving dynamics and Japanese reliability. Good luck!

Consigliere
Jan '15

"not put off by some repair bills, I'd recommend the VW Tiguan."

*SOME* repair bills? I would never own a German car (VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes) outside of a warranty or lease, unless someone else was paying the maintenance/repair bills and I had a lot of free rental cars to choose from. It's a shame, because they are nice cars.

Maybe some models are better/worse than others but in general the Germans are known for quite a few gremlins popping up as the cars get older.

I agree on the CVT. Never drove a car with one, but if I wanted that type of ride I would hop on a snowmobile.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

Mark mc,
Owning German cars out of warrantee is not the nightmare you make it out to be. They need to be looked after and actually cared about over the life of the car. Yes, if you buy a 100,000 mile, 8 year old Benz formerly driven by someone who did not follow the recommended service for all those years, you've got a problem. If the car had been looked after and taken care of, it will last a long time. The parts are more expensive, but that's a result of the actual quality of the car. They are over-engineered because they need to sit comfortably at 100 mph + on the autobahn. What's cheap is cheap.

Consigliere
Jan '15

agreed . would never buy a VW.... smells like lemons in here.

Poppy Girl
Jan '15

"The parts are more expensive, but that's a result of the actual quality of the car. They are over-engineered because they need to sit comfortably at 100 mph + on the autobahn. "

And that's the problem.. they use 10 parts where 5 will do. Works great when it's new, but not so much in 10+ years. F1 cars can comfortably do 200+ MPH, that doesn't make them reliable. Not to mention all of the electronics required to monitor these complicated adjustable suspension and drive-line systems.

One of the guys here at work *had* an old BMW (and he likes to work on cars)... I think there was something like a dozen (or more) bushings/bearings in the rear suspension alone and the adjustments to go with them, all taking a beating on our lovely North American roads.

Like I said, very nice cars, sharp looking, and good performance but I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole when the repair is my responsibility.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

I have 2 friends who own Nissan Rogues and they both love them. Both are women tho, not sure if they would notice the CVT revving noise. Next time I drive with one of them I'll listen more. Usually we're talking too much to hear :o)

Neither of them has complained about car in for repairs in the past 2 years.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '15

Nissan aren't known to be reliable cars.

But what do I know? I own 3 VW, one of them a 12 cylinder, an Audi (which is nothing other than a rebadged overpriced VW) and a cutesie expensive little BMW 2 seater convertible that honestly is just paying a premium for the name/logo- the build quality is worse than any of my VW/Audi.. even though it is the lowest mileage and in like new condition.

I wouldn't touch a Nissan.

My grandson loves his 2 year old Nissan Maxima with a CVT. You just have to get used to it. He has a switch that makes the shifting noise come out the speakers if you want it.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/12/nissan-pushes-jatco-to-resolve-cvt-issues/

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

Looks like 2014 and 2015 got the best marks. It did average in the small overlap crash. Which is were most fail.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/nissan/rogue

sack
Jan '15

Highly recommend Nissan. I have had a Nissan Altima, Rogua and now Murano. The Rogue was a great car! Handled smoothly, great in snow, good turning radius I traded it in because we needed a larger car but I loved my Rogue. I had a 2010, think it was an sv model. Great price point for a highly reliable car. We test drove all the similar sized SUVs and the Rogue was the best hands down.

Digital Digital
Jan '15

I have a Nissan Rogue 2008 model. I bought it when it was 1 year old and had 26,000 miles in it. I drove it 100,000 miles since then. I still love it. Over the years it had only 2 small repairs. ( cost about $300 each ). I drove it in snow, ice, on unpaved roads in the high mountains of Colorado. I have friends who also bought it after they tried to drive mine. I wouldn't say it is the best car because I'm sure there are lots of cars that are better. But for me it worth every penny I paid for it.

No car is perfect. And everybody had different taste and budget.

Iceflower Iceflower
Jan '15

The CVT tranny seemed to be unreliable from the very beginning (about 8-10 years ago) - especially from nissan. I expressed my "fears" about it's reliability to my mechanic and he "agreed" with me saying "let's wait a few years to see how they'll behave". I'd stay away from any vehicle equipped with CVT tranny.

Speaking of reliability of german cars - they ARE reliable. many years ago I literally picked an old and corroded alternator from my friends backyard (yes, It was on the ground) and went to local PepBoys to test it - it worked normal. While on the american car (used chevy van) I changed the alternator twice! One chrysler I serviced as much as I drove it. The "problem" with german cars is that the parts are higher in price and mechanics charge more (just because) to service the cars. I agree that the german cars are more complicated in design and working on them is sometimes more complicated, but these complications are "gone" once you know them. In fact, I found that some things (and repair procedures) were more logical than on the american and japanese cars.

Audi's are rebadged VW's? I'm sorry, but your knowledge on this subject is very limited. The US is the last first-world country with the view (albeit, a dying one) that Audi isn't on par with BMW and Merc. Anyone with knowledge of the subject would disagree. Besides, VW, in addition to owning Audi, owns Lamborghini, Porsche, Bugatti, Bentley and Ducati motorcycles. And before anyone accuses me, no, I'm not an Audi fan-boy. Just someone trying to help dispel an old and tired stereotype that simply isn't true.

Consigliere
Jan '15

"Audi's are rebadged VW's? I'm sorry, but your knowledge on this subject is very limited. "

Plenty of Audi and VW models share the same platforms... so underneath the sheet metal, an Audi is a VW is a Bentley is a Porsche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_platforms

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

Is this for sale in Pennsylvania? If it is I've looked at it already and its no good. Get the vin and car fax it yourself. Your welcome.

vous
Jan '15

Consigliere - That's not the whole story. I owned an Audi at one point and had the exact same failing ignition coils from Hungary that failed in the VW's. Only the over engineered Audi used one per cylinder instead of the VW's one per car. And had the same oil pump failures. No, they aren't made on the same assembly line even though they are made at the same plant. Yes there are differences, and no rebadging isn't the right word. But their common origin is unmistakeable which is what Mark correctly termed a "platform". Implying otherwise might also be taken as limited knowledge. That's not right. It may be off topic but BMW and all of their computer chip disasters and the Audi/VW constant stream of quality issues would say they may be on par, but maybe that's not all that positive. Best to lease German cars so the maker is responsible for repairs. They're fun to drive but a disaster to own. I say that with a $5,000 engine overhaul under warrantee still unpaid for by Audi. The dealer blames corporate, corporate blames the dealer, I tell them they should go to bat for me and the response is "why should I do that???". Dropped it. Would only drive their car, would never make their car my car. "On par" is like saying they all screw you so learn to like it. No thanks.

Ok, but they are on-par.

Consigliere
Jan '15

And as to the platform debate, yes on their cheaper offerings, like the a3 they do share platform with some VW's. However, their true "luxury" cars don't have anything in common with vw (except the super rare w12 phaeton). Vw doesn't offer anything even remotely related to an r8, nor does it have a skunkworks in-house tuning arm like quarto GmbH which produce their RS cars. The $120,000 luxury barge rocket RS7 is about as far from a Volkswagen as you possibly get.

So, to sum it up, dont buy a luxury car unless you can afford a new one, or the repairs on an old one. You know, it's a luxury to own one.

Consigliere
Jan '15

I have a friend with an A4 and once it broke 100k he has had 2 breakdowns and has to use a local garage to keep the repairs worth it. He should dump the car...

The Audi TT 3.2 VR6 is the basically the exact same car as the VW R32, just a different body on it.

Not much different than taking an RC car and swapping the plastic shell.

The VW Phaeton has almost nothing in common with an Audi A8 other than similar engines. It is a common misconception.

The Bentley Continental is mostly a VW Phaeton W12 with a different body slapped on it, and 2 turbos added.

"So, to sum it up, dont buy a luxury car unless you can afford a new one, or the repairs on an old one. You know, it's a luxury to own one."

I wouldn't classify all Audi's as "luxury" cars. A3's start at $29K... slightly less than a Nissan Maxima, slightly more than a Chevrolet Impala (for example - not commenting on their respective reliability).

Sure, if you can afford an R8 or a Phaeton I don't think you're worried about the maintenance cost. But then the OP would be asking about a Nissan GTR or a Corvette Z06 (other super cars with their own unique platforms), not the Rogue...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

Got the Rogue and love it. Incredible in the snow today

hackettstowner
Jan '15

Mark,

Which is why I recommended a Tiguan, not a G wagon. As to the A3, it's entry level for sure, but when compared to a car it's size, say a corolla or civic, it starts at 10-15 grand more. So, in that sense, yes it is luxury. My point is, and I think we are really all in agreement in the end: if you want to drive or wear or use luxury goods and services, you better not mind spending more money. In the case of cars, you spend more up front and more long term. They are luxury items. Some people will spend more for better fit and finish. Some people will complain they cost too much. The latter should not be playing in the luxury market.

Back full circle to my original comment: a vw Tiguan is they most fun small crossover SUV to drive per many pro reviews. Also, get inside one and tell me the materials are not of a better quality than a ford or Honda. BUT, it cost more to operate.

Consigliere
Jan '15

Also, bmws now start under 30k and Mercedes do as well.

Consigliere
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.