LOST Black Cane Corso Puppy, Alphano Rd.; "Baloo"

Hi, Someone sent this email to me, please take a look at this dog that is lost. I hope he is able to survive these cold days and he is a young puppy. Please be on the lookout for him. Thank you.
https://www.akcreunite.org/cares-pub/recovery/lpa/lostPetAlertBroadcastFacebookView.car?lostPetAlertId=17496

Poor pup. I shared this on my FB page. I hope he's found soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Thank you. He's a big dog and people may be afraid to approach him. But if they see the email and know he's a puppy, may be more willing to help.

Balou is an 8 month old puppy, very friendly and unaware of his size. Craig recently lost his dog to cancer and just got Balou about 2 months ago. Craig's 44 year old grandaughter is very attached to Balou and is heart broken that he has not come home. Balou was last seen at the intersection of Alphano & Ryan Rd in Independence Twp, NJ. There is a reward for Balou's safe return. Please call Craig if you have seen Balou or know where he is 908-482-6104 or email me

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Did anyone try Kucharski's on Ryan Rd. I live at the beginning of Alphano and haven't seen him. I will definitely keep my eyes open.

Sherry Sherry
Jan '15

Call the Animal Control Officer, also some of the local vets in the area. There is also a NJ Facebook page for lost and found animals. Good luck in finding Balou.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jan '15

I live a few houses away from the corner of Alphano and Ryan Road. Will keep me eye out.

Fuji
Jan '15

Re: LOST Black Cane Corso Puppy, Alphano Rd.;

I shared it on facebook. Also it is posted on several Garage sales on facebook

Bella76 Bella76
Jan '15

Thank You everyone! Craig has called Animal Control in Great Meadows as well as Hackettstown. We both have made the local vets as well as the one Craig uses aware that Baloo is missing. I have posted on Facebook but please anyone feel free to repost it on there as well...it gets the word out that way...we all know different people so it helps!
Thank You for Fuji... Craig was going to all his neighbors to let them know....
Thank You Sherry, dogs travel so we appreciate you watching out at your end too!

Kucharski's was the first place Craig looked as that is the direction Baloo took off in & Kucharski's are friendly with Craig so they are watching. When the young woman had the car accident at the end of Ryan Rd and her cat escaped the car....Craig went looking for her cat everyday until he finally found the cat....let's hope Baloo is found for Craig!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

correcting my post...Craig's 4 year granddaughter is heart broken not 44 year old LOL

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

I shared on a bunch of Facebook pages also......please tell them to put something outside with the dog scent so he can pick up on it if he is close

Candace J Candace J
Jan '15

Shared to FB. Safe home pooch!

weebiekins weebiekins
Jan '15

This is heartbreaking to hear. It is too bitter cold outside for a puppy. I hope he is found quickly. Also, put up a ton of flyers...not everyone used social media. Did he go missing today 1/6? or has it been a couple days?

villani villani
Jan '15

Also cooking bacon or burgers on a grill might draw them in...also the snow will be good to see tracks...everyone keep an eye out....

Candace J Candace J
Jan '15

If he left home he will prob come back on his own

Nosila Nosila
Jan '15

Virginia - I believe I met Craig when I picked up my cousins cat. I will do all I can to help as I was grateful we found Noel. Tell him to go to WRNJ site and post missing pet they will talk about it on the radio everyday until the pup is found. Also, I emailed the dailyrecord when the cat went missing and asked them to post an article which helped. I hope the pup is found soon. If you need any help please email me.

Any word or new sightings? Is there a plan of action? I plan on heading up there today.

Time is of the essence, with the cold weather. Handing out flyers with his photo to homes in the area (he went missing), may be your best bet. Also, if more people know, it may add to people searching for him before it's too late, especially if there is a reward for his safe return.
Regarding the posting by Greg, it's really nice you are going to out to try to save/find the dog.

Thank You Everyone for the great suggestions!! We have put flyers in mail boxes all around the area and we are posting flyers in post office,stores,gas stations anywhere within the range of his house.
Baloo went missing on Sunday :-( , Craig has spoken with the local gun club as it is hunting season and no one has seen him...we are starting to wonder if someone has him and is keeping him :-( :-(
Villani-it is cold out but Baloo is 80 pounds of puppy so hopefully that will help him but as I said we are starting to wonder if someone has him....
Nik -yes that was Craig..he diligently looked for the cat everyday....he has a big heart! Do you have the contact at Daily Record? Thankfully Baloo is chipped and with that service there is a national sight for locating animals but then that only works if someone brings him to a vet........

We can't thank you all enough for spreading the word and for your suggestions....it has been since Sunday that Baloo is missing so concern is increasing everyday......

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

LK & Greg he is still missing. We have put out flyers and more going out today, we did hit mailboxes in the surrounding area from Alphano Rd/Catswamp/Ryan Rd and flyers up in Panther Valley.
Thank You Greg for looking!
There is a reward being offered for Baloo's safe return!

Again Thank You all!!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Greg- Craig has been searching daily, the local gun club knows he is missing so they are on alert,neighbors know... we are all doing what we can around work hours. Local veterinarian offices have been notified as well.

If anyone has any sightings of Baloo please contact Craig at 908-482-6104
There is a reward for his safe return!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

He is a beautiful dog. I will keep an eye out for him. He is also a special/valuable breed so there are people out there who do steal dogs. I hope this is not the case with Balou. Best of luck to you.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '15

Just one more thought. Did you drop off flyers at the Firehouse on Alphano Rd (near the Panther Valley gate). It's a great group of people, they may be willing to help find him.
UnfortunateIy, I know how tough this can be. Hang in there!

I will try and find the contact number I used for the DailyRecord, also rememebr to spread the word to towns over and far. Dogs can go for miles chasing something. One good thing is if someone hasn't taken him they (dogs) usually find there way home.

LK I did not think of Allamuchy Fire..I will check to see if Craig did tho!!!

Thank You Nik!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Baloo missing 7 month old puppy 80 lbs .....friendly.... please call Craig 908-482-6104 if you have Baloo or if you have seen him....REWARD for his safe return!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Try emailing here for DailyRecord

jungaro@njpressmedia.com
lash@njpressmedia.com
mizzo@njpressmedia.com

I would send an email to all three. I received a response within a day.

Omg, he is a CUTIE! Praying for his safe return.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

Just got back from the area. I looked quite a bit at some barns and out buildings on various properties to see if I can see fresh tracks in the snow. I did not want to trespass so I used binoculars. There are so many places in that whole area he could be hiding in especially Kucharski's.
I so hope he was found by someone and will be home soon. It is cold as hell out and only going to get much worse tonight.

I can't believe there has been NO sightings at all since Sunday. He's a big dog and word is out. Seems like you have done everything with getting the word out, flyers, etc...done a really great job. I too am wondering if someone may have him. I know that right in that particular area dogs have actually been stolen off of private property. This is actually now a more common thing and happening more frequently with houses being targeted and dogs taken away when left outside unattended, unfortunately. Now, of course this is not the case with this dog as he was seen running off but it's very possible that someone picked him up and has him. If this is the case the word needs to be spread further..to the PA area and NY state area. You can't hide this dog in a house and someone will have to see a neighbor walking a "new" dog.
I also wish the microchips had gps tracking systems on them. Seriously, HOW useful would that be?? We can locate cell phones when lost to an area...why not chips in pets? If they are stolen, police can locate them to the criminals house and charges can be made and if the animal is hurt, we can locate and get immediate rescue and care. It's ridiculous to me as to why this is not even offered yet.

villani villani
Jan '15

I agree with you Villani. With the value of that dog and with no sightings at all I'm afraid he may have been picked up by someone. While that is terrible- if he is not returned, at least Baloo's life is not in jeopardy with the extreme weather conditions bearing down on the area.

Very troubling all around.

They have solution that have GPS collars that attach to your cell phone. Basically its like Apples find my iphone app. Its find my dog app.

CraftbeerBob CraftbeerBob
Jan '15

Even if someone has him doesn't mean he is safe. I don't even want to go into with what criminals do with stolen dogs especially particular breeds.

I have a Rott and we are looking to get a fence. However, as much as fences keep dogs in, they don't always keep the bad guys out. I have known many people who have walked out to an empty yard expecting to see their dogs. The dog napping trade is unfortunately on the uprise.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '15

I hope people don't give up hope. He could still be out there. I didn't want to say but could be stuck somewhere or have his collar caught. Hopefully people can search their property/backyards for him. I wonder if the owner could put out wet dog food during the day, if that could also potentially help him return home.

Can someone who posts on Facebook put Balou on the NJ Lost and Found facebook maybe?

Jan '15

This reminds me of a story I saw a week ago regarding the same breed dog. So sad. I hope he finds his way home. Here are two Cane Corso's we need to be aware of.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152630072006378&set=vb.9335481377&type=3&theater

villani villani
Jan '15

Posted on my Facebook. I live on Alphano. we will look. So worried for him. My husband is on fire dept. will pass along

Tricia Tricia
Jan '15

Oh poor baby :( I hope he's ok! We have a Cane Corso also. Such great dogs!! Please don't be afraid of him if you see him!

Danielle Danielle
Jan '15

Nature Lover it is posted on Lost & Found pets of Warren County.....I didn't know there was one for ...i will work on that before i leave for work.....Still no sign of Baloo....someone is interested in trying to track Baloo with their Cane that is being trained for tracking..i have to pass along info for Craig. Craig is now sick with flu so search is off for a day or so.....hunters have been made aware of Baloo so hopefully that will help with the possibilty of him being stuck on something......

We are definitely thinking someone has him at this point as there has been no sighting of him...his chip is a national alert but no it does not track like GPS and yes they should develop that! I pray that if someone has him that he is safe and not being harmed.....please keep people alerted becasue as someone said this is a different breed that is not easily hidden, he is 7months old and 80lbs already! Please continue to spread the word and any suggestions are appreciated!!
Reward is being offered for his safe return!!! Thank You everyone!!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

I'm going to repost on my FB, bump it up to the top of my page. Praying he is home safe very soon.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jan '15

I had been repostjng on every garage sale page on Facebook and on my own page. I own 2 dogs and i feel for you. I will keep reposting. Im also praying that He is ok and if somebody have him to please return him to his home.

Bella76 Bella76
Jan '15

I am sorry to say this but a person aware of this situation because of this forum may have taken advantage of it?

janster janster
Jan '15

I've read on one of these threads a while back about a pet detective or pet psychic? Just a thought? And a tracking dog would be great. If I remember correctly, someone on here used one to find their missing dog and the scent ended on a street suggesting that someone probably opened a car door and let the dog in and took it. Can't be positive about the facts but I think that was the case.

villani villani
Jan '15

After work today I spent the hour or so before dark traveling through that area and stopping at various vantage points to use my binoculars and look for him, but saw no signs at all. He could be anywhere hunkered down confused by noise if close to the road or could be sheltered in one of the Godlewsky or other buildings in the area that aren't in active use. It's just a bummer than nobody seems to have made any sightings so far.

I hope he's spotted soon and brought back to Craig!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

The dog had been missing for 4 days, when this thread started. When the temps drop below 0, you can't just hope for the best. You have to be proactive for the dogs safety. The reward for his safe return also will encourage people to join the search. The fact that a puppy could be out there, dealing with the elements makes me want to help in anyway I can. Virginia, I've been driving around the area as well, looking for him and if there is anything more I can do, please let me know. You can't walk onto someones property, so those that live in the area, have a much better chance of finding/saving this dogs life.

Having been on the other end where dogs show up at my house that were from miles away - you cannot limit the search to the immediate area - especially with the cold - with extreme frigid temps, dogs sense of smell becomes inconsistent. being the pup ran up the ridge - he could have ended up on the other side (catswamp, Heather farms development, Ryan, Petersburg) - or potentially following the ridge into panther valley or the opposite direction toward great meadows.

hoping the best hoping the best
Jan '15

That's a good point, he could be much further out. Especially considering his size and the fact that he's a puppy with a lot of energy.

****Update on Baloo****** REWARD for Baloo's return***
As of this morning there has been no sightings of Baloo,no calls of sightings,no signs in the snow...... We Thank You all for spreading the word and for those that have driven around in search......we are still searching....I was just informed thru email that continued searching thru the woods,fields etc could possibly frighten Baloo into moving more so it will be up to Craig as to if we continue to search around.
We have been very proactive in getting this online,vets notified,animal control, rescues now & notifying groomers. Flyers were handed out,posted & put in mailboxes in a radius around the area Baloo lived...I will be putting more out into roads a bit farther out.....someone with a dog being trained to track has tried with no success yet....

Janster that thought has occurred to us but to not inform and spread the word would be worse! Sooner or later IF someone has him, they will have to go to a vet for health care so vets have been notified....

Hoping for the best.......Ryan/Alphano/Catswamp/PV weere first to be searched and flyers spread..thank you....we will spread them over to the development and other roads too....
LK , Greg , Phil D, Tricia, Villani, Bella76, Weebinkins.....and others....Thank You so very much for search efforts, posting,sharing etc......it is truly appreciated......

virginia virginia
Jan '15

You are welcome. I have been posting everywhere..on any type of social media. I really find that social media is amazing with making ppl aware. I think someone might have mentioned contacting local news media or newspaper?
Also, with it being almost a week and no sightings it disturbs me. Someone may have him. I don't have any connections in the PA or NY area but if other ppl do please post on social media sites/garage sale sites/animal rescue sites/hunting lodge sites even bars. If someone took him, he could very well be long gone and not in state. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to keep a dog with the whole local towns having their eye out but you never know. Think about Blue everyday.
The dog that was involved in the route 80 card accident in PA, where he escaped and gone for days had an intensive search and team after him and finally find him and it took a while but was able to lure him. Blue probably is in flight mode if still out there and will hide from ppl. I really hope he his found. Best of luck and also to the elderly gentleman that had his corso stolen. I've been spreading he word on both stories.

villani villani
Jan '15

My back yard is Stephens State park .I watch for him every day since it was posted.

janster janster
Jan '15

Are there any bodies of water in the area? I remember a family lost their puppy sometime last year and had search parties looking for this dog for like a week, everywhere!! Meanwhile, the dog was in their own backyard the whole time...the dog had drowned in a pond that was on their property. I can't think of any lakes off hand but if people have man made ponds or anything, that should be checked too.

villani villani
Jan '15

A puppy of this age can swim .It`s instinct.

janster janster
Jan '15

Well, with the freezing cold temperatures of the water you never know if his muscles got cramped up. Lots of humans can swim too but won't last long in freezing water.

villani villani
Jan '15

Drove around Panther Valley out the back gate to Alpahno Road to Ryan Road crossing over to Catswamp and ending on Water Street. No sign of the puppy. Will try again Monday afternoon.

This is not a human .It`s a dog a descendant of a wolf.

janster janster
Jan '15

Ok, so if a dog is walking on a frozen pond or lake and fell through the ice there is a 100% chance that the dog WON'T drown because it's their "instinct" to swim and because they are a descendent of a wolf? As I'm writing this, I feel like I'm loosing brain cells...this is so ridiculously stupid and naive.
janster....all animals that know how to swim can actually drown due to certain instances. Accidents happen.

villani villani
Jan '15

11years ago two of my puppies were "picked up" off my property on Alphano. (Before Facebook) we put flyers up all over a gas attendant In Buttsville recognized that someone who worked at a local plow business that he knew had the dogs in his truck. He contacted the guy who had taken my pups to his family in Easton, PA for Xmas presents. We got them back. My point is keep posting, keep searching someone hopefully may recognize the neighbor's new dog

Tricia Tricia
Jan '15

I varied the route I took this time too, approaching from Rt 46 via Water Street to Ryan, then Alphano and checked out the lower fields below with binoculars from a vantage point on Alphano. On my way home, I took Alphano to Ryan to Catswamp to Rt 517 taking it as slowly as possible unless there was a vehicle approaching from behind, when I'd pull over.

I did check as many side streets as possible too. The only thing I spotted was a deer crossing Industrial Lane, but no dog following or running with it.

Thanks to the two gents in the Black Chevy pickup that gave me some flyers to give out. If he's not found by Monday, I'll post one on the bulletin board at work. I really hope that won't be necessary though. I hope he's found soon or whomever may have taken him in or sheltered him sees one of the flyers!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Still looking. Hope he is found soon. I can't imagine taking someone else's dog but in this case with the cold u almost hope he is safe. It took 3-4 weeks to get our cat back so I have faith.

Also, not every dog can swim. My last two dogs would just fly there arms around and the one never learned.

Your welcome Virginia!
I saw on one of the post on the garage sale that somebody suggested to look into kaharski's, on Ryan rd. Its the junk yard. I dont know where exactly is that butaynr he could be hanging out there? Or somebody have him. Its just a suggestion. Thanks

Bella76 Bella76
Jan '15

Just got home from a rabies clinic in Long Valley. I was spreading the word regarding Baloo. Perhaps someone can get some fliers up there or at least post one by the door where everyone goes in.

The clinic is at the DPW building 54 Rock Road.

Phil D.....you met Craig! He was very touched that you have been trying to help.......Craig is very touched at all the people sharing our posts,flyers and offering suggestions.....Thank You All so very very much...........
Please keep spreading the word , if someone has him,someone may recognize this and may get him back that way!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

One would hope that all dogs can swim but unfortunately some do not for whatever reason they just do not get the instinct.....irregardless, it is very cold and if Baloo fell into water, her would not swim long due to the temps of the water and air...let's pray that is not the case...there is a small pond by the house and he was not there.....thank God!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

Tricia.....your story is why we keep spreading the word and flyers!! Thank You for sharing, it gives a little hope in a desperate situation!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

**********************REWARD FOR BALOO"S RETURN************************
Baloo is still missing....chased after a deer on Sunday Jan 4 2015 in the Alphano/Ryan Rd area of Great Meadows NJ 7 Month old 80 Lbs Cane Corso He is friendly! If you have seen Baloo or have him PLEASE call Craig Gallo 908-482-6104

virginia virginia
Jan '15

Hi Virginia. I was just at godlewski. I spoke with joe and showed him the picture of balou
Maybe Craig could ask Joe if he could look on his property

I feel so bad for this dog.

Lisa k
Jan '15

Someone mentioned on the found yorkie thread that they were walking neat Miller Street walking down near the baseball field and heard a dog crying and barking as if in distress back in the wooded area. You might want to check it out.

honey badger honey badger
Jan '15

I don't know that area, where the dog in distress sounds were heard.
Hopefully someone can look there soon.

Lisa K
Jan '15

I contacted animal control about the report of the dog crying out behind baseball field on Mitchell

Lisa K
Jan '15

Lisa K I think Craig has talked with Godlewski's when he told all his neighbors about Baloo. I will check to see..he may have just asked them to keep an eye out for Baloo...Baloo is more likely to come to a familiar voice tho!

Honey badger I will check with animal control again on the dog today.

Thank You all!!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Joe hadn't seen the picture of balou so I showed him the photo on my phone, from the forum. That's why I thought maybe Craig, could ask Joe's permissions to look in those structures on that
that lot. Also I live in pv. I can call the office to see if they can post in their monthly newsletter that goes out to all residents. If you want to check with Craig if he'd have any interest, please let me know. I'll call the assoc and see what they say.

Lisa K
Jan '15

Hi Virginia. I've shared your photo and information on FB. I keep checking the forum everyday in hopes that you found your puppy. I know you said there were no prints in the snow after he ran after the deer, but maybe if some of us can get together and search the area in which he went towards, we could try to find him. He could have went deep into the woods and got lost. If anyone has 4-wheelers that may help also. Good Luck.

LuLu22 LuLu22
Jan '15

Lisa K That would be great if they would post it in the Newsletter! If you email me, I can send you photos when I get home from work tonight.

LuLu22 Baloo is still missing and We Thank You for checking back here for news! Craig has searched the area many times, a person with a tracking dog has searched and many people are driving around to help look. If he is out there, the 4 wheelers may scare him.....we have had 2 snows and still no tracks....we are fearing that someone has him and is keeping him...we are praying they are not trying to sell him or use hi for breeding or dog fighting so we are asking everyone if you see someone that did not have a puppy and suddenly has one and he looks like Baloo..ask questions,get license number if possible and then let us know where you saw this person.....Craig 908-482-6104 Thank You!!!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

I hope you find your dog. I will keep my fingers crossed. To give you hope i know someone whos dog went missing for 3 weeks and he came home.

gypsy gypsy
Jan '15

You can try airing it on WRNJ radio. Local

gypsy gypsy
Jan '15

This is on a different thread posted 5 hours ago:

Two lovely large dogs just visited us on Shakespeare Rd, in Independence. Both licensed, one bulldog looking the other shaggy black and tan. Our dog thought they were swell, and he hates other dogs. They wandered off towards Chaucer. If any word on who they may belong to they're up here.

Just wanted to give an update:

Monday I emailed over 20 different Vet. places giving them information on Baloo. They are between Rockaway and Easton PA. I have received a few responses stating they are posting on their Facebook pages or are putting signs in their waiting rooms.

I know you are checking everywhere and have looked on Alphano but here is one response I got today. I believe you have already talked to Kucharski but I wanted to pass this along.

"I received a response from a small animal clinic in Califon, NJ that said that lost dogs in the Great Meadows area can be taken to the Kucharski Junk Yard for holding – apparently they have some kennels there. Someone at the clinic had a family member whose dog was lost at one point and was in the last kennel at Kucharski for a week before anyone knew to look there."

Kucharski no longer takes dogs or cats (and hasn't for several years). Here's a link to the ACO's for Warren County. It also lists where they bring any animals that they pick up.
http://www.co.warren.nj.us/healthdept/Anim_Control.html

Hi virginia. I sent you a private email early today. PV needs the article by 330 today in order to get it into
their monthly mailing to all residents. Please let me know
what you'd like it to say. May or May not allow small photo,
so should have a good description of dog in the text. TY.

Lisa K Lisa K
Jan '15

Make sure you cover Sussex county....it is not too far..

Candace J Candace J
Jan '15

Other thread is "Dogs loose - Independence"

Jan '15

Did you ever find tracks in the snow? It sounds like Baloo was picked up by someone. Hopefully it was an honest person and he comes home soon!

May not have made a difference in this case, but we recently got Boomerang collar tags for our dogs so they can't get caught on anything. They are great, stainless steel, strong, deep engraving and curved to fit the dogs collar and neck. (I am not affiliated with this company)

http://www.boomerangtags.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=Boomerang%20Tags%20-%20Branding%20-%20Bing%20-%20JumpFly

hktownie hktownie
Jan '15

I posted one of the flyers that Craig gave me on the bulletin board at work. If he is still out there and nobody picked him up, it will help to have more eyes on the lookout.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Lets HOPE someone picked him up and is safe, warm and being loved. Better then being out 24/7 in the cold. That being said, if he was picked up, lets hope they get word that he is missed terribly and do the right thing and contact Craig. Im always looking when Im out.

Jan '15

Thank You Nik for doing emailing! Kucharski's is just up from Craig's house and he is friendly with them. They no longer are a kennel. Kucharski's and employees are watching for Baloo since the junk yard is huge!
Hktownie, there have been no signs or sightings of Baloo in the snow :-(

Phil D Thank You so much for your continued effort to search for Baloo.
Craig has continued to search and is still posting flyers....spreading out the area.....a kind PV resident is going to get it posted in PV's monthly mailing to all residents...Thank You so very much Lisa K!
Botheredbyuu2 Thank You for your concern and for still looking out for Baloo

Someone may have picked Baloo up and is keeping him so if anyone sees a neighbor that suddenly got a pup matching his description ask questions about where they got him..........

That all being said...Baloo is still missing.....PLEASE contact Craig if you have seen Baloo or if you have him....REWARD for Baloo's safe return! Craig 908-482-6104

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Just got the lost dog alert for Baloo on my home phone, offering $1000.00 reward.
What a great idea! My heart goes out to you, I hope Baloo is found soon!

hktownie hktownie
Jan '15

Here is some hope

http://www.examiner.com/article/missing-dog-found-over-1-000-miles-from-home

When my two dogs went missing in Hackettstown they sent them to Common Sense for Animals in Stewartsville. Did anyone check there?

sha44ss sha44ss
Jan '15

Not sure if public schools will allow it, but what about contacting the principals of area schools, as well as other counties, asking if they are willing to show a pic and details of your pup during the morning announcements? Most schools now have tv/computer monitors in each classroom, and do their morning announcements on there. Most children love animals, and if they hear your story and see the pup's adorable pic, that will surely stand out in their minds. Not sure if the school will allow you to state that there is a reward, though. My heart is breaking for you. Best of luck.

Tiger Parent
Jan '15

I hope you find him, I would be heartbroken. I'm on alphano a lot, I'll keep looking for him. I've picked up a few dogs and gotten them back to their families, I hope some Good Samaritan finds him and brings him home to you.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jan '15

I know someone else who lost their dogs. They ran away. A witness saw the vehicle that picked them up. It as in the Karsville area. The owner tracked down the car and knocked on their door. They had his dogs in the back yard, hiding them. After some discussion they finally gave them back. They were planning on keeping them. I don't want to discourage you, however rescues charge such high adoption fees that people have resorted to stealing any nice dogs they can get their hands on. Our family is keeping an eye out for Baloo and will contact you if we spot him. I hope you're reunited with Baloo soon. A decent person would not accept a reward. I know I wouldn't. Best of luck with his safe return.

terry page terry page
Jan '15

Tiger parent...we will ook into that!
Yes we keep checking the rescues.
Thank you everyone for encouraging words to help keep hope!
I hope soon we will be posting goods news....until then, thank you for your searches, Sharing, and positive thoughts!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

quick aside, rescues charge "high fees" to ensure they can continue quality care for their dogs, and that adopters can afford to take care of an animal. No one stole a dog because a rescue turned them away, and if they did the rescue obviously had good intuition.
On that note, could be worth alerting the NJ Cane corso breed rescue. I hope you have some good news soon.

adopt don't breed
Jan '15

@ virginia
I am really 'praying' every day we find your dog. I have kids grandkids dogs and cats and I dont know how I would survive if any of them were missing! We are all looking!

You know I hate to bring this up because it is a 'negative' thought & disturbing but needs to be thought of>> but you said
"I was just informed thru email that continued searching thru the woods,fields etc could possibly frighten Baloo into moving more so it will be up to Craig as to if we continue to search around. >> I was Talking to relatives about your missing dog and they told me a story about a Great Dane whose remains were found after years in the woods>>>his collar got stuck on a branch or something ...a nightmare to me>>please keep looking!
Better to keep searching and find him than to worry about pushing him further. My husband hunts and that is how they 'flush' the deer out...

Doesn't ASPCA have a National 'DOG FIND'? You would think they would. Someone should start this with all these dogs missing!

sha44ss sha44ss
Jan '15

I saw this being circulated on FB this morning and we have shared it too. My FB friends are all sharing it as well. Prayers for a safe return for sweet Baloo. We will all keep an extra eye out while driving around.

BrandyB BrandyB
Jan '15

Hi Virginia. I'm new to posting on Hackettstown Life but having been following the posts about Baloo. Don't give up hope. When I was younger we had a dog that was missing for two weeks. Turns out someone found him and they were keeping him. We did, however, get him back.
Anyway, the reason I'm posting is to suggest that you contact all of the municipal clerks in the area since pet licenses are coming up for renewal. The clerks should be alerted to people who are applying for a first time license and also pay attention to the breed that is being licensed. I would check on Black Cane Corso and also Pit bull (to someone who is not familiar with the Cane Corso breed they might think the dog is a Pit Mix). If someone has Baloo and decides to "get honest" (meaning not giving the dog back, but being responsible and getting it licensed) they may show up. I would also get the posters out to all of the free rabies clinics that are being held. It's possible that Baloo lost his collar and if someone decided to keep him even with the collar and info, I believe that if you go for a license you have to bring proof of the vaccine. It may be time consuming and turn up nothing but maybe you can "stalk" the free clinics when they are held to see if he shows up at one. Are there any identifying markings or scars that could prove that he is your dog so it's not a he said she said fight if he does turn up with someone?

Well, I guess for a first timer I've written quite enough. Wishing you all the luck in the world finding him.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '15

Is he chipped? Just curious, because that'll exclude the need to contact shelters. Most of them scan for them.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jan '15

Good suggestion Nellejoy.

Jan '15

Still thinking of this dog and keeping eyes open. Hope he come home soon.

villani villani
Jan '15

I too hope you find your dog soon. I was just wondering if your dog had any training or socializing skills? Maybe that might make him less scared to come to someone. It's sad to think the cost of an inexpensive leash or lead and some basic training might have prevented this awful situation.

Redwing
Jan '15

@Redwing my dogs are trained well and have "inexpensive leashes" BUT that doesn't mean they don't want to run away and play. My youngest dog just ran away two nights ago and after 45 minutes of looking for him he came back home. He's a dog, which is an animal and in case you haven't figured it out, animals aren't humans.

Your statement is completely insensitive and it's sad to think that you exist. Perhaps basic training and social skills could've prevented you're lack of sensitivity in contributing to this awful situation.

Well said Tom, I could not agree more.

Tom-I am sorry to sound insensitive but obviously you weren't using one of your "inexpensive" leashes and your "well trained" dog wasn't "well trained". I guess the leash laws mean nothing to you. Well trained dogs don't run away. I think people who think it's okay to let untrained run free in freezing weather don't give a shit about their dogs. Maybe he'll come back or maybe not. One day your dog won't come back and then we can all express our concern for you. By the way FYI if you run in the road you might get hit by a car. Seems like you need some common sense.
I do hope they find this dog and use this as a learning experience.

Redwing
Jan '15

Perfect reply, Tom, to a sub-human jerk.

StuffIt
Jan '15

Hi Virginia. I tried emailing you privately. I would like to help putting out
Flyers with the reward amount posted. I'm thinking people will be more willing to try to find him, if they know about the reward.
Whatever it takes to get this dog found and safe. If you can drop off a stack of flyers for me somewhere,
that would be great. Thanks.

Lisa K Lisa K
Jan '15

Well-trained dogs don't run away? Are you kidding? Dogs run off all the time after deer and other animals; it's a predator response that you can't train out them. And this is a puppy to boot.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jan '15

"And this is a puppy to boot."

All the more reason to have better control of your dog be it with a lead or better training. Why take a beautiful untrained puppy somewhere he can run away? Would you walk your puppy without a leash near a road? I'm not insensitive to their situation. I just wish people with lost dogs used more common sense. If that's insensitive so be it.humans need to think for their dogs sometimes because they are animals.

Redwing
Jan '15

Would have, could have, should have. I prefer positive input rather than chastising. It most certainly is not assisting in retrieving Baloo.

I do have to say that I constantly see missing dogs because they took off after a deer. Even though your dog is 99% fine with opening the back door and letting them out to do their business and coming right back in there is ALWAYS that chance that it can run off. I do not agree with just letting your dog run around loose, unless your are willing to understand the circumstances of your doing suddenly running off. People tend to think that their dogs would never just run off, even after years if them being behaved. Hopefully, by this story people will think twice and keep their dogs fenced in or on a runner.

villani villani
Jan '15

Well, it's nice to know my neighbor is a total jackass. Thanks redwing. I bet your the idiot who's always driving as though children didn't live here.

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Jan '15

@aquarius & @villani & @greg

Absolutely correct! Hopefully Baloo is found safe and returned to Craig. I received flyers about a week ago when he first disappeared and I placed them in the neighboring streets mailboxes.

NoUseForAname- I think you need a timeout.

FYI-The Cane Corso is not recommended for novice dog owners. As a puppy, it requires strong leadership and consistent training. Its natural instinct is to be suspicious of strangers and for this reason it is highly encouraged to begin socialization as soon as possible. Ideally the Cane Corso should be indifferent when approached and should only react in a protective manner when a real threat is present.

Redwing
Jan '15

I had assumed that this was a forum to help get Baloo back home, to get updated info, offer ideas and maybe to offer words of encouragement.
I am not sure where it said how Baloo got out. Seems like a lot of assumptions are being made, was he allowed to just run out in the yard off leash (cheap or expensive) or did he run out of the house as someone was coming in. Most dogs are still predators by instinct and if he saw a deer as a door was opened he will more than likely escape and chase it, well trained or not. Yes, training may help, but it can be a slow process and Baloo is still young, Craig has only had him for 2 months and it could take longer than that to properly train a dog. Even older dogs that are well-trained have to review things (recall). They can forget stuff, just as we humans can.
If I'm correct in my assumption re: the purpose of this particular forum maybe there should be some refocusing. Everyone has a right to their opinions, but in the last a 6 or 7 hours just about everything I've read sounds like a bunch of children bickering back and forth and I don't think has been the least bit constructive or of any help to Craig.
FYI-Redwing- when you are taking a quote word for word from a source, in this case wikipedia, at least name the source from which it came and don't try to pass it off as your own knowledge of the breed.

Also, not sure if you are aware but for those who are putting the flyers in mailboxes....I hope you are doing so after the mail has been delivered. It is illegal for anyone to put stuff in mailboxes (other than for mail pick up or mail being put in by mailman/mailwoman. If there is something that has been placed in there postal workers are supposed to take it out and can just throw it out. Hopefully, if the flyers were in the boxes when mail was being delivered the person delivering the mail took heart and left them in. I'd check with whoever delivers the mail where they were place to find out if indeed the homeowners got the flyers.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '15

I apologize for not showing the source of my quote. I never tried to pass it off as my own knowledge. I'm sorry you assumed so. I'm not bickering but just trying to make a point to all those out there who think a dog must be leash free to be happy. I think in this cold weather a warm leashed dog is a happy dog. Sorry again for any misunderstanding Nellejoy.

Redwing
Jan '15

Nellejoy,
The postal workers are not capable of even delivering mail to the proper address.
I get other people's mail on a regular basis, and my neighbors bring me my mail that was delivered to them.
I don't think we have to worry about them removing those flyers..... they do the minimum of work required.

hapiest girl
Jan '15

There is a 100% chance that a dog will take off after prey. It is a descendant of a wolf.

janster janster
Jan '15

Hapiest girl,

Just stating post office policy.
I too often get the wrong mail. But they're sure to do something just when u don't want them to.
How else will they have room in the boxes for all that wrong mail they deliver!!!!

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '15

Nelliejoy-Thank You those are great suggestions!! Yes Jan?Feb is dog license renewal... Baloo had 2 collars on...a regular collar and a training collar. Craig searches the woods daily. Thank You for your thoughts & suggestions!

Sha44ss- Craig diligently searches everyday behind his house thru the woods over to PV and down the mountain,along with actively working with people to search,post flyers etc.... so he opted to continue to search!

REDWING since you opted to be negative here.....Baloo WAS being TRAINED, Baloo is very social, Baloo is a 7 MONTH old Puppy. Craig WAS WITH BALOO when he took off after a deer and Craig DID go after him but a dog is faster than a person and much more agile than someone with health issues such as hip replacement.....YOU ARE entitled to your opinion but PLEASE start your own thread venting YOUR opinion and frustration with what YOU think is neglect of common sense on how to properly make sure a pet does not run away! PLEASE I ask PLEASE start your OWN thread for your critiquing,opinions and instructions on how not to lose your pet, this thread is NOT about your issues,it is to inform of a missing dog to get the information out farther than we can by mouth,foot and car and with any luck find Baloo. YOU, REDWING do NOT have to go home to an empty house and a broken hearted 4 year old girl & Craig who DILIGENTLY WAS TRAINING his dog as he HAS trained MANY dogs before Baloo,so PLEASE do NOT continue to post on this thread. I kindly ask that of you and no more! Thank You!

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Lisa K,
I am checking my email !!

Thank You ALL who are searching,spreading the word and offering suggestions.....we are keeping local vets informed as they will not just randomly scan a dog that is brought in as a family pet, rescues are updated as frequently as we can, Craig searches everyday,his granddaughter asks where Baloo is often :-( Craig is a very close family friend...well pretty much family and I can tell you all he is absolutely touched by how many people are trying to help him. As of this morning, Baloo is still missing.There had been a call of a dog seen by his house but unfortunately Craig's search proved unfruitful.

Nellyjoy- no worries on the flyers,yes you are correct it is not legal, my Dad was a postal worker for 35years but this is a small community so I feel pretty confident that our mail persons will not throw the flyers away or turn us in. I am defintely taking your suggestion to heart and looking into dog license renewal time period and town clerks.

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Virginia-of course you wouldn't be turned in, my concern is that the flyers wouldn't be received.
I will be licensing my cats this week in Mansfield and will mention Baloo to the clerk when I'm there.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '15

http://awos.petfinder.com/shelters/NJ434.html

Not sure if you had been in contact, this is the local breed rescue I can find

adopt don't breed
Jan '15

Nellejoy- I sent you a private message! Ty Virginia

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

I searched craigslist on the off chance that someone had found him and was trying to sell him. Unfortunately not everyone has scruples and would actually do something like that. They do it with other items all the time.

You may want to post about Baloo on there as well.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Adopt don't breed...Thank you, that one does not sound familar...I will check it out!
Phil D both Craig & I posted on craigslist.....they probably are far down the list by now...I have been checking there for recent puppies for adoption too just in case someone is trying to sell him.......Thank u again for your help! Craig was very amazed at your generosity of taking time out to search.....

virginia virginia
Jan '15

Virginia--please don't forget--schools are back in session tomorrow. Please, please, please call the principals about my idea - if kids know ANYTHING, they will tell. My heart goes out to you and your family.
One other thought, although awful--there are still dog fighting rings, and people either train their dogs or steal them to participate in this DISGUSTING activity. I have no idea how one goes about looking into this...so sorry.

Tiger Parent
Jan '15

Also try the pet amber alert.....they call everyone with a radius....good for people who don't have a computer.

Candace J Candace J
Jan '15

I just posted it on MTOlive Buzz. It is a community webpagr just like Hackettstownlife but not as good. Hopefully somebody can give us some info

Bella76 Bella76
Jan '15

Just received the pet Amber alert call here in PV. I, too have been following this story, keeping an eye out all the time. I pray for his safe return home soon.

Tiger parent....I am trying to get to your idea....we have been trying to get to everyone's ideas....if you have a contact at one of the schools thAt would be helpful otherwise I will go right for the principles!
Candace pet amber alert being used! Thank you!
Bella76 Thank you!
Lola your thoughts and prayers are very appreciated!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

Any news :(

Bella76 Bella76
Jan '15

Craig 908-482-6104 said he will be searching this Sunday, with some people, meeting up at 10am at Panther Valley mall.

Lisa K Lisa K
Jan '15

I just posted on the Nextdoor Green Township page. I pray for Baloo's safe return

colleen26 colleen26
Jan '15

No news Bella76 :-(
As Lisa K said Craig is doing a search on Sunday if anyone is interested and available.....10AM at Panther Valley Mall.
I am unable to be there due to a Surprise Bday party at 12 but if you wish to go you can text or call him at 908-482-6104 or let me know and i will tell him.
Thank You colleen26.....even if he is no out there and someone has him, we want to keep posting his picture so that someone may recognize him!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

Virginia - quick question - just want to verify that you reported him missing / possibly stolen to the company that provided his microchip? This way, when/if he is scanned, I believe there is a procedure that is followed so that he is returned to you.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '15

Rebecka, yes Craig did that asap. The only problem with that is if someone brings him in saying he is their pet, the vet won't just randomly scan him.So we are trying to keep vets notified that he is missing :-(

virginia virginia
Jan '15

**** If anyone is interested*******Craig is doing a search for Baloo on Sunday January 26th at 10 AM. Meeting is at Panther Valley Mall parking lot near the pizzeria. Craig 908-482-6104

virginia virginia
Jan '15

I'm assuming this search is being done on Sunday so you can track down any tracks you see in the snow. I'm not sure this is obvious or not but I would bring with you pictures of what deer and fox tracks looks like and any other animals I'm not thinking of and tracks of those of a dog your size. This way, it will save time from ppl following the wrong type of tracks.

villani villani
Jan '15

Villani it's being done on Sunday due to hunting season ending on Saturday but the fact that it is going to snow will be a plus for seeing tracks!! Thank you for pointing out about other tracks in the snow.... i will mention that to Craig!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

I will be there.....hopefully the new snow coming will give us fresh tracks...

josepcan josepcan
Jan '15

Virginia- I promise I am not trying to alarm/scare/upset you on this because I don't know what would happen if my dog went missing (he is a 7 month old 100lb. rottweiler).
But this is the 2nd article I have seen on the internet about stuff like this going on recently (not locally though). The Htown life community is amazing and always comes together when an animal goes missing, but this might be something we should always keep in the back of our minds if we start to notice a larger amount of dogs go missing.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Dozens-of-Dogs-Possibly-Stolen-Out-of-Wise-County-289537771.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

I truly hope you find him and I have been looking whenever I go out, as well as checking craigslist (just in case) and posting on FB. I can't do too much searching physically since I am 8 months pregnant, but I hope he is found and will keep my eyes and ears open for him. Let me know if I can help in any other way. Good luck!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '15

sunshinenj, this stuff does happen around here. Maybe not that many in that close of time but there has been enough reports of dogs taken from right off of private property...in THIS area. Unfortunately, you can not trust your dogs to run around free (fenced in) in your backyard with out having your eye on them. People with scope out your dogs...just like they do for robberies.

villani villani
Jan '15

sunshinenj
Thank you for helping! Reposting and being aware when you are out is a big help so Thank You very much!!!
Yes it is happening more and more and the fear is that someone may have taken him for breeding or worse......i do not want to put it in words.............not long ago an elderly man's cane corso was stolen from him..it was on the news and in new jersey........
the hope is that he is still out there..we have heard some good stories thru this about dogs missing for months and then found...praying this one ends that way too!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

Thank You josepcan!! I will not be able to attend the search that day as I have 2 birthday parties that day but Craig will be most grateful for any help he can get! He will be in the parking lot at panther valley mall by the pizzeria at 10 am.....you can text him if you have any questions.....again Thank You so very much!

virginia virginia
Jan '15

I just read on Facebook that there was a sighting in Blairstown yesterday... Is this true?

Anom someone called Craig with a sighting but Craig went &did not find Baloo. Can't be sure it was him or not since Craig did not see him....so people in the Belchor Rd area of Blairstown are looking out just in case

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

Good Morning Everyone!
Craig called me this morning and said there is about 1 foot of snow where he was doing the search. He is concerned about people helping him getting hurt, as it is very rocky and a mountain so he is canceling the search. He Thanks everyone that offered to help and if it clears up quickly he may do a mass search later this week but until then , he will only put himself at risk of injury not others.
Again, Thank You for your help and if there are any questions call or text Craig at 908-482-6104

Virginia Virginia
Jan '15

More hope
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6541320?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Someone saw a black lab go into woods on Old Bilby Rd. Maybe good idea to check it out! Snowing pretty hard,could be hard to tell what breed!!Saw it on Lost and found pets of NJ

Molly
Jan '15

This was followed up on.....but the person who sighted it verified it was a lab. Bilby road folks please keeps your eyes open....still a dig stopped and may be lost.....

Candace J Candace J
Jan '15

11:00 CBS News had a story about a dog missing since summer that was reunited today and is now home. He was spotted a few weeks ago, by a fireman who started leaving food for him but every time he approached, the dog would take off. With the storm he was somehow able to catch the dog.

Let's hope Baloo will find his way home too.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '15

Good tips from a person who has a lot of experience finding lost dogs:

from a woman who does search and rescue of lost dogs for a living and learned a lot of from her. She said that searching, etc. is not a good idea. If a dog is scared/skittish you are just pushing the dog further away. She recommends putting up trail cams and feeding stations. Once you get a sighting on a trail cam, then set a trap. This is from her: "Search parties, foot searches via human or off leash or untrained canines, can be detrimental to the recovery of a lost dog, I can't stress this enough. Please understand, a lost dog in survival mode, views people as a threat and often even their own owners. Every time people are out physically searching, you are setting back the recovery efforts and risking pushing them out of an area that they feel safe in, causing them to move and possibly pushing them directly into harms way.
It is human nature to want to jump into action, help and go search. Lost dog recovery, requires going against your natural instinct and having patience. I am often met with opposition by people following lost dog stories on Facebook, when I instruct the owners to call off search parties. There are exceptions to this rule, however, I'd rather err on the side of caution and make people aware of the possible consequences that may result from these types of searches.
The only time I would recommend search parties is if the dog is known to be physically compromised, such as blind, old, injured or a very, very, young puppy."
She also swears by Liquid Smoke (believe it or not). Its a BBQ sauce that she says is stinky as hell and somehow seems to lure the dog back around. She used it for our dog and her procedures worked like a charm. We followed all of her instructions and she had our dog back safely the next day.
She said her favorite brand of liquid smoke was "Stubbs"\
The other critical thing she said is to literally BLANKET the area with HUGE florescent poster board sized signs. Literally on every single solitarly telephone pole. Dont clutter up the signs either with a lot of information. People can't read anything while driving past the sign. Just a picture, a phone number and "do not chase, just call"

Hastings Hastings
Jan '15

A friend was at the Townsquare diner in Wharton yesterday and had noticed one of the fliers regarding Baloo. He said however that someone had crossed out the area last seen and wrote in the Sparta / Lafayette area. Was there a sighting or something?

I last heard that a jogger on trail in Lafayette saw a dog whom he believes was Baloo but was unable to lure him in.

Tricia Tricia
Jan '15

Saw the article in The Panther, so word is out there. Please come home safe, Baloo.

Greg & Tricia yes Craig has received several calls of sightings in Lafayette. Craig has gone several times and has not seen any signs of him. One day they hiked the trail for 3 hours......nothing. :-(

virginia virginia
Feb '15

Make sure he is putting signs up there

Nosila2 Nosila2
Feb '15

Nosila2 Yes They have been!

Virginia Virginia
Feb '15

Hi Virginia.
U may want to add note on the Lafayette flyers to call their local animal control before calling Craig. Maybe include that phone number. I'm sure that by the time Craig gets up to Lafayette the dog has moved on. At least animal control can get there faster and should know how to lure the dog in. Maybe call the officer there, if u haven't already to alert him/her to the fact that the dog was seen a few times. Maybe they can patrol the area once in a while.
Also, this will sound totally off the wall, but abbey glen pet cemetery is in Lafayette. With a dogs super keen sense of smell maybe he smells something we can't and is hanging out near there. I sure would.....it's gorgeous! If it doesn't sound too bizarre u can alert the workers up there to keep an eye out!

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Feb '15

Nellejoy
Flyers we had were used and I never thought to have animal control put on them!Looking into who animal control is for that area!
Thank You for suggestion!

Virginia Virginia
Feb '15

Have you tried looking for the same type of dog w description to adopt? I have heard of others finding their stolen dogs this way.

Toms
Mar '15

Toms - yes I did many searches for Baloo's breed on the internet. the best Craig can hope for now is that IF someone has him , he will be seen outside walking with them.
There have been no calls or sightings of him in quite some time. Last sightings were in Lafayette and several searches did not find Baloo :-(

Thank You for inquiring.....I will be doing another internet search...thinking someone may not post him for sale right away so I will try again.

Virginia Virginia
Mar '15

Woodbridge Animal Group - WAG Facebook Has a post of a cane corso found. Says senior but you never know.

Cherie Cherie
Jun '17

Just got really excited when I saw this post back up.
THe one on WAGs fb is a senior female unfortunately.
:(

KerryK
Jun '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.