FYI - counterfeit $100 bill

I was the unfortunate recipient of a $100 bill last week. When it couldn't be used to pay for a purchase at a store, I took it to my bank to find out why. After verifying that it was indeed counterfeit and handing it over, I did alert the person who gave me the bill. He went to the bank where he withdrew the money from, and apparently has no recourse, even though he withdrew the money from that bank. So, even banks can't be sure if they have counterfeit bills in their tills.

denise denise
Dec '14

Good news: you're not in any legal trouble, so you don't have to worry about that. You didn't counterfeit the money, and unless you try to pass it off to someone else, you aren't doing anything illegal.

Bad news: you're probably out the $100.00. If you try to spend it someplace else, it's possible that they won't notice, but you'd still be deliberately passing off money that you know to be counterfeit, which is a crime. Now, they might not be able to prove that you knew it was counterfeit, but that's not a risk you want to take for 100 bucks.

As a practical matter, you probably could find a store that would take it without noticing. However, as an ethical matter, you'd be knowingly passing the loss onto another innocent party. Probably not something you want to do.

works cited: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/counterfeit-money-lawyers.html

skippy skippy
Dec '14

I doubt that your friend got it from a bank.

I was under the impression that banks have systems in place to remove counterfeit money before it reaches a customer. Can someone in the banking business enlighten us?

The banks have counting machines that they run the bills thru and they catch the fake bills. Every $20 bill and higher is run thru it

Darwin Darwin
Dec '14

I used to work for Wells Fargo and what we did when receiving a shipment in is run all of the money through a machine as well as hand count all of the 20's, 50's, and 100's. By feeling the money, we could generally tell if there would be an issue or uncertainty of its authenticity. When receiving money from clients making deposits, we did not "check" the money with a machine, only checks. The only time we would use a machine is if it was a large quantity of money received or to hand out and it didn't tell you if it was a counterfeit or not. The best we could do is use the marker and really check for irregularities. I did spot counterfeit money twice as well as a counterfeit money order based on texture and certain things were either missing or different than what they were supposed to be. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do. Sorry this happened to you!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Dec '14

skippy

denise mentioned "After verifying that it was indeed counterfeit and handing it over", once a bill is brought to the attention of the bank or the bank receives it when someone makes a deposit and it is noticed, the bill is taken to be turned over to the U.S. Secret Service which was originally established as an arm of the Treasury Dept. to combat counterfeiting of U.S. Currency. I had that issue once when managing an auto parts & service store. You are out the money and once you know it is counterfeit, you can be charged with a felony if you knowingly try to pass it on.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/happens-business-receives-counterfeit-money-22997.html

Actually law enforcement should be notified immediately and they follow the chain of handlers of the money to try and find the source. In the meantime, you should write your initials and the date in the white border area of any suspected counterfeit note, as per that last website and the U.S. Secret Service website:

http://www.secretservice.gov/money_receive.shtml

By the way, Res2 and others that think the bank may not have passed on the money, here's a very real story for you!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/04/td-bank-counterfeit-bills_n_1567745.html

Even though the story is from 2012, it happened in NJ to a gent in Morris Plains. Apparently, somebody didn't feel like getting "stuck" with it at the bank either, or didn't check the money they received as they should have, though it could have been included in a prewrapped bundle and nobody ever broke the wrapper to proof the bundle for amount and authenticity.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '14

Apparrently, it happens. Here's an article about an incident at a New Jersey TD Bank.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/04/td-bank-counterfeit-bills_n_1567745.html#conversation-1567745-159007793

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Please tell us which bank this note came from

eapos eapos
Dec '14

Money that. A teller receives from customers does not go through any type of authentfication, and is often given to the next customer that makes a withdrawal. Yes, many experienced tellers can feel the difference, but if it is good, or the teller doesn't notice it, it often goes right back into circulation.

Most counterfeits that make their way into rotation tend to be very good. It's entirely possible for a teller to recieve one and not realize it. It's unfortunate that it happens, but that's why the punishment for counterfeiting is so severe.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Dec '14

It was from PNC bank in Mansfield. The person who received it had it in the bank envelope when he gave it to me. He went back to PNC with the paperwork I received from the bank, as he wanted to find out what recourse he had as well. He was told by the teller who originally did the withdrawal transaction that nothing could be done. If I do withdrawals in large bills, going forward, I'm asking for 5s, 10s and 20s. Or ask the teller to 'verify' each large bill before I step away from the window.

Denise Denise
Dec '14

I work at a bank and If you been in the banking business for as many years as i have been you would know what and how a counterfeit feels and looks like without running it through the money counter. I dont believe that the counterfeit came from the bank. Those bills have to be confiscated and reported with a generated report that gets sent to the goverment. Unfortunatly trying to pass it off could get you in trouble knowing that it is counterfeit.

dyana dyana
Dec '14

The bank doesnt know for sure you got it from them. Unfortunately you are out $100. That sucks!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

When a bank gets a new shipment of bills they run it thru the machine to count it and check for fakes. Most fakes come in from business deposits. Customer used the fake at their store and then they deposit it at the bank. You'd be surprise at how bad some of these fakes are and can't imagine the store didn't catch it. There are also some really good fakes. That is why Those deposits should b all run thru the machine to check and count.

The bank I work in is in a strip mall and one day we had 8 stores bring in the same fake $100. Someone went to all of their shops with fake $100 bill with the same serial # and bought same items and got clean money with their change.

I'm surprised PNC didn't catch it. Most banks will scan every $100 that comes in

Darwin Darwin
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.