National Do Not Call List

News said there's a loophole. It only applies to interstate companies. You can still get calls from in-state companies. That explains why I still get 4-5 calls a day.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

try this: http://www.nomorobo.com/

your phone will ring once and then the call goes away - poof - works great

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

There are various state laws that cover callers from NJ. The 4-5 calls come from telemarketers that just plain ignore the law or from companies outside the country where there is no jurisdiction.

Just saying what the story was on the news.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

as I've said before - I've reported them when I used to get the calls/texts to donotcall.gov

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

5cat - I signed up for that the last time you posted it and we are still getting calls.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

maybe they're not those computer robocalls............are they live people?? if so report 'em with their number etc.............

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

They are half and half. Half robot and half live. Most of the live ones seem to be looking for money for either firefighters, police or breast cancer. I got a robot call two days in a row last week, on my voice mail, about getting free pain relieving cream. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I believe charities are allowed to call....................

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

having worked in a call center for longer than i would like to say, id hafta chime in and say that the DNC lists are insidious and with a global economy, there will always be new solicitors or a "new" company (ie-one that constantly rebrands themselves) to bother you during dinner. best advice is to never call the company back, for that gives them the green light to call you back...and they will. a definate nuisance.

kang
Dec '14

Do Not Call List is one of the most useless wastes of taxpayer money ever . I.E. Congress passes a law and lobbyists find a way around it . Best thing is caller ID and never answer an 800 number . Or just go off the grid . Not willing to do either ? Just say hello once then hang up with no answer forthcoming after the first hello . Most of these nuisance calls are generated from a robotic dialing machine and no second response will be responded to with silence .

Businesses will sell your phone number to anyone these days . Buy a new computer and some scammer number from San Antonio will call you to tell you your new machine is infected with viruses . Over the past year my caller ID said - just to name a few I've gotten calls from Michigan , Washington DC , Kentucky , N. Carolina , Tennessee , and Jamaica - yes Jamaica ! Not a single one left a message . But the kicker came last week when my very own phone number showed up on caller ID and I happened to be home to answer . I usually don't , but how could I not when it looked like I was calling myself from another reality ? It was just another scam asking if I wanted to lower my rate on my Vissa card - yes Vissa not Visa and I immediately hung up . Sure would like to know how my own number came up , but I think my land line is toast next year and all calls will go to Tracfone (over 7K minutes saved up) voice mail . Which I will give the number to less than a dozen people . Or maybe I will try magicJack with a different number .

Zombo Zombo
Dec '14

I'm ready to cancel my phone lines. The telemarketers won't stop calling both my cell and home, and I think my fax line as well (rings but no fax comes through). Help! Is there *nothing* a person can do? The DNC list is indeed completely useless. I block each number of the telemarketers when they come in, but the next day they simply call from a different number!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Emily gets me every time

JWolfe75 JWolfe75
May '17

For comcast/xfinity customers, you can go to you account online and block up to 25 callers. I've been doing it for a few months now, adding each number as they call, and it's working great! There are a few numbers that, for some reason, comcast says "you cannot block this caller", or if it is "anonymous" or if it has a spoofer on it (showing some randome 12-digit number instead of a 9 digit phone number), you can't block those. But my phone went from ringing 4-5 times a day - EVERY day- from the same callers, to ringing once a day.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '17

We just ended up shutting off our home line and using mobile only. We weren't using it anyway and it saves us $. Also when I need to add a mandatory phone number to some new account and I really don't want them to call me, I still just put the old disconnected number.

Now if there's a disaster that knocks out all the cell towers, we are in trouble. Otherwise, this is working for us.

hktownie hktownie
May '17

I went to the DNC number and entered my number in AGAIN.
it took a few weeks, but the number of telemarketers calling have dropped considerably
now only get a couple a week instead of tons daily.

wbeleno wbeleno
May '17

hk,

They will catch up with you too (mobile numbers)... I get spam calls on my mobile all the time...

May '17

@KWolfe - yes! Emily is calling me twice a day. SO annoying.

I've blocked 25 numbers with Xfinity, JR. They just keep changing numbers, though.

Will try to put our numbers in the DNC database... again. Just so frustrating. All telemarketing calls should be banned.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

We were just talking about this at work - it seems the calls have really increased the last two weeks or so. Everyone's phones ring all day! Anyone have any ideas on why it seems to be getting worse?

dadogmomma dadogmomma
May '17

Indeed it has gotten much worse recently, dogmomma. Maybe they have new robocall technology.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Maybe as more and more people ditch their landlines, there are just less of us left to harass (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Rebecka,

what I have found is, if you got to the "call blocking" page... where you can manually (type in) the numbers, what it does is, add the new number to the list, and bump the first number off. If you try to block calls from the "call history" page, it just tells you "you're at your limit of 25".

Navigating their site is a royal PITA!

May '17

Verizon landline service used to have a page where you could add numbers. It's gone. I called customer service and they said I had to call them to request a number to be blocked. F*CKERS!

I'm supposed to spend time navigating a phone menu to request each number? Ridiculous!

I don't even answer my home number anymore. If you're relevant to me, you have my cell. If I get an unknown call on my cell, it goes to voicemail first. Anyone important will leave a message.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '17

Nomorobo. For landline...set it up to send away robocalls and no number shown calls......true caller to check unknowns in cell phone...and easy to block on my cell

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

What really ticked me off is that I kept getting calls from "The State of NJ Health Dept.". I kept telling them that I didn't wish to complete their survey, that I was on the National "DNC" list and that I wanted them to put me on their list and NOT call me again.

I kept getting various answers back to my statement, some saying "OK" and others saying that I wasn't on their list. The final straw was when one of these pesky people told me that the State didn't have to abide by the Federal Law and that they would continue to call me. The only way to get them to stop would be to answer the Health Survey. I said "Good luck with that, because it will never happen, so don't waste your time. Goodbye!", then hung up on them. I haven't heard from them lately, but then it seems like they give it a rest for a few months, then are back hard at it.

Another one never leaves a message, but is a robocall that tells me that for answering I can have a room cleaned for FREE! How about I take a flamethrower to your computer calling station, eh? That ought to cause a bit of a meltdown - go clean THAT room up!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '17

Between my cell phone and my house phone I'm getting so many of these calls each day and I am sick of them! They are calling my husband, son and daughter's cell phone too! It's ridiculous! I'm sick of it. Most of them are from out of state. I've gotten to the point where I don't even pick up anymore.

Lifer
May '17

If you don't recognize the #, don't answer it. Download the app Hiya & once you get a call you don't recognize, use Hiya to let you know of it's a scammer. You can use it to block calls on your cell. Got rid of a landline years ago.

I "won" a trip to Florida from the "Welcome Center." Yeah, sure you are with that 973 area code. So I played the game as an excited old lady, and kept this sucker on the phone for over 45 minutes. It was great, them telling an old lady that she's going to "love swimming with the dolphins" and that I was so lucky that he even "upgraded" me to a better room on my cruise! "Oh honey, that sounds wonderful. Thank you". ..."Rosie all I need from you now is a major credit or debit card to secure your Florida vacation! It's only $1,877 today!" "Oh thats lovely dear...is Discover okay?" (I was the sr sales manager for a call center years ago and a Disover card was a guaranteed sale for an agent.) "Why yes Rosie go ahead..." "Ok dear it's 601...(switched to a male voice) you're serious now right? Scamming old ladies?!" "Sir I told her the terms..." "Um, dude (back to old lady voice) I AM Rosie. (Back to me) You wouldn't last one second on my floor and stop scamming the public you piece of crap. Try working for a reputable company, and work on your pitch for crying out loud." "Yeah I uhh..." Click

Stopthescam
May '17

I "won" another free resort stay this morning. I'm now reporting every call at https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

Maybe if we all report the calls...?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Now they use local numbers so you feel more comfortable picking up.

Alan Muchy Alan Muchy
May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.