Centenary President's House Fire

Multiple fire trucks, police cars and the like. If you normally cut through there, probably should stay away.

brown bear
Jan '15

http://wrnjradio.com/community-news/2015/breaking-news-1st-alarm-structure-fire-in-hackettstown-nj/

ooonoo ooonoo
Jan '15

I hate house fires, any fire is a bad fire. HATE EM!!

auntiel auntiel
Jan '15

Prayers to the people that live there. Hope it gets under control fast

http://wrnjradio.com/community-news/2015/breaking-news-2nd-alarm-structure-fire-in-hackettstown-1715/

ooonoo ooonoo
Jan '15

Looks like a bad one. I am at the corner of Church and Madison. Lots of smoke and fire. Looks like it is in the area of Moore and Jefferson.

eje36 eje36
Jan '15

Sadly this is high season. Space heaters, dirty chimneys for fireplaces and stoves and the like:(
Hope there are no injuries.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '15

It is the beautiful president's home of Centenary. Walking up to take a look in a few minutes. Very sad. Terrible night for firefighters to be out.

spence spence
Jan '15

How sad! I saw the smoke from Schooleys mountain and it was like dog near the football field. I hope everyone is ok.

It does not look good for the President's House. Still seeing heavy flames and smoke from my 2nd floor window. Those winds are howling outside. Thank goodness there is quite a bit of room between that house and adjacent houses. But still got to pray it doesn't spread.

eje36 eje36
Jan '15

Living near Centenary for 43 years - it breaks my heart to see President's House burn.
It has such a history to it - even inside when one of the college students painted a muriel on one the walls as an art project years ago. It would so sad to see that go.

AnnKathryn
Jan '15

Re: Centenary President's House Fire

It is indeed Centenary Colleges presidents house. It went to a second alarm. Hope everyone is safe. Doesn't look too bad.

Christine Christine
Jan '15

Just returned, I believe it will likely be either a total loss, or a complete gut and repair. We counted 7 different responding fire companies - there may have been more.

spence spence
Jan '15

another shot of the scene.

spence spence
Jan '15

Be safe fire fighters and all responders.

Mike's Mom Mike's Mom
Jan '15

When we left around 6:45 there were still regular flare-ups with flames shooting from the East corner of the house and out of the rear of the home - I assume the entire house was more or less involved as there were also signs of fire on the West corner of the house - fire was being fought from all angles on the house. At this time it is still actively being tended.

spence spence
Jan '15

Agree with Spence...at least 6 or 7 responding fire companies. I would be surprised if they are able to save it. The roads are ice covered due to the water so be careful in that area walking. They are sanding.

Laptop Firefly Laptop Firefly
Jan '15

God Bless everyone involved, the people that live there and the responders....

bowie bowie
Jan '15

I am so sad !!!! My very early yrs I lived 2 houses down on Moore St. I used to pick Mrs. Seay's tulips as a child !!! A beautiful home !!! a sad day for Hackettstown -

Peggy Shanahan Peggy Shanahan
Jan '15

The news reports seem to quote the occupants as safe which is a good thing. Let's hope the responders stay safe as well.

Christine, you have no idea what the fire is like. Flames shooting out of the roof, two snorkels, a ton of fire trucks. It may not have looked that bad in the beginning but it's horrible now. So sad. Let's all pray for the firefighters and the people in theneighborhood whose homes are in jeopardy. With the wind, they're not going to be able to control this for a while. It's a total loss.

Kirk
Jan '15

While there we observed: Hackettstown, Budd Lake, Port Murray, Tri-county, Independence, Allamuchy, Mansfield, Netcong and Washington just pulled in. Thanks for all involved and those here to help them!

spence spence
Jan '15

The fire dept. is asking for donations of thermoses, hot chocolate and coffee be brought to the Moore St. firehouse NOT the fire location. The donations will be brought to the firefighters.

brown bear
Jan '15

If anyone has a few spare minutes tonight, maybe run to Dunkin donuts or quick Check and see if you can get the firemen and emt's hot coffee or hot chocolate.
Thanks!!

Lostit
Jan '15

Coffee and hot chocolate donations are being welcomed at the firehouse!!

How awful, and with this wind and freezing cold. I hope everyone stays safe.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

The fire is still going strong. Looks like an all nighter for our firefighters. I want to say thank you to all the firefighters working hard to keep our neighborhood safe.

eje36 eje36
Jan '15

No day is a good day for a house fire. This weather is the worst. Makes me even more grateful for our volunteers.

My son is there fighting the fire. Said they are making the firefighters take breaks and go into the college to warm up. Calling road dept to salt the area because its just an ice skating rink. My prayers to all involved.

Are coffee donations still being accepted at the firehouse? I can swing by D&D and pick up a box of Joe....

helpinghand
Jan '15

I hope all of the firefighters stay safe tonight and best wishes to the homeowners.

Pray that this wind calms down so no other structures get effected. So sad......stay safe men and women

Christine Christine
Jan '15

Prayers to the firefighters, police, EMTs and emergency personnel who responded to the fire and to the Centenary College community.

The Express-Times/LehighValleyLive article & photos:
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2015/01/fire_reported_at_centenary_col.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Jan '15

So sorry to read this news. Prayers being said for all involved and nearby homes.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jan '15

If coffee donations are still needed I can have hubby pick up a box a joe around 9 when he picks up our son from the high school.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '15

I read they opened the college cafeteria for the men to warm and have coffee etc.They don't want you to bring it to the fire bring to the stations.

Christine Christine
Jan '15

I'll gladly bring coffee to the Moore St. station if they need it. I just don't want it to go to waste if they don't.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '15

Power has been turned off in surrounding area. Help is needed to keep the neighbors warm.

auntiel auntiel
Jan '15

I just got some news from the wind as the cold is taken its toll on the equipment I wondered where 72 FIRE (( Mountain Lake )) was rushing out to
To the fire fighters and their Family s I pray for your Health and safety this night may the fathers hands guide and protect you
Blessed be to all tonight

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '15

Aunties, how do we get news to people that they can come stay with us and get warm? I live on Grand Ave.

DrLAF DrLAF
Jan '15

DrLAF, I don't know. My sister lives 2 houses down. Not worried about her, they do not have children or pets. I am hoping it's not off long, but if it is I would think the first responders would go door to door and the town would set up an emergency shelter.

auntiel auntiel
Jan '15

Any updates?

Firstworldproblems Firstworldproblems
Jan '15

At least no one was home

Booster90 Booster90
Jan '15

It looks to finally have died down a bit. Crew and everyone are still around.

What started the fire?

concerned8
Jan '15

This was just on Channel 2 news!

4paws 4paws
Jan '15

News said it started in basement

just coach just coach
Jan '15

As a resident of the affected area I would just like to thank the many fire and rescue personnel for their dedication. The cold weather tonight is brutal and unrelenting. Your services are so very appreciated.

eperot eperot
Jan '15

eperot exactly. It's a brutal 4 degrees in Hackettstown right now. It's the coldest since the morning of March 1st of last year when it got down to 3 degrees.

Stay safe out there.

Yes, thank you emergency responders and everyone who supported the efforts to save this house. The conditions must have been brutal! I'm always so thankful that there are brave people like you who so selflessly give of your time and effort.

My sympathies to everyone personally affected by this loss. I loved that beautiful home and I'm so sad that we've lost a piece of our town's history. I'm hoping that the losses end with that.

Wow, didnt hear about this until 430 this morning on Ch 2. Very sad. Glad no one was hurt . What time did this happen?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

Fire started at 4:45 yesterday --- crews are still on the scene either checking for hot spots or starting the investigation... she was a beautiful home -- will be missed by the neighborhood for certain.

trekster3- trekster3-
Jan '15

Sorry to hear of this fire and hats off to the fireman, police, and all emergency personnel who had to withstand such harsh conditions. When your local volunteer fire department seeks your donation, remember to keep in mind of their costs to upgrade equipment, purchase of safety gear, O2 tanks, etc. We rely so much on them and they always come through.

mike l mike l
Jan '15

I will be on WRNJ today to talk about the history of the house. We at Centenary are heartbroken. Attached is a picture of the house as it looked in 1945.

Centprof Centprof
Jan '15

Yes so sad to hear of this loss. While no one was hurt which is a relief, there is so much history . I look forward to hearing the talk. What time will you be on the air Centprof?

just coach just coach
Jan '15

Please list the channel too. I don't want to miss this.

Jan '15

I am so heartbroken to see this. I was in that house as a child ~ our neighbor's sister was living there, Mrs. McCracken (nee Thorp) and while I don't remember specific details, I do remember being mesmerized. A piece of Hackettstown history lost, so very sad. Hopefully it can be restored?

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jan '15

I am hoping they restore it also. This house was gorgeous inside. Decorated with antique furniture and original woodwork is what I remember.

We have to count our blessings that no one was injured, no other houses or structures were involved.

I was 10 yrs old when Williams & Hiblers fire took our house. It was devastating to stand there and watch my family lose everything we owned. I was following the fire last night but it just brought back terrible memories and I had to shut the computer off. Its a great loss to the College and the Community. SAD...........

Christine Christine
Jan '15

It is a tragedy to see this home go up in smoke. Everyone's concerns are reaching out.

Lets take a few minutes to take time to thank the brave volunteer firemen and all the people involved with fighting this fire.

Each and everyone, God Bless and you did the best for the serious conditions your were dealing with.

Charlie

Charlie Charlie
Jan '15

I believe this house was the same design and floor plan as the Ort house just outside of Hackettstown on Mine Hill Road. If it is/was the same floor plan, it has a number of interesting stairways and at least one floor trap door on the second or third floor leading to the next lower level. It is a great house design. I do hope they can rebuild with the original plans...

Jan '15

I just want to thank everyone for all the support and donations of food and coffee last night and today. I also want to thank all the help from local businesses who aided as well.

Last but certainly not the least thank you to all the firefighters who came out and stood in the harsh weather conditions.

HFD CHIEF HFD CHIEF
Jan '15

I spoke to President Lewthwaite this morning and it looks like the house may need to be torn down. As per my job as college historian, I had the sad duty to take pictures of the ruins.

This is not the first time that Centenary had a "trial by fire." In 1899, the main college building burned to the ground. President George H. Whitney, our first president, came out of retirement and vowed to rebuild. Interestingly, President Wilbert Ferguson, who was at his home in Toronto, Canada at the time of the fire, received the news that the college was destroyed. He immediately sent a telegram to the Board of Trustees, telling them that he was resigning as president. He never returned to Hackettstown.

We are all in shock on campus, but I know our spirit is strong. We will most certainly survive this tragedy.

Please keep all of us at Centenary, especially President Lewthwaite, in your prayers as we move forward.

Centprof Centprof
Jan '15

And, we want to Thank You, HFD Chief and all of our local firefighters as well as all of the surrounding town's Fire Depts. who responded to this terrible fire on probably one of the coldest, windiest and worst nights of the year. We thank God that no one was hurt or injured. It really makes us proud as well to be part of a community that always comes together...helping each other...anyway we can...in times of tragedy or disaster.

joyful joyful
Jan '15

http://wrnjradio.com/wrnj-news-department/2015/centenary-blaze-picking-up-the-pieces/

Crazy.

Yuyuyu Yuyuyu
Jan '15

I second what Joyful said. I couldn't have said it any better than that !!

Mariann Mariann
Jan '15

Amen Joyful

Jan '15

Thanks to all the men an women who braved the cold for this fire and all the other fires this last few weeks. I am glad to hear that no one will be homeless with this fire.

Dadof3
Jan '15

So sad. A part of history is gone. However I am so thankful no one was hurt and no damage to other houses, other than smoke. It is an adorable part of town.

Centparent Centparent
Jan '15

I just moved into town three months ago, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately have had the opportunity to meet both fire,and police officers who have responded to my house on three occasions now. I think you guys are great and I feel safe living here now knowing that I have such great first responders!! I am so proud of being a part of this town and the people who protect it. Great job last night, and can sleep more comfortably tonight knowing you are always there if I need you! Thank you for doing what you do, I appreciate all of you so greatly!

Colem11 Colem11
Jan '15

From what I read this house was originally located in either Madison or Morristown and was taken apart, moved, and rebuilt here. I could very well be wrong, wish someone could provide details here.

The crazy thing is while it looks like the fire damaged every level of the building inside, the outside of the structure still looks relatively decent, minus the roof. As a preservationist and neighbor I'd love to see this beauty avoid the wrecking ball, but who knows just how bad the damage really is. I've seen worse be brought back.
I'd almost be willing to bet that a gutting of the worst parts of the interior and a new roof structure would be a sufficient start. One can hope.

eperot eperot
Jan '15

eperot you are correct. This building was taken apart and moved from Morristown to Hackettstown. I do believe with the leftover materials the carriage house was built.

According to the historian its a total loss. I too would like it to be rebuilt.

Christine Christine
Jan '15

eperot - here is an article about the building being taken apart and moved from Morristown -

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2015/01/centenary_college_fire_wont_di.html

Tomorrow (Saturday) is Centenary's January commencement ceremony. It will be a bittersweet day for us.

So far no decision has been made as to whether the house can be saved. It will depend on the reports of the fire marshal and the engineers to see where we go from here.

Many of you have been asking about the history of the house. The following is from my book on the history of Centenary:

“The President’s House, on the corner of Moore and Jefferson Streets in Hackettstown, was originally built in Morristown. It was purchased by the Hoffman family in 1910, taken apart, numbered, and shipped by railroad to its present location. There was enough material left over to build the house next door on Moore Street for Mrs. Hoffman’s mother. The family lived in the home until it was sold to Centenary College in 1946. The photo was taken in October 1945, a few months before its purchase by the college.”

The attached photo was taken in 2000 and shows the staircase in the living room of of the house. President Stephanie Bennett-Smith and Dr. John Shayner are posing with exchange students from Obirin, Japan.

Centprof Centprof
Jan '15

Some great photos!

http://fire-46-photography.smugmug.com/Structure-Fires/2015-Fires-/Hackettestown-4th-Alarm/i-w6Vnrzp

Christine Christine
Jan '15

Thanks for the link Christine. We are planning an exhibit at the college library called "Remembering the President's House." We will be displaying the photos of the house over the years from our archives. I will let forumites know when it's ready.

centprof centprof
Jan '15

The house and the surrounding grounds were always kept in immaculate condition. Walked passed that house for many years. Very sad to pass by it today and see the area scarred. I hope it can be a scar that can be healed.

eje36 eje36
Jan '15

Centprof

I'm curious as to what property in Morristown the house originally was built on and when it was originally built. Since it states there was enough extra lumber to build another house I'm also wondering if that was because they separated a section out of the original house that would have made it too large for the property or that the original house was "overbuilt" and they perhaps found they didn't need studding on 12" centers and making it on 16" centers saved lumber or something similar.

Of course knowing who the Hoffmans bought the house from and where it was located in Morristown gives rise to the possibility that even older photos or a painting of the house in its earlier location may exist. Perhaps you already explored that in your book? Thanks for your pictures and postings!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

I can only imagine the difficulties this fire poses for the College. Obviously, the reports of the fire marshal and various structural engineers will weigh in on the decision of what to do with the property. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I truly hope the powers that be make every effort to see the building repaired rather than torn down. There is so much good about the house as it sits, and I truly believe it would cost less to make the needed repairs than to tear the whole thing down, cart it away, and then build something else on the spot. It isn't a question of feasibility, but of will. This is a very special and beautiful part of town specifically because of the old architecture that makes it up. Preservation is what will keep it that way.

eperot eperot
Jan '15

Next week I will be in the Centenary Archives, retrieving as many photos as we can of the house that we have. We plan to display them in the college library for all to see.

I do know that Mr. Hoffman owned a hardware store in town in the building that became the Hackettstown Trading Post. I also was told that the house was owned by the Morristown Unitarian Fellowship when it was in Morristown. I'm guessing that the house was originally built in the 1870's or 1880's. It was too large for the Hackettstown lot so the leftover materials were used to build the second house next door for Mr. Hoffman's mother-in-law. I was in the President's House many times, and in the attic you could still see the numbers on the studs and rafters, telling the carpenters where to put them as they re-assembled the house.

As I was under a very tight deadline when finishing the book I didn't have time to research the house any further, but I will be working with our excellent library staff next week to find out as much as possible and share it with all with you.

I am also hoping that at least the exterior structure of the house can be saved. I will let all of you know as soon as a decision is made and can be released to the public.

All of us at Centenary greatly appreciate your interest and concern.

Centprof Centprof
Jan '15

It's so sad. I've been inside the house many times over the years. My mother is the housekeeper for the college and the house. She was just there a couple days befor this happened.

Laurac Laurac
Jan '15

Centprof

I'm really hoping that the house will be found to be able to be restored. It would be ashamed to lose such a historic and lovely structure.

I looked into the Morristown Unitarian Fellowship and while their website states that they've only been in existence since 1955, I think I found a clue to its earlier history:

http://www.muuf.org/AboutUs.html

"Our Building is very special. "Thorne Oaks" was built in 1912 by the architects Delano and Aldrich for a wealthy New York City family who wished to have a country home for weekend getaways."

Since the new house on that property was built in 1912, it's conceivable that the original house on the property (if there was one) was the one that was disassembled and moved, later becoming the President's House. That property is within a 2 mile straight shot of the Traction Line Recreational Trail too.

By the way, the muuf link has another where the paragraph says "Our building". That link leads to a pdf that has this at the beginning -

"The estate is located on the former site of Brightstowe, the estate of Wheeler Hazard Peckham; the last portion of Brightstowe remains as the basement’s interior south wall." Upon googling that result, I came upon this link to a book that I've read before:

https://books.google.com/books?id=jLGDcu-PsrkC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=Brightstowe+%22Wheeler+Hazard+Peckham%22&source=bl&ots=9FJ8ATT0OR&sig=1YYKLU3niwCM3yDDsJ1FqT_vdHY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NrGxVIqAEKHHsQS0oICQCA&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Brightstowe%20%22Wheeler%20Hazard%20Peckham%22&f=false

Apparently, the present home of the MUUF is the building known as "Gateways", "built by railroad baron William V.S. Thorne in 1910". "To make room for it he razed 'Brightstowe' the mansion of Wheeler Hazard Peckham, a showplace in the early days of Normandy Heights" Brightstowe was originally built in 1891 and since the time frame fits, it could be that the "razing" was the disassembly and moving of the original "Brightstowe" Mansion, rather than just a simple destruction job, or at least that's my theory.

Apparently their new mansion was called "Gateways" and later was changed to "Thorne Oaks" in honor of the man who had it built. If you want to find anything earlier on the Centenary "President's House" I'd suggest looking in the archives of the Morristown & Morris Twp. Library's Local History section for info on "Brightstowe". I'd imagine they or the local Historical Society (Morristown's) may have the earliest info on it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

By weird circumstance, I have lived in two burn houses; the first built with the remains of a burn that totaled the house and the second being burned itself but still standing.

On the first house, using the salvaged wood had zero bad effect except for the "look." Mostly joists and rafters were saved. You could smell the burn, but only if you literally put your nose to the wood.

On the second house, besides the ice, the picture was familiar to this fire but probably not as bad in reality. The good news is the burned timbers are actually really strong, some are literally like forged steel. Hard to drive a nail into them. The bad news is the attic, on a hot humid day, still smells of smoke ------ 35 years later. So when the attic fan is on and you're in the back yard, you get that ole familiar smell. But the rest of the house is just fine.

I hope they save it.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jan '15

Thanks so much for the information Phil. I know the director of the Morristown Library very well (and he's a Hackettstown resident) and he can help us track it down. My information comes from Ernie Dalton, who was the "unofficial" college historian at Centenary many years ago. Sometimes his information was reliable, sometimes not. We now have a professional archivist on staff so if we have the information in our archives, we should be able to find it.

I am very impressed with your research skills. If you're ever on campus please feel free to stop by Brotherton Hall for a chat.

Centprof Centprof
Jan '15

Have they said what caused it?

Jan '15

Centprof

Invitation accepted and thanks so much for the compliment By the way, you may be interested that two houses were taken apart at that location in Morristown, not just one. I'll send you the details in a couple of hours when I get back home and am catching up on my email, etc.

By the way, it's a shame that the college allowed DuBois Hall to fall into such disrepair after it was moved to make room for Brotherton Hall. That was a gorgeous building! Sadly, I know that budget doesn't always allow for upkeep of older buildings. I remember when I attended Slippery Rock. Our weightlifting/powerlifting club was in the basement of one of the old Gym buildings. It was a bit disconcerting to be doing bench presses and watching the floor flex and rumble above you as people playing basketball on the first floor moved around. Sometimes pieces of ceiling would drop too - EEK!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Centprof

Check your mail please. I just sent you a PM through here and I thought I'd let you know just in case it went into your junk file.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Got it Phil--thanks.

Interesting you mention DuBois Hall. It used to stand where Brotherton Hall is now, on the corner of First Ave. and Moore Street. It was jacked up and rolled on telephone poles to where the new gym is now. The day it was moved, classes were cancelled so students could watch the house roll across the campus. I was also hoping that the college would restore it but it fell into such disrepair that it had to be demolished. If you remember, Centenary also used to own a red house next to the Hackettstown ball field. That house was demolished in the 1990's.

Picture of DuBois is attached. Here is the description from my book:

"The Faculty House was built in the 1870’s and was later named DuBois Hall, in honor of H. Graham DuBois, a faculty member from 1929 to 1965 who lived in the house for many years. To make room for Brotherton Hall, it was moved to where the rear portion of the gym now stands. It later housed the college development office, fell into disrepair in the 1990’s, and was demolished in 2000. This photo was taken in 1932."

Centprof (Dr. Frey) Centprof (Dr. Frey)
Jan '15

Yes, it was definitely a lovely house! It's interesting how they were able to use such a low-tech method of moving the house too. Telephone poles - wow - essentially like some believe the pyramids' stones were moved, though I'm sure the DuBois house used a tractor or bulldozer to pull, rather than people pulling it;-)

Hopefully the insurance will provide enough coverage for the President's House to be restored. The outside is only part of the whole. I can see by the earlier picture you posted from 2000 with the exchange students from Japan that the interior detailing was excellent too, though I definitely wonder how awesome the stairway might look if it had been just natural lacquered wood, rather than painted all white.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Press Release(1/13/15): **UPDATE**On The 4 Alarm Structure Fire That Happened On (1/7/15)**
The cause of the fire at 401 Jefferson St is undetermined. There was also no evidence to indicate that the fire was intentionally set. The investigation was conducted by the Hackettstown Police Detective Bureau and the Warren County Fire Marshall.

littlelu littlelu
Jan '15

The Centenary library has begun to post some photos and history about the President's House--really worth a look.

https://tmlarchives.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/the-presidents-house/

Centprof Centprof
Jan '15

Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing these archives.
Very interesting!

Jan '15

Centprof

I was able to do some more research today. "Brightstowe" was the first house built in what was the "new" development of Normandy Heights. Peckham had it built to use as his country home, commuting to work in NYC, where he had a law firm. He was a member, and several times President of the NYC Bar. He was also one of those responsible for prosecuting the famous "Tweed Ring", which was how he originally gained the notice of the public and was nominated for the Supreme Court by Grover Cleveland, but wasn't confirmed. His younger brother, Rufus Wheeler Peckham was later nominated and confirmed to the Supreme Court. He passed away in Sept. of 1905 while on his way in to NYC office from his Country home. His wife didn't need such a large home after his death, but perhaps she kept it up to honor her husband's memory, until the time it was sold and taken apart.

I found another map showing the home and one source does mention that the house was razed, but parts were used for a funeral home, but there is never any mention in any of the sources I could find (on the Morristown end, that is) that actually say it was taken apart to be rebuilt. It could be that Peckham's widow planned on finding a buyer that would move it, rather than destroy it and that was why she kept it in good repair right to the end. I still have some other sources in mind to consult over the weekend. We'll see what I can come up with to expand on what's known already.

I love the link - great pictures, love that dining room too! Thanks for sharing it all!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

I was heartened to see two contractors inspecting the roof of the house today on my morning walk with the dogs. They were talking about the damage and l can only imagine it must be for an estimate for the replacement of the roof structure. Hopefully, demolition is now being considered a less favorable option. One can hope.

Eperot Eperot
Jan '15

Strange they cant figure out what caused it.

Feb '15

About time this wretched stinking mess should be cleaned up, no?

eapos eapos
Apr '15

Well, looks like it's a tear down job. A friend who goes to Centenary said she got an email explaining that this week the house will be torn down and now there is a big komatsu wrecker in position. What a shame. I wish at leaat they would have allowed someone to perform some salvage work on components that aren't damaged.

Eperot Eperot
Apr '15

Who should pay for the tear down, Hackettstown taxpayers or the College?

auntiel auntiel
Apr '15

I'm sure the insurance company is paying for the demolition.

I agree, It is too bad some of the architectural elements could not have been removed. I assume the structure was deemed too unsafe for that to take place. I am curious as to what may be constructed in its place if anything at all.

They should move the beautiful eye sore on 517 by the church and make it the new president house. It would be a win win situation

concerned concerned
Apr '15

Ahh! You mean St. mary's rectory? That house is gorgeous and it's a sin they are allowing it to fall apart. They don't make them like this anymore, folks! Protect your local historic structures or you become just Anywhere, USA.

Eperot Eperot
Apr '15

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2015/04/demolition_begins_on_centenary.html#incart_river

After seeing the pictures, it's such a sad state of affairs to see such a nice solid house go to waste. There looked to be furniture in there, some of which may not have been too damaged to restore and it looked as though much of the structure itself was still good solid wood. (Perhaps not though, but that's only from looking at the pictures and video). Unfortunately, after the fire, the insurance co. didn't seem to take any steps at all to try to stabilize the remainder of the house by tarping up the roof and boarding up the windows and doors against the snows that came later or anything like that, at least I didn't seem to see anything like that the times I drove by to check it out.

They probably figured they wouldn't put money into it to do any work to stabilize it and they'd just negotiate a payout with the college. Sadly, even if the original designs for the house were found, the modifications to make two houses out of it would make it harder to easily rebuild it on the same foundation if the College wanted to do so:-(

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

I heard the college is looking to replace the house with an office building.

DrLAF DrLAF
Apr '15

Why not a CVS?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

The house will be rebuilt very close to the original as it will have same foundation and design will be done in collaboration with Historic Commission. Relax.

Hondo Hondo
Apr '15

Seems the cause of the fire is being swept under the carpet.

hapiest girl
Apr '15

That's very good to hear

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Engineers determined that the house could not be saved. The college did attempt to salvage as much as they could from the house, but none of the furniture could be saved. I have photos of the interior of the house after the fire that show the extent of the damage. We are planning a program and library exhibit about the house that will be announced soon, which will include many of the photos we have, both before and after the fire.

I have no information on the official cause of the fire.

Nothing is official at this point, but from what I have heard, the plan is to rebuild the house on the original foundation. Ironically, the Seay Building was built on the foundation of the original Centenary building that burned down in 1899.

We are all heartbroken at Centenary after watching the demolition of the house, as are our neighbors. I understand the rumor mill, as nothing is official yet. I promise to update any information on this forum as I receive it.

Centprof Centprof
Apr '15

Thanks for the official comments Centprof!

I was hoping you'd weigh in on the subject, since I hadn't heard from you yet. As I mentioned above, judging by the video and pictures, it looked as though it was well built to begin with, but it's too bad that the house was in much worse condition than it looked in the pictures. That must have been why they didn't take any steps to shield it from the elements afterwards. It's too bad Centenary couldn't save any furniture, etc. at all. I feel badly for all the students, faculty and neighbors who've seen this treasure destroyed, both in the initial fire and now in its demolishment.

Was the College able to locate anything in the archives from the Hoffman family with regards to the architect (if there was one) that helped to "divvy" up the house into two units? I imagine there had to be plans for them to rebuild everything. If those were kept by the Hoffman family or architectural firm, perhaps they are available in the archive or on file somewhere with the town or county? I'm sure a firm or a local College or University that teaches Architectural Design (I don't think it's offered at Centenary) would be glad to help in modernizing those plans as well to provide for modernization of the systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.) to make the house as "Green" as possible, while maintaining a Historic exterior.

Maybe the College should consider contacting "This Old House". Just imagine the possibilities for both the College and the local community. Obviously there are, or could be negatives, but it could be a win/win situation!

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

hapiest girl

Just because a fire is of "undetermined" but not suspicious origins, doesn't mean that there's some big conspiracy afoot. They obviously found no traces of an accelerant used and the damage may have been so bad and engulfing that it was hard to determine an area of specific origin, such as an electrical device shorting out or snow melt infiltration into an electrical area, causing a short or even a forgotten scent candle. There are a large amount of possibilities which are NOT nefarious and which the College and Fire Inspectors may not have been aware of or able to find. Accidents happen and many buildings around the turn of the century were lost due to fire, including hotels and hospitals. Don't forget, the Insurance inspectors were probably over it with a fine-toothed comb to be sure that it wasn't suspicious, so they could get out of paying a claim on it of it was.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

I would love to see the exhibit, thanks for the update centprof!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.