Store Overcharging Patrons

For any patrons of Wine Country on rte 517 (just past M&M's), just a note to be aware that they overcharge at the register compared to the prices displayed in front of the items in the beer cooler. It has happened to me more than once, and I've had to point it out to them each time. I don't know if it happens with all the beers they sell, but I've definitely noticed that some items ring up at least $0.50 to $1 more at the register than what they are marked out on the floor.

Overcharged Overcharged
Dec '14

Do you have a WC club card? Are the prices in red labels? I have not had any problems there, and I go more than I'd like to admit.

atthedrivein atthedrivein
Dec '14

Its called Tax

Brad2
Dec '14

Are you kidding, this is New Jersey, taxes are more than that!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Dec '14

I'm sorry that has happened to you, did the prices say regular price, sale price, or club price? Club prices only ring up as such if you are in our system. Craft beer is all club priced

Winecountry Winecountry
Dec '14

Please start labeling the prices for all your beers, Wine Country. 75% of the six-packs in the cooler are missing prices.

Fuji
Dec '14

I was just there and bought beer for my husband. One of the beers I did buy (it was just a single bottle) expired in June of 2012!!!!! I haven't checked pricing issues, but that one definitely shocked me with the expiration date.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Dec '14

Can i ask what beer it was, i need to check on that as all expired beer is pulled and sent back to the distributors. Occasionally one will be skipped. If possible bring the single back so i can give you credit

Winecountry Winecountry
Dec '14

Will work on tagging the cooler tomorrow when i get in

Winecountry Winecountry
Dec '14

I'd have to ask my husband exactly what it was called. We decided not to return it (our choice) because we really didn't believe it could be that old and possibly a misprint, however when my husband went to try it (cant turn down a beer!) it was definitely expired. All I know was that it was a refrigerated one all the way to the right, looked like the last one, and it said Elderberry on it. Things happen and it was a first time for it, but impressive expiration date. If I should ever see one again, I promise to return it (happened about a week ago). Thanks for responding though!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Dec '14

Thank you Winecountry for your prompt responses!

It's nothing to do with tax. The tag in the cooler will say $8.99 for a six-pack (for example), and when you pay at the counter, the receipt says $9.49(before tax). This is just one example. I like the store because it's convenient, but I've raised the pricing issue more than once when I've been there and it hasn't been corrected.

Overcharged Overcharged
Dec '14

Thank you, Wine Country, for the quick responses, and for checking the tags, because I do like the store. Lots of good options in the store, but just frustrated with pricing and don't want to pay more than advertised price.

Overcharged Overcharged
Dec '14

Too bad it's not like the grocery store, where if you call to their attention a difference between the shelf price and the ringup price, they give you one free and allow you to purchase another at the marked price so they can fix the signage.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '14

Supermarkets statistically make a nice percentage on mistakes so any freebies are just a drop in the bucket. In this case the business should do something similar if it can be proved (still have the beverage, still have the receipt, sign still up).

Personally, I give a store 2-3 chances and then don't return. Been going to Bottle King for a few decades and I can't remember a price discrepancy...

I agree with Fuji - the lack of price markings on most of the beer in the coolers and on the floor is an annoyance and is the reason I usually go across town to A+P or Bottle King.

It might also be a good idea to ask customers buying craft beer if they want to join the club when they check out. I got overcharged (or regular-charged) there a couple of times, too.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Dec '14

Its the service Charge for serving you as you check out , I mean if you can get charged 15% on a bill at a earery as a tip for service why not every were lol

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '14

I've never had a problem there .

Walker Walker
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.