2014-15 NFL Playoff thread

I keep getting a changing names is discouraged error in the other thread and the season is over, so I will start a postseason thread...

This weekend, I'm taking the Cardinals at +6, the Ravens at +3, the Colts at -3.5 and the Lions at +7.

I'm not sure if it's an omen or not, but Josh Harrison came out of nowhere to save the Pirates season and chants of J Hay filled PNC Park. James Harrison came out of retirement when Ryan Shazier and Jarvis Jones went down to injury to lead the Steelers in sacks. Josh Harris will be playing at RB in place of Le'Veon Bell. J Hay squared. Here we go....

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

I'm an old fan of Franco Harris, so we can throw that into the mix.

He'll probably be somewhere in the stadium tonight.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Since the state capitol is Harrisburg, and the game's in Pennsylvania ...

more omens.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Seriously, I think Big Ben is having the best year of his career ... he's been doing this long enough to really know what he's doing, and he's still young enough to be doing it, rather than coaching younger people in how to do it.

If you get my drift.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

This has to be one of the worst games ever. I don't think Arizona's punter or QB belongs on an FBS college team, let alone a professional one. I think the punter has three punts of 30 yards or less; he wouldn't make the team for a decent high school program. What the hell is he doing in an NFL playoff game?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Works for me. I was hoping for a Carolina win. Next, Baltimore, by default, as I never want the Steelers to win.

Great game by the Ravens. Congrats, Andy. Good luck in Foxborough next week; you guys have had a lot of success up there... wouldn't mind seeing you knock them out again.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

*&^%$#@! Steelers!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

It was what you'd expect in a Steelers-Ravens game, a real battle.

That front seven will now head for New England and introduce themselves to Tom.

Get on a nice first name basis with him, know what I mean?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Well I'm 0-2 in my predictions so far. I posted them in the NFL thread but will post them again here.

Cardinals - LOSS
Steelers - LOSS
Colts
Cowboys

I'd be happy to go 1-3 on the weekend, so long as my Colts win today's Andy Bowl.

Die Cowboys Die!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Oh god, it's the kiss of death...Calico picked the Cowboys.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

Yup!!!! :D

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Dalton is w/o AJ Green and TE Gresham. Those two account for a huge part of the Bengals' offense. As overhyped as I think the Colts are (did anyone see the spanking a mediocre Dallas defense gave them), I think this is an easy Colts win.

No matter what the outcome of the Dallas game is, I hope Suh gets his throat stomped on. The guy is a filthy dirtbag.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

Yup, he is a filthy dirty bag for sure. I'm rooting for him today though. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

It's a nasty game, a very nasty game, if you want to win.

Only the Cowboys are clean and pure LOL

They do have a Princeton guy for a coach, I'll give em that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Flacco never got to play "big boy" D-1 NCAA football, but now he's playing in the prime time Saturday night games.

Persistence and practice pays off.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Oh, well, the folks in Cincinnati will still have Ohio State to root for next week.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Super controversial call in that Detroit/Dallas game. I don't have an issue with a flag being picked up after thrown when there is a discussion amongst the officials. But to pick it up after the penalty was called is quite funky IMO. What's your opinion emaxx?

I'm not sure the Colts have a chance in Denver next week, but you never know.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

What a lucky day for Cowboys. Detroit beat themselves. Cowboys will never get past Green bay. JMO! ;)

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

I can't really comment on when flags can be picked up or not because I don't know the rules. I've seen refs call penalties late and also call "there is no foul on the play" after a flag. They didn't actually make a PI call. The announcers did. They simply picked the flag up from what I remember. I think at the time, the refs should have explained the situation better.

Now, in all fairness, I do think you could justify an illegal contact (resulting in a 5 yard penalty and 1st down) penalty. I don't think it was PI. PI requires you to drastically impede the receiver which I did not see (but I'm biased and admit that.)

Now, if we want to review that play in its entirety, there was a facemask by the TE on the same play and no one is talking about that. The penalties should have canceled out if you want to get technical.

Regarding whether the game was significantly changed, well...

- Dallas was flagged for a roughing the kicker penalty when the Lions punter landed on the defender. That gave Detroit a 1st down after which they went 99 yds for a TD. On the next drive, how come the Lions weren't flagged when they TACKLED Dallas' punter?

- Dallas was flagged for an offensive passing interference on #83 WR Terrance Williams despite the fact that he was PUSHED into the defender by another defender. Mike Periera (former head of officiating) stated that should not have been called. How come no one is talking about that?

Not going for it on 4th and 1, shanking the punt, failing to stop Dallas on their final drive (where Dallas went for it on 4th and 6), and then two forced fumbles by Dallas on the final drive is why Detroit lost.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

I think Dallas played a better game, Detroit did a lot of things to beat themselves, would not say one play changed the outcome of the game. I didn't think it was a well thrown ball, so I would not have called interference, but I don't think that one call caused the Lions to lose a game they didn't do enough to win.

Every game has its weird twists and turns and I don't think Detroit was mentally tough enough to get over that call and keep playing hard.

Maybe Romo deserves some credit for engineering a comeback.

I'm just glad the Ravens have January Joe Flacco who has enabled Baltimore to overcome lots of adversity and keep winning games. They never come easy in the National Football League, especially for that team.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I think Romo and Garrett deserve a lot of credit. Garrett took two big gambles (considering how well the Detroit defense was playing) with the 4th and goal and the 4th and 6 decisions to go for it. Romo was off a bit but he didn't take unnecessary chances (like he would've in past years) and that was smart. At the end, he was the one that made the passes to get the 1st downs and scores to win.

Obviously, Marinelli and Linehan deserve a ton of credit too for getting the max out of a the players. It's obvious that coaching (like it always should have) has made the biggest difference this year.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

Yes, Dallas has done the right things and they deserve to be where they are. It was Philly's division to win, but the Eagles let it slip away.

Detroit didn't go for it on fourth and one, even though they have all those weapons. They took the momentum away with their own play calling.

Also, Suh was allowed to play even though anyone with any common sense knows he should not have.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

We are finally in agreement Andy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

It happens once in awhile, I try to be objective and I've always thought Romo is good ... it was the team around him that needed to improve.

Romo made several big, gutsy, clutch plays yesterday ... definitely looked like a winner.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I appreciate that...not because of you like Romo but the objective, look-at-the-whole situation perspective. I can't stand the blame/cheer only the QB talk track.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

I think Detroit outplayed Dallas; they just didn't win on the scoreboard.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jan '15

I'm not sure what game you guys were watching, but I didn't think Romo looked too hot. He got the things done that he needed to, but was sacked 6 times and running for his life quite a bit. The Lions D line was winning the battle most of the game.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

+1 MG and Calico. Thats the game I saw. LOL

Jan '15

Detroit played the better game, and they should have won it.
even if you ignore the whole flag fiasco, how about Dez Bryant on field without a helmet discussing with ref? That was plain obvious.

Oh well, some good games coming up this weekend.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jan '15

I thought the officiating was bad throughout the entire game. First half the calls seemed to favor Detroit and the second half went Dallas' way.
The reversed PI call was the worst call of the day. The player ran into the receiver while trying to make a catch. Clearly PI to me.
The two roughing the punter calls were both correctly called.
The Dallas offensive PI call was real bad. Maybe I don't know the rules but I didn't see anything. No biggie , next play he scores a TD.
Twice Detroit tryed to draw Dallas offsides. Amatuer all the way. Earn your first downs.
For those two plays I didn't mind seeing Detroit lose.

Browneyeguy is right. Detroit played the better game. My opinion has nothing to do with the penalty flag being changed. They just played better and should have won.

Jan '15

"The two roughing the punter calls were both correctly called."

How is that so? Dallas player is flagged because he landed on the ground where the punter's kicking leg was supposed to land...hence a penalty. Fair enough

Dallas punter is tackled by the Lions defender and there is no flag? How is that non-call correct?

Romo didn't have a flawless day but he played well on that last drive when it mattered. He didn't take any risky chances (and instead took the sacks), made the throw to Witten on 4th and 6 and then worked the pocket to get the go ahead TD.

The Lions played a much better game in the first quarter but then, like Caldwell does so often, went into conservative mode. They scored 2 FG's in 3 quarters while Dallas scored 3 TDs and 1 FG in quarters 2 thru 4. Stafford had two fumbles on the final drive. How is that outplaying your opponent?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

I'm just being consistent, there was a similar play in the Ravens' game with San Diego where pass interference was called and it set up the Chargers for the winning touchdown. In the post game, John Harbaugh said he was "disappointed" it wasn't a no-call.

Had the Dallas linebacker been looking, he'd had an easy interception ...it was an underthrown pass ... I always thought catch-ability of the pass was factored in.

Had Detroit had the marbles to go for it on the next play, and gotten a first down, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Detroit did outplay Dallas in a lot of ways, but they didn't win, and I'm not a person who ever has been accused of being a Cowboys' fan.

Even Johnny Unitas had games where he struggled for three quarters and then pulled it out in the end. It's the W that matters.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Boy, speaking of Johnny U ... now the media is going to play up that 1967 "Ice Bowl" between Green Bay and Dallas.

That year the Baltimore Colts were 11-1-2 and not in the playoffs, a better record than both Green Bay and Dallas that year, and the Colts beat both of them during the regular season.

There were no wild cards in those days, and it was the first year the NFL (separate from the AFL then) went to a four-division setup.

I don't get all nostalgic and teary-eyed over that Ice Bowl ... they should have been playing in Baltimore where it was 50 degrees!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Facemask by Detroit on the DPI play. I wonder if the conspiracy theorist (not saying anyone here is one) think the Detroit news was paid off by Jerry too?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/01/05/watch-pettigrew-grabs-hitchens-face-mask-play/21295621/

More importantly, this is the video that needs to be watched:
http://www.totalprosports.com/2015/01/05/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-celebrate-win/

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

Pittsburgh had the "Immaculate Reception" in 1972, now the Ravens, in Pittsburgh a generation later, had the "Immaculate Interception," with Suggs somehow keeping that ball between his legs, a key play in the game.

I give Ianimal credit for not whining about the Steelers playing without Le'Veon Bell, who had a sensational season for them, a weapon both catching the ball and running with it.

Unfortunately, injuries are part of football, just ask the Bengals.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Trivia -- who was the NFL coach who always left a will-call ticket for Elvis at the window ... just in case he wanted to come see the game?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Jerry Glanville

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Good work .. what a character he was.

Good question to bring up on Elvis' birthday.

Flacco is getting a lot of love in the national press this week, which worries me.

I liked it when he was flying under the radar. Over there in Bahs-ton, Uncle Bill (who played for Annapolis High School) is working on a game plan for him.

Who will be on Revis Island? Which Smith gets taken out of the offense?

Flacco says he will just do his reads and throw to whoever is open.

The pass rush has to get after Brady and be quick about it ... Tom does not hold the ball very long.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

And about the Cowboys ... a friend of mine who is even older than me (that's OLD) says he never has liked the Cowboys because that is where Kennedy was shot.

Man, that's like over 50 years ago.

People have their reasons for who they like or dislike and some of my reasons can be just as irrational (-;

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

What do y'all think about this issue over whether referees' teams that worked together during the season should work the playoffs ... rather than these so-called All-Stars units.

I understand that what they are doing is a union thing, refs who grade well want to be rewarded by working the playoffs.

But, isn't it better for the quality of the game on the field, for groups that have proven they work well together and get it right, to be the ones who work the biggest games with so much at stake?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Well, I can say for at least one round of the playoffs so far, it worked out well. :-)

Per Mike Pereira, former head of officiating, they're not all stars. The top 70% of refs get to go into the playoffs per this current system. The SB may get the true best of the best but the rest of the playoffs have some very good and mediocre refs.

Pereira is actually against it and hates the system.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

Bill Bellichick said something interesting today (that's news in itself) ... he'd like to see coaches allowed to challenge ANYTHING ... including pass interference ... as long as they have time outs left -- that in itself forces coaches to be selective regarding what they do or do not challenge.

We certainly don't want to see reviews of every play.. games would take six hours ... but I think Bellichick has a point.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I agree with big Bill. No reasonable reason why not.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

The Cowboys vs. Packers battle of injured quarterbacks (TBD just how limited Aaron Rodgers will be) shapes up as the most intriguing game.

The home teams appear to be decided favorites in the other three games, but the FEARLESS FORECASTER on WFAN picked the Ravens ... hope he's right.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Time for Ravens Nation to get charged up ... lets go Ravens, give em the bird.

Said the Raven to Tom Brady, knocking on his chamber door -- never score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcwAfBj9k3E

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I don't like the Ravens all that much but in this contest I hope they destroy New England as I hate the Patriots more than anything. I also hope that Rodgers comes through and puts Dallas under as they are my second most hated team. Hoping for a Denver\Green Bay Super Bowl as Seattle is my third most hated team. Not asking for much am I? LOL

+++ Andy!

pmnsk pmnsk
Jan '15

MK - A lot of hate there. ;-) What is your team?

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Time for a historical trivia question ...

Who was the first African-American quarterback to start AND WIN a regular-season NFL opener?

He was the third-string quarterback on the depth chart, but got the start due to a pre-season injury to the number one guy, who eventually led them to the Super Bowl championship.

This team had three different QBs start games that season, ended up winning the Super Bowl.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Go Packers!!

#cheeseheadforaday

#anyonebutthecowboys (yes, even the -gulp- patriots)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '15

just a guess.. James Harris of the LA Rams

Doug Williams? Junior Gilliam?

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '15

Go Patriots....all eyes peeled for #52 !

Joe Gilliam with the 1974 Steelers is the correct answer.

Terry Hanratty also got a start that year and, of course, Terry Bradshaw guided them to the Super Bowl (plus three more the rest of the decade).

The Ravens won the 2000 Super Bowl following a season of several quarterback changes ... they settled on Trent Dilfer toward the end because he didn't turn the ball over ... that team didn't mind punting the ball one bit ... very different from the offenses we are watching this weekend.

Tony Banks, an African-American, started and won the Ravens' opener that year.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Hi Calico, I am a long time Raiders and Vikings fan. Still a fan in good times and bad as my love for these teams is as strong as my hate for New England and Baltimore LOL.

MK - Well, things might actually be looking up for your Raiders going forward. I really thought they were the most competitive of the awful teams this year. They hung in there in quite a few games against good teams.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Ravens, Seahawks, Packers and Broncos this week for me. Let's see who I gave the KOD to this weekend. Hopefully the Broncos. Go Colts!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

You gave the KOD to the Ravens, but they made a wild game out of it.

Four TD passes for Flacco but it wasn't enough, and he threw to an open receiver on that last play that got picked ... looked like it would be the winning TD, but the New England safety made a great play.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

The option pass by Edelman was the killer ... the Ravens were afraid to blitz after that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Time to root for the Panthers.....

Jan '15

Rootin tootin Cam Newton.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

3/4 of the NE secondary were RU grads on that play, including the interceptor.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '15

Sorry about the KOD on the Ravens Andy. :-(

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Belichick's son went to Rutgers -

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4742784/patriots-rutgers-connection-runs-deep

A few of Andy's friends traveled to Foxboro.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2015/01/purple_reign_in_the_parking_lots_at_gillette_befor.html?p1=Topofpage:Carousel_lead_linklist

I just checked. There are 19 Rutgers players on NFL rosters this year. 4 on New England.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

That was a great Ravens/Patriots game, could be the best of the post season play.

But where did Belichick get that hoodie? Oldstyle ---- I loved it!!!!!!

No one should feel bad about that game, great play.

Jan '15

I'm sure Flacco is second guessing himself on that last play .... it was not a Hail Mary situation and the running game was giving the Patriots fits .... I suppose he saw the receiver get separation on the corner and he went for the score like he has done successfully so many times before.

The safety made a really good play, especially since you'd have thought the Ravens would keep sticking with what was working.

At least, since New England has so many Rutgers guys, it gives me a reason to root for them now, plus, as I've mentioned before, Bellichick went to Annapolis High School.

+++for John Harbaugh for getting so fired up when the refs allowed ineligible receivers to line up and were not announcing them ... that Bellichick is a sly and crafty one. His team was getting a whoopin and he still found ways to win.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

GO PACK!!!

#anyonebutthecowboys

Jan '15

The Ravens were without THEIR Rutgers guy ...

Justin Forsett did a good job replacing him.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-md-forsett-20150109-story.html#page=1

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

MG -

From http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/10/31/new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-hoodie-record

"A Patriots blog called "Pats Propoganda" meticulously tracks Belichick's sartorial choices in a Google spreadsheet called the "Belichick Hoodie History." While it's far from comprehensive, it does give an idea of how successful the Pats are, based on Belichick's attire. "

America's Team. Not today!! Love it.

And now Mr. Rodgers, his day's work done, comes home to his pleasant little house in upper Wisconsin and sings ...

"it's - a - beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighborhood..."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Nice audible ... "New York Bozo."

What's the date of the Wisconsin primary, anyway?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Damn. Stupid rule but a correct call by rule.

It was a heck of a run for a team pegged to go 6-10 by most (including myself.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

I thought they'd be 8-8

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I am a huge Packers fan and will admit if that call had stood, Dez's catch was an amazing catch on 4th down at 1 yd line. You cannot beat that. However, a rule is a rule, no matter how small, and it was overturned. Also, Dallas had a little bit of luck against Detroit last game, so what goes around comes around. It was a great game overall, now we just have to face Seattle with an injured QB. I'm not so optimistic (just being realistic w/the defense that they have).

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '15

Been some great playoff games, look forward to Indy at New England.

Luck will need to match Brady touchdown for touchdown ... a big step up after facing Andy Dalton and the fading Peyton Manning.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Woot! One happy Calico tonight. Dallas loss, Colts win!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

I would love for Green Bay to beat Seattle and Indy to beat NE but my money is on a Seattle\NE Super Bowl if we are being realistic LOL

Agreed .. it would be a good Super Bowl to watch, too, to see what Brady can do against that unyielding Sea Hawks defense.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Not a Cowboy fan, but they got robbed!!

Jan '15

BBU: God giveth and God taketh away. And a giant "Karma is as Karma does" was heard in Baltimore...........

Call looked good to me, very good game, either team shoulda, coulda won IMHO.

Horse show was not bad either, although I though Indy looked better.

Jan '15

Aaron Rodgers was in rough shape yesterday. I don't think there is any way that the Packers can go into Seattle with any chance to win without him being 100%.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

With Rodgers at 100% Green Bay probably would have won the whole show.

That's football for ya.

I don't get the Karma remark about Baltimore ... they were a road underdog and made a great game out of it ... go back and read the story about Justin Forsett I posted yesterday.... read the entire story.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Brady is great, all there is to it ... Baltimore's defense allowed 12 points or less in six of their wins this year (two of those games were against playoff teams) ... Brady dropped 35 on them.

Peyton Manning, sorry to say, has seen his best days on the field ... he'll have a great career now as a TV analyst, if he does not want to try coaching.

On the field? I've seen this happen to Unitas. There comes a time when it is over.

The team that used to play in Baltimore KNEW Peyton could not throw the deep ball or fire a fastball when he needed to, and played defense accordingly.

That's not the case with Brady. His game against the Ravens was classic Brady.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

The Cowboys and Ravens can hold their heads up, they went on the road against teams that earned the bye with regular season performance, and really competed.

My take on the Dez Bryant play, a catch, down at the one, he tried to reach for the goal line when the play was over. Cowboys' ball on the one (certainly would not have called it a touchdown) ... and nobody has ever accused me of being a Cowboys' fan. I don't get the "continuous motion" interpretation.

The Cowboys should have run the ball more, they went away from something that made them an improved team this year. They needed to run long drives to win. Even at less than his best, you don't want to give Rodgers opportunities to beat you.

Cam Newton played a really good game, too, against the best defense in football.

I'm just glad we don't have to watch "mojo" Chris Christie celebrating a Cowboys' SB championship on TV .. that would have been too much to bear ... come back to Jersey and be a governor for a change, do the job we elected you to do.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I read that Peyton has had a quad tear. At some point, he's not going to be able to play at a high enough level. Now, HC John Fox is out of Denver. That all may be too much for Peyton to deal with.

Sucks. With Marshawn Lynch not expected to come back to Seattle next year and Peyton declining, I'm probably losing my two best players on my keeper league FF team.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

I don't need any of that Fantasy Football to make the NFL interesting for me.

Last time I played I was in my 30s and I had Dan Marino -- should send him a ring, he never got one in "real" NFL Football (-;

Was lucky, drew the first pick.

I'll be rooting for Ohio State tonight, just because Cleveland is such a tortured fan base. Imagine, a Ravens' fan having compassion for Cleveland!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I guess every NFL ref missed Dez Bryant fighting forward for every single yard since he was a rookie to think he would just fall down in that spot instead of extending for the TD ? Whatever , they had their chances besides that play and blew them , but had a much better than expected season overall . Incompetent commissioner Roger Greedell needs to go though . The replacement refs , bad calls throughout the season , lying about the Ray Rice situation , overeacting and banning Adrian Peterson for the whole season - he is the absolute worst commissioner the NFL has ever had ! Made the owners a whole lot of money ? Really the NFL is so popular they could've put a chimp in a suit in his place and made the same . But let's expand a league that doesn't have enough good QBs as it is to make more money . Goodbye Ginger Boy !

Zombo Zombo
Jan '15

Sorry, Andy, meant Detroit vis-Ă -vis the interference flag pick-up that killed their drive. Gets to be a blur for me.

Hope Rogers heals, would like to see a 100% game.

Jan '15

Greedell has been awful, Francesa really ranted about him today. One of Mike's best commentaries.

What can we do? The NFL is in a position where, no matter what they do, the public is hooked on their product.

What are we going to do, stop watching?

Anybody remember when the USFL went to court against the NFL, claiming they were a monopoly? The court agreed the NFL is a monopoly and paid the USFL three dollars in damages. That's not even enough for a Subway Sub these days.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

So, as Oregon is ready to kickoff to Ohio State to start the second half ...

think Jacksonville or Tampa Bay could beat the Buckeyes?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Both Tampa Bay and Jacksonville would beat the Buckeyes. Big difference between college and pros.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '15

"Both Tampa Bay and Jacksonville would beat the Buckeyes. Big difference between college and pros."

+1

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Just threw that out there to be funny, ha ha. A lot of those Buckeyes are on their way to NFL careers.

This is something Rutgers fans can be happy about, since NJ is BIG country, now.

Maybe one of those three OSU quarterbacks will transfer to Rutgers this year, opportunity to play.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

The speed alone seperate's College from NFL.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

nice job by the cowboys the team in thee beginning of the year played san fran and the stadium was full of niners fans, well they are done they should not have been there anyone with any football knowledge at all knows the call in the detroit game was just cheating, im not even talking about whether the call was right or wrong, im saying they called it marched of the yards said first down detroit and then changed it thats the first time ever happened in nfl, cause its illegal and those refs should be fired for trying to throw the game, is that really how you want to win, i know you didnt like loosing the same way, bye bye boys, see all the fair weather fans next year, 20 years and counting

There are young people enrolled in colleges now, who have never seen a Cowboys Super Bowl championship.

There are people a lot older, who have never seen one for the Eagles, Lions, Browns ... just to name a few.... been a long time for the Jets.

The Bills have come close, and now they have REX RYAN.

Those things are hard to win.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Anything can happen, but if it isn't Seahawks vs. Patriots by the end of the day, it would surprise me.

Must be a lot of other people seeing it the same way, otherwise there might be some lively discussion going on.

How about Pburg beating Easton in wrestling??

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

"Anything can happen, but if it isn't Seahawks vs. Patriots by the end of the day, it would surprise me."

I, unfortunately, agree with this assessment. However, the pack has shown they can surprise us.....

GO PACK!

Jan '15

The Pit was rockin, as they rolled over the Red Rovers.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Go Pack! Go Colts!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Patriots and #52 for me....hopefully on to Arizona!

Jeez.....Seahawks couldnt give Katherine McPhee an umbrella?

Jan '15

Well, that was a great 1st qtr... :)

Jan '15

Go GB!

Jan '15

Just have to close the deal.... (altho alot can happen in 3min.... I remember the Giants winning a superbowl with 2 TDs in the last 90 seconds!)

Jan '15

See? LOL

Jan '15

That was an enjoyable game, even though IMO GB deserved to win.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

Well, that overtime rule is the DUMBEST rule in sports.

If it's sudden death, that's fine- but it's NOT: "This is a full quarter... UNLESS: if the 1st team with possession scores a field goal, they have to then give possession to the other team. BUT if the 1st team with possession score a TOUCHDOWN, game over."

Yeah. Makes alot of sense.

Jan '15

That one was an all-time classic, one for the ages.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Looked up the James Morris career bio ... great college career at Iowa.

The Ravens used to have a back called BAM Morris, another one named Priest Holmes.

Jim Harbaugh was the quarterback.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Regardless of whether the Patriots win the SB or not, Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are the greatest QB and coach of all time. They aren't the greatest simply because of the number of AFC championship appearances/wins and SB appearances/wins. They are the greatest because it was done in the free agency/salary cap era. Prior to that, teams could stock up and keep HOF caliber players. The fact that the Pats continue to be so dominant is a credit to both of their skillsets.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

Agree JR!

Jan '15

The Pack have no one to blame but themselves. Five field goals. Two of them less than 20 yards. They could have put the Seahawks away early... but they let them off the hook and kept them hanging around. And then throw in the bonehead move on the onside kick and the piss-poor pass defense (how does that ball not get knocked down?) on the 2-point conversion and there you go.

As for the overtime rule, I think it's fair. With as good as kickers are today, a decent kickoff return and two first downs and you're in FG range. The coin toss shouldn't be that much of an advantage. But, if the other team puts it in the end zone on you, you don't deserve to get the ball.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Pats being investigated for using deflated footballs in AFC Championship game

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/deflate-gate--report--patriots-being-investigated-for-deflated-footballs-062844133.html

Jan '15

The Colts could have used Flubber and it wouldn't have mattered. The only two teams in the AFC who would have given the Pats a run for their money were the Ravens and Steelers. The Ravens gave it a yeoman effort last week and the Steelers didn't beat the Ravens so they didn't earn their shot. That said, I don't think the Pats match up all that well against the Seahawks. I'm thinking Seattle will probably be a 3 or 4 point favorite by kickoff, even though it opened at 1. I'd get your money in now if you plan to.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Re: 2014-15 NFL Playoff thread

LOL...

Jan '15

The NFL is investigating whether the Patriots played the game with a properly inflated Vince Wilfork -

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nfl-investigating-whether-patriots-played-game-wit,37805/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Pic%3A1%3ADefault

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Supposedly they did have 11 out of 12 balls deflated below the number allowed. How it happened will be interesting to find out. Would it really have made a major difference in the game? I don't know since it was such a blowout. If it had been a lot closer, that's a whole other story. Either way my team didn't make...bc we like to blow leads in the 4th in a championship game. Good going Packers!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '15

It wouldn't have made that big of a difference. If the game had ended 24-21, it would be quite interesting. That said, cheating is cheating and they should be punished if it's found that it was tampering. Hmmmm, that would be twice that Bill has been caught with his hand in the cookie jar......

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Always hated NE. They cheated again! Too bad if its found to be accurate, they cant be stripped of their title and disqualified to play in the SB. Obviously they feel they cant win on their own ability. Disgraceful!

Jan '15

You really have to start to wonder how many times Belichick cheated and DIDNT get caught...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

It's Gronk's fault....

yankeefan yankeefan
Jan '15

"You really have to start to wonder how many times Belichick cheated and DIDNT get caught..."

+1

Jan '15

So true Ian.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Very true!

Jan '15

Of course, there will be an investigation into this by the NFL office, right?

How about if Belichick is ordered to stay away from the team and not coach the Super Bowl, not even enter the state of Arizona?

And take away their first round draft pick.

It wouldn't be fair to all the Patriots' players who were not complicit in this to take the AFC title away, but I'd be OK with suspending Belichick for the SB game.

This is so much like Christie's BridgeGate scandal. If Belichick didn't order the air to be taken out of those footballs, who would have taken it upon himself to do it?

Who else would have even thought of doing it?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Makes you wonder where the NFL was thinking by actively separating the team's balls for the entire games. I say no more ball segregation, let the balls integrate at all games for all teams.

Jan '15

The Deflatriots has a nice ring to it, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

+++ ianimal

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I have to wonder if the balls were deflated for Indy if Luck would have completed more passes and Indy would have less fumbling because of a better grip on the ball. If the playing field was equal hen the score would not have been as lopsided as it was. What I really don't understand is the need to cheat to win a game when you clearly have a better playing team. I guess he has no confidence in his people doing what they are supposed to win. Seems like his character is flawed with a must win at any cost mentality.

I am not a huge fan of football. Didn't both teams use the same balls during the game? Im not sure I understand how the Patriots would have the upper hand?

Hockeymom115 Hockeymom115
Jan '15

I doesn't matter if the deflated balls MADE A DIFFERENCE. It only matters that's it's illegal... as in cheating..... I wonder if the Pats will get fined? They'll never be able to prove it was intentional, but.... usually stuff like this has penalties, no?

Jan '15

Both teams did not have the same footballs.

The refs inspect 12 footballs for each team about an hour or two before the game and then leave them in the care of a representative of each team (usually an equipment manager) ... from the accounts I've read and heard ... 11 of the 12 Patriots' balls were tampered with AFTER the referees' inspection, none of the balls left with the Indy team were altered.

The team that has the ball uses balls from their sideline ... the first indication that something was wrong came when Indy intercepted a Patriots' pass ... the defender ran to the sideline and gave someone the ball ... who said, something is not right with this ball.

If the Patriots had gone through the game without fumbling it or getting intercepted, none of the Indy players would ever have touched one of the Patriots' footballs. Defenders tackle the players who catch and run with the ball.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Belichick throwing Brady under the bus.

Jan '15

Brady throwing the ball boys under the bus?

Does anybody know what's going on over there?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

A leader DOES NOT throw his guys under the bus.... that's unheard of. (except in the Patriots organization, and the Obama administration lol)

Seriously.... a coach NEVER makes a player take the hit.... that seems very odd...

Jan '15

Brady actually said he didn't know if the NFL would contact him - Francesa on WFAN / Fox Sports One is having a field day with this . Troy Aikman said this morning that Brady had to have known and should be suspended from the super bowl . All of a sudden a game I had no interest in has become very interesting thanks to the Deflate-Triots and their cheating ways . Serves them right for trying to steal the name of America's Team - they can be North Korea's team now .

Hopefully the inept bumbling Ginger Boy commissioner Goodell will be fired over this latest blunder . They're coming to get you Barbara !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYR3dorshwA

Zombo Zombo
Jan '15

Gotta love this one.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

It's been a rough year for the NFL suits, hasn't it?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

To cheat or not to cheat.....that is the question.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

I've got a simple solution. How about the officials bring a half dozen balls to the stadium and both teams use the same ones. Period. Why in the world are 24 balls needed to play a game? If it's really bad weather and they are soaked by the end of the game, too bad! Suck it up and play - that's what they did in the good old days!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jan '15

Breaking news: video confirmation of the ball tampering.
http://dailysnark.com/11144/

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

I honestly don't care who has the title "America's Team" ... that's all media hype anyway. The Packers and Steelers can claim that 'title' also.

I remember 'Raider Nation' from the 70s ... was so glad when the Steelers beat them. The Dolphins also have a loyal national following, goes back to the early Shula teams.

As long as the games are on a level playing field, same rules apply to both teams.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Sorry Andy "Ochoa" , the name America's Team is based on the number of fans the team has nationwide and Roger Staubach nicknamed Captain America . The team hated that monicker to begin with , but eventually grew used to it . As far as the Deflate-Triots go , the latest scandal might just keep Belicheat and Shady Brady out of the pro football HOF . After all it's just all a media hype vote anyway . Just ask Albert Belle and Mike Piazza .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Team

Zombo Zombo
Jan '15

I doubt it will keep Belichick and Brady out of the Hall of Fame,

but it is embarrassing as hell.

It's made everyone forget about Mike Tomlin standing on the field while play was in progress. People have short memories.

And, sadly, it will diminish the sport in the eyes of many people who think you and I are idiots for even caring about what happens.

Right now the NFL is intent on stonewalling any real "investigation" until AFTER the SB has been played, because all those sponsors who paid millions of $$$$$$$$$$$
want the stars in the game.

Talk to me when Dallas wins an SB in this millennium, the Ravens have won two.

LOVED Staubach when he was at Navy ... the Middies were number two in the country .... we will never see that again at a service academy in our lifetimes.

But, the only guy wearing number 12 to score a touchdown in a SB game was none other than Jacoby Jones.

Been listening to Troy Aikman on "Mike's On." He's been making lots of great points about this whole mess, and the league in general. He's a good listen.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I wonder if that game (Pats vs Colts) will go down in the history books with an "asterisk" next to it, as well as this superbowl.... like McMquire and Sosa's names will.....

Jan '15

Agree to everything you said there Andy , but the bigger deal to me than the Colts game is the Ravens game that the Ravens barely lost where the Deflate-Triots may have cheated also . Except not so sure about Belicheat and Shady Brady making the HOF - at least in their lifetimes . This week will be a media firestorm for Belicheat and Shady . Consider the SBs they have won were only by 3 points - so if they were cheating then that becomes a big deal no ? Media perception is everything in HOF selection . They probably will get in , but maybe only after death like the great Bullet Bob Hayes !

After all it is up to the sports media , not records . Maybe someone can explain why Denver LB Randy Gradishar is not in the HOF with 7 pro bowls / 5X all pro and 1978 defensive player of the year - saw him play and the dude was a ball hawking monster who seemed to know where the play was going . Or Dallas safety Cliff Harris 6 pro bowls 4X all pro and 1970s all decade team ? I don't think the NE cheaters can count on anything HOF related . At least while they're still alive !

Zombo Zombo
Jan '15

The Pats vs Colts game will go down in history as no worse than a 28-7 beatdown of the Colts. The balls were properly inflated in the second half. The Colts got their butts handed to them in the regular season by the Pats, Steelers, and Cowboys and then got housed in the AFC conf game.

Zombo - Don't forget the biggest omission of all (IMO)...Charles Haley!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

The Colts weren't even close to being the second best team in the AFC. They were just fortunate enough to play a Bungles team who can never win a playoff game and a Broncos team who have been on a steady decline for the last six weeks of the season. If they had to play the Ravens or Steelers, they never would have made it as far as they did. They have a terrible defense and no running game with a mediocre WR corps. If not for Luck (and the crappy division they were in), they probably don't make the playoffs at all.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

L.C. Greenwood is another glaring omission from the NFLHOF. By all accounts, he should be recognized as the all-time Super Bowl sack leader, both for an individual game (4 versus the Cowboys in SB X) and career (5). Officially, because the NFL refuses to credit sacks prior to 1982, the "official" records are set at 3 and 4.5, respectively. Personally, I think he's more deserving of an HOF spot than Lynn Swann, but he was probably penalized due to the sheer number of players from the '70s Steelers who are enshrined.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Tom Brady, arguably, may go down as the greatest QB of all time ... trust me, he'll get in, same as ol' spit-ballin' Gaylord Perry got in, in baseball, with a wink, wink..

But, I'd love to see the Brady Bunch get a whoopin laid on them by those Seahawks.

Loved the editorial cartoon in the Ledger today, Belichick with a very Nixonian look on his face, with deflated balls laying at his feet, saying ... "I am not a crook."

The NFL may fine the Pats real hard, take away draft picks, stuff like that.

Remember when Roberto Alomar spit at that umpire in 96 in late September during a pennant drive ... not exactly one of the Orioles' greatest moments -- they allowed him to play in the playoffs and then suspended him for the first portion of the next regular season.

Boy, did Roberto hear the vitriol on the road that October --- almost as bad as what he heard a few years later at Shea, playing for the Mets.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

The Colts were a product of 'the LUCK of the draw,' reaching the AFC final this year.

Chances are, the Pats were up to some nefarious hanky panky against the Ravens in that playoff game, too.

From accounts I've heard and read, some of the Ravens people warned the Indy team to watch out for deflated footballs.

A lot of quarterbacks have been doing interviews this week, and many of them say a pound or two difference in air pressure is negligible, but if that's the case, why did the Patriots take the time and effort to deflate them?

Expecting to get away with it and just get a slap on the wrist if they do get caught, shows a lot of arrogance on their part.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

The patriots Explanation for why the balls were underinflated is funny why didn't it affect the Colts balls or the kicking balls no just Brady's

oldred
Jan '15

belicheck looked like homeless guy at the news conference,

man oh man, he makes it easy to dislike him, so arrogant, egotistical, and argumentative, what a bad example he sets for the league,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

BD-I thought the same thing. Lol

Jan '15

The Patriots gave us a snow job ... that's why New England got all the snow LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

And DiBlasio talked sh*t about the blizzard, so it turned its back on him...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Brady has a cold. Boo hoo!!!!

Jan '15

When you're Tom Brady, every sniffle leads the world news.

When it comes to star power, he's right up there with people like Lady Gaga, Michael Jordan, Russ Long ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

and Pee Wee Herman

Jan '15

When someone posts the secret word, everybody scream REAL LOUD.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I'm so disgusted with the NFL and am so uninterested in this game that I don't even have any money in block pools this year, lol. Honestly, I'm more looking forward to the return of The Blacklist after the game than the game itself.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

I'm in the same boat ian. I just have no rooting interest this year. Felt the same way when Dallas lost the divisional round in 2007. I'm more interested in seeing how some new hot wing recipes that I'm trying out this year will turn out.

On another note, here's an interesting study (seriously, who pays for these things?)
http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Study-Reveals-Most-Active-Most-Profane-Playoff-Fans-On-Facebook-35185539

----
Dallas Cowboys fans were the most active NFL fans on Facebook during the NFL playoffs, while nobody swore more than Pittsburgh Steelers fans, according to a study released this week.

Proofpoint Nexgate kept an eye on fanbases on Facebook during the first three weeks of January and found that Cowboys fans made more comments by far than any other fan base. Their top five:

1. Dallas Cowboys: 247,057
2. Green Bay Packers: 157,200
3. New England Patriots: 134,100
4. Baltimore Ravens: 86,200
5. Pittsburgh Steelers: 81,606

They also monitored profanities among fans. The winners? Pittsburgh Steelers fans:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers: 6.15% profane content percentage
2. Baltimore Ravens: 1.62%
3. New England Patriots: 1.13%
4. Detroit Lions: 1.00%
5. Cincinnati Bengals: 0.79%

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '15

We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one!

LOL... it's good to be the best at something (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Well me and the wifey made it out to Arizona yesterday,ran into some Seahawks fans on the plane and of course was reminded about deflate gate,to bring a pump to the game etc...Went to a Patriot team party last night met a handful of players even got a pic with Bob Kraft,what a young girlfriend he has ....Lolll. I'll post more gossip/info in the coming days.

Huh.....the Eagles didn't make the top five for profanity? Imagine that! Maybe Eagles fans are not as bad as they tend to be portrayed.......

I have 11.5 boxes in 4 different pools. Hopefully, I will at least get my money back.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Either that or they can't read and write... that would kind of be an impediment to posting online, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

I would think there were more EMS needed in the Philly stands.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

Profanity is one thing, violence is something else.

Actually, I've known a lot of very nice Eagles fans over the past 45 years ... it's always the bad apples who get all the attention.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

BTW, Calico, if you read the parameters of the study closely, you will see that they were only monitoring "fans of playoff teams". Eagles fans may still be the most profane overall, but they didn't make the playoffs so they weren't considered.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

What time does the game start on Sunday?

Jan '15

Really emaxx the team that continually cheats and calls itself America's Team doesn't make you root for the Seasquawks to crush them Sunday ? How about the great Cheese Lord Bob Kraft deplaning in Arizona and then demanding an apology from the NFL - such chutzpah ! The biggest bunch of bull is that these are the two truly best teams playing each other when they were both outplayed in the playoffs , but got lucky by the mistakes of other teams .

The Ravens outplayed the Patriots and Flacco went for the TD when it was one yard to go for a first down , then slipped and under threw an int . Cowboys outplayed the Pack , but did themselves in with mistakes and then the Pack outplayed Seattle only to have an unknown tight end have a brain fart and have the ball thunk off his helmet on an onside kick . No not the two best teams IMO .

ianimal - I hear what you are saying about L.C. Greenwood . I feel the same way about Too Tall Jones who basically shut down the run on his side and would have over 100 sacks if the record idiocy didn't exist . Run stopping DEs or DTs get no respect in the pro football HOF . By the same token LBs who lead the leagues in tackles don't get considered either - because their D-Line supposedly stunk . It's a Catch 22 for these players re; HOF induction . Who really got screwed though was HOFer Deacon Jones who had two sack totals higher than that gap-tooth Strahan , who got his phony baloney sack record by Brett Favre laying down for him !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Jones

Zombo Zombo
Jan '15

6:30ish

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Linebackers often make a lot of tackles because the defensive end was doing his job, turning those running plays inside.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

The secondary was the Ravens' weakness ... Brady was not the only QB who had a big game against them this year -- Big Ben absolutely torched them in the second of their three Steelers games, and I was in the stadium to see Philip Rivers lead San Diego to a comeback win 34-33. A bad pass interference call set up the winning Chargers TD -- an awful call --- guess if the game wasn't on TV in New York you guys probably didn't see it.

I think Seattle's really good secondary will enable the Seahawks to get enough "coverage sacks" to shake Brady up a lot. The Seattle physicality will wear the Patriots down as the game goes on -- Seattle wins it 24-17.

I think Seattle has already beaten a better team than the Patriots, when they beat Green Bay. People are saying Seattle looked bad against Green Bay, well the Pats would have looked bad against Green Bay, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Zombo, totally agree about Too Tall deserving to be in the HOF. To be honest, if you asked me, I would have said that he WAS in the Hall. I think he may have been penalized somewhat for the arguably bizarre decision to take up boxing in the prime of his NFL career.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Too Tall should be in -- remember him well.

He played 15 seasons, and after he interrupted his career (not the only one to ever do that) he came back and was a Pro Bowl player again.

He was a force, a mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter (that's from an old song called Alley Oop). -- "Other cats don't bug him 'cause they know better, ...
...'cause he's a mean motor scooter and a bad go-getter ..."

I could not believe Jimmy Brown calling it a career so early to act in movies, but he still was a no-doubt-about-it Hall of Famer.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Brendan is ready for the Super Bowl.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

@zombo - Yeah, I certainly don't want the Pats to win but I can't bring myself to cheer for the loudmouthed Seahawks and their legion of bandwagon fans. This is just one of those years.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '15

Cheaters everywhere!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2349940-falcons-crowd-noise-investigation-latest-details-possible-penalties-and-more

"The Atlanta Falcons are reportedly under investigation for creating artificial crowd noise during home games, an offense that could result in the loss of a draft pick should the NFL find them guilty. "

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '15

Forgot to mention, at least one HOF crime has been corrected. Haley is in the HOF. It's about time!

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '15

Tim Brown got in, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

That WR backlog may never get cleared. This one's for you Andy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '15

I never saw two highs and lows for EACH team in the last minute before. The Sea Hawks got there by luck and it almost worked again for them. Amazing.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

We almost had Miracle In The Desert II --- that catch was unbelievable, but y'all heard Collinsworth on that final interception play --- how do you not give the ball to Lynch?

Gotta give the Patriots credit for an amazing comeback.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

One play I'm giddy laughing at that crazy catch. Seconds later I'm in shock at the complete stupidity of the play. The worst ending to a Super Bowl ever. Ending on a play that anybody could have called. RUN LYNCH even if it takes 3 plays.
PATHETIC

I don't need an announcer to tell me it was the worst call EVER

Like you said, it was a PATHETIC play call. Good choice of words there.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I hate the Patriots! At least my husband won $600 in pools. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Well, good for him.

A few eerie similarities to the playoff game with the Ravens, coming back from two scores down and winning on an interception of a ball that should not have been thrown.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

As for the play call, that's the nature of coaching. If the slant had worked and Seattle had scored a TD, it would have been a brilliant contrarian play call. The Patriots were expecting Lynch or Wilson to run the football, so it was the perfect play call. It didn't work, so it was a terrible play call. If Seattle had been stopped three times running the ball near the goal line we'd be talking about why the Seahawks didn't try something different.

With that being said, even if the Patriots knew that the Seahawks were going to run Lynch I doubt they would have stopped him at the goal line.

4D's
Feb '15

The dumb call by the Seasqawks at the goal line typified the whole playoff season and the stupid mistakes made by teams that lost that should've won . Congrats crooked commissioner Roger Greedell you now have a flip a coin playoff system with an awful officiating system even with instant replay . No I'm not talking about the big game , just the very bad or missed calls in the games leading up to it .

http://deadspin.com/44-lies-roger-goodell-told-in-his-press-conference-toda-1682838339

Zombo Zombo
Feb '15

How does Brady rate MVP and free truck. I'd give it to Wilson before Brady. Brady better give it up to the rookie that saved his interception-throwing keister. That kid deserves it and probably could use it.

Feb '15

Two great teams with different strengths and weaknesses. I did finally pick the Super Bowl winner for the first time for 3 decades! Coaches are always trying to outsmart the other coaches. Seattle was counting on NE putting a lot of men on the line for an obvious Marshawn blast, but then they pass right over the middle! A ballsy play that failed; but if it worked everyone would be praying them for the call...

+1000 Mistergoogle

Feb '15

Well, Wilson didn't win the game so no, he doesn't deserve it more than Brady. Wilson had 12 completions the entire game. Hardly an MVP performance.

Even with the INT's, Brady had a pretty good game. 4 TDs against the best defense is no small achievement. The Pats had 60 yards rushing so this game was won on Brady's arm. You have to give him credit for it.

The kid made a great play but it was only one play (and fluke or not, he gave up a massive play prior to it.) With that said, if I were Brady, I would give him the truck. It's not like Brady would drive it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '15

Without Brady, the Patriots would probably have lost 24-3.

He threw them back into the game, a comeback for the ages.

We don't have to like him, but give the devil his due.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Julian Edelman would be the only other possible MVP.
Saying Wilson deserved it had to be sarcasm because the only other reason I won't state because it would be insulting to the poster.

Even if the pass resulted in a TD I would never call it gutsy or brilliant. It was a dumb play call. If Lynch crashes the line and scores the TD then Lynch is MVP no question. But and If

Overall a thrilling game. I accidentally watched one commercial. Those things are typically a complete insult, to me anyway. Are we really that dumb that these ads are entertaining?

I am listing to all the Monday morning QB's. Blame the coach's call, NO. I have seen that play work with a guy wide open many times. Blame Wilson for not throwing it away if the way is not clear. Carroll is covering up for him. Good Coach.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

+100 Old Gent

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Feb '15

Wow what a game,the final play/interception was right down by where I was sitting,along with the fight ! Lolll...and the post game party was even better.got to see the mvp in person only a few feet away.

Best part of the game was the brawl.

Feb '15

Green Bay won the Ice Bowl in 67 with a push up the middle.

Where's Sam "Bam" Cunningham when you need him? Used to love those dive over the pile plays.

Leave it to me to bring up a guy who played 40 years ago.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Here's how you do it from the one-yard line ....

http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=4&tag=Sam%20Cunningham&limit=20

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Yeah it was tongue n cheek re Wilson but certainly Brady didn't deserve it.

And even if he did, he still better give the truck to the kid.

Feb '15

Read this article to the end. The coach knows his team better the fans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/02/02/the-play-call-that-costs-seahawks-super-bowl-victory-wasnt-a-bad-one/

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

Good article Old Gent. If the play works it is brilliant play call, as it was not expected. If the Seahawks were stopped running the ball we'd be talking about why they didn't pass.

Belichek and D coordinator Matt Patricia deserve a heck of a lot of credit for preparing there d-backs to defend this specific play. This route is very difficult to defend in a small amount of space. ESPN broke down the play and showed how the other d-back on the side jammed the WR who was supposed to pick Butler by running both d-backs into each other. This freed up Butler to break on the ball immediately.

4D's
Feb '15

Old school football thinking ... when you throw the ball, three things could happen ...

and two of them are bad.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Football as it is today depends on the passing game today. Running game is only to eat up the clock.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

The passing game has certainly evolved today, but still has its risks.

I'm a Ravens fan and I love watching Joe Flacco chuck it.

Everybody really has a tendency to overthink things today.

Did Seattle get the ball back after that throw got picked? No, they did not.

From the one, with under a minute to go, and you've got BEAST MODE ... run the ball. It's an elemental manhood thing. If you can't get a stinkin yard with the game on the line, you don't deserve the championship.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

I'm pretty consistent with that thinking, too.

I remember a game when Brian Billick was coaching the Ravens .... down by three points with the ball on the one, time for just a couple of more plays.

He went for the field goal to tie it. Fortunately, they won in OT, but had they lost, I would have been second-guessing like crazy. You've got your chance to win the game, pound it in. That's what Lombardi did in the exact same situation in that 67 Ice Bowl game. He didn't want any overtime.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

If you heard The coach's plan. That was a throw away call.to take time off the clock. Wilson made a decision to pass and didn't throw it away period. The Sea Hawks found themselves in a similar position (down by six points or less, 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter, second down and goal to go) just twice before in the past two years. They ran it both times but didn’t score a touchdown on either play. Why is it going to work better going against a super bowl team. You take your chances, and win or loose.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

This kid would have made a great offensive coordinator... damn those household accidents.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

That was a throw-away play alright, threw the game away.

The only kind of pass I'd even consider in that situation, is the play-action pass.

Couldn't believe it when they lined up in shotgun ... like ... what are they doing?

Who ever throws a slant pass to kill the clock? Boom, boom, it's either complete, incomplete, or intercepted in about two seconds. It would have taken more time for Wilson to roll out, stretch the play a bit, and either throw it to someone WIDE OPEN, cut in and score himself, or throw it to the blonde in the third row if the defense covered everything.

And then you still have another play.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.