Thousands of Snow Geese invaded Broadway NJ

Thousands of Snow Geese invaded Broadway NJ

I was driving east on route 57 near Broadway NJ. looking towards the corn field at my left. There was thousands of Snow Geese looking to land for the night. They had a problem the farmer was out there plowing up the field

We saw them today too at the Home Goods!

Kmc138 Kmc138
Dec '14

Wonderful!! great picture

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '14

Gorgeous photo!

Stuff
Dec '14

wow - hoping to head out that way today

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

I went to Merrill Creek this weekend, usually there are thousands of snow geese on the water this time of year but I didn't see one....

strange.

I love seeing them.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Dec '14

Went to Oberly rd in Alpha on weekend and no birds other than crows. Maybe because no snow? Saw 3 red tail sitting on Rockport pheasant farm pens and a large number of house finch scratching there in the dirt . Slow birding here.

A good day
Dec '14

OP.. I was at Merrill creek the last two previous weekends. There were plenty flying over late afternoon but a birder there said they were heading a bit farther south. They should pass back through in Feb/March on the way back north and stop over there on the way. I can't confirm it but it did make sense. There was however lots on the farm field off RT 57 in Stewartsville. Makes me wonder if that is some sign on how our winter will turn out here...

Grascal
Dec '14

Was on Asbury Anderson Road today and saw a field full of Snow Geese and Canada Geese. Always a beautiful sight!

kayaking kayaking
Dec '14

Re: Thousands of Snow Geese invaded Broadway NJ

They were in the valley along route 57 in Franklin Twp.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

Here's another

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

That was amazing.. there were literally thousands there... what a sight.

Grascal
Jan '15

and by thousands... I must say at least...

Grascal
Jan '15

At Merrill Creek Reservoir last February ....

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Jan '15

We must have been there at the same time, Grascal.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

Yes we must have...it was amazing was it not? wow... and deafening when they all lifted off...and the way they dropped into the evening light.... wow...

Grascal
Jan '15

The retention basin at the Pohatcong Walmart was absolutely mobbed with largish white birds the other day. I had assumed they were seagulls (not sure why) and I was too busy paying attention to the road to get a real close look, but they were probably snow geese as well.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Lovely, Grascal!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

Grascal. I think I know how hard it is to get a picture like that. Well done.

just coach just coach
Jan '15

Great pictures. It is amazing to see them in flight. I would think the farmers don't care much for these visitors though.

Maja, free fertilizer! ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

One more

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

Thank you... and kudos to you 3wbdwnj nice views. I believe this is a juvenile blue morph snow goose...

Grascal
Jan '15

Cool! I've never seen one of those! Was he trying to go incognito among the snow geese? ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

LOL.. if you looked around there were a few odd ones.. thought this was a Ross's goose but seems to be an adult blue morph

Grascal
Jan '15

There are thousands at Merrill Creek Reservoir

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

Beautiful! I have to get back out there....

positive positive
Jan '16

Heading there now, 5cat. Hope they're still there!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

They are thinking: BROADWAY, if we can make it here...................

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jan '16

Yes Clyde Potts, They are thinking that. Thanks for the laugh.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Jan '16

Talk about birds of a feather sticking together ...

By the way ...

The Drifters sang a good song about Broadway, so did the Bee Gees.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '16

I checked out Broadway this morning. WOW... Unlike anything I have seen before. They literally filled a 100 acre farm field corner to corner!

Looking forward to today's reports

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

They were definitely there, but not very active. They took off once and the sound of their thundering wings was incredible. This is a view from the Main Dam (second dam coming from the boat launch area) with a 6 stitch pano.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

Most of the snow geese here right now are wintering which means they exhibit a unique behavior pattern. The bulk of the birds leave the reservoir in one large group shortly before sunrise. They usually land and feed together but as the day progresses the size of the groups diminish as they spread out. They use Merrill Creek to regroup and get warm between fields. The birds arriving from the south rest on the reservoir during the day. Almost all of the geese return to the reservoir at sunset, unless it is a full moon or very warm, in which case they will stay in the fields and fly in the dark. As we move towards February the mass migration begins. At peak NJA (New Jersey Audubon) reported as many as 175,000 birds on the water (in 2013). Currently I’d estimate about 30,000 from last night's count. The numbers are definitely going up week by week. Migration will happen early this year, most likely mid February, unless we get alot of snow.

Thanks for the information on their behavior, OP. That probably explains why you saw them in the valley at about the same time we saw them on the reservoir. Very interesting.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

They're baaaack!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '17

Nice. Didn't see any last weekend at Merrill creek. Need to go back and hopefully they will be there.
Thanks for the picture.

A good day
Jan '17

Has anyone seen snow geese on Merrill creek reservoir? Hoping to hear yes!

A good day
Jan '17

There were plenty headed towards Merrill Creek this eve...and all over Broadway...

Grascal
Jan '17

If anyone's interested, they are currently (10:30am, Tuesday, Jan 17) in the field on Route 31 across the street from Silver Star Deli!

FYI, just spotted them on 31 at S Lincoln Avenue (across from Shoprite). They are really beautiful!

Honestyseasy Honestyseasy
Jan '17

Has anyone seen snow geese at Merrill creek reservoir during the day?

A good day
Feb '17

The geese have been there albeit a smaller group than last year. I checked this morning, about 5000 cleared the reservior by 8am and flew over Broadway towards Spruce Run. The geese haven't favored Good Springs fields this year. I think the farmer has been over hunting.

Wednesday 2/1, "thousands" were along Anderson Road at intersection of Butler Park road !! Astounding sight,sheer numbers >

Geedo Geedo
Feb '17

OP, they were on Good Springs Road for about a week, early on in their visit here.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '17

I saw them last week, on Rt57 and a few weeks before I think they are beautiful and pulled over to watch how they all flock together.
Watching which one is the leader to follow but couldn't tell. But enjoyed watching them

has anyone seen the snow geese yet in our area?

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

Yes they have been out everyday by Franklin school on asbury broadway I see them usally everyday in those fields around 230-3 pm!

Lovely271 Lovely271
Jan '18

what about Merrill Creek Reservoir? We're thinking of heading there - last year we saw and heard thousands.........

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

I saw them on Anderson Rd in the fields after the solar panels, on Tuesday. Yesterday, saw them on Rt 57 in Broadway, all in flight. Beautiful to see with the blue sky as a backdrop.

justwondering justwondering
Jan '18

I was attacked by a Goose when I was a kid. Gooses suck. :-)

Sully Sully
Jan '18

They’re here. Merrill creek. Many thousand

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

Snow geese here at merril creek!

Mike85 Mike85
Jan '18

Do people hunt geese?

Grascal, amazing and beautiful pictures!
Would you mind sharing what type/model camera that you used, especially for your solitary shots?

AJ Moore AJ Moore
Jan '18

Amazing sighting today at the lake in the back roads going from Andover heading to Rt 206.

happiest girl
Jan '20

hg,

I saw that yesterday too! I took the same pic lol

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '20

They have been flying SW, very high, and then back NW the next day ir so. Thousands. As high as a goose flies, so they must be covering some distance to go that high and then down again. For about a week or two.

After the first sighting, was trying to figure out: does that mean more or less winter, but then they came back and then repeated the process a few days later so I just figured that they are staying in a couple places for awhile.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '20

Big flock was landing near Godlewski's about a week ago....thousands of birds...was incredible to watch.

Walleyed Walleyed
Jan '20

When they flyover, the entire sky is filled. Hard to do accurate count, but seems like 000's. They are so high that you can barely see or hear them. Very shiny in the sun. Must take forever to reach that altitude. That's why I say they must be going a bit of a distance even if you just figure the angle up and then the glide path down. We need an engineer to compute that at 8,000 feet --- a higher altitude for them.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '20

Remember to wear sunglasses and keep yer mouth closed. All those geese some has to crap !!

Last Tuesday afternoon they were on the pond on the North side of Anderson-Asbury Road, not far after leaving Rt. 31. A pretty glorious sight!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '20

we always look forward to seeing them this time of year.

Corn fields on Rt. 519 from Belvidere to Harmony. I've seen the flocks land right next to the road!

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Jan '20

Thousands - Cobble HIll Road off Johnsonburg Road

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

Correction - Greendell Road off Johnsonburg Rd

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '20

Grain farmers love the snows, they don't want the old corn to sprout next season. Sod farmers hate them. The bill on a snow goose looks like a cross-cut saw and frozen ground or not, they tear up an inch or two of top soil to get the roots.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Feb '20

Any sign of the snow geese at Merril Creek this year. Would love to see them again if they are there.

I was told that all the snow keeps them away. They will be further south, where there is no snow. Not sure if that is true or not though.

whocares whocares
Feb '21

I saw them in early December and I think they stayed thru the New Year, then haven’t seen them since. The snow cover theory makes sense

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '21

Thank you both for your replies.... makes sense for sure.

I’m in Delaware and have seen tons of snow geese here. The area I’m in has no snow.

There are thousands of snow geese at Merrill Creek Reservoir. We were there today. We couldn't get close but we could see and hear them.

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '21

They have been hard to track this year due to the over hunting. They won't go near Good Springs Rd or Oberly anymore.

Got out yesterday to see the snow geese and it was spectacular.

Snow covered fields and frozen water forced them south of this area. As their feeding areas clear of snow they’ll return.

Indie Indie
Mar '21

Snow Geese are back at Merrill Creek.

Snow geese back yesterday! Good Springs Rd. Broadway- bring your camera (and umbrella, lol)....

People do hunt them, There are so many of them that they have destroyed their summer nesting grounds. There is a conservation season for them with an unlimited bag limit to help control the population. The season and bag limits are based on scientific data. Don't worry there will still be plenty of them even after the season closes.

Has anyone been out to Merril Creek recently? Just wondering if the snow geese are back!

They are back. Saw them along the Franklin/Stewartsville border recently.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '23

A week or so ago I had what had to have been several thousand of snow geese in my back yard.

Josh, do you live near Merril Creek? That must have been amazing to see them in your yard. Hoping to get out for a hike at the weekend so I hope they are there.

Just returned from Merril Creek. Although there were a few (maybe 200) snow geese on the lake….not the spectacular sight I was hoping for. Maybe next time!

I checked them out yesterday as well. They were on Still Valley Rd, visible from 173 in Alpha- maybe a few thousand. They usually go to Oberly Rd area but it looks like farmer Joe invited every hunting club in NNJ so I wouldn't expect to see them in that area anymore- just like Good Springs Rd.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.